• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is your favorite Lord of the Rings character?

• Frodo

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Gandalf

Votes: 214 35.4%
  • Aragorn (also includes Arwen, Giml, and Legolas)

Votes: 163 27.0%
  • Gollum/Smeagol

Votes: 23 3.8%
  • One of the annoying Hobbits aka Pippin or Merry (you better no pick this. This is a joke choice)

Votes: 37 6.1%
  • Sam

Votes: 134 22.2%
  • That cool tree from Two Towers (I wanna ride a big tree and talk to it about nature and life >.<)

Votes: 18 3.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Saruman and Sauron are angels too, albeit fallen.

Sauron was actually known for his beauty in the Second Age too.

I suspect that they'll be quite a few "stupid, sexy Sauron" memes when Amazon's Lord of the Rings: Second Age TV show finally arrives.
Oh yeah... Amazon is doing a TV show! I'll watch that too! It's hard for me to think of Sauron other than a giant red angry eye and Saruman as a backstabbing old guy lol
And he's only 6 months old. 💙💙 best cat I've ever had.

But for real, Sam is the mvp in lord of the rings. Im also a big fan of Boromir.

It's a shame Boromir died. I would trade Pippin and Merry for him making it to the end. And I just clicked on your profile and I see you're 26 like me and a artist at 343?! Yo that's amazing bro.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah... Amazon is doing a TV show! I'll watch that too! It's hard for me to think of Sauron other than a giant red angry eye and Saruman as a backstabbing old guy lol

It's a shame Boromir died. I would trade Pippin and Merry for him making it to the end. And I just clicked on your profile and I see you're 26 like me and a artist at 343?! Yo that's amazing bro.
Here's a depiction of Sauron from a game.

latest

Rather dashing.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
OP, now you need to watch the Extended Editions, which, to me, are far superior. Especially Two Towers, it really makes Faramir's stance on Frodo and Sam much more meaningful.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Proving himself above the allure of the ring puts him on the same level as Bombadil as an OG.
Sadly, Sam like any other being in Middle-earth barring Tom would have succumbed to the temptation of the One at the Cracks of Doom. It's debatable whether or not Tom would have destroyed the One when faced with the choice.

It's safe to say that only the Valar could have destroyed the One at the Cracks of Doom, because to them, who were far above Sauron in inherent might, the One would have been a mere trinket.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA

Boromir is one of the more complex character in LOTR in my opinion. It's easy for viewers to dismiss him as a one-note asshole but he truly cares about his people. Its just unfortunate that like most men he is able to fall victim to corruption. I love the extended edition scenes and how they add so much to the dynamic between Boromir, Faromir, and Denethor.

And yeah, turning 27 next month. I feel old as hell lol.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Poll fail. Where is Eomer and Theoden?

Imagine how short the trilogy would be if the lazy eagles had just flown the ring over the volcano themselves.

Man, his performance is so understated but the way he changes his voice for Gandalf is sublime.

Also this:

www.youtube.com

How Ian McKellen Acts With His Eyes

I WROTE A BOOK OF ESSAYS! It’s available for pre-order now:Amazon: https://amzn.to/3Grq5Bp Barnes & Noble: https://bit.ly/3pEZYksIndie Bound: https://bit.ly/...

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Sadly, Sam like any other being in Middle-earth barring Tom would have succumbed to the temptation of the One at the Cracks of Doom. It's debatable whether or not Tom woukd have destroyed the One when faced with the choice.

It's safe to say that only the Valar could have destroyed the One at the Cracks of Doom, because to them, who were far above Sauron in inherent might, the One would have been a mere trinket.
I can amend-

Giving the ring back to Frodo after the fight at the orc tower was a mightier deed than fighting off Shelob.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Greatest trilogy of all time.

Aragorn ? Most badass. The GOAT KING.
Gandalf ? The wisest.
Sam ? The sweetest.

Honestly, all characters are great.

Also one of my favorite quotes.

its-like-in-the-great6pk1k.jpg

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Boromir is one of the more complex character in LOTR in my opinion. It's easy for viewers to dismiss him as a one-note asshole but he truly cares about his people. Its just unfortunate that like most men he is able to fall victim to corruption. I love the extended edition scenes and how they add so much to the dynamic between Boromir, Faromir, and Denethor.

And yeah, turning 27 next month. I feel old as hell lol.
The extended cuts of the three films. Essentially lots of added scenes that expand the lore and give certain characters like Boromir more depth.

