• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
zG59x6U.jpg

I've been behind on LBP games. I played 1 & 2, but never got around to playing the Vita game or LBP3. Right before the PS5 launch and Sackboy launch I was curious to see what to expect from a Sumo Digital LBP platformer. I like Sumo Digital and they're a good dev, but I mostly know them from their racers like Outrun 2 and Sonic Transformed.

I looked up the reviews for LBP3 before playing and they were generally about 8/10. Good, but nothing new or special for LBP.

I started playing LBP3 and right off the bat this game was incredibly charming. You can say LBP always has been, and you'd be right. But there was so much creativity on display from the start with the platforming, the puzzles, the abilities you get like teleporting or ROCKET SHOES, and then the new characters were excellent. Whether it's Tonk doing all kinds of fun puzzle platforming as you switch between big & small (which was really fun), or Swoop diving through levels or the dog doing fun wall bounce speedruns, the gameplay was incredibly varied, diverse and full of charm. It's just an extremely well designed game.

Now I stopped about midway through LBP3 when Sackboy came out and played through that and actively disliked that game. Just felt like Sumo Digital did not understand how to make a platformer on a very fundemental level. Sackboy is slow, clunky and both boring & frustrating at the same time. It's like they tried to make the most uninteresting simple platformer for their first attempt at 3d. It made me scared to go back to where I left off LBP3, because Sackboy gave a good first impression as well and got worse and worse as it went.

So I went back to LBP3 yesterday and just finished it and...it never gets bad? It continued to be an absolutely fantastic puzzle platformer and reminded me a lot of another underrated platformer, Puppeteer. The gadgets and playable characters in LBP3 puts this campaign way above the first two LBP games (though I still think Media Molecule is an incredible dev and love what they started with LBP and loved Tearaway and what I've played of their Dreams campaign). The variety in LBP3 really bring enough varied quality to put it this campaign up there with some really great platformers. Awesome music and art as well. And yes, it's still a physics platformer and the physics have float to them.

...and then it ended.

So LBP3's one (and only imo) crime is that it's an extremely good puzzle platformer campaign that is 3 worlds and a tutorial long. Maybe 4-5 hours total. I thought I was about halfway through when the final boss showed up. With the gadgets and new characters so good, it's a bit of a bummer they only get used for a stage or two (and are used very well), and then it's over. Like the rocket boots are really great and they get one main stage. They could have easily made double the length campaign with all the tools you get, but I guess they figured the online portion of LBP would carry the replay value of the game after that. I'm a little curious at what some of the better user levels are like with these new tools & character. There's so much possibility there.

I wish with Sackboy (which is over double LBP3's length), that Sumo Digital would have built from this incredible LBP3 campaign as a base and made a really amazing game like this again but longer similar controls and abilities. Sackboy is such an incredibly slow character in his game and his moveset is so limited. And Sackboy just lacks a lot of the charm and wonder of their LBP3 even if it has shinier better graphics. I gotta wonder how the team went from something so fantastic and ambitious to something so plain. I guess 3d is hard.

If you have a PS5 and have PS+ LBP3 is included in the PS+ collection and you own it and I'd highly recommend giving it a try! It might take a few minutes to adjust because it's locked 30fps (I have a feeling the framerate is tied to the physics), but once you do the game still looks and plays great and I had no issues playing the campaign through on PS5. I'd easily recommend it over Sackboy if you're looking for a platformer besides Astro's on your new system. Also for all PS4 players that still haven't played LBP3, easy recommendation as well. Pretty sure it's very cheap these days.

Even the costumes are better (and cheaper) in LBP3 compared to Sackboy. Costs like 5-15 bells a costume and can change costumes during stages, whereas Sackboy is like 1200-1500 bells and can only change in the shop :(

7XCqzN3h.jpg

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was fun but I never finished it. It also was fairly buggy. The new movement options due to the different characters was great.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember trying that game at Bestbuy back in 2014, and immediately noticing the better physics for Sackboy. I never got around to playing it, despite getting it on PS+.

