• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
So I love horror movies, and I love trash. And I love trashy horror movies.

So right away I would have thought A Nightmare on Elm street would be perfect for me. So I decided, as I do that I would binge the entire franchise...and so I did, from the first one up until the eventual reboot.

So lets dive deep into the franchise and see where this mish mash of horror tropes, cliches, and plots as thin as freddies finger knive things.

Each day i'll go into one of the movies in the timeline, so lets get the first one out of the way.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

This film starts off simple enough in the town of Spring wood Ohio. teenagers being teenagers in the 80's. Booze, sex and rock and roll. And lots of noisy sex.

One the teens has recurring dreams of being stalked by a sinister shadowy man in a dingy hat and claws for fingers. While she's at sleep over with her friends, and having annoyingly loud sex she falls asleep and is acosted by her dream stalker. The scene in which she is killed is actually fairly well done for the time, with her being dragged through the air and eviscerated all while her boyfriend watches helplessly.

She dies horribly, and he runs off scared out of his mind and thus a manhunt ensues for the boyfriend thinking that he killed his girlfriend out of jealousy.

Then we're introduced to Nancy, a recurring character and one of the main faces of the franchise. She's just a normal teen (whose dad is also a sherriff) and not much else. She then starts having similar dreams of her recently deceased friend...and then we get to see freddy much much more clearly. And his introduction is not really what I was expecting. The first time we see Freddy he's pretty much a cartoon character

giphy.gif

It's actually a good establishing shot for him, even though it's rather silly it showcases the absurdity of what freddy is capable of and how he can do whatever he wants in the dream world. So anyway, Nancy has a few Dreams where freddy chases her and he doesnt really seem to do much other than play with her and have a good time about it. (The word bitch is thrown around quite often)

It should be noted that even though one of her friends died in such a horrific manner, nothing changes and nobody really seems to care all that much since the very next day everyone seems to just move on like nothing happened but the changing of the weather.

Anyway, Nancy becomes plagued by freddy in her dreams and refuses to sleep lest she freddy again. Everyone thinks she nuts, and rightly so. But she keeps producing evidence of freddy being real, inlcuding physical evidence at times in teh form of wounds and even his hat.

Nancy finds out that her parents all know who Freddy is, but dont believe her because Freddy was a horrible child murderer that they all formed a mob to kill for themselves after he was released on a technicality. So they mobbed up and burned him alive. So everything is fine and Nancy should get some rest. Except Nancy still has the dreams and more of her friends get killed...including her boyfriend.

This dude gets it so hard, you dont even see what happens besides the aftermath. In full view of his mother even.

tenor.gif

Anyway, Nancy gets fed up with being tormented and her friends killed and plans a way to kill Freddy somehow (Her plan is terrible) and creates home alone-esque traps to fuck with freddy once she gets her hands on him and bring him into the real world.

Cue an 80s montage of gadget making and later Nancy gets her hands on Freddy after he just slashes the air and knocks over a few things in the way (this will be a recurring trend since Freddy seems to have absolutely terrible hand eye coordination) She pulls him into the real world and hijinks ensue. But oh no, she's now trapped in the real world with Freddy and nothing seems to kill him anyway. So now he's lit on fire because somehow that's supposed to be his weakness...only he just runs off to go kill Nancys mom instead. And she instantly gets turned into a burned skeleton and gets lowered down into hell....for some reason. Also in full view of Nancy and her father too.

For some reason after all this, Nancy thinks if she just turns her back on freddy and refuses to believe in him...that all his power will stop and her friends and family will come back. She does this and Freddy dissapears into purple light.

Cue the next morning, Nancy says goodbye to her mom...and joins her friends for school like nothing every happened...except they get trapped in the Freddy mobile and sped off down the road while Nancy's mom obliviously watches...

0f0d4ace29d546b749eaad6ec5ec3a4c.gif

FIN

My thoughts

As the first movie in the franchise, this one actually holds up pretty well. It's dated for sure. But theres alot of charm to it in a nostalgia way. But it's also very thin in terms of plot or depth.

There's no rhyme or reason given for Freddy's abilities or why he's able to invade peoples dreams. The only thing we know at this point is that Freddy was a horrible child murder, he was gotten off atfer getting caught because of a technicality, and that the parents of SpringWood took it upon themselves to enact vigilante justice. Thats it. Nothing more than that. But he's back now and he's killing their kids for revenge.

