• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
. My recommendation is getting that final character, picking a party of four, and sticking with those. After you did all the chapters of those four, do the remaining ones. That way you'll not risk compromising the game's balance too much early on, you'll get more narrative pay-off more quickly, and you won't be staring at the game's structure as much.
This is how I did it. After finishing those 4 stories had a small break and did the rest.

Pretty hyperbolic comments saying the game is "pretty bad". At least it plays great unlike one recent cowboy game. It has it weakness in structure being repetitive but that's pretty much it. Stories are fine, art, music and combat is great.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it but I could instantly tell from the demo that it was going to be a game that was hated here because it's not focused on a traditional story
I don't think that's true. Games like SaGa Frontier take non-traditional narrative approaches and are still beloved. What's terrible about Octopath Traveler is that every single chapter of the game, outside of one Olberic chapter, plays out in the exact same way. You get to a new town, use your special ability a few times, talk to some people, go into whatever dungeon is right next to the town, follow the same repetitive dungeon layout for a few screens, and then fight a boss. End of chapter. It's horrible game design and I hope Octopath's critical and commercial acclaim doesn't lead to Square thinking it worked.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's true. Games like SaGa Frontier take non-traditional narrative approaches and are still beloved. What's terrible about Octopath Traveler is that every single chapter of the game, outside of one Olberic chapter, plays out in the exact same way. You get to a new town, use your special ability a few times, talk to some people, go into whatever dungeon is right next to the town, follow the same repetitive dungeon layout for a few screens, and then fight a boss. End of chapter. It's horrible game design and I hope Octopath's critical and commercial acclaim doesn't lead to Square thinking it worked.
I will say that repetitiveness didn't bother me personally, maybe because I played it in small chunks over a long time. But even before you get to that point I think people were expecting a more traditional Final Fantasy-like set up. I just remember having a feeling playing even the first scenario that this wasn't going to be what a lot of Era members want it to be.

OP
OP
Oct 2, 2018

AYyyyyyee. That reads exactly like what Octopath is to me. I've forgotten to mention that the dungeon is next to the town even. Its always next to the town.

I'm curious now: I'd like to read your thread on Octopath.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It does not get good. It is flawed on a conceptual level, and you should've seen it coming as I did in the prologue demo.

*Puts on sunglasses*

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the game, I dont agree with your assesment of the game. It's great in my book.

Looks and sounds great, great fighting system, several of the stories are interesting. Never really understood the criticism that there has to be a common quest between them, enjoy all stories as stand alone and then it's not really any issue at all.

Sorry that you didnt enjoy the game OP.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I unlocked all the initial members... and then just put the game down to play something else... tried to go back multiple times and just got bored. Had fun with it for like 10 - 15 hours I think? It was just so repetitive, it felt like going through the motions. It felt like playing a bunch of short games instead of one big one, and they all sorta felt the same. Shame, I think it had more potential if they would have focused on one good story.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I loved the game, I dont agree with your assesment of the game. It's great in my book.

Looks and sounds great, great fighting system, several of the stories are interesting. Never really understood the criticism that there has to be a common quest between them, enjoy all stories as stand alone and then it's not really any issue at all.

Sorry that you didnt enjoy the game OP.

Yea and I hope Square continues to make more.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
If what you want out of an RPG is for a really good author to tell you a compellingly written story, yeah, you're not going to get that here. The game plays more like a true RPG in that it expects the players to inject creativity and life into the characters. It also expects you to be able to completely ignore any of the characters, so it doesn't spend a lot of time trying to integrate every character into multiple stories.

As for the game mechanics: the combat gets a lot more dynamic after the first chapters. But the map design is mostly the same, leaning on different types of locations rather than wildly different design templates. If what you want out of RPGs is an open world, a lot of locations to find, and combat scenarios galore, it's all there. But don't expect wild and crazy twists in terms of what you'll see and what you have to do to progress.

This is very much a subtractive game that cuts away anything that could be seen as extraneous. Since I personally find most of the "extra stuff" RPGs try to do outside their core mechanics to be tedious or unfun, I loved this game. But I can see how others would find it too rote.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Quit around the same point for largely the same reasons.

The boss fights at least woke me up after long hibernation stretches stemming from the tactless fodder battles and chapter 1 stories.

The music was strong and I tried desperately to keep attentive performing as many NPC requests for item hunts and deliveries to keep my mind a bit focused, but the 10-12 hours I put in were mostly dull. There is an interesting combat system herein, but the endless fodder fights almost never demanded much from it beyond obvious status breaking with the same repetitive skills with little variation. The environments were uninteresting and I also felt the excessive bloom obfuscated a lot of the visual flair.

