• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is your favorite Lord of the Rings character?

• Frodo

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Gandalf

Votes: 214 35.4%
  • Aragorn (also includes Arwen, Giml, and Legolas)

Votes: 163 27.0%
  • Gollum/Smeagol

Votes: 23 3.8%
  • One of the annoying Hobbits aka Pippin or Merry (you better no pick this. This is a joke choice)

Votes: 37 6.1%
  • Sam

Votes: 134 22.2%
  • That cool tree from Two Towers (I wanna ride a big tree and talk to it about nature and life >.<)

Votes: 18 3.0%

• Total voters

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Also, we should all respect the Gamgee for being a simple gardener who took on a primordial monstrosity (Shelob) and won.
He was lucky it wasn't her mother Ungoliant. Now that is probably the most interesting lore for me. Even Eru Illuvatar (God) doesn't know where she came from. But yes Sam was the true hero. He even turned down the one ring's promise of giving him everything he wanted.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, we should all respect the Gamgee for being a simple gardener who took on a primordial monstrosity (Shelob) and won.

You mean stupid, sexy Shelob?

StupidSexyShelobSize.jpg

He was lucky it wasn't her mother Ungoliant. Now that is probably the most interesting lore for me. Even Eru Illuvatar (God) doesn't know where she came from.

Ungoliant was pretty much a Lovecraftian creature like that.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, he did have the Phial of Galadriel, which contained the light of a Silmaril, which originated from the light of Telperion and Laurelin. Such light would been incendiary to Shelob.

Mar 30, 2019
He invented a whole language (Elven) for it. Tolkien was hardcore.

Edit: In the spirit of accuracy, it is actually called Quenya. Enjoy the deep dive.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I'll check out more of the lore after the Hobbit trilogy and some Game of Thrones. I had no idea the lore ran that deep lol

So like think of it like an iceberg. Most authors create and give you the tip of the iceberg above the water, and sort of create the illusion of the rest of the iceberg underneath the surface of the water right? Tolkien actually created 100% of the fucking iceberg lol

You're in for life now, mate! Enjoy.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
He was lucky it wasn't her mother Ungoliant. Now that is probably the most interesting lore for me. Even Eru Illuvatar (God) doesn't know where she came from. But yes Sam was the true hero. He even turned down the one ring's promise of giving him everything he wanted.
That's not quite correct. It was the Valar who were unsure of Ungoliant's origins. Eru himself was both omniscient and omnipotent and knew all that had occured and would occur, as he stated to Melkor during the weaving of Arda:

"Then Ilúvatar spoke, and he said: 'Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Ilúvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'"

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I'll check out more of the lore after the Hobbit trilogy and some Game of Thrones. I had no idea the lore ran that deep lol
Most people hate the Hobbit trilogy but I quite enjoy them outside of some bad CGI especially when LOTR aged a lot better. It might not be as good as LOTR but I enjoy the world so much that even just a little more of that world is enough.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The Tolkien thread by Loxley is a great place to start if you're interested in exploring Tolkien's mythos:

www.resetera.com

TolkienERA |OT| Renewed shall be the blade that was broken

Welcome everyone to a new era of Tolkien discussion. Feel free to discuss anything and everything related to the works of JRR Tolkien - be they books, movies, board games, video games, whatever your lovely Hobbit-hearts desire. The latest official release is The Fall of Gondolin! Technically...

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
That's not quite correct. It was the Valar who were unsure of Ungoliant's origins. Eru himself was both omniscient and omnipotent and knew all that had occured and would occur, as he stated to Melkor during the weaving of Arda:

"Then Ilúvatar spoke, and he said: 'Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Ilúvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'"
Might be the headache I have so the old English probably isn't registering. As far as I know Illuvatar knows Ungoliant came from behind the door of night I believe it's called but he doesn't know how she was created because he didn't create her right? I don't know I know I don't know everything about Tolkien's work. That's how I remember it being explained to me.