It's simple, but...why is he a dream boogieman all of a sudden? no reason...he just is. (as of now)

There's nothing more to be said, beside that the effects and the deaths are very well done for the budget and time and are very effective and being truly horrifying expressions of Freddy's powers.

However Freddy himself is a silly caricature that is just kind of too damn goofy to take seriously

giphy.gif

A Nightmare on Elm Street was a simple and humble beginning to a franchise that simply didnt know when to die, how to die or what direction it should go moving forward. But it's a fun horror flick, with some great special effects.

Next up A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: FREDDIES REVENGE!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You're going to rattle some cages with that title.

The 1st, 3rd, 4th, and New Nightmare are all fun films. Even the lesser sequels have silly and fun effects that make them worth sitting through once. The second movie is probably the worst, but overall the franchise is pretty good (and more enjoyable than... some other horror series...)
Except I'm pretty sure that reboot was a nightmare of some kind, I'm almost certain that didn't happen in real life.

May 24, 2019
I disagree strongly with this thread's premise up till PT5.

e: Part 2 is not the worst. It's definitely the odd one out, but the homoerotic themes, be they intentional or not, make it a much more interesting movie than most other slashers.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I thought this was going to be about the TV series.

I always remember hating the second film. The films did get sillier as they went on, but the second was just weird.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
They're fun, but I just don't think they ever worked as horror films. I'm always baffled when people tell me they think the Nightmare movies are scary when the very first movie had the goof dial at like 60%, and the series only cranked it higher from there.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Part 2 is not the worst. It's definitely the odd one out, but the homoerotic themes, be they intentional or not, make it a much more interesting movie than most other slashers.
It's the least rewatchable for me. Even 5, with its abysmal acting and characters, at least had some interesting death scenes and effects to watch.
2 had no fun dream stuff, Freddy in the real world (what?), and it makes no sense with the mythology the first film set up.

The weird homoerotic stuff is funny to look back on though. It's a weird movie and a weirder sequel.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
What a unnecessarily terrible thread title.

Other horror franchises wish they were as great and interesting as Nightmare, even when you get to the true junk like Freddy's Dead there is still some interesting sfx sequences or filmmaking craft on display to make it not a complete wash.

And Dream Warriors is the best. The opening, from moment one 'til Kristen slits her wrist, is stellar.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I think the sequel that had him coming after the real life actress from the first film had great potential. The plot twist could have been Robert Englund going crazy and thinking he is Freddy.

May 24, 2019
I think 4 strikes the best balance of fun and creepiness (e: and 80's teeniness. Love the Karate guy.)
The movie theater dream loop was really impressive to me rewatching it a couple of years back, plus the best death in the series happens during that part.

edit: It's totally Renny Harlin's best movie after Long Kiss Goodnight.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Trash is a ridiculous phrase for a series of 7 where only 2 are really bad and only one of those 2 is boring

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite horror film series. i saw #1 when I was 10, we had got a VCR for the first time and my parents rented A Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist, and Witness from the local shop (in the UK, small convenience stores had video rental libraries, really cool!)

It scared the shit out of me, and I've loved the film ever since. I am 41 now :)

Anyway, 1>3>New Nightmare are my favourites, but I enjoy them all. Apart from the remake, wasn't really a fan.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I think the first one showcases Freddy at his best. His kept in the shadows and is actually pretty damn menacing

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
1 & 3 are classics in the horror genre. I don't think you're giving them enough credit. 2 is interesting because of the backstory of the actor and the themes littered throughout. 4 & onward are kind of campy garbage. A New Nightmare is good though.

The first Nightmare on Elm Street is actually my favorite film. Englund steals the show.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Like 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 all have redeeming quality from 1 and 3 being genre classics, 4 having incredibly inventive kills, 2 being some glorious LGBT subtext, and while 7 is not one of my favs I can't deny it's artfully meta

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen them all, but enjoy them and have the blu-ray set. From what I've watched, over the years and recently:

1>New Nightmare>2>3>4

I find 3 overrated and 2 underrated by people, to be honest. While 3 has the kids and their powers and teamups, I thought it was too cutesy, too fantastical (even for this series), and that it lacked a certain dark mood/style/atmosphere that the first two had (although they were different).

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah good movie, the first one.

My parents watched this on VHS, a rental.

My father was said to have gone out to the back shed to make sure it was locked.

When he came back to the house my mother had cheekily locked him out.

He was spooked from the movie, but at least my mother enjoyed his terror.

