• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you decided to make this thread OP. The game is by no means perfect. It landed on the right era of success of Marvel movies and Ps4 doing incredibly well to sell the copies the game sold. Plus, the game is good.
But it doesnt come without flaws. The combat gets repetitive, like you mentioned you start seeing the same animations over and over. The enemies Ai is dumb as hell, even on the hardest difficulty the game is easy because of dumb enemy patterns and there's no enemy variety at all, not even compared to Batman Arkham games.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I still don't really agree with the idea that the game is bloated in comparison to other open world games. The collectible with the highest number was the backpacks, with like 50-60 iirc?

Arkham games have like 400+ (!!!!!!!) Riddler Trophies to hunt down, with Knight even locking a boss fight behind them. That is the definition of bloat to me, not Spider-Man which may be one of the leanest open world games in terms of number of collectibles.

I can understand the issues with crimes being a bit repetitive, but I also think its a bit unrealistic to expect them to focus and build that out any further over other aspects of the game.

I also don't really agree with the assessment of the combat, as I think it did one of the best jobs capturing the feeling of the target super-hero when compared to similar games. That Wolverine Origins game might come close!

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
You nailed it, OP. I felt the exact same about it. It's a good game, no question, but yes the side quests really bogged down my excitement of the game and felt mundane after a while, just so I can get that new power to move forward in the main story. And every time I played as MJ or Miles, I couldn't wait to get back to web swinging with Peter.

And about Batman, I always preferred Batman's combat to this. Batman felt very fluid and fresh, this feels very mechanical and repetitive. Same moveset, over and over. Enemies approach the same way in packs, so it's string this guy, fling a garbage can, pull this guy toward you, punch punch evade. Repeat.

All your positives and negatives are spot on. Great post.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I have my own issues with the game, but I have to disagree with a lot of yours.

I've never played a game that felt like it wasn't repetitive to a degree. I think it's more to do with personal enjoyment of said missions. There's a lot of repetitive stuff in many games that I love doing, but some games it feels like a chore to me. I mean, if you think about it FIFA is just kicking a ball back and forth every game, driving games are repeatedly going round tracks, fps you rinse and repeat killing others on the same maps. Why open world games have to offer something new for every mission otherwise they're too repetitive is beyond me.

The world does feel like it's lived in. To say it's barren of life, dull, is just plain wrong.

Combat is one of the strongest parts of the game. It feels great and is a good example of a game giving the player a combat system that's easy to pick up but takes some mastering to perfect.

The non Spiderman missions are indeed the worst part of this game though, I agree they are awful. For me, the game felt like it released ever so slightly too early. Some of it looks a bit...PS3, and I found some glitches and bugs, but overall it deserved the praise and success it's had.

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
Is not perfect, but is far from the bad scenery you are painting. I'm glad it's selling super good, for sure we will have a sequel and they can fix the things that were not so good as repetitive side missions.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
It definitely suffers from open world bloat and repetitiveness but I ended up really liking it for what it is. Strong combat, interesting story and sublime visuals. It's a really solid foundation for a more ambitious sequel.