• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Razors Version is wack too. Absolute embarrassment to the glory that was Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played vanilla NG3 beyond the demo but I was dumb enough to buy Razor's Edge for PS3 and its one of the worst games I played that year. I can't imagine how bad vanilla must be.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Action games that constantly thumb their nose at the player saying "YEAH you like this problematic ultra violence huh you sick fuck!!!" Gotta be the worst woke trend and I blame hotline Miami and spec ops the line
Hotline did it while being fun and enjoying it. Spec ops does it while being the most mind numbing brain dead cover shooter. And then had the gall to act like you enjoyed that shit, and it's like no I didn't, I don't feel like a hero, I feel like angry Nolan north upset at how lame this all is.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I recall Jose from IGN saying on a podcast or a video that he felt Ninja Gaiden 3 was one of the first truly mature games, which always stood out as absurd.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Action games that constantly thumb their nose at the player saying "YEAH you like this problematic ultra violence huh you sick fuck!!!" Gotta be the worst woke trend and I blame hotline Miami and spec ops the line

Yeah, must've been the sick influence of two (excellent) games released after vanilla NG3.

The main culprit for the direction of NG3 was God Of War, hence the aboundance of QTE, simplified combat and the focus on story. They wanted the sweet sweet western money and fucked up their best franchise in the attempt.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I had to review vanilla, and wasn't that big a fan of the first two, so it was fucking torture. Repetitive, faux-edgy, button-mashing torture.

At least it helped me appreciate its predecessors more.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I remember when they first showed off gameplay and I couldn't believe how such a title could be made. It was a really weird time for a lot of Japanese game studios around that time. I had an interesting time hanging out around weak enemies, waiting for strong enemies to get close, and then using blade on bone to defeat the weaker enemy allowing me to quickly chain into the stronger enemy and kill it with no trouble.

I think Team Ninja, at least Fumihiko Yasuda, has taken the right lessons away from 3. As he mentions in his GDC talk on the development of Nioh (6:33):
"So I was also the director in charge of Ninja Gaiden 3 as well as Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, two different projects which I learned very difficult and valuable lessons from, and based on those experiences I really just had to remind myself in the beginning oh Nioh's development that I should never compromise our core audience and the integrity of our work."
He also talks about how Nioh was developed to appeal to a core player base instead of trying to aim for a large player base.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is probably my most played "bad" game though. It's still far from a good game, but I get my own fun out of it.