I was either a newborn or wasn't born yet

These horror movies were huge for a lot of us very young people growing up in that era, either watching it well before we shouldn't have or watching it with our parents or older friends/family members.

You can't put a value or really quantify that in modern terms. Sure, a kid could watch a Youtube movie - or stream something like Saw - but it's not at all the same as the event that a film - especially such a forbidden one - was back then.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
They are all less painful to sit through that most slasher franchises (oh god hellraiser pls), but there are some absolute stinkers.

There is a documentary named Never Sleep Again that's freaking great about this series. The part about 2 having gay subtext is hillarious.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird relationship with these films. My mother grew up with these films talking about them, and other 70's and 80's horror flicks, and one day in my early teens I took a summer and just watched the shit out of them , almost in sequence.

I wasn't really scared by the freddy films. I kinda got why folks would find em spooky at the time, and the premise is spooky. And i thought they were fun cheesy films at the time. So I have a weird knowledge of a few horror series , because mom thought they were cool and I decided " fuck it "

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I adore the second one more and more each viewing. It's so tart compared to the rest of the series, and can't help but stick out.

My site's sister YouTube channel just interviewed Director Jack Shoulder funny enough, and talks about the enormous pressure felt in the hand off to him from Wes Craven.

Perhaps this would be better served in the follow up thread, lol

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's the same as the Friday 13th series. Some are good, some are great but the majority are mediocre to poor.

Having said that I will say that New Nightmare was unfairly maligned when it was released back in the day. It was a far more insightful and forward thinking horror than people gave it credit for, predating Scream on the 'ironic' horror front by a couple of years. As both films were by Wes Craven I'd be inclined to say that the horror genre wouldn't have had it's resurgence in the late 90's without Craven first dipping his toes into the more knowing style of horror movie with this film.

Plus it was interesting to try and see them make Freddy more of a threat than he'd become in the later films of the series

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I enjoyed the second film, definitely the darkest of them all. 1,3 and 4 are my favourite though (younger me really enjoyed that nurse scene in 3!!). New Nightmare was good on first watch but is a slog to sit through again. 5 and 6 were pretty bad, apart from the odd comedic moment.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I love horror movies, and I love trash. And I love trashy horror movies.

So right away I would have thought A Nightmare on Elm street would be perfect for me. So I decided, as I do that I would binge the entire franchise...and so I did, from the first one up until the eventual reboot.

So lets dive deep into the franchise and see where this mish mash of horror tropes, cliches, and plots as thin as freddies finger knive things.

Each day i'll go into one of the movies in the timeline, so lets get the first one out of the way.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

This film starts off simple enough in the town of Spring wood Ohio. teenagers being teenagers in the 80's. Booze, sex and rock and roll. And lots of noisy sex.

One the teens has recurring dreams of being stalked by a sinister shadowy man in a dingy hat and claws for fingers. While she's at sleep over with her friends, and having annoyingly loud sex she falls asleep and is acosted by her dream stalker. The scene in which she is killed is actually fairly well done for the time, with her being dragged through the air and eviscerated all while her boyfriend watches helplessly.

She dies horribly, and he runs off scared out of his mind and thus a manhunt ensues for the boyfriend thinking that he killed his girlfriend out of jealousy.

Then we're introduced to Nancy, a recurring character and one of the main faces of the franchise. She's just a normal teen (whose dad is also a sherriff) and not much else. She then starts having similar dreams of her recently deceased friend...and then we get to see freddy much much more clearly. And his introduction is not really what I was expecting. The first time we see Freddy he's pretty much a cartoon character

giphy.gif

It's actually a good establishing shot for him, even though it's rather silly it showcases the absurdity of what freddy is capable of and how he can do whatever he wants in the dream world. So anyway, Nancy has a few Dreams where freddy chases her and he doesnt really seem to do much other than play with her and have a good time about it. (The word bitch is thrown around quite often)

It should be noted that even though one of her friends died in such a horrific manner, nothing changes and nobody really seems to care all that much since the very next day everyone seems to just move on like nothing happened but the changing of the weather.

Anyway, Nancy becomes plagued by freddy in her dreams and refuses to sleep lest she freddy again. Everyone thinks she nuts, and rightly so. But she keeps producing evidence of freddy being real, inlcuding physical evidence at times in teh form of wounds and even his hat.

