• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

gi9ET4J.gif

Holy. Hell. If you haven't seen this show then bail out now and start it, otherwise you'll have some truly amazing shit spoiled for you.

**SPOILERS BELOW THIS POINT**

VwwzEjal.jpg

DO NOT TRUST THIS FUCKER DOING THE GENDO POSE.
This show is just fucking incredible! I just finished it last night and I want to spill my thoughts like so much demon guts. Where to start? For the most part the pacing is absolutely fantastic. This is right up there with FLCL for me in terms of not a single scene being wasted, the story beats hitting fast and hard enough to propel interest and keep you hooked, and there being a healthy budget squeezed into a limited episode series. I will say that I'm not at all familiar with the original manga and anime beyond reading small summaries on wikipedia, but in terms of this adaptation standing on its own merit I can only imagine it's maybe the most interesting take on the source material. From the very first episode you're made uneasy watching this, like there is some malevolent force perpetually lurking in every shadow. The vessels that previously held purpose and meaning for humanity are drained bit by bit by the vacuous and hopeless aspects of Crybaby's nihilistic and cruel nature. The essence of Earthly order unfolds and collapses in an exponential fashion until you're left breathless by the end.

MRAHGrLl.jpg

Are humans worth crying for?

The soul of this anime is an exposé on the dark nature of mankind, but with strong notes of hope and optimism. Inside every soul is a demon waiting to burst forth, and it's up to our own nuanced character whether or not we can control it. Crybaby takes a rather elevated look at modern society's dire problems of bigotry towards cultural and lifestyle differences, mob mentality and the bullying of the marginalized and outcast, and toxic attitudes in regards to celebrity culture and social media outrage. It begins with honest and genuine perspectives on 21st century youth, family, and lifestyle, portraying the hopelessly nihilistic nightclub participants losing themselves in drugs and hormonal splurging, the school and home life of empathetic and thoughtful students, and the good-hearted but law-skirting teens living in the periphery between cultures. What follows is a creeping decline of the control that humanity exerts upon itself to keep our animal natures in check and our civilization from collapsing. These themes were extremely relevant in 2018 when this premiered but it hits even closer to home experiencing it right now.

f4BCJgLl.png

So this was pretty brutal...
This by far one of the darker animes I've ever watched, hidden under a somewhat innocent veneer by its rather jaunty animation and playful art style. The violence and gore are casually untethered and the nudity and sexual content are raunchy as fuck! We're exposed to public, drug-fueled orgies, violent demon sex, and some rather uncouth shots of demonic... "endowments." But that doesn't even scratch the surface of the brutal happenings within these ten packed episodes. Crybaby is both relentless and unapologetic in how easily it kills off characters. Nobody is sacred because nobody is spared! The entire cast is wholesale slaughtered by the end of the show. By fellow humans, by devilmen, by demons, and then eventually by God himself. The final scene feels like a real homage to End of Evangelion, but completely appropriate and earned in its own right. A canopy of countless stars spread out over a calming red sea; a single soul remains in a cold and chaotic universe, awash with revelation and immense regret. You just feel damn hopeless and exhausted when the final credits roll. But that's not a bad thing at all, you gotta respect a story that's not afraid to end in abject and utter tragedy.

And can I just mention the stellar soundtrack?! There are some great and memorable tunes on here, splitting the difference between daunting choirs, epic orchestra, and some absolutely banging synthwave tracks. The opening is fucking awesome too, it's totally hypnotic. The entire soundtrack adds a lot to the foreboding and often terrifying feeling the show emits, it's really quite effective.

vvk9Bf5l.jpg

Monument to a future war.

My only complaint is that the final episode is waaay too short on time. It begs to be a two parter. The pacing of the show(until this point) is fantastic, but there is far too much going on here in episode ten to be shoved into a mere half hour. Between the origins of animals and demons, Satan's backstory, human extinction, and the final end of days battles between humans and demons, and Akira and Satan, it leaves you almost starving for each of these scenes to be padded out at least 5 minutes extra per section.

mVaiMfyl.jpg

Somebody get this kid a nutritionist.
My adrenaline is still coming down, but honestly, this could very well be my favorite anime of the last decade. I genuinely think it breaches the wall between mass media and art. It innovates with the platform its given, pushes the boundaries of its source material, and defies expectations to reveal and celebrate a core of nihilistic optimism. The fact that this subversive, sentimental, and unique anime exists is a testament to the increasing flex and diversity that streaming platforms and their funding of anime are injecting into the industry and medium.