I love jRPGs, but Octopath is one I just couldn't commit to.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's true. Games like SaGa Frontier take non-traditional narrative approaches and are still beloved.
Or the Etrian Odyssey games. Gameplay first (or gameplay only) JRPGs can work and have worked in the past, and I agree with you OT has issues that sabotage its core gameplay on a fundamental level.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, the Chapter 2s for each character are what got me super interested in the stories. That's generally where they fleshed out the major conflicts and characters, but it's a big ask to get through Ch 2 of everyone before writing it off. The combat alone kept me going through the Ch1s.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately Octopath is what it is

I finished it on its merits alone though

The best parts being about half the stories, the combat and boss battles, the music and character building/treasure hunting

This is not a game that lends itself well to marathoning though

Play a chapter at a time if you intend to finish it

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
I enjoy an old school JRPG, but old school JRPG's had stories. Most JPRG's have a story. This sort of doesn't.
It has vignettes, I'd say. It's a bunch of (mostly) interconnected episodes happenning across a surprisingly well-realized 2D open world. The lack of an overt "world ending" storyline until the optional post-ending dungeon brings personal journeys to the forefront, which are boosted by a lot of interesting towns and NPCs.

An example of this is the dogs during Therion's first chapter. There are a bunch of fierce-looking guard dogs outside the mansion, and that's something a lot of other RPGs wouldn't give much thought to. However, if you take the time to investigate their thoughts, there's a short and SUPER bittersweet tale in there.

Or the mid-game sidequest about a man who's sentenced to death and asks you to track down his former love interest. The way that one ends is absolutely not how I expected in a cutesy 16-bit influenced RPG.

Stuff like this made me care for this world, its inhabitants, its customs and history.

Basically, the game is more interested in sweet snippets of storytelling than in an overarching narrative. I honestly had never seen a RPG work like that, and thought it was a neat idea and a breath of fresh air.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a bad game by any stretch, it just never grabbed me. I enjoy the graphics, music, and overall gameplay, but it never really transcended the sum of its parts to become something I wanted to sink hours and hours into. Whenever I think that I want to return to it I inevitably end up playing something else.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't like it now, you never will. It was my GotY from beginning to end. Loved the individual stories and how they tapped into the nostalgia of playing games like FF1 for the first time as a kid.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
Love the soundtrack, best JRPG soundtrack in years since the original Xenoblade Chronicles or something, but the awful stories just made the game boring and I lost interest.

It would be interesting to see how large % of the game owners actually beat the game.

OP
OP
Oct 2, 2018
It does not get good. It is flawed on a conceptual level, and you should've seen it coming as I did in the prologue demo.

*Puts on sunglasses*

Ive only heard great things and it was a lighting sale on amazon so I bought it. I didn't play the demo. I also watched a few reviews that were favourable but man... here we are

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Easily the biggest disappointment of the gen for me. This was the game I was most excited to play when I got my switch. Luckily I saw enough in the demo to rent the game instead of buying it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights for me Story wise were Olberic, Therion, Haanit, Cyrus and surprisingly Tressa.

Alfin, Ophilia and Primrose were a bit lacking in comparison.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I think the fixation on Octopath's repetition is a bit of a misdiagnosis. House M.D. proved that people are fine with a predictable narrative structure as long the characters and conflicts that inhabit it are engaging. Now there's a difference between TV consumption and playing a video game, but it's a unintuitive take to say the biggest flaw of a game that belongs to a genre synonymous with grinding is that it forces the player into repeating the same pattern over and over again.

If I'm right then the pacing between story and gameplay parts, the lack of an overarching motivator and the fact that even if, say, four of the traveler's individual journeys are to your taste that still means you're not really interested in half the story are the bigger problems.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completely understand everyone that bounced off the game. For me, the combination of the music, the town design and the combat system carried and pushed beyond the weaker parts of the game. The boss battle design and music is some of the best of 2018 though.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It doesn't get much better in chapters 3 and 4 for each character, honestly. Travel to town, use path action, go to cookie cutter dungeon with its requisite 2 or 3 short, poorly hidden side paths, fight a boss, watch a boring cutscene with no sprite animations. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I've been told that the endgame is a bit different but motherfuck playing the same shit 32 times to get there with even the easiest low level enemies being a slog to break and kill.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately Octopath is what it is

I finished it on its merits alone though

The best parts being about half the stories, the combat and boss battles, the music and character building/treasure hunting

This is not a game that lends itself well to marathoning though

Play a chapter at a time if you intend to finish it
Exactly this. Playing a chapter per play session is the best way to play through Octopath.

