• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is your favorite Lord of the Rings character?

• Frodo

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Gandalf

Votes: 214 35.4%
  • Aragorn (also includes Arwen, Giml, and Legolas)

Votes: 163 27.0%
  • Gollum/Smeagol

Votes: 23 3.8%
  • One of the annoying Hobbits aka Pippin or Merry (you better no pick this. This is a joke choice)

Votes: 37 6.1%
  • Sam

Votes: 134 22.2%
  • That cool tree from Two Towers (I wanna ride a big tree and talk to it about nature and life >.<)

Votes: 18 3.0%

• Total voters

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Fun fact: I was gonna make a thread for each movie in the trilogy after I watched it but Fellowship of the Ring ended so good that I didn't even bother making a LTTP for it and just launched right into the Two Towers.

I actually tried to watch Fellowship of the Ring when I was younger but the beginning is SOOO boring and dry that I would either fall asleep or give up. Well guess what? Your boy decided to stick through it and I'm SO glad I did.

Fellowship starts off boring but it picks up when Frodo and Sam meet Aragorn. Aragorn is definitely one of my top favorite characters throughout the trilogy. He actually managed to even beat Boromir. I freaking cursed when Boromir died.

I LOVE Gandalf. His screen presence is insane. Whenever he's on screen, I can't help but wait for what he has to say.

I also like Gimil and Legolas. I really like how close the main gang got and the fact that they were really to fight to the death to save each other.

Gollum is pretty much Joker to me. There's a really good scene of him having internal conflict with himself and the backstory of how he came to be is also really sad.

I really just wanna talk about Frodo. I don't hate Frodo but I feel like he had zero personality. I like how the Ring changed him throughout the series. I like How Frodo stopped Boromir's brother from killing Gollum. The ONLY really hype scene I liked from Frodo was when he said "This is Sting" to Gollum. I was like yooooooo okay Frodo. When I think of Frodo, all I can think about is him saying "Sam…" a million times.

Sam is… well…. What's the deal with him calling Frodo "Mr. Frodo" all the time? It's cringey. I highly doubt there's a class system within the Hobbits so why reference Frodo as "Mr"? Sam fighting the huge spider in Return of the King was hype.

The bad guy being a big red evil eye and not having a real physical body was interesting and cool. Sauraman is actually more interesting to me than Sauron lol I need a wizard origin story.

Did I mention that Aragorn is my favorite character? I'm pretty sure I did and I'm gonna say it again. I wish there was a spinoff with him and Legolas and Gimil going on adventures some more.

I'll never forget how good the music is during the movies and the insane close up on people's eyes all the time. There's some really good fight scenes too. I also like Galadriel giving Frodo advice in that cool mystic voice.

Either way, I really enjoyed the trilogy and is ready to start up the Hobbit trilogy then head into Game of Thrones!

ONE LAST THING... I remember in Return of the King..... Eowyn killed that wraith thing and it was gosh dang amazing.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
If you're only talking about the film versions my favourite character is Boromir.

Fellowship is one of the greatest fantasy film ever made. Two Towers is pretty good. ROTK was kinda average (was not a fan of the dead men being unstoppable).

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing trilogy and one that will go down in history as one of the greatest accomplishments in film making.

This scene in particular from Fellowship has always stuck with me:

Voted for Gandalf of course.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
OP...

ahhh... just skip the Hobbit trilogy and go right to Game of Thrones and then just skip the last season of that too and maybe try Downton Abby?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Before you start The Hobbit movies do keep in mind that they are not on the same caliber as the LOTR films and do have some questionable moments throughout. Still, it's great to see more of the world/lore and they are still entertaining movies so long as you temper your expectations.

Also, are you watching the extended editions or theatricals for all of these films?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
imo the hobbit is best watched with one of the fan edits like the Bilbo Edition which cut out most of the padding and make it far closer to the book, and a substantially more enjoyable watch.. They are ~4h:30m though (down from over 8 hours though!). Maple Films also turns the Gandalf stuff into its own separate thing.

Oct 30, 2017
Gandalf got my vote because McKellan's interpretation of the character is pitch perfect. There wasn't a single HARRY DID YA PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIYAH!? moment from him. It's like he was lifted straight from the page. Sean Astin as Sam was also pretty perfect, but he really doesn't get a chance to shine until the end of TTT and all of ROTK.

Sam is the MVP of the entire trilogy, but not my favorite.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Where is Galadriel in the poll though? :P

main-qimg-59bcfb9b87286e037fc7de34b3b6c0f3.webp

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Watching these with my roommates for the first time toward the beginning of quarantine made me realize that, although I remember them being pretty culturally well-remembered, Legolas and Gimli sure don't do much in the movies? I didn't watch the extended versions (maybe someday) so IDK if those have some better Legolas/Gimli moments, but in the versions I saw they seemed like kind of nothing characters, beyond I guess people being thirsty for Orlando Bloom.

silentg

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Samwise Gamgee is the heart of the quest. The quest fails without him. He is the determination and the drive that keeps Frodo going.

