• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 2, 2018
I've basically collected 7 of the travellers now, their background stories are mostly turgidly told and sort of boring and the combat while interesting is mechanically with the breaks and mechanics - is currently just sort of rote and mechanical.

Add to that the map design in this faux 3D which were all corridor funnels with side paths to treasure chests that don't even seem to matter and all sort of the same size and there's actually a saminess to the spaces if you think about it. If the texture maps for the spaces were removed, they could all be the same - Each area will have about 5 chests, and the maps are all semi-small and you fight a few random encounters and then you'll find a merchant, save game point and the boss fight

I've played 8+ hours and haven't yet had to use the inn, the combat started off semi difficult but really 2 hours in is now sort of brain dead. Yes, there is some depth but its not fun like how FFIII used to be or say FFX.

There doesn't seem to be a common quest (and I've read as much) and despite all these characters, the game feels … sorta dead. The characters I've accumulated don't even seem to interact. "Oh you met XYZ character, join him/her on their quest and they don't really figure into each individuals story nor do they interact" There's non of the FFIII storyline line to the characters - they all gotta go on an adventure. OH FUCK ME.

…. TLDR: Why is this game so soulless? and when does it get good?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I played the demo and wasn't really feeling it. It's on sale and I keep going back on forth on whether to buy it, but considering Vesperia is coming, I'll hold off for a while.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
From what I've read both here and Reddit, the game essentially stays that way the whole time. It's the exact reason why I haven't even bothered to play it.

Jul 26, 2018
It seems like a game that got hyped, reviewed well and then a few months later people are shitting on it in every thread... We get this type of thing with a game or two every year.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
The soul isn't in the story or characters for this game I'm afraid. It's completely in the combat mechanics and in the way you adjust your party to boss fights and other challenges.

The quests are all mostly the same for each character with, as you call it, different textures on it. The difference is mostly in the boss fights, which is exactly what I consider the meat and potatoes of the game. Personally I find the garnish (= the graphics) extremely pretty as well, but if you don't even get a kick out of that, this will be rough for you.
I think a better comparison than FFIII (unless you have this weird American numeration) is FFV and its job system. Or Bravely Default, which also had a garbage story (and insufferable padding), but was really fun to play and find ways in to cheese difficult fights.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember having criticisms about the demo and getting trashed on. Now all I hear is mostly negative things about this game

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Their stories don't really start getting more interesting until chapter 2 or 3 depending on the characters. That is a con of the game even though I do really like it: All chapter 1s are not as good out of the gate.

I'd say the stories that are the most interesting are Therion, Primrose, H'aanit, Olberic and Tressa. If you're still not enjoying it after those characters chapter 2s then you should probably stop imo.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Just wait for the inevitable sequel. This game has a lot going for it in terms of systems, graphics, etc, but the story just seems terrible and borderline non-existent.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it in the first placed, and I continued to love it during the play through. So, probably it won't get any better for you, unfortunately

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I've not finished it either, however it does get a bit better in the chapter 2's. There's a bit of a difficulty spike depending on what gear you have (personally I didn't find it tough but I've heard others complain) also you can go round getting access to the classes for the subclass spot which makes the combat more involving. The stories get a bit more interesting(still no overarching story mind you) and characters do actually start interacting bit through "skits" (basically like the skits in Tales of if you've ever played those games) though those skits are still not really a good replacement for actual cutscenes with other characters involvement since they're short and only between two characters.

That all said, the dungeon design doesn't. If anything it becomes more apparent as you see the same dungeon assets reused time and time again.

I think the game has some interesting ideas, but I do hope they improve on some things if they ever made a second.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just wait for the inevitable sequel. This game has a lot going for it in terms of systems, graphics, etc, but the story just seems terrible and borderline non-existent.

Have you played each character's story? There is definitely a plot for each character with different motivations.