I'd go to a new town; read through everyone's backstory with Cyrus's ability; finish a character's chapter; then quit the game and come back in a day or two. The story recap before the start of a chapter really helped with leisurely resuming play days later.

It's one of my top games of 2018; but I can understand people disliking the game if they're trying to marathon through it.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Put over 100hrs on this game, loved every second of it.

Could not defeat the optional final boss though and I had a pretty OP party.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not really a game that grows on you the more you play it. Alternatively, it's also not a game that gets measurably worse as it goes on. Its' biggest issue is that it is incredibly repetitive and the quality is dispersed so evenly that the entire game feels like this unchanging malaise that is there until you bore of it.

Which is a shame because the visuals, battle mechanics and soundtrack are the absolute top tier of the genre and legitimately push certain design elements forward in a meaningful way. It's hard to determine if the direction of the game is what weakens the overall experience or the writing/budget constraints.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Try to level as little as possible and go kill the 32 bosses. Its fun to be under the recommended levels. Its fun trying to abuse the job system. Story is just a dressing, but party banter is a great reward.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
My recommendation is getting that final character, picking a party of four, and sticking with those. After you did all the chapters of those four, do the remaining ones. That way you'll not risk compromising the game's balance too much early on, you'll get more narrative pay-off more quickly, and you won't be staring at the game's structure as muc
That's a horrible recommendation. The game would be much more repetitive like this. I cannot fathom why people did this at all. To me the fun of Octopath was switching up my characters and the story every chapter I played to see new combinations. My wife played the same way. Picking four and never changing just sounds godawful. It would emphasize the game's structure much moreso I would think.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Could not defeat the optional final boss though and I had a pretty OP party.
I *almost* gave up, and ended up stringing a series of successful turns in what was supposed to be my very last try. It was fucking intense, to say the least.

I must say (again) that I love what they did with that dungeon, by the way:

Getting to a place that was mentioned several times but that I never though would be in the game was cool enough, but the way the stories all tied together seemingly out of nowhere was pure genius. The H'aanit connection in particular blew my mind - especially because it's basically only hinted at, and probably went over a lot of people's heads!

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's my Game of The Year just ahead of Celeste but I can see why it isn't for everyone. If you aren't enjoying it now, you definitely won't later on.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
From the demo I really loved the battles and music, really stellar stuff. However the graphics and story didn't do anything for me and so never really picked it up after being distracted elsewhere. I nearly fell asleep during one of the dialogues, think it was the priestess. In contrast the fights are quick, tactical and fun. Meh.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The Boss b
That's a horrible recommendation. The game would be much more repetitive like this. I cannot fathom why people did this at all. To me the fun of Octopath was switching up my characters and the story every chapter I played to see new combinations. My wife played the same way. Picking four and never changing just sounds godawful. It would emphasize the game's structure much moreso I would think.

Well irritatingly they put shit in the game like having to have Therion in the party to open purple chests or being reliant on Path actions for cleaning up a town

I also really enjoyed using all the characters but had no interest in doubling back to pick up treasure I missed so Therion was typically a lock

Also locking the player to using the initial character until AFTER all chapters are completed was also a silly decision since there is no mechanical or narrative reason to lock slot 1 once all characters are unlocked

I love the game but there are many upon many lessons that could be learned here for future titles

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't get much better in chapters 3 and 4 for each character, honestly. Travel to town, use path action, go to cookie cutter dungeon with its requisite 2 or 3 short, poorly hidden side paths, fight a boss, watch a boring cutscene with no sprite animations. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I've been told that the endgame is a bit different but motherfuck playing the same shit 32 times to get there with even the easiest low level enemies being a slog to break and kill.

The endgame boss is ridiculously hard if you don't do any leveling or if you don't find hidden jobs. I would argue it's almost impossible without doing that. I think it's worth it because again the challenge of the boss, the music, the lore you get. For a lot of people, I don't think they'd think so.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
It's hard to determine if the direction of the game is what weakens the overall experience or the writing/budget constraints.

You can't answer that question without looking at Bravely Default and Bravely Second. Octopath is at least much smarter in the hook it found to get multiple uses out of the same assets, but it still shares this feeling of an idea that verges on greatness if only it was executed with a little more money.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Well irritatingly they put shit in the game like having to have Therion in the party to open purple chests or being reliant on Path actions for cleaning up a town

I also really enjoyed using all the characters but had no interest in doubling back to pick up treasure I missed so Therion was typically a lock

Also locking the player to using the initial character until AFTER all chapters are completed was also a silly decision since there is no mechanical or narrative reason to lock slot 1 once all characters are unlocked

The Therion thing is just gamer OCD stuff. You never really got anything THAT great in the chests. Typically I'd double back for them with a different party or something and didn't mind, but nothing's forcing you to have Therion there.