Frodo carries the ring, but Sam carries Frodo.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
The reason Sam calls him Mr. Frodo is because Sam is Frodo's gardner so he works for him. They just happen to be friends as well. Also the reason the hobbits have "very little personality" is because hobbits are simple folks. They aren't great men like Aragorn but the point is that even simple/small people can change the future.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Watching these with my roommates for the first time toward the beginning of quarantine made me realize that, although I remember them being pretty culturally well-remembered, Legolas and Gimli sure don't do much in the movies? I didn't watch the extended versions (maybe someday) so IDK if those have some better Legolas/Gimli moments, but in the versions I saw they seemed like kind of nothing characters, beyond I guess people being thirsty for Orlando Bloom.

I mean, they dominated the Battle of Helm's Deep. Along with being insanely good fighters, they represent a really positive bond between two races that despise each other but learn to work together and eventually became bros

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Sam is… well…. What's the deal with him calling Frodo "Mr. Frodo" all the time? It's cringey. I highly doubt there's a class system within the Hobbits so why reference Frodo as "Mr"?

Well.. sorta. Bilbo Baggins brought home a lot riches so one could say he was 'upper class'. The Gamgees (Sam and his father) worked as gardeners/caretakes at the Baggins property; so you could see them as personel / servants. But yeah, I always found the dynamic to be weird and archaic since Frodo and Sam are clearly very good friends. I never liked how Sam was portrayed as some simpleton in his mannerisms compared to Frodo; but most of seems to come from Tolkien's experience during the first world war.

Tolkienologists regard Sam as Frodo's batman. In the British Army, a batman was an orderly who acted as the personal servant of an officer. It was a role with which Tolkien (who served as an Army officer in the First World War) would have been extremely familiar. Sam undertakes all of the typical roles of a batman - he runs errands for Frodo, he cooks, he transports him (or at least carries him), and he carries his luggage. Tolkien confirmed this interpretation when he wrote in a private letter that:

"My Sam Gamgee is indeed a reflexion of the English soldier, of the privates and batmen I knew in the 1914 war, and recognized as so far superior to myself"—J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography, page 89, ed. Humphrey Carpenter.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Fun fact: I was gonna make a thread for each movie in the trilogy after I watched it but Fellowship of the Ring ended so good that I didn't even bother making a LTTP for it and just launched right into the Two Towers.

I actually tried to watch Fellowship of the Ring when I was younger but the beginning is SOOO boring and dry that I would either fall asleep or give up. Well guess what? Your boy decided to stick through it and I'm SO glad I did.

Fellowship starts off boring but it picks up when Frodo and Sam meet Aragorn. Aragorn is definitely one of my top favorite characters throughout the trilogy. He actually managed to even beat Boromir. I freaking cursed when Boromir died.

I LOVE Gandalf. His screen presence is insane. Whenever he's on screen, I can't help but wait for what he has to say.

I also like Gimil and Legolas. I really like how close the main gang got and the fact that they were really to fight to the death to save each other.

Gollum is pretty much Joker to me. There's a really good scene of him having internal conflict with himself and the backstory of how he came to be is also really sad.

I really just wanna talk about Frodo. I don't hate Frodo but I feel like he had zero personality. I like how the Ring changed him throughout the series. I like How Frodo stopped Boromir's brother from killing Gollum. The ONLY really hype scene I liked from Frodo was when he said "This is Sting" to Gollum. I was like yooooooo okay Frodo. When I think of Frodo, all I can think about is him saying "Sam…" a million times.

Sam is… well…. What's the deal with him calling Frodo "Mr. Frodo" all the time? It's cringey. I highly doubt there's a class system within the Hobbits so why reference Frodo as "Mr"? Sam fighting the huge spider in Return of the King was hype.

The bad guy being a big red evil eye and not having a real physical body was interesting and cool. Sauraman is actually more interesting to me than Sauron lol I need a wizard origin story.

Did I mention that Aragorn is my favorite character? I'm pretty sure I did and I'm gonna say it again. I wish there was a spinoff with him and Legolas and Gimil going on adventures some more.

I'll never forget how good the music is during the movies and the insane close up on people's eyes all the time. There's some really good fight scenes too. I also like Galadriel giving Frodo advice in that cool mystic voice.

Either way, I really enjoyed the trilogy and is ready to start up the Hobbit trilogy then head into Game of Thrones!

ONE LAST THING... I remember in Return of the King..... Eowyn killed that wraith thing and it was gosh dang amazing.

Friendly advice: watch the extended editions of the hobbit movies. The last movie went from an incoherent mess of a film in its theatrical release to possibly my favorite of the three!

