• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I avoided watching this show for so long but now I've been watching it for the last couple months & honestly it's pretty great. I'm on season 4 & all these time jumps are pretty crazy especially the ending to season 3. I can see why it was popular back in the day. I know the ending to the show to an extent but I'm still excited to see how everything unfolds. Any fellow lost fans on era?

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for this thread.

Havent done a rewatch in some time.

The greatest series ever made.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Flawed as hell but entertaining, definitely gonna rewatch it someday.

I'm glad I binged it and didn't watch week to week because waiting a week just to get hit with one of the shittier episodes would've probably soured my opinion of it quite a bit. Binging also meant I just let the show happen instead of trying to overanalyze everything and come up with a bunch of theories that I would've inevitably been disappointed with.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorites shows of all time. Flawed, but nothing before or after had me hooked like Lost did.

Sep 28, 2018
LOST is easily my top 3 favorite tv shows. Season 5 is my favorite it's so wacky and out there, meanwhile Season 6 is embarrassing with the whole temple/Jacob stuff and the way certain characteres exit (the submarine).

I'm glad I binged it and didn't watch week to week because waiting a week just to get hit with one of the shittier episodes would've probably soured my opinion of it quite a bit. Binging also meant I just let the show happen instead of trying to overanalyze everything and come up with a bunch of theories that I would've inevitably been disappointed with.

My thoughts exactly. I feel like I woulda hate it and set myself up for disappointment if i was theorycrafting/speculating week by week, but since I binged this show years later it was a great journey overall to watch for all the characters. It was 100% a character journey story to me and the mysteries/unresolved questions were just accessory to those character journeys.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Got my original tag in the old forum defending the episode Stranger in a Strange Land.

there will never be a show that has had such widespread cultural impact. Timing was perfect, the real advante Of water cooler tv viewing merging with forums and YouTube content creation, podcasts, etc. it was glorious every week decephering "clues" with half the internet.

great show is best show.
Incredibly powerful and poignant endjng

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i love LOST and i absolutely still defend it (even some of the later stuff) to this day. sure, it fumbled the ball a bit in the fifth and sixth season but come on, it's really hard to deny it produced some of the best TV ever and such an amazing cast of characters

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Season Ranking
1=5 > 4 > 2 > 3 >>>>> 6

heres my obligatory post to say that Season 5 was underrated and was a good combination of the character drama of Season 1 and the Sci-Fi of the later seasons.

Season 6 was awful even though they completely landed the amazing ending.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Would the show have been more popular if it came out last decade instead of the decade before? I know it was the most popular show at the time but it was before social media

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Lost is and always will be one of the GOAT series.

I have a long list of issues with the final season but I will forever stand by the finale being beautiful. And of course, the majority of what came before the final season was gold.

1 = 4 > 3 (second half) > 5 > 2 > 3 (first half) > 6

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best TV show ever.

giphy.gif

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
One of my fave shows ever, from start to finish. <3

ZeoVGM Agree that the finale is beautiful. Just never ending happiness, tears, it's just swell.

Sep 28, 2018
Season Ranking
1=5 > 4 > 2 > 3 >>>>> 6

heres my obligatory post to say that Season 5 was underrated and was a good combination of the character drama of Season 1 and the Sci-Fi of the later seasons.

Season 6 was awful even though they completely landed the amazing ending.

I agree with this ranking. This whole post. Also season 5 was when I realized how great Juliet was of a character and the actress.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
watch leftovers after.
Also this. Leftovers is the most affecting television show I've ever watched and one of my favorite works of fiction ever. I remember there was a criticism of that show saying that it sacrificed logic in favor of emotional moments and that's COMPLETELY TRUE, but the show doesn't suffer for it.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I literally had tears falling out of my eyes for the entire final 15 minutes. The only other piece of entertainment that did that to me was Endgame.

I had a bizarrely late reaction to the finale when I first watched it because I was with a group of people, half of who had the, ahem, wrong opinion as to what had happened in the finale (you know the one), and were mad.

But I went and like, a month later, was listening to the music of the 6th season and this Moving On track came on, and I ended up crying for like half an hour lmao. Moving On indeed.

Now whenever I rewatch, I swap some episodes from season 6 around so that the ending is The Candidate, What They Died For, and The End, and it's basically 5 hours of constant crying. I did it a few years ago and I was dehydrated by the end lol.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I should really do a rewatch. One of my favorite shows of all time for sure. I came late to the party after season 1 (which I binged on DVD in one day) but I'm curious how the rest plays in binge format.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I had a bizarrely late reaction to the finale when I first watched it because I was with a group of people, half of who had the, ahem, wrong opinion as to what had happened in the finale (you know the one), and were mad.

But I went and like, a month later, was listening to the music of the 6th season and this Moving On track came on, and I ended up crying for like half an hour lmao. Moving On indeed.

Now whenever I rewatch, I swap some episodes from season 6 around so that the ending is The Candidate, What They Died For, and The End, and it's basically 5 hours of constant crying. I did it a few years ago and I was dehydrated by the end lol.

Series finale spoiles.

I've had numerous arguments with those who thought everyone was dead the whole time. Whenever someone complains that a series or film spells things out for the viewer too much, I point to the ending of Lost. They basically have a character look into the camera and say, "Everything on the island was real," and still people were like, "So they were dead the whole time, right?"

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
One of my favourite shows, I've rewatched it countless times. I think it falls off after season 3 and especially after 4, but it's an experience I'll never get again with a show.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Series finale spoiles.

I've had numerous arguments with those who thought everyone was dead the whole time. Whenever someone complains that a series or film spells things out for the viewer too much, I point to the ending of Lost. They basically have a character look into the camera and say, "Everything on the island was real," and still people were like, "So they were dead the whole time, right?"

Series finale spoilers as well.