I guess having not much exposure to the franchise over the years before this series, I am pretty curious about how long time fans of Devilman enjoyed this adaptation. Like, how loyal is it really? If anyone is knowledgeable on Crybaby's place and stature in the overall legacy of the franchise I'd love to know more.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's fantastic. Yuasa and Choi yet again delivering a masterful adaptation. Glad you enjoyed it! It's pretty much the best Devilman work, and it elevated the source material. I highly suggest looking at the rest of Yuasa and Choi's works if you are looking for things of similar quality.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it was great. Protagonist getting the superpowers to uncover the evil and save the day is nothing new, but this anime just managed to take it for the unique spin without holding back. It didn't fall back on cliches, plot armors and happy accidents, it told its own story with twists and consequences.

The way it builds up and escalates is how every anime, where the eventual fight is "Kill the God", should be made. I have seen so many plots where shit just falls out of anuses, and even half-way the powers/villain/showdowns are not earned a single bit, just going through the motions of the same characters and plot beats...

Plus it was stylish in both visuals and audio.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devilman is from the 70s and crybaby is almost a straight adaptation, including the ending. If anything Eva borrows a bit but so do a lot of series.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's fantastic. Yuasa and Choi yet again delivering a masterful adaptation. Glad you enjoyed it! It's pretty much the best Devilman work, and it elevated the source material. I highly suggest looking at the rest of Yuasa and Choi's works if you are looking for things of similar quality.
Ty for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into their stuff now.
Plus it was stylish in both visuals and audio.
Yeah, the style really clicked with me for sure.

Bunty Hoven

Oct 30, 2017
I went into Episode 1 of this blind. It was the first bit of anime I watched in the presence of my gf. I lost some respect that day that I'll never get back.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I like the manga more but was pleased with what Yuasa did. He gave more context and symbolism to things that were left ambigious in the manga which I liked a lot. And the music was just great.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brother please. Nagai influenced almost everyone, not the other way around.

Read the manga. It's better.

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
This song gives me chills. The show as a whole is phenomenal, but the music really elevates it

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I binged watched all the episodes one night when it first dropped and it fucked me up, haha. I recently rewatched it with my girlfriend so she could experience it. Still holds up

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
The best anime I will never watch again. I thought I was ready since everyone kept talking about how sad and fucked up the ending was. You can really see the Eva parallels because the last 4 episodes are like watching End of Eva in slowmo. Right when mob starts coming for Saki and the others my stomach started to turn. Like damn humanity really sucks lol

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to rewatch it but then I remember all the misery and sadness... It was a really good adaptation of the original.

Every other adaptation of the manga was meh (there was that OVA which sadly never got completed). I liked the Devil Lady anime that is basically Devilman but Akira is a woman. It was more slow paced and more bleak from start to finish compared to Crybaby. The manga of Devil Lady sucked though.

If they ever make a sequel to Crybaby I hope it is about Violence Jack. That series has a lot of problems but lots of potential. If they remove the tasteless shit and modernize it it would be a really cool series as it continues on from the ending of Devilman into a post apocalypse Mad Max like setting.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favorite thing from netflix, ever.

I did drink daily for about a week and a half after I watched it.

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yep, fantastic series. Those last two episodes involving a certain death and also the tragic conflict between Akira and Ryo kinda broke me for a bit. And this show's depiction of the fall of humanity was honestly pretty harrowing. I'll probably never watch it again cause it's just too painful.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuasa is such a great director. I'm usually not a huge fan of edgy-as-fuck anime but Yuasa still manages to make it work. Definitely one of my top anime.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
I remember binging this and finishing the last episode at like 10:30 in the evening in bed and just being wrecked. I was so upset. My wife woke up and asked me if I was ok and I couldn't even answer. Amazing show.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, fantastic series. Those last two episodes involving a certain death and also the tragic conflict between Akira and Ryo kinda broke me for a bit. And this show's depiction of the fall of humanity was honestly pretty harrowing. I'll probably never watch it again cause it's just too painful.
At the very end there were almost notes of Animatrix' "Second Renaissance" in there. Also the way the final human soldiers created special weapons for fighting the demons reminded me of Attack on Titan lol

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I went in blind and as my first entry to the series, my mind was blown.