If you want more Boromir goodness, watch the extended cut of The Two Towers in particular.
Hey, I added Boromir as the cover art for the thread lol

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
It's ok to love another man

The tension you feel is not sexual, but of brotherly affection. These are two people who care about each other and greatly appreciate each other.

It'd be cool if our society was that compassionate and mature.
Yup. There isn't sexual tension, really. It's just two guys who really care about each other and bond over the course of a suicide mission.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Here's a depiction of Sauron from a game.

latest

Rather dashing.
7faa79538ae64b53a828079711cd109b.png

There must be a higher res version of this somewhere on t'internets, but it's from Jackson's original plan for RotK, where Sauron would've shown up in person to fight Aragorn. (They replaced him in the final film with a generic cave troll.)

Probably would've caused even more controversy than giving the Balrog wings XD

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
7faa79538ae64b53a828079711cd109b.png

There must be a higher res version of this somewhere on t'internets, but it's from Jackson's original plan for RotK, where Sauron would've shown up in person to fight Aragorn. (They replaced him in the final film with a generic cave troll.)

Probably would've caused even more controversy than giving the Balrog wings XD
Sensible decision by Peter in the end. A fight between the two would have detracted from Frodo and Sam's moment.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for Boromir. His father's unachievable high expectations of him led him to easily be seduced by the ring's influence and breaking his oath to Frodo.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
It's between Sam and Gandalf, obviously.

I mean, you have

"I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil."

and

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why.

But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back. Only they didn't, because they were holding on to something…
"

"What are we holding on to, Sam?"

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."

and

"Then let us be rid of it, once and for all! Come on, Mister Frodo. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! Come on!"

All fucking brilliant moments with Gandalf and Sam. Fuck it, I get misty eyed just by thinking about these moments.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Sadly, Sam like any other being in Middle-earth barring Tom would have succumbed to the temptation of the One at the Cracks of Doom. It's debatable whether or not Tom would have destroyed the One when faced with the choice.

Does it's power grow the closer it gets? I never gave it much thought, but it makes sense.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Come on, Mister Frodo. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! Come on!"

Aside from the heavily memed bits - "my precious," "one does not simply walk into Mordor," "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" and so on - this is probably the dialogue that sticks with me the most. Just an immensely powerful image of Sam carrying Frodo.

I hold the perhaps unconventional opinion that Twin Towers is the least interesting installment of the trilogy - I really enjoy the "we're on an adventure" feeling of Fellowship and the big epic battle of Return Of The King, while Twin Towers outside of the Gollum scenes feels a bit drier to me. I was also surprised when I rewatched ROTK that the ending didn't feel quite as drawn out as I remembered, though I had watched the Extended Editions that time so maybe that changes my perspective.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eomer and the Riders of Rohan charging down towards the Hornburg as the sun rises behind them, blinding the orcs and helping the riders break their line is a perfect cinematic moment.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Does it's power grow the closer it gets? I never gave it much thought, but it makes sense.
Indeed. The will of the One and its hold on the Ringbearer would increase the closer it was to its place of creation. It's why Frodo failed his task in Tolkien's mind. Sauron's will was simply greater than Frodo's and without the intervention of Gollum, Frodo for the briefest of moments would have become the Ring Lord, with the Nazgul feigning obeisance until Sauron arrived and he crushed Frodo.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Still not surpassed. Not even close. Everything is so fucking good, especially the OST.
As for characters, Gandalf is probably my favourite, but the entirety of the gang (Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli) probably edges him out just barely. Aragorn is awesome.

PS: I can understand if you recommend theatrical for first viewing, but I can't follow you if you claim to be a true fan and don't think that if anything, the Extended Editions should be even longer. There is simply not "too much of a good thing" here and you are especially wrong if you think that the RotK ending is too long.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Cant think of any ensemble movie that absolutely NAILED the casting with such perfect precision.

Thank goodness Sean Connery passed on the role of Gandalf. Ian McKellan was destined to play this, and Saruman for Christopher Lee. Magnificent actors.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Cant think of any ensemble movie that absolutely NAILED the casting with such perfect precision.

Thank goodness Sean Connery passed on the role of Gandalf. Ian McKellan was destined to play this, and Saruman for Christopher Lee. Magnificent actors.

Aint this the truth. Fellowship is probably what I've seen the most of the trilogy and it's in no small part because of those two's interactions with each other on screen.