Nancy finds out that her parents all know who Freddy is, but dont believe her because Freddy was a horrible child murderer that they all formed a mob to kill for themselves after he was released on a technicality. So they mobbed up and burned him alive. So everything is fine and Nancy should get some rest. Except Nancy still has the dreams and more of her friends get killed...including her boyfriend.

This dude gets it so hard, you dont even see what happens besides the aftermath. In full view of his mother even.

tenor.gif

Anyway, Nancy gets fed up with being tormented and her friends killed and plans a way to kill Freddy somehow (Her plan is terrible) and creates home alone-esque traps to fuck with freddy once she gets her hands on him and bring him into the real world.

Cue an 80s montage of gadget making and later Nancy gets her hands on Freddy after he just slashes the air and knocks over a few things in the way (this will be a recurring trend since Freddy seems to have absolutely terrible hand eye coordination) She pulls him into the real world and hijinks ensue. But oh no, she's now trapped in the real world with Freddy and nothing seems to kill him anyway. So now he's lit on fire because somehow that's supposed to be his weakness...only he just runs off to go kill Nancys mom instead. And she instantly gets turned into a burned skeleton and gets lowered down into hell....for some reason. Also in full view of Nancy and her father too.

For some reason after all this, Nancy thinks if she just turns her back on freddy and refuses to believe in him...that all his power will stop and her friends and family will come back. She does this and Freddy dissapears into purple light.

Cue the next morning, Nancy says goodbye to her mom...and joins her friends for school like nothing every happened...except they get trapped in the Freddy mobile and sped off down the road while Nancy's mom obliviously watches...

0f0d4ace29d546b749eaad6ec5ec3a4c.gif

FIN

My thoughts

As the first movie in the franchise, this one actually holds up pretty well. It's dated for sure. But theres alot of charm to it in a nostalgia way. But it's also very thin in terms of plot or depth.

There's no rhyme or reason given for Freddy's abilities or why he's able to invade peoples dreams. The only thing we know at this point is that Freddy was a horrible child murder, he was gotten off atfer getting caught because of a technicality, and that the parents of SpringWood took it upon themselves to enact vigilante justice. Thats it. Nothing more than that. But he's back now and he's killing their kids for revenge.

It's simple, but...why is he a dream boogieman all of a sudden? no reason...he just is. (as of now)

There's nothing more to be said, beside that the effects and the deaths are very well done for the budget and time and are very effective and being truly horrifying expressions of Freddy's powers.

However Freddy himself is a silly caricature that is just kind of too damn goofy to take seriously

giphy.gif

A Nightmare on Elm Street was a simple and humble beginning to a franchise that simply didnt know when to die, how to die or what direction it should go moving forward. But it's a fun horror flick, with some great special effects.

Next up A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: FREDDIES REVENGE!

Best Nightmare movie is the last one, New Nightmare.

After this, do Friday the 13th! It's a much better series IMO.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The best are 1 and New Nightmare. Never understood the love for dream warriors.

1 seems a bit dated but is creative and Freddy is iconic. New Nightmare kicked off the whole meta stuff in horror and Freddy is serious and scary again. The rest I haven't watched in years.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They are all less painful to sit through that most slasher franchises (oh god hellraiser pls), but there are some absolute stinkers.

There is a documentary named Never Sleep Again that's freaking great about this series. The part about 2 having gay subtext is hillarious.

That doc is amazing. I didn't even realize it was 4 hours long until it was over.

Oct 3, 2019
Nah. 1, 3 and 7 are legit good horror films. 2, 4 and 5 are a big step down but still fun to watch with some cool creative visuals and kills.

Now part 6...6 is trash. There I'll agree with you.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The original and Part 3 are really great horror movies, and the best in the series by far.

The rest are varying degrees of mediocre to good, but I enjoy them all, mainly for the kills and Robert Englund's Freddy, also being a big horror fan helps too.

Oct 25, 2017
TBH most horror franchises are trash outside of the original film that kick-started it.

After you move beyond the original and get into the sequels, they all become unintentional comedies, and I'll always love them for that.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I recently did something similar and watched all of them in the span of a couple of weeks. 1 and 3 are good, I think 3 is probably better than 1. It's an interesting franchise as each movie brings something new or of value to the franchise and has a theme. Now that is not to say that they're decent films but they do have themes. Movies 5 and 6 are super bad though. You're going to be in for a rough time as you get into the later films.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I love the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, it's actually my favorite horror franchise. Part 6 will forever be the worst of them though. That movie is so trash and the video game scene is embarrasing, I can barely make it through it. It also tries to explain Freddy's origins but after seeing that I think you'll agree that this was unnecessary. I mean even in the making of the producer's admitted they ran out of ideas for part 6 "the best thing we could come up with was the 3D stuff".

