• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I know I'm about a decade behind, but decided to give it a shot.

Playing on Series X with fps boost, it is looking good. Some minor stutter from time to time, but nothing that had effected play.

The art style is simple and purposeful. And at times looks high end like current gen. And, the soundtrack so far has been super chill.

I believe I'm 2-3 chapters in and heard it's pretty short. Combat is whatever, you're a runner. So far I'm just trying to disarm everyone.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very unique series, doesn't really age that much because of it

Can't exactly get that type of product anywhere else afaik, it's a good concept, a bit mismanaged

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an awesome game. The sequel is bloated with unnecessary additions but still worth checking out.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Playing through it for the first time as well. Absolutely gorgeous and the fps boost truly makes the game shine again.

(early-game clip, roughly an hour in)

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
One of the best games of the 360 generation. Catalyst was a bit disappointing. Give me a remake of the original with Raytracing PLEASE

Dec 23, 2017
The original Mirror's Edge is such a master piece, I kinda wanna go back and play it again for the 109860346th time.

www.resetera.com

The beautiful world of Mirror's Edge #2 (Image Heavy)

For those that missed my first thread, you can find it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-beautiful-world-of-mirrors-edge-warning-image-heavy.70660/ With the year 2020 fast approaching, I've decided to start yet another playthrough of one of my favorite games, Mirror's Edge. This is...

Naed1993

Dec 25, 2017
It sucks that they never went back to this IP, there so much potential there.

I really need to go back and try catalyst.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
I fell in love with ME when i started doing the time trials. Getting 3 stars in all levels was one of the most fun experiences i have ever had playing a 3D platformer. Unlike in the story mode in the TT levels you really need to learn to keep your momentum.

The game had one of the best art directions i have ever seen in a video game and i absolutely the OST too.

My 2008 GOTY.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I will post about my love for ME in every single ME thread.

One of the most beautiful and meditative games I've ever played. This game, despite its flaws, inspires me and sits in my personal top 10.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
Both games are amazing. The sequel gets a bad rap because of the story and some gameplay design.

Yeah, I acknowledge that the story feels butchered, incomplete and overall kinda lackluster. I didn't mind much the open world or side activities, because they were entertaining enough and the city was very immersive and well done. I'm also on the minority here, but I preferred the combat system of the sequel.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
I'm not the type of person who likes ranking things, but if I had to choose the game with the all-time best art direction I might be this one... Just breathtaking.

Sequel was also underrated. Definitely flawed, but so is the first.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I just got past that part, met Jackknife and Miller.

Disappointed to hear the sequel botched it.

Catalyst is a game of two halves -- a thoroughly unremarkable and barren open world that's more a nuisance than anything, and a series of focused levels with set pieces more akin to the original. It's worth playing for the latter but yeah it was in that era of all games starting to shoehorn in open worlds even when they didn't make the most sense. To some degree I can't blame them, open world parkour city sounds like a match made in heaven, it's just the execution is pretty mid and at odds with the other half of the game.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Catalyst is fantastic. I find it hard to go back to the original because Catalyst does almost everything better. And I love the original.
I think you can agree that you're probably not in the general consensus with that opinion though right. Like I love contentious games, too, but I know when I'm going against the grain lol.

Enjoy OP! And yeah absolutely look into the sequel, it's often cheap as hell or maybe part of a subscription service. You might still dig it after all.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Great visuals accompanied with an amazing score. Entering the puzzle section of the Kate chapter - with that music kicking - will forever be burned into my memory.

The original is a bit harder to get back into after having experienced Catalyst; they really improved the smoothness of Faith's movement in the second game and the original feels rather stiff and wooden in comparison. But for 2007(?) it was unlike anything else. DICE had made something real special, that's for sure.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nothing gives me deep melancholy quite like the piano from Still Alive. Never been able to put my finger on why but it really hits me with a pensive sadness.

youtu.be

Mirror's Edge Theme Song HQ

The theme song from the PlayStation 3 / Xbox 360 and PC game Mirror's Edge which is published by EA! I downloaded the song from the US PlayStation Store and ...

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
One of the best games from that gen, I remember being obsessed with it. I had so much fun it the speed run mode and time trials. I think one of the first things I'll do whenever I get a Series X is play it with FPS boost.

Also, did not care for the sequel, just did not like how it went open-world, did not work for me. Shame this series is probably now dead forever.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Some of the strings needed for achievements are pretty nuts. Some just happened organically also and then nothing like having a hard fall on the last jump of a and blowing it.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is ridiculously good looking on Series X

Some shots from my recent playthrough:

51022475478_2aef9ab694_k.jpg

50964298742_1e9499b8c9_k.jpg

50963486908_60005f591e_k.jpg

51023304707_af1937e334_k.jpg

This is a 14 year old Xbox 360 game

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
This being in Game Pass with FPS Boost AND Resolution boost makes me really happy.
Recently replayed it , didn't use any weapons at all ( except for that one time )
It's a wonderful game. Sometimes the bright colours and clear surroundings get intense, almost touches you on another level.

Game supports HDR, too ( not auto HDR ). Isn't it one of the first games with real HDR from that gen ?

alpha54

Oct 19, 2021
Funnily enough, Series X is by far the most stunning way to play this game, with the combination of FPS boost and 4K resolution. It's an infamously terrible performer on PC. Such a pleasure to replay looking so flawless.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Enjoy! I'm a huge fan of this game and I love what it did with its first person parkour. The best before Titanfall and Dying Light 2 improved on it - albeit Mirror's Edge still has the more grounded approach of the bunch.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Mirror's Edge is one of the best examples I have for why art style > graphical fidelity. It's almost 14 years old and I would still believe it if someone told me it came out recently.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Mirror's Edge is one of the best examples I have for why art style > graphical fidelity. It's almost 14 years old and I would still believe it if someone told me it came out recently.
Because the graphical fidelity is there. It wouldn't look that good if it wasn't for the realistic lighting model. Its all prebaked that's why they were able to achieve it back then.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I fell in love with ME when i started doing the time trials. Getting 3 stars in all levels was one of the most fun experiences i have ever had playing a 3D platformer. Unlike in the story mode in the TT levels you really need to learn to keep your momentum.
Came here to say this. The time trial is where the game really reveals its brilliance. You can put together what you think is a great run only to find it's not even good enough for two stars so even figuring out how to approach the stage is a puzzle itself. When you do have a plan you then have to execute it perfectly but when you do and get those three stars, boy is it a rush. Some of the intricate rapid sequences you need to pull off are crazy.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I need to replay this on the Series X. I love the hell out of the original, it is a sublime game. I still need to get all the achievements and even play the DLC, which I bought so long ago. Catalyst was solid, too, but didn't capture the same magic as the first.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Such an amazing game.

My sister was about 8 at the time and took an interest in it because you okay as a girl and it looked pretty. She'd never played a single video game before, So the good brother that I am, I sat there and watched for hours as she walked off of building. I don't think I've ever been so excited as when she did her first wall bounce and clambered up the ledge. Took her forever to get the button combo right, but she got it in the end.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing the game this week on Series X. The FPS boost does wonders for this game.

Does anyone know If the DLC is still available? Or was that only on PC?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Games art style absolutely shines at 4k60 on PC. One of my gen 7 GOTGs - bought it at launch and have played it many times since. Plays wonderfully on steam deck too fyi. Glad you're enjoying it, OP.

I wish the PS3 DLC was more widely available - amazing first person pure platforming.

Oct 29, 2017
Unparalled atmosphere, this game really sells the feeling that you're existing in this cohesive world. Such a unique and creative game, everyone should experience it.