Right lol. "Everything that happened to you was real."

I GUESSED THIS BACK IN SEASON ONE, THEY WERE DEAD THE WHOLE TIME.

Okay.

Though to be fair, the sentiment wasn't helped by that awkward final credits with the crashed plane over it lol.

By the way, OP, when you get to season 6, I highly recommend swapping an episode around. Moving an episode from near the end to the midway point of the season just feels like it makes way more sense, and it stops the total momentum kill of the episode being where it is originally. Moving it allows the ending to just flow better.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I feel Jack Benders direction of the show doesnt get enough praise. I know Abrams & Fong set the tone with the pilot but allot of these episodes are beautifully shot. Also I think Lindelof & Cuse did a fantastic job as co-showrunners

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Also, since I'm watching on hulu I noticed the finale is split in two parts but then there's an uncut version that looks like it combines both episodes. Should I watch that one? Also I'm aware there's an epilogue I have to watch online.

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Series finale spoilers as well.

Right lol. "Everything that happened to you was real."

I GUESSED THIS BACK IN SEASON ONE, THEY WERE DEAD THE WHOLE TIME.

Okay.

Though to be fair, the sentiment wasn't helped by that awkward final credits with the crashed plane over it lol.

By the way, OP, when you get to season 6, I highly recommend swapping an episode around. Moving an episode from near the end to the midway point of the season just feels like it makes way more sense, and it stops the total momentum kill of the episode being where it is originally. Moving it allows the ending to just flow better.
You mean watch the episodes out of order?

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Happy to see all of the love for LOST here at the moment.

It's not too surprising that The Leftovers and Watchmen are as incredible as they are when you consider Lindelof co-wrote episodes like The Constant.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love the show, pity the the final season didn't live up to public expectations but it is my favorite show of all time. Basically can stop at the end of season 5 either way.

for a few years I had the song Desmond hears when he goes to different "places" as my alarm clock: Make Your Own Kind of Music

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
LOST is my favorite show ever. I know the later season and ending were not great, but I liked most of the characters so much I didn't mind.

Jack Bender can bring out the feels like so few director can. The hold the door episode of GoT just cemented my appreciation for the guy.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
You mean watch the episodes out of order?

Yes! It's just one episode that you move from the ending string of episodes to the midway point of the season.

The last string of episodes is The Candidate > Across the Sea > What They Died For > The End.

I propose move Across the Sea between the episodes Recon and Ab Aeterno. Across the Sea fits better there (to me), and where it's originally placed near the end really grinds the momentum to a halt, especially if you're binge watching.

Jan 4, 2018
I watched all of LOST over the summer a few years back with one of my best friends who swore by it and I was surprised at how invested I became. I absolutely adore LOST. John Locke and Desmond Hume have to be two of my favorite television characters.

I might have to do a rewatch now, shit.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was obsessed with Lost when it was on the air. I followed it so closely, had the Hatch diorama, Desmond's key and a Dharma jump suit. Still one of my all time favourite shows ever despite its flaws.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of my favourite TV shows, i used to get deep into the wiki and theories back in the day.
good times.

Seasons 1, 2 and 5 are my favourites.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
It was a big part of my life during my highschool years. I basically watched seasons 1-4 three times at least; once by myself, another to get my Dad into it, and another to get my Mom into it. I would go on Lostpedia all the time, read forums after each episode aired, etc. Was a huge fan.

I managed to drink the koolaid hard enough to love season 5, but even I couldn't stomach some of the stuff in season 6. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in something after seeing "Across the Sea". Still teared up watching the series finale though.

I have no idea how it holds up and haven't watched it since it ended in 2010.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
This show went from my top-10 to "fuck this show" by the last 2 seasons, and especially the last few episodes.

You can't just handwave total storytelling failure away as "it was about the characters" when the show was clearly a plot AND character driven show and it failed on one of those. Until Game of Thrones I didn't think you could top Lost-level failure.

What a disappointment. What happens when you make it up as you go and no one has any idea where the fuck you are going.

At least Xfiles did a better job of winging it.

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. I maintain that Watchmen seems 'forgotten' already but hey if it restores some people's love in the guys old stuff than I'm satisfied.

Watching it in Australia during its run was a special kind of torture. They had it on a free to air channel at a crappy time slot and I didn't have a tv with aerial connection all the time.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Sooo good! The anticipation between episodes and the agonizing wait between seasons as great! Really missing that feeling with the shows dropping season wise now.

Feeling wise I also have to say that I have only seen a few shows with the same vibe of mystery that Lost had. On the top of my list of similar shows is Netflix's Dark.
Still looking for other shows that scratch that itch....

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
That's funny...my wife and I are doing a rewatch right now (3rd time, on Season 2)

Lost is arguably the best hour tv series ever made (definitely the best hour long network series ever)...and I will gladly explain all the ways it's better than Breaking Bad or Sopranos or the Wire :P

Definitely has flaws (every show does) but it is absolutely amazing what Lindelof and company was able to achieve being forced to do ~23 episodes a season. Despite the lows, they are minimal and the highs are so fucking high, it's an overall masterpiece.

Anyone who hates how it ended, was looking for a different show than they were telling. The ending is beautiful and apt.

There has never been a show like it since, and never will be again (especially in the age of steaming, 8 episode lengths, and dropping entire seasons at once)

To have a show that can equally make you laugh as well as cry, build up incredible tension and then have the most loving moments, explore the concepts of religion, politics, science vs faith, the purpose of human existence, good vs evil, whether people can truly change who they are, fate vs free will, romance, death, afterlife...I can count on one hand the number of tv shows that have effectively managed to tackle all that.

I will defend Lost from the haters to my dying day.

[edit: after now reading through the thread I am shocked by the positivity! Amazing what a decade of distance can do to reason]