I have a soft spot for Nightmare 5. That movie has a beautiful athmosphere, continues the story from parts 3 and 4 instead of throwing everything away like 6 did and one thing that's awesome is that Freddy transforms into things his victims dream about. You have this comic artist and in his dream Freddy is a comic villain. Or the guy who likes motorcycles and Freddy transforms into one, which was also an awesome death scene btw.

I think I actually prefer Nightmare 3 over 1 btw. I never liked 1s ending and I think Langenkamp's acting improved a lot. That said New Nightmare could have been the best of them all. It just needed a few more kills, more gore and a different climax.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Parts 3 & 4 were shot at the same time and it shows. They are virtually identical in tone. They are tied for my second favorite in the series with part one, of course, being the clear stand out. I think Nightmare on Elm Street holds up better in a marathon than either Friday the 13th or Halloween.

Also, the TV series wasn't too terrible. Holy shit at the low budget though. I liked the fact that Freddy would show up every now and again in an actual episode instead of just hosting.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I remember only legitimately liking part 1 and 3. I think I liked 3 more than I should have because it was a return to form after the awful part 2.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
80s horror films like Nightmare shit over all the current horror films that come out now.

As someone who's consumed horror films for the past 30 years, I can tell you Nightmare earns its legendary status for a reason.

Even at its worst, Freddy is still better than 99% of the crap that comes out now-a-days.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
New Nightmare is the only good one. I'm sure the early ones were scary at the time they released, but they didn't hold up one bit.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's dated, but it has so many great scenes. The sequels really established the franchise and the character of Freddy more into the killer practical joker. The series also became more fun for everyone rather than outright horror, this is why Freddy became a cultural phenomenon. They had fun with the films real quick, which also influenced many other 80's films at the time who were being dead serious, then realized folks want to have some fun. Freddy was making huge money for horror franchises at the time blowing away everyone else because it was reaching a wider audience.

And throughout almost all of them, even the shitty ones, you have some of the most creative practical special effects work ever that still impresses today.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Always liked part 3 the best of the sequels, but upon rewatching, it's nice having Nancy back but it started the formula of dream fantasy/Freddy one liner followed by a kill. Freddy probably at his most evil in 2.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Parts 3 & 4 were shot at the same time and it shows. They are virtually identical in tone. They are tied for my second favorite in the series with part one, of course, being the clear stand out. I think Nightmare on Elm Street holds up better in a marathon than either Friday the 13th or Halloween.

Also, the TV series wasn't too terrible. Holy shit at the low budget though. I liked the fact that Freddy would show up every now and again in an actual episode instead of just hosting.
I never knew 3 and 4 were shot concurrently, but I definitely believe it. They have a very similar look and tone, and obviously feels like a very direct sequel with the recurring characters. 4 doesn't get the same amount of praise as 1 and 3, but I think it's much better than the rest of them.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The music in 3 is *chef's kiss*. Still sticks with me to this day.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I never knew 3 and 4 were shot concurrently, but I definitely believe it. They have a very similar look and tone, and obviously feels like a very direct sequel with the recurring characters. 4 doesn't get the same amount of praise as 1 and 3, but I think it's much better than the rest of them.

I remember a behind the scenes with Robert where he was talking about it. He would kill a teenager on one set then walk over to the other and have a few lines of dialogue, then walk back to the other set for a reshoot and such. Eventually, he was getting the two movies confused because he didn't know if he was shooting scenes for 3 or 4. It's crazy that they were shooting both movies, literally, at the exact same time.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've been re-watching a ton of old horror movies from my childhood.

I'm doing Nightmare next, I just finished all the Friday the 13th movies.

One thing I've realized is that they aren't scary at all, lol. They're even funny now. Being an adult really ruins these movies....but at least the nostalgia is there.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
If they shot concurrently, why did they recast the role of Kristen for 4?

I remember a behind the scenes with Robert where he was talking about it. He would kill a teenager on one set then walk over to the other and have a few lines of dialogue, then walk back to the other set for a reshoot and such. Eventually, he was getting the two movies confused because he didn't know if he was shooting scenes for 3 or 4. It's crazy that they were shooting both movies, literally, at the exact same time.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017