• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Hard to believe it's been 2 years since this game launched but I knew I was going to play it, the only issue was personal income (being a recent college graduate at the time). Now 2 years later with a job that pays livable wage and a thankful foresight of saving up beforehand from minimum wage jobs, it was time for me to treat myself to a self-Christmas present and damn, I'm so impressed by this game.

I've only played TV/Monitor mode so far, but this game is fucking beautiful. I've also played TES series (Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim) and I can't believe I can comfortably say that BotW completely blows it out of the water in terms of just how much damn fun I'm having; it's so impressive how this game rewards exploration consistently I haven't seen before. Climbing a mountain? Probably some shrine or a mini-boss worth your while, if not, then the very least an impressive damn view. It also helps that the combat, while simple, is way more complex that Bethesda's latest entry of Skyrim being "Press button to swing sword" or "OP stealth archer". And lack of loading screens? The immersion here is top-tier.

For the record, at the creation of this post/thread I am only 20-30 hours in and I believed I haven't progressed much in the main story, only encountered the two first towns you naturally hit along the way with me now venturing to what I believe to be the third... or the very least up some more mountains which will no doubt have me exploring top to bottom.

And my favorite moment of game so far? Discovering that I can reflect Gaurdian's lazar beams with a timed parry of my shield... any shield.

Hats off to you Nintendo, I'm in my mid-twenties and you made me feel like a kid again.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Yup, it's a real gem of a game. Definitely deserved GOTY for that year that's for sure. I hope Nintendo can pull off more games like this on the switch.

It's the best game of this generation.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I've been working on the game since July, I'm between 75-80 hours played at this point, and I still have a ways to go with the story. I keep getting pulled away to play other stuff but each time that I return I fall a little bit more in love, and continue to be surprised by stuff. It really is something special.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I came back to it a couple of weeks ago, just searching for undiscovered shrine quests. It's not quite perfect, but this is the kind of 3D Zelda game I always wanted from Nintendo but never thought I'd get.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the best games ever made. I feel kind of bad for the people who don't "get it".

I love the survival aspect of it and the weapon durability is the least of this game's problems to me. As a weirdo who loves Zelda games for their stories, and with the promise of voice acting and some amazing trailers, I feel like I'm in that "don't get it" crowd. This game just isn't Zelda to me, and I am hopeful for a Majora's Mask kinda deal where they build ontop of what they have. It's a half-step in the right direction to modernizing Zelda, and I hope they truly stick the landing next time.

OP
OP
DeusOcha

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Same here, it's always such a bummer to see people get hung up on rudimentary things such as the durability system.

The durability system isn't actually that bothersome for me and I'm having way too much fun cooking whatever I find haha. But as for the durability system, the game keeps handing you weapons it isn't much issue; and I'm much more comfortable taking down enemies from afar with a bow before diving in with melee.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm honestly kinda worn down on playing this after 15 hours. This is the only Zelda that I have yet to finish and honestly don't feel like completing it. Feels like a chore exploring the shrines and going from one place to another and yes I have horses and the glider. Other zelda games I literally get lost and submersed in them and can't wait to keep exploring, but Breath of the Wild has yet to keep me entertained. Maybe if ERA convinces me on why I should keep going I might give this a second chance.

Oct 31, 2017
I love the survival aspect of it and the weapon durability is the least of this game's problems to me. As a weirdo who loves Zelda games for their stories, and with the promise of voice acting and some amazing trailers, I feel like I'm in that "don't get it" crowd. This game just isn't Zelda to me, and I am hopeful for a Majora's Mask kinda deal where they build ontop of what they have. It's a half-step in the right direction to modernizing Zelda, and I hope they truly stick the landing next time.

See, I've not really been much of a Zelda fan and its game design tropes for awhile, so BotW was exactly what I thought the series needed. It was bold, it was exciting, it was adventurous. Historically, I've thought Mario Nintendo's superior game series, mainly because the fat is usually trimmed and the fun/joy of play is immediate and front & center, especially compared to Zelda.

This game was basically the original Zelda, made modern, and I thought that's what they should have done for a long time. The series had been stuck in virtually the same basic game design since 1991. And not only is it a modern execution of a 'go anywhere' style design akin to the original game, it has probably one of the best designed/realized open worlds in any game ever. The conjunction of visual landscape signposting with the ability to climb any surface, and how all of the games' systems inherently feed back into traversing the world makes it so amazingly incredible.