Mar 30, 2019
The Tolkien thread by Loxley is a great place to start if you're interested in exploring Tolkien's mythos:

www.resetera.com

Welcome everyone to a new era of Tolkien discussion. Feel free to discuss anything and everything related to the works of JRR Tolkien - be they books, movies, board games, video games, whatever your lovely Hobbit-hearts desire. The latest official release is The Fall of Gondolin! Technically...
Smile.png

I have to check out the other site sections.
This forum is getting better all the time.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Tolkien's lore is extremely extensive. He basically singlehandedly created modern high fantasy.
He invented a whole language (Elven) for it. Tolkien was hardcore.
So like think of it like an iceberg. Most authors create and give you the tip of the iceberg above the water, and sort of create the illusion of the rest of the iceberg underneath the surface of the water right? Tolkien actually created 100% of the fucking iceberg lol

You're in for life now, mate! Enjoy.
Most people hate the Hobbit trilogy but I quite enjoy them outside of some bad CGI especially when LOTR aged a lot better. It might not be as good as LOTR but I enjoy the world so much that even just a little more of that world is enough.

www.resetera.com

Lol wow!!! Thanks for this. I appreciate it. I'm gonna check it out for sure and this thanks silentg for that wizard lore link

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy I learned about Tulkas the Strong and how he's basically what would happen if Hulk Hogan became a demigod/angel/whatever and never broke kayfabe.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Might be the headache I have so the old English probably isn't registering. As far as I know Illuvatar knows Ungoliant came from behind the door of night I believe it's called but he doesn't know how she was created because he didn't create her right? I don't know I know I don't know everything about Tolkien's work. That's how I remember it being explained to me.
Eru would have created the universe, Ea. The Ainu would have followed after that. Then they all came together to create Arda and during its creation Ungoliant came about and Melkor corrupted her to his service:

"The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service. But she had disowned her Master, desiring to be mistress of her own lust, taking all things to herself to feed her emptiness; and she fled to the south, escaping the assaults of the Valar and the hunters of Oromë, for their vigilance had ever been to the north, and the south was long unheeded."

Of course, this could just be unreliable Elvish narrative, which much of The Silmarillion can be construed as. Or even, the mistranslations of a certain hobbit who this information was passed onto. That's the beauty of Tolkien's mythos.

silentg

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
This thread has made me realise the importance of the films on a certain generation. The films are an amazing achievement, and if they inspire people to go and check out the books and the lore, then fantastic!

silentg

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Eru would have created the universe, Ea. The Ainu would have followed after that. Then they all came together to create Arda and during its creation Ungoliant came about and Melkor corrupted her to his service:

"The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service. But she had disowned her Master, desiring to be mistress of her own lust, taking all things to herself to feed her emptiness; and she fled to the south, escaping the assaults of the Valar and the hunters of Oromë, for their vigilance had ever been to the north, and the south was long unheeded."

Of course, this could just be unreliable Elvish narrative, which much of The Silmarillion can be construed as. Or even, the mistranslations of a certain hobbit who this information was passed onto. That's the beauty of Tolkien's mythos.

The opening of The Silmarillion always felt like an analogy of the bible creation myth. Lots of Norse incorporated incorporated into it too. I am happy to be corrected.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
The wizards are neat, especially the two blue wizards, who Tolkien suspected just fucked off into the east and founded magic cults, haha.
Edmond Dantes can correct if Im wrong but wasn't there a later letter that said they actually did succeed in turning men in the East away from Sauron's recruitment and made the armies from the East smaller than they would have normally been and helped in Sauron's defeat in that way? I'm probably wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Edmond Dantes can correct if Im wrong but wasn't there a later letter that said they actually did succeed in turning men in the East away from Sauron's recruitment and made the armies from the East smaller than they would have normally been and helped in Sauron's defeat in that way? I'm probably wrong.

Can't be arsed to pull out Letters of JRRT as I'm off to bed, but it's possible Tolkien wrote that. I just remember him writing that he suspected they travelled into the east and founded magic cults.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Tolkien was rather confused in the matter himself. In some writings they failed their task just as Radagast and Saruman did, with only Gandalf succeeding out of all the Istari, but in others they were successful via subterfuge and played a crucial role in undermining Sauron's forces in the East. We cannot be absolutely sure.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017

Hmm it's probably someone speculating about her coming from the darkness. I heard Melkor found her behind the door of night when he went to look for the flame and convinced her then to join him and then later she turned on him because he wouldn't let her eat the two lights from the two trees. That passage makes it sound like a vague darkness and could be any type of darkness and not necessarily the door of night.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2017
If all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us, then one better use that time to watch this trilogy at least once.