NO PUNCHES HELD

and FUCK that tent scene. The imagery of it is so strong it still pops up in my head from time to time. and Its been like a year or two since I watched it. lol

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
and FUCK that tent scene. The imagery of it is so strong it still pops up in my head from time to time. and Its been like a year or two since I watched it. lol
I was stunned at how realistically they portrayed the dad's emotional breakdown. They gave that scene so much time to sink in, the pain just went on and on.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely recommend reading the original manga, it's not very long and it's interesting to see the ways this adaptation was adapted to be more modern without losing any of the soul.

Go Nagai is an absolute treasure.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely recommend reading the original manga, it's not very long and it's interesting to see the ways this adaptation was adapted to be more modern without losing any of the soul.

Go Nagai is an absolute treasure.
Given the recommendations in this thread and how closely you're all saying Crybaby was adapted I am extremely interested in obtaining the manga now.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Given the recommendations in this thread and how closely you're all saying Crybaby was adapted I am extremely interested in obtaining the manga now.
The big changes is obviously the anime being focused around modern day, while the manga naturally reflects the time period that it came out in. Some character arcs are changed too. The fun thing is going back to Crybaby after and you can see all the references to plot beats that they didn't have runtime for.

For example, this is what the rappers from Crybaby look like in the manga.

latest

Last edited:

Lamiafusion

Nov 24, 2017
Devilman is one of the few "so good and horrific I think I can only watch it once"...I give another one to Grave of the Fireflies

Nov 9, 2017
I was pretty disappointed in the demon designs tbh. Nobody looked as beautiful or as cool as they did in the manga or OVAs.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I remember Devilman Crybaby. And hell yes it is quite memorable. I still bump the theme song on Spotify from time to time.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny this thread comes up just a few days after a friend came to me all fucked up after watching Devilman without knowing anything beforehand except it was an anime. They loved it despite it being an incredibly disturbing and jarring experience. Makes them bumping Devilman No Uta in their car all the funnier.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the bump. I think the OP's writup does justice to the quality of this series. But more to the point, last night, episodes 9 and 10 cored me out and shredded my heart with all the tenderness of a pack of hyenas. Holy shit.

Humanity is easily pushed to descend into savagery (sickening in its plausibility), countless acts of appalling cruelty take place as every character is brutally put down, the human race is extinguished, the planet is razed to ruin, and a lifeless Akira shares a morbid final moment with ultimate jerk Ryo/Satan, just before God in their infinite mercy blasts post-genocide Earth into a primordial blob of matter so the cycle can begin anew.

Fucking hell, dude. The gutpunches just kept on coming. Maybe not the best thing to watch if you're already depressed and jaded. This story is going to stick with me for a while.

I echo many posters' sentiments in that Devilman Crybaby was great, but I probably never want to watch it again.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump. I think the OP's writup does justice to the quality of this series. But more to the point, last night, episodes 9 and 10 cored me out and shredded my heart with all the tenderness of a pack of hyenas. Holy shit.

Humanity is easily pushed to descend into savagery (sickening in its plausibility), countless acts of appalling cruelty take place as every character is brutally put down, the human race is extinguished, the planet is razed to ruin, and a lifeless Akira shares a morbid final moment with ultimate jerk Ryo/Satan, just before God in their infinite mercy blasts post-genocide Earth into a primordial blob of matter so the cycle can begin anew.

Fucking hell, dude. The gutpunches just kept on coming. Maybe not the best thing to watch if you're already depressed and jaded. This story is going to stick with me for a while.

I echo many posters' sentiments in that Devilman Crybaby was great, but I probably never want to watch it again.

9B19KTVGBrEkkuLDvje9c1vP8856IlIGJWSwzvghMOg.gif