People like to complain about no dungeons, but Hyrule is the dungeon. The game is also best played with as little outside influence/suggestion as possible.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
You know how we're all just random posters on a message board who can't help making hopeless, self-important wishlists for game series we're passionate about, even though we invariably never get exactly what we want?

Links Awakening is my favourite Zelda game. While I've enjoyed all the games since, I thought the 3D series formula had become stale in recent years. I was one of those people who made it annoyingly clear that I wanted Zelda to go back to its NES roots, prizing open exploration over guided narrative; a focus on action and survival; cryptic riddles in the overworld instead of rigid box pushing puzzles. I wanted this hypothetical game to look like a Studio Ghibli movie. I wanted the series to lean away from cutscene-heavy Japanese high school drama in its storytelling. Imagine my disbelief when Nintendo revealed Zelda Wii U.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, I've not really been much of a Zelda fan and its game design tropes for awhile, so BotW was exactly what I thought the series needed. It was bold, it was exciting, it was adventurous. Historically, I've thought Mario Nintendo's superior game series, mainly because the fat is usually trimmed and the fun/joy of play is immediate and front & center, especially compared to Zelda.

This game was basically the original Zelda, made modern, and I thought that's what they should have done for a long time. The series had been stuck in virtually the same basic game design since 1991. And not only is it a modern execution of a 'go anywhere' style design akin to the original game, it has probably one of the best designed/realized open worlds in any game ever. The conjunction of visual landscape signposting with the ability to climb any surface, and how all of the games' systems inherently feed back into traversing the world makes it so amazingly incredible.

People like to complain about no dungeons, but Hyrule is the dungeon. The game is also best played with as little outside influence/suggestion as possible.

I think the fact that it's directly compared to Zelda 1 so often is kinda apt. I enjoy Zelda 2 more than 1. I enjoy Majora's more than Ocarina. I do love Twilight Princess and Wind Waker as well. I think BotW needed better rewards for a lot of the exploration and citizen interactions. Doing a long ass and interesting questline in MM to be rewarded with a mask, that was (usually) useful or had some connection to getting another mask was really fun. The world felt so vibrant and alive, and still does, even with how vast modern day games have become.

I felt like the people of Hyrule in BotW weren't really people. Don't get me wrong, there are a few great standouts, but the interactions with them were just so minimal, or weren't used to the most of their potential. Like, I had many instances of "Oh... that's it for them..?" and I'm not even talking about the Champions, who were the peak of this issue, but that's a topic that's been done to death.

Breath of the Wild felt very much like they were dipping their toes in a "do you guys like this..?" kinda way, and yeah people REAAAALLLY like this direction. I just want them to commit to it harder, is all.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it is such a great game. I put in 80 hours and beat the game. I recently re-bought the game and am enjoying it all over again.

OP
OP
DeusOcha

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Just wondering, is there a way to view how many hours you've been playing a game on the switch? So far I've just been spitballing my time played, but I would love to know if I can somehow track exactly.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just wondering, is there a way to view how many hours you've been playing a game on the switch? So far I've just been spitballing my time played, but I would love to know if I can somehow track exactly.
10 days from when you first start playing, your Switch profile will show hours played in 5 hour increments.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I've been working on the game since July, I'm between 75-80 hours played at this point, and I still have a ways to go with the story. I keep getting pulled away to play other stuff but each time that I return I fall a little bit more in love, and continue to be surprised by stuff. It really is something special.
Going back to zelda from other games did the same thing to me. Feeling that warm feeling everytime reminding u that it is very different(in a special way) from the typical videogame

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed 100%, it's such am amazing game. Just take your time with it and enjoy. I've probably played it close to 200 hours at this point, still finding new stuff.
Best game of all time for me.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best games ever made. I feel kind of bad for the people who don't "get it".

I think I'm one of the people that don't get it. I'm going to keep trying but the stuff I've encountered so far like easily breakable weapons, stamina when climbing or swimming, or taking damage just by being in a cold area are all things I fucking loathe in games.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's the GOAT for me. I've been wanting to replay it for the last few months, and threads like these aren't helping.

Too many other games to play without ending up getting sucked into another 100+ hour run of this, though.