Even if I thought at the time their wizard fight wasn't all that spectacular, it was still fun to watch.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

Same with Aragorn and Viggo Mortensen. No offense to Stuart Townsend, but he was no Aragorn/Strider.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017

I know Christopher Lee wanted to be Gandalf but his voice was too perfect for Saruman. So glad Sean Connery turned it down because he didn't understand the script/story and we also got the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen out of his choice (lol)

Dec 21, 2018
I'm actually surprised Aragorn doesn't have more votes than Sam. Aragorn is so hype. "WHAT SAY YOU?!"
To be fair, Aragorn is pretty awesome and is my favorite after Sam and Gandalf.

also I agree with the other users. The extended editions trump the standard versions. I can't go back to watching them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere Treebeard is musing in a long and protracted manner about losing this thread's poll. Or still searching in vain for the missing Entwives. :(

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Tremendous imagery indeed. Tolkien had a way of conveying such wondrous things with his often criticized prose.

For example:

"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise."

that section always gives me the chills. It goes straight to the heart and cue the waterworks.

I love how it's foreshadowed at the House of Bombadil. Obviously at that point of the story you're not sure what it means, but when you reach the end of the tale and it explicitly comes back it's like damn. And, yes, I love JRRT's prose and imagery there. Nails the melancholic, bittersweet tone perfectly - the "goodbyes are really fucking hard at times, but they're also unavoidable and a part of life. And nobody knows what comes next" feeling of it.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

To be fair, Aragorn is pretty awesome and is my favorite after Sam and Gandalf.

also I agree with the other users. The extended editions trump the standard versions. I can't go back to watching them.
Somewhere Treebeard is musing in a long and protracted manner about losing this thread's poll. Or still searching in vain for the missing Entwives. :(
Choosing between Aragorn and Treebeard is tough but I had to go with Aragorn because he is so hype and cool and a great guy. Treebeard is still great. I can't help but think having a conversation with a tree is cool lol I'm a dork.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
The reason Sam calls him Mr. Frodo is because Sam is Frodo's gardner so he works for him. They just happen to be friends as well. Also the reason the hobbits have "very little personality" is because hobbits are simple folks. They aren't great men like Aragorn but the point is that even simple/small people can change the future.

From The Letters pf J.R.R. Tolkein:

Letter 246 said:
Sam is meant to be lovable and laughable. Some readers he irritates and even infuriates. I can well understand it. All hobbits at times affect me in the same way, though I remain very fond of them. But Sam can be very 'trying'. He is a more representative hobbit than any others that we have to see much of; and he has consequently a stronger ingredient of that quality which even some hobbits found at times hard to bear: a vulgarity — by which I do not mean a mere 'down-to- earthiness' — a mental myopia which is proud of itself, a smugness (in varying degrees) and cocksureness, and a readiness to measure and sum up all things from a limited experience, largely enshrined in sententious traditional 'wisdom'. We only meet exceptional hobbits in close companionship – those who had a grace or gift: a vision of beauty, and a reverence for things nobler than themselves, at war with their rustic self-satisfaction. Imagine Sam without his education by Bilbo and his fascination with things Elvish! Not difficult. The Cotton family and the Gaffer, when the 'Travellers' return are a sufficient glimpse.

Oct 26, 2017
Still not surpassed. Not even close. Everything is so fucking good, especially the OST.
As for characters, Gandalf is probably my favourite, but the entirety of the gang (Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli) probably edges him out just barely. Aragorn is awesome.

PS: I can understand if you recommend theatrical for first viewing, but I can't follow you if you claim to be a true fan and don't think that if anything, the Extended Editions should be even longer. There is simply not "too much of a good thing" here and you are especially wrong if you think that the RotK ending is too long.
As films I heavily prefer the theatrical films. Though I'm not against the existence of the extended editions, the transition between scenes and the pacing really suffer alongside some odd visual choices Jackson makes.

Also I picked Sam. Cuz it's Sam.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
You're going to confuse the newbies with the entwives. So sad because by the sound of what Tolkien left about them they're probably all dead.

Edit I mean dead by the time of the war of the ring I mean. They're obviously all dead by now.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I think Frodo is one of the richest mortals in Middle Earth. He just doesn't act like it because it's uncouth for a hobbit to be flashy.

and I do feel bad for Boromir. Dude is basically still suffering from PTSD from taking back Osgiliarth, and has been fighting and em watching his friends die for years. Meanwhile, all these other rich forks are safe and cozy, not doing a damn thing to help him or his kingdom, and saying this other dude he doesn't know is his king.