And yeah I do agree locking 1 character was a dumb decision. It was the worst decision they made in designing the game, I think. Even so, I still think sticking with 4 characters and not changing would emphasize the structural repetition and make combat more repetitious, too.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I enjoyed it enough to spend 130 hours with it according to my Switch profile, so..sounds like it's just not for you.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This game falling short in the story department is an extreme bummer. Everything else about it looks awesome and apparently the combat is fun, but I just can't play JRPGs purely for the combat anymore.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can't answer that question without looking at Bravely Default and Bravely Second. Octopath is at least much smarter in the hook it found to get multiple uses out of the same assets, but it still shares this feeling of an idea that verges on greatness if only it was executed with a little more money.
I'm glad you mentioned Bravely Default/Second because the shortcomings of this game to me feel right in line with those two games. That said, no amount of budget is going to fix the issues with the writing or character interactions. I think they need to take a serious look at their approach to the format when they inevitably tackle the sequel.

Flawed as it is, the game 100% deserved to be a commercial hit.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It admittedly took me a bit to get into. Bought it before vacation over the summer to play on the plane. (10 hours of flying in total) I wasn't loving it at first, but by the time I got back home I was super hooked. The combat, job system, functional character customization, and team building dynamics are the main stars here. The story can range from weak to good, but I don't feel that it ever becomes something engrossing if that's what you're looking for.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I was hyped as hell, my girlfriend gift it to me for my birthday and we were both so happy.
I lied to her and told her i completed it, actually dropped it after 10 hours.
Sorry honey.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Structurally it's going to remain the same anyway. Every character basically has a noble/rogue clone too, so whether you stick with one set of four or do all eight makes no real difference in variety. I attempted doing everyone at once for everyone's chapter 1s and 2s, and it severely magnified the repetition. Moving things along staved that off. By moving on to later chapters, he'll be able to counter the "braindead" vibe he got from the combat. The steeper challenges will start demanding more from him, and he won't be overlevelled, like you would be if you do 'em all at once. It's also the quickest path to unshackling you from your main character, which shouldn't have been a thing in the first place. The subjobs gave me plenty of flexibility to work with, so I never felt like I was missing out on tactical options. If you had a different experience, then fair enough though.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Structurally it's going to remain the same anyway. Every character basically has a noble/rogue clone too, so whether you stick with one set of four or do all eight makes no real difference in variety. I attempted doing everyone at once for everyone's chapter 1s and 2s, and it severely magnified the repetition. Moving things along staved that off. By moving on to later chapters, he'll be able to counter the "braindead" vibe he got from the combat. The steeper challenges will start demanding more from him, and he won't be overlevelled, like you would be if you do 'em all at once. It's also the quickest path to unshackling you from your main character, which shouldn't have been a thing in the first place. The subjobs gave me plenty of flexibility to work with, so I never felt like I was missing out on tactical options. If you had a different experience, then fair enough though.

I disagree with almost all of this vehemently.

The game is not made to do 4 characters at once and then the rest. The level suggestions show just that. The challenge will demand way more for a bit and then the back half of the game will be stupid easy braindead shit if you do it that way. By switching things up you're getting new characters, new perspectives, and keeping levels within where the game was designed to be. Everyone's chapter 1 is indeed a bit easy but Chapter 2 starts demanding more anyway. Hell, I swear half the damned OT was people thinking they already had to grind not doing it your way. How do you even know who you want as your four before doing chapter 1 anyway? So basically you go through the 'boring' part then hit a bit of a wall in chapter 3 and maybe grind through 4 and then the game is a breeze for the back half... why? I don't get it.

I'm seriously just mindblower anyone would suggest this way to play the game. It's not how it was designed and it makes almost every flaw worse.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you mentioned Bravely Default/Second because the shortcomings of this game to me feel right in line with those two games. That said, no amount of budget is going to fix the issues with the writing or character interactions. I think they need to take a serious look at their approach to the format when they inevitably tackle the sequel.

Flawed as it is, the game 100% deserved to be a commercial hit.

Yeah, there's room for a more intricate narrative. They sold it as "SaGa, but you do all 8 plots on the same file", and that's what we got.

SaGa Frontier has better world building and some more interesting set pieces, but far less character interaction or developed individual plots.

There's should have been a round of Banter scenes for Chapter 1, and for post-game.

Last edited:

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I actually LOVED the first 20 hours and then dropped it because of a few major design decisions. If you don't love the first few hours, I'd say to do the same.