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Also, there's so much sexual tension in the movies between Sam and Frodo. It's absolutely simmering.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Fellowship is the ultimate embodiment of "adventure" in cinema. It works beautifully as a standalone journey

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Poll fail. Where is Eomer and Theoden?

Imagine how short the trilogy would be if the lazy eagles had just flown the ring over the volcano themselves.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

The reason Sam calls him Mr. Frodo is because Sam is Frodo's gardner so he works for him. They just happen to be friends as well. Also the reason the hobbits have "very little personality" is because hobbits are simple folks. They aren't great men like Aragorn but the point is that even simple/small people can change the future.
Well.. sorta. Bilbo Baggins brought home a lot riches so one could say he was 'upper class'. The Gamgees (Sam and his father) worked as gardeners/caretakes at the Baggins property; so you could see them as personel / servants. But yeah, I always found the dynamic to be weird and archaic since Frodo and Sam are clearly very good friends. I never liked how Sam was portrayed as some simpleton in his mannerisms compared to Frodo; but most of seems to come from Tolkien's experience during the first world war.
anigif_enhanced-22046-1400690193-14.gif

Ohhh..... I see.....

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
My favorite movies. I feel like Lord of the Rings is to me what the original Star Wars trilogy is to a lot of people. I was only around 10 years old when I saw Fellowship in theaters. It really blew my mind, along with the sequels in the years following. Sure, I didn't understand everything when I was a kid, but countless re-watches have really cemented these movies as one of my favorite things in life.
I finally started reading the books this year. I was always afraid they would ruin my love for the movies somehow. But really, they've only made me appreciate them more. They really nailed it with the movies - in many cases I actually prefer the movie handling of certain things.
Honestly, no movie or TV series has really come close to what LOTR is for me. It still holds up so well. I could go on and on about how flawless these movies are from the designs, acting, directing, music, etc.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Favorite is always either Sam or Frodo, as the years go by I lean harder to Frodo. Yes, Sam helped Frodo the whole time but Frodo was the one with the impossible burden. And in the end, guess what he gets? Nothing. He doesn't get the girl or a family or to go back to just drinking ale with friends. He doesn't get to be King. No, Frodo gets a scar that never heals and constantly bothers him and PTSD with his final gift being allowed to go to a place to rest.

That's just true hero shit right there and more realistic with regards to life. The true heroes often don't get fairy tale endings.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I rewatched the first two not that long ago, and I think they've held up really well. I still find it stirring when Aaragorn and Theodin decide to ride out at the end of the Two Towers.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Sam is… well…. What's the deal with him calling Frodo "Mr. Frodo" all the time? It's cringey. I highly doubt there's a class system within the Hobbits so why reference Frodo as "Mr"?
Actually, you're right: it is a class thing. He calls him Master Frodo in the books. Frodo is basically Hobbit aristocracy, as are Merry and Pippin - Sam represents the common folk.

BrokenMill

Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Sauron (the bad guy) actually does have a physical body. The lidless eye is only a visual representation of his gaze through his Palantir.

Saruman, Gandalf and 3 other wizards are actually the same type of beings as Sauron. (basically lesser angels)

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
If you want to go down a rabbit hole of LOTR lore just YouTube Gandalf and Saruman's origins and go from there lol.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if it is just Ian McKellen's performance swaying me but Gandalf just edges Sam in my opinion. I could imagine someone other than Sean Astin playing Sam in a future adaptation. God knows how they ever have someone other than McKellen play Gandalf though.

Either way, both are incredible. They have most of the best lines and moments for me.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Look to the east, at first light on the 2nd day. And you'll know that Gandalf is my answer.

Also, there's so much sexual tension in the movies between Sam and Frodo. It's absolutely simmering.
It's ok to love another man

The tension you feel is not sexual, but of brotherly affection. These are two people who care about each other and greatly appreciate each other.

It'd be cool if our society was that compassionate and mature.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Friendly advice: watch the extended editions of the hobbit movies. The last movie went from an incoherent mess of a film in its theatrical release to possibly my favorite of the three!
Yes, extended editions of the Hobbit movies, for sure. The ending felt so rushed in the theatrical but was pretty much perfect in the extended edition.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Sauron (the bad guy) actually does have a physical body. The lidless eye is only a visual representation of his gaze through his Palantir.

Saruman, Gandalf and 3 other wizards are actually the same type of beings as Sauron. (basically lesser angels)
What the hell??? Lol did I miss something???
Legolas ought to be alone in that poll.
gucci3.png
Legolas is cool but he barely said anything. C'mon now.
If you want to go down a rabbit hole of LOTR lore just YouTube Gandalf and Saruman's origins and go from there lol.
I'm tempted because I really want a wizard origin story. :/