Eh, I honestly like the different approach Octopath took to its stories. It's not too often that a JRPG is largely about an ensemble cast dealing with their personal problems rather than a world ending threat. I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Honestly it never really did for me. I put in about 15 hours and just started playing something else. I didn't dislike the game but it didn't grab me like I expected it to. I will get back to it someday...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stories tend to take on more dramatic turns around chapter 3 and most of the chapter 4 boss fights are mechanically interesting. The game also gets more combat variety when you pick up the hidden special classes. I enjoyed my playthrough from start to finish, but I think if you're invested in the characters the back half is more interesting.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
From the moment you boot the game, you not liking the game doesn't make it bad.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to break it to you but the game is dogshit. Unlike you, I dug the combat but felt similarly about everything else you mentioned. Drop it and play good games instead.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still making my way through it, but I'm finding it hard to stay interested, 44hrs in, I've finished I think 4 of the stories. While I get that a lot of people like the smaller stakes and personal stories, having character interaction being just little 20-30second bits really pulls me out of the story. Just having the 1 character in all cutscenes, then getting the + Dialog scenes where it's basically "Hey, don't forget we're here too! We're on an adventure together! We'll fade into nothing until you kill the next boss." makes me care so much less about the characters.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
It's why I bought a Switch. I am glad I bought a Switch. I am playing Dead Cells on my Switch.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Their stories don't really start getting more interesting until chapter 2 or 3 depending on the characters. That is a con of the game even though I do really like it: All chapter 1s are not as good out of the gate.

I'd say the stories that are the most interesting are Therion, Primrose, H'aanit, Olberic and Tressa. If you're still not enjoying it after those characters chapter 2s then you should probably stop imo.

Olberic's 2nd chapter is the coliseum fight, or is that in chapter 3? That one was really fun and finally broke the sameness of the dungeons for me.
Some of the side quests are really funny as well, they are unfortunately a bit hard to track though.
I can't believe someone called Therion's story interesting though.

This game has a lot of QoL issues, including no mini map for some of the more confusing areas, so if you don't already enjoy the game play loop, I'm not sure the game has a lot else going for it to draw you in.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't, it's an exercise in repetition. I forced myself to finish everyones chapter 4 I think, but then it was too much and I dropped it. Such a disappointing game. I don't even mind the shallow narrative, but it's just a badly designed world and the dungeons are absolute dogshit. Then the predictable bosses have simple pattern that you see through in a second and you repeat it for 15 minutes to win. It's a 30-hour game stretched to 70+ hours. So many games these days do this too and it's starting to wear thin.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped it, but at least it gave me some music to listen to on youtube at work.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I tried to warn people.
People were so mad at you in that thread!

On topic, I'm currently about half-way through the game (two Chapter 2's to go) and my opinion has actually grown more positive as I've played. The increase in difficulty and the character progression bring out the strength of the mechanics in the game, and once I came to terms with the structured feel of everything I was able to settle in and enjoy the experience. The individual stories are well written with interesting characters, and the general presentation of the game is phenomenal. I love mechanically rich JRPG's and Bravely Default has one of my favorite battle systems so I was always excited at the idea of Octopath.

I can definitely see why this game isn't for everyone, it's honestly a strange amalgamation of ideas. If you aren't feeling it after a few Chapter 2's I'd say it's probably not for you.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I tried to warn people.
Eh, the game seems to be doing great in the game of the year voting thread, and has plenty of love, even amongst those who acknowledge its shortcomings. I don't really think people are "coming around" to it having actually been a bad game all along.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you don't like it where you are OP then I'd say drop it because what is left just more of the same.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I felt like the game didn't click until I started getting secondary classes for my characters. That's when the combat started to click with me. It's a fun game but only if you enjoy the combat.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never gets good. It's a bad game. Nothing came together. Huge disappointment.

EDIT: not true, combat came together. That was very good. Keep that and get rid of everything else.

Including the art style.

Last edited:

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I'm loving it so far (about to start chapter 4's). The look, combat and music are top-tier and for me they make this game worth finishing. The story and characters seem to be the weakest links though - they're acceptable. Looking forward to a sequel already.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The game started getting 'good' for me once I got 4 party characters. The already good combat was clicking more and I was getting more into the music and character vignettes, which while not super complex are still entertaining enough.

I'm about 30 hours in on the chapter 2s, have it on hold at the moment but will jump back in when I can.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Olberic's 2nd chapter is the coliseum fight, or is that in chapter 3? That one was really fun and finally broke the sameness of the dungeons for me.
Some of the side quests are really funny as well, they are unfortunately a bit hard to track though.
I can't believe someone called Therion's story interesting though.

