• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Just over a month ago I made a thread asking if Vader Immortal was being overlooked. My first ever VR experience, having just recently bought the Oculus Quest (thanks in no small part to HL: ALYX's announcement), Vader Immortal was an incredible first time experience that showed me just how immersive the virtual reality platform can be. But... that was a month ago. Things have changed. And just this past weekend, thanks to the Oculus Link capability, I played through Ready At Dawn's incredible Lone Echo in two sittings and got to see just how special VR really is.

It was, in short, an endlessly breathtaking experience. Like, I actually got drymouth several times from just playing with my mouth wide open at what I was seeing and doing. The movement alone is outstanding and always felt cool to fling myself forward, and then reach out to grab something to stop. There are some things that I really didn't like, such as trying to accurately put the damn jetpack on my back (which took around 10 minutes to get right) and some of the dangerous navigation in the last third really started to grate. But my god, this game, from a presentation and immersion standpoint is just insane. I loved the storytelling, loved the relationship between Jack and Olivia, the amount of storytelling hidden in the clutter all around you and the post-it notes attached to certain things.

Having loved Ready At Dawn's PSP output there was a part of me that was bummed The Order: 1886 was a dud for them. But little did I know at the time that this was what they had been working on since that game shipped. It is, without question, one of the best experiences I've had with the medium of games - for moments both big (the first time you actually go out into space) and small (naturally putting my hand on Liv's helmet to reassure her). I really, really can't wait for Lone Echo II...

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I've got this to play via revive. I had some issues recently but it seems rift games are working again for me so when my fixed left controller comes I'll be driving in to it.

Took so long to see it on sale on the rift store!

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I remind my friends to play this every time we talk about VR.
That started 1.5 years ago, and none of them have played it yet.

Its still my favorite VR experience by far!

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to read that. Got an Oculus Quest on Christmas along with Link and bought the game on sale.

Unfortunately, I was about to play it when I received a rebate from Oculus and bought Asgard's Wrath. It has been my main VR game since.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone played this with an index via revive? Any issues or compatibly problems with the knuckles controllers ?

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Lone Echo is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The multiplayer Echo Arena is also incredible, but it's been a long time since I've played.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
The lil open world section where you can fly anywhere outside the station is sooooo good. Peak VR stuff right there.

Finding the dead astronauts was terrifying, I couldn't even go up to their faces I was 100% sure of a jump scare lol

But yeah to be brutally honest, the second half of corridors of those explodey alien goop everywhere and backtracking felt reaaaaally weak and was a drag, though I did love the ending and interacting with Olivia.

So happy more people are discovering this gem c:

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll add to the chorus of praise. Lone Echo remains the most immersive VR experience I've had. It's also a lesson in how to make comfortable VR while offering complete freedom of movement.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'll add to the chorus of praise. Lone Echo remains the most immersive VR experience I've had. It's also a lesson in how to make comfortable VR while offering complete freedom of movement.

Would love an underwater horror game built around similar principles. Would scare the absolute shit outta me.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Just over a month ago I made a thread asking if Vader Immortal was being overlooked. My first ever VR experience, having just recently bought the Oculus Quest (thanks in no small part to HL: ALYX's announcement), Vader Immortal was an incredible first time experience that showed me just how immersive the virtual reality platform can be. But... that was a month ago. Things have changed. And just this past weekend, thanks to the Oculus Link capability, I played through Ready At Dawn's incredible Lone Echo in two sittings and got to see just how special VR really is.

It was, in short, an endlessly breathtaking experience. Like, I actually got drymouth several times from just playing with my mouth wide open at what I was seeing and doing. The movement alone is outstanding and always felt cool to fling myself forward, and then reach out to grab something to stop. There are some things that I really didn't like, such as trying to accurately put the damn jetpack on my back (which took around 10 minutes to get right) and some of the dangerous navigation in the last third really started to grate. But my god, this game, from a presentation and immersion standpoint is just insane. I loved the storytelling, loved the relationship between Jack and Olivia, the amount of storytelling hidden in the clutter all around you and the post-it notes attached to certain things.

Having loved Ready At Dawn's PSP output there was a part of me that was bummed The Order: 1886 was a dud for them. But little did I know at the time that this was what they had been working on since that game shipped. It is, without question, one of the best experiences I've had with the medium of games - for moments both big (the first time you actually go out into space) and small (naturally putting my hand on Liv's helmet to reassure her). I really, really can't wait for Lone Echo II...

Right around this point some will search for Lone Echo on YouTube, watch a few second and say "I don't see whats so especial about it". You and me know what a huge difference can be from seeing a video vs actually playing a VR game, but unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that try to understand what is the experience like with a 2D video. Lone Echo was also one of my favorite gaming experiences ever and If you a have a friend with a compatible VR headset, this is one of the games you must try.

JavonMcCloud

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite VR experiences. I still haven't played a game where moving through space and interacting with the environment felt as good as it does there. I can't wait for the sequel.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The multiplayer Echo Arena is also incredible, but it's been a long time since I've played.
I'm waiting for the quest version of arena then I'm going to start playing again. The skill gap is just too much for me on the rift because everyone left playing are really good at it so it's hard to jump back into.

apessino

Ready at Dawn
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Irvine, CA
Thank you so much for the kind words, Lone Echo has been so special for us - I really hope you will enjoy the sequel.

I am reasonably confident you will, in my (obviously biased) opinion it is shaping up nicely. :)

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you so much for the kind words, Lone Echo has been so special for us - I really hope you will enjoy the sequel.

I am reasonably confident you will, in my (obviously biased) opinion it is shaping up nicely. :)

No, thank you! The whole game felt like magic. One of the most genuinely exhilarating things I've ever experienced.