Maybe I should rectify that.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
LBP3 was probably the most I've enjoyed playing any campaign in this series, including A Big Adventure. Never played the kart game though.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
LBP3 is the best game in the series, but it was a buggy mess at launch and by the time it'd been patched up, it feels like the community had already abandoned it. Shame.

OP
OP
Bebpo

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
That sucks about the bugs killing it early on :(

Also I was looking at trophies and saw there was a DLC expansion campaign with about one world of new levels? Hmmm, will have to play it. I wonder if the PS+ collection version comes with it.

*edit* Nah, it doesn't. That's ok, given the quality of the campaign I'll gladly pick up the expansion for $6 for another world of levels.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Amazingly underrated. They announced this game just a few months before it came out as a surprise ps4 holiday title. It was the first lbp sighting after littlebigplanet hub was announced then went MIA. The new characters were fantastic and the varied gameplay was unbelievable, but as mentioned it just was so incredibly short. I don't remember the characters name but platforming with the little dog creature was incredible. Super underrated game can't wait to run through it again since sackboy a big adventure has my girlfriend interested in the rest of the series.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
It was a buggy mess and had huge perf problems from what I remember. I really am enjoying Sackboy on PS5 though.

OP
OP
Bebpo

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Played through The Journey Home. The Swoop and Oddsock levels were good because Swoop is good and the spring jump for Oddsock was good. The Tonk level being mostly vehicle based and vehicle physics was ok.

The biggest problem with The Journey Home is that it starts to tread in the direction of Sackboy. Half of the 6 levels are locked behind co-op. So as a solo player for the $6 I got 3 levels and they introduce these new concepts like sackbot bombs and spring jump and use them for one level and that's all you get.

Just like the main campaign the game has lots of good/great ideas/abilities but yeah getting 1-2 levels to use them and that's it is a little disappointing. It's like a Mario game where they introduce a power up and only have 1 level that uses it in the entire game instead of having a few levels that get more complex//tougher using it.

Still, the game plays great for the most part. For the people that don't think LBP is a good platformer they should play the Oddsock spring jump level (or any other Oddsock level). It's a really good platformer.

The main game is still aces, but Journey Home is kind of ok. If you have a friend to play with and can play all 6 levels it's probably good (I watched a video of one and it looked fun), but otherwise it's pretty skippable give that it's only 3 stages in SP.

Also I tried the Pop it Academy where they are levels but feature building puzzles and the concept is great, but it leans too heavy in just being long tutorials vs. being challenging/interesting puzzle stages designed around building. I'd love to see that concept pushed more like The Incredible Machine where you have limited pieces and have to build solutions.

Finally, playing on PS5 I had no problem with the main campaign but the game crashed going back to the world map after the first stage of Journey home. When I tried to reload it the save was corrupted and I lost all my progress (just 1 stage luckily). I started over but I unplugged my internet since I think maybe it was something to do with the online to the LBP servers that crashed it. Was fine doing the 3 levels of Journey Home after that. Corrupt saves are the worst. Seems like everytime there is a software crash on a PS4 BC game with PS5 it just destroys your save file which is scary af. Thank god for cloud saves.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Never finished it. Though the multiple characters abilities wasn't fun and slowed everything in the game.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
I enjoyed what I played but excessive load times make it "impossible" to play.

I might try again on ps5. I have a young son now so if nothing else it is age appropriate for him. ...but I'm hoping the SSD can make the game feel playable too.

OP
OP
Bebpo

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I enjoyed what I played but excessive load times make it "impossible" to play.

I might try again on ps5. I have a young son now so if nothing else it is age appropriate for him. ...but I'm hoping the SSD can make the game feel playable too.

Yeah, the load times really bothered me on PS4.

On PS5 the load times are pretty short. Probably about 1/3rd the length. I started LBP3 on PS4 but ended up playing the 2nd half and the DLC on PS5 because the load times were so much better.