This game has a lot of QoL issues, including no mini map for some of the more confusing areas, so if you don't already enjoy the game play loop, I'm not sure the game has a lot else going for it to draw you in.
I'm not on Therion's chapter 4 yet, but the premise is kinda funny to me given what he does lol. I don't like the side quest implementation at all though. Too obscure at times.

Fortunately the battle system is really good.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't. I finished chapter 4 for two of the characters, chapter 3 for four of them, and two characters I only finished two chapters. The stories and characters are just terrible. The battle system is fun at first but eventually becomes tedious due to all the random encounters (even with the ability to limit them). Boss encounters do some fun things with the battle system, but it's not enough. Dungeons are all short and uninteresting. I started out loving the game, but it pretty quickly turned to hate. I tried to force myself to finish it, but eventually I had to give up.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think the game remains divisive. I enjoyed it enough to beat it, but not enough to pursue any additional content in the post game.

The boss fights and pulling off different combos with my party (along with working the job system) are where I found the game most engaging. A lot of them were basically puzzles that had to be cracked. I don't think I really got into the job system until after the first chapter, so maybe you will start enjoying the combat more then?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I'm loving it so far (about to start chapter 4's). The look, combat and music are top-tier and for me they make this game worth finishing. The story and characters seem to be the weakest links though - they're acceptable. Looking forward to a sequel already.
This thread is negative on the game, but I wouldn't say your opinion on the game is unpopular on Era.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I think most people who are disappointed in the game feel so because there is so much potential here and I think people expected more from the characters and story. If you dive in with reasonable expectations I think you'll have fun. It's definitely an above average RPG and easily one of my favourite Switch games from last year.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The structure never changes, but the combat gets better and better the further you go into the game because it is legitimately difficult unless you grind for money to buy OP equipment early on. If the battle system isn't doing it for you and you're bored by the structure of the game and don't care about the story, then unfortunately it doesn't seem like the game is going to work out for you.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Dungeons aren't good and the character stories are kinda middling at best.

The combat and the music were great though.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
If you ask the question now, the answer is never: Never.

Because there's no hope for you enjoying Octopath Traveler unless you think it starts great with Primrose's chapter and then the question is "When does it get this good again?"

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If you didn't like those 8 hours, the rest is going to be the same.

The game never changes its Chapter structure, never add new mechanics or new twist.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta bail. I didn't make it past about half the chapter 2s and absolutely nothing changes. OP's description of everything feeling rote and lifeless is spot on. Such a shame because the whole presentation, the graphics, art design, music and everything are so enchanting. Now if they could just fill that beautiful shell with more meaningful interactions, variety, writing, exploring, pacing, etc. then we could have an excellent sequel.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that this game being a classic rpg with the good graphics combined with being a nintendo exclusive made some people overhype it to heavens without actually bothering to play much of it

Last edited:

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like a game that got hyped, reviewed well and then a few months later people are shitting on it in every thread... We get this type of thing with a game or two every year.
We get a lot of threads critizising all kinds of games. Going by ERA threads, BotW and RDR2 are divisive games. Fact is just that people who enjoyed something feel less need to voice their opinion on stuff.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The game was an absolute delight from the beginning for me. Seems like it's not for you I guess. It's my GOTY though and one of my favorite JRPGs in a long time. It's got a ridiculous amount of soul in it. The art, music, combat and characters were all awesome. I even really ended up loving a lot of the side characters by the end. And the combat is some of my favorite ever.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think most people who are disappointed in the game feel so because there is so much potential here and I think people expected more from the characters and story. If you dive in with reasonable expectations I think you'll have fun. It's definitely an above average RPG and easily one of my favourite Switch games from last year.
There is a lot of room for improvement in a sequel or spiritual successor no doubt. I think we will probably see something else from that team/studio in 2019 announced and I'll be interested to see what it is. Square said that studio would be dedicated to Switch games before the release of Octopath.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
It gets better and better actually but it seems like this game isn't for you OP. I loved every minute of it.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Only played the first demo which really impressed me but going by what you describe I think I will definitely not buy this game even at a discount, sounds really bad.