Jan 31, 2018
High King Fingolfin is probably my overall favourite character but sticking to the movies, it's Gandalf. No lie, McKellan's performance was fairly instrumental in getting me to overcome religiously motivated prejudices as a young teenager.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sam is… well…. What's the deal with him calling Frodo "Mr. Frodo" all the time? It's cringey. I highly doubt there's a class system within the Hobbits so why reference Frodo as "Mr"? Sam fighting the huge spider in Return of the King was hype.
It's important to remember that Frodo is the hobbit equivalent of a wealthy aristocrat, being adopted by Bilbo who brought back a lot of treasure from his own adventure (and already having been wealthy before that), and their home of Bag End is like the best home in the Shire. Sam is very much his social inferior, even if the movie makes it feel like they are good friends (which they still are). The movie also doesn't have a time skip between Bilbo's party and Frodo's departure to Bree like the books (I think it's around 30 years), and Frodo is actually a bit older than the other hobbits (not much, and Frodo is also not aging normally similar to Bilbo). On top of that, Sam and his father before him are both employees of Frodo, being his gardners.

Sam calling Frodo "Mr. Frodo" is both him acknowledging Frodo's status, and also a sign of his own humbleness. This is actually a huge strength of Sam's character, as in the books we see the Ring attempt to tempt Sam during the brief period he has it, but it doesn't work because Sam doesn't really desire anything the Ring can offer him, preferring to work with his hands and enjoy the benefits of his own labor. Tolkein described their relationship like being that of a aristocratic military officer and a loyal soldier in one of Britain's wars, and even considers Sam rather than Frodo the "Chief Hero" of the story.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
The imagery of the sparks from Nahar's hooves being the only light in Valinor after Morgoth killed the Trees is incredible.
Tremendous imagery indeed. Tolkien had a way of conveying such wondrous things with his often criticized prose.

For example:

"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise."

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
It's important to remember that Frodo is the hobbit equivalent of a wealthy aristocrat, being adopted by Bilbo who brought back a lot of treasure from his own adventure (and already having been wealthy before that), and their home of Bag End is like the best home in the Shire. Sam is very much his social inferior, even if the movie makes it feel like they are good friends (which they still are). The movie also doesn't have a time skip between Bilbo's party and Frodo's departure to Bree like the books (I think it's around 30 years), and Frodo is actually a bit older than the other hobbits (not much, and Frodo is also not aging normally similar to Bilbo). On top of that, Sam and his father before him are both employees of Frodo, being his gardners.

Sam calling Frodo "Mr. Frodo" is both him acknowledging Frodo's status, and also a sign of his own humbleness. This is actually a huge strength of Sam's character, as in the books we see the Ring attempt to tempt Sam during the brief period he has it, but it doesn't work because Sam doesn't really desire anything the Ring can offer him, preferring to work with his hands and enjoy the benefits of his own labor. Tolkein described their relationship like being that of a aristocratic military officer and a loyal soldier in one of Britain's wars, and even considers Sam rather than Frodo the "Chief Hero" of the story.

Yeah lol some people earlier told me about the dynamic between Frodo and Sam. I had no idea. The movies never really even said Sam worked for Frodo unless I missed it. I also had no idea Gandalf was a angel lol
20201022-145327.jpg

Meet my Siberian cat, Samwise.
That might be one of the cutest cats I ever seen

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah lol some people earlier told me about the dynamic between Frodo and Sam. I had no idea. The movies never really even said Sam worked for Frodo unless I missed it. I also had no idea Gandalf was a angel lol

Saruman and Sauron are angels too, albeit fallen.

Sauron was actually known for his beauty in the Second Age too.

I suspect that they'll be quite a few "stupid, sexy Sauron" memes when Amazon's Lord of the Rings: Second Age TV show finally arrives.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA

And he's only 6 months old. 💙💙 best cat I've ever had.

But for real, Sam is the mvp in lord of the rings. Im also a big fan of Boromir.