OP
OP
DeusOcha

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I also have to say the Blood Moon mechanic is a nice touch to add to longevity and a callback to Castlevania 2: Simon's quest... except done better haha.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's a game I really admire - and I admire Nintendo for having the courage to do something so radical with one of their banner IPs - but I don't know how much I love it. The sense of scale is something quite on it's own - climbing a huge mountain range really feels like an ordeal in a way I don't think any other game captures - but somehow the world feels inconsequential and empty and I know that's not how everyone else finds it, so I don't know. I've still had a decent time with it, but it certainly doesn't have a special place in my heart like some other games this generation.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Turn on Pro HUD, do yourself this favor.

Thank me later.

Best game ever.

I'm playing for the first time, and I'm not that far in (I'm currently looking for the places in the pictures), and I don't really like Pro HUD. I just found myself getting frustratedly lost: even if I have a map, if something catches my eye of the beaten path, you can bet I'll go and check it out, same with any open world game I play.

Jan 10, 2018
I'm playing it for the first time now as well. I really like it so far and like you say the exploration and sense of discovery is its absolute stength. The controls are also really nice.

There are some issues I have with the game though and they seem to follow the sentiment of most critics. I don't think the story is particularly engaging, there is a lack of dungeons (shrines do not replace these) and I also don't think that the durability system works very well (at least not on master mode). And then I kinda wish that the inventory for food and potions worked like in Horizon: Zero Dawn, to make it more simple and free up space. That's the only game that I know of that has solved the issue of having too many similar healing items on you for no good reasons. And Zelda should be about limited amount of healing items if you ask me otherwise it's too easy to brute force everything. As for the durability system it could've really been a great solution to enable repairs through crafting. This would make items so much more valuable to pick up and you would at least have the option to save a weapon for a longer period.

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got a Switch, and only played a bit of this...but excited...Funnily enough I find the game looks better in handheld mode. IQ is worse in docked. Kind of the opposite of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which looks quite a lot nicer in docked mode.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's a great game with an incredible world to explore. Just don't expect too much from the dungeons once you get to them (they're almost all subpar).

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hats off to you Nintendo, I'm in my mid-twenties and you made me feel like a kid again.

This is exactly what happened to me as well when I played it for the first time and one of the reasons why it's my favorite game of all time.
Enjoy your stay in Hyrule, OP. You're gonna spend many more hours in that beautiful world.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Weapon durability becomes less limiting as the game goes on. Better weapons have more durability and you learn where to find them. Then there's the Master Sword.

As for the world, it's so incredibly satisfying to explore. From interesting geometry to traverse to aesthetics to story, it's packed. The Iwata reference is a prime example. The references to other Zelda games are another. And the lover's pond. And on and on. "What's that over there?" is what I kept thinking the entire time. And there was always something to make it worth walking over there and looking.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I'm playing for the first time, and I'm not that far in (I'm currently looking for the places in the pictures), and I don't really like Pro HUD. I just found myself getting frustratedly lost: even if I have a map, if something catches my eye of the beaten path, you can bet I'll go and check it out, same with any open world game I play.

Great, then. My first time was with all the HUD too. This second playthrough I am doing Pro HUD, and i'm amazed by the amount of dispensable info they have placed on the screen.
It's a very good designed terrain. This game deserves all the praise.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I bought the game at launch for the Wii U and I am still playing it with over 150 hours done and around 35 shrines still to find. My problem with the game is that it made other similar games hard to play. Other games now feel like a step down.

This is the only Zelda game that I have played where there is so much to do even after completion. Nintendo are artistic masters and genius game designers.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completed my 3rd complete playthrough in december (all shrines, all DLC content done). Looking forward to the 4th. I'm thinking of doing it on cemu though, the wii U has a couple rough performance issues in some areas.

Nov 4, 2017
It's a game I really admire - and I admire Nintendo for having the courage to do something so radical with one of their banner IPs - but I don't know how much I love it. The sense of scale is something quite on it's own - climbing a huge mountain range really feels like an ordeal in a way I don't think any other game captures - but somehow the world feels inconsequential and empty and I know that's not how everyone else finds it, so I don't know. I've still had a decent time with it, but it certainly doesn't have a special place in my heart like some other games this generation.
I think I get where you're coming from. To me the world felt like this big junglegym in which I could use all of Link's skills, but it didn't feel like a living, organic world. There's a lot of fun to be had and sights to behold, but the world felt artificial and contrived at times. I loved the art style, music and characters though.

I had a lot of fun with it, it's a great game, but it didn't unseat Bloodborne as my GotG.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What a fantastic game. Game of the gen by far and one of the best games EVER.

I really hope that rumor about a Zelda title this year is true.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
There were some little things that could be done better and ended up being annoying. All in all though,the world was some of the best handcrafted in the industry

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
Enjoy your ride and no matter what: do NOT google stuff, watch walkthroughs or read up any hints - discovering things on your own, even the little ones like your mentioned laser-parry, is the game´s bread and butter.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I think I get where you're coming from. To me the world felt like this big junglegym in which I could use all of Link's skills, but it didn't feel like a living, organic world. There's a lot of fun to be had and sights to behold, but the world felt artificial and contrived at times. I loved the art style, music and characters though.

I had a lot of fun with it, it's a great game, but it didn't unseat Bloodborne as my GotG.

Yeah, I think if I could point to a single bug-bear with the general world narrative, it was that every NPC seemed to talk about nothing else but the events of 100 years ago, as though it'd happened just yesterday, as though nothing worth mentioning had come to pass in all that time and - yeah - I guess that kind of pulled me out it.

You're right about the jungle gym aspect though - the sandbox moments are among the best parts of the game and the world is designed in such a way as to keep you curious. It has that sense of occlusion common to more narrowly designed games (like Dark Souls, for example) where you never know what'll be around the next corner. Most open worlds - even some of the best - struggle with this.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing? They have a solid foundation now and can iterate on it. Imagine what BotW's Majora's Mask could look like?

OP
OP
DeusOcha

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
The best thing? They have a solid foundation now and can iterate on it. Imagine what BotW's Majora's Mask could look like?

I agree. Beyond establishing itself in the open world genre the artstyle is superb and a perfect blend between the psuedo-realism of Twilight Princess and the toon light-hearted aesthetic of Windwaker and the like. I've just entered Zora's Domain and Zora design is superb let alone the beauty of the environment. I really hope Nintendo carry on with this artstyle.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Beyond establishing itself in the open world genre the artstyle is superb and a perfect blend between the psuedo-realism of Twilight Princess and the toon light-hearted aesthetic of Windwaker and the like. I've just entered Zora's Domain and Zora design is superb let alone the beauty of the environment. I really hope Nintendo carry on with this artstyle.
Agreed. I daresay that it's the perfect art style for Zelda. I wouldn't mind if we got another game in this style. And with the enhanced capabilities of the Switch, it would look even better.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

If it's any indication - I've played over 500 hours and a few days ago I only just discovered a little secret room that I hadn't encounter before in any of my previous runs.

Absolute masterclass from Nintendo. To avoid burnout, don't make it a checklist kind of game where you "need" to get to a specified place. You've done the essential first parts of the game and you'll be rewarded for going off the beaten path.

OP
OP
DeusOcha

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
If it's any indication - I've played over 500 hours and a few days ago I only just discovered a little secret room that I hadn't encounter before in any of my previous runs.

Absolute masterclass from Nintendo. To avoid burnout, don't make it a checklist kind of game where you "need" to get to a specified place. You've done the essential first parts of the game and you'll be rewarded for going off the beaten path.

Most definitely. Already being accustomed to open world games in going at my own pace and am consistently side tracked due to my drive to climb every single mountain haha.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
My GOAT for non-linear single-player games. (My GOAT for linear single-player games is still RE4.)

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking fuck someone help me with this game. I have put about 12 hours into it. I love it and hate it at the same time. Everyone says the games about adventure and exploring, well it would be nice if I could do that without dying to a guardian. I found a tower I needed to scale and had 3 guardians attacking me as I did it. I tried using my shield to deflect and it was working like a charm until i got him down to the last 1 shot, then it just quit working and my shield broke then my next 3 shields broke then I died.

Someone give me tips

AppleSautts

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Fucking fuck someone help me with this game. I have put about 12 hours into it. I love it and hate it at the same time. Everyone says the games about adventure and exploring, well it would be nice if I could do that without dying to a guardian. I found a tower I needed to scale and had 3 guardians attacking me as I did it. I tried using my shield to deflect and it was working like a charm until i got him down to the last 1 shot, then it just quit working and my shield broke then my next 3 shields broke then I died.

Someone give me tips
If you're talking about the tower just south of the castle, you just gotta climb the tower. Stay near the corners of the tower while climbing and go around them if a guardian is about to shoot to break its line of sight to reset its targeting. When you get to a platform just crouch and you should be out of sight of all of them. As long as you keep moving, you'll make it up to the top just fine.