• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
The Life is Strange series is a series I've been wanting to play for a very long time as everything about it, the type of game it is, appeals to me and seems like something I'd really enjoy.
Back in 2016 I played the standalone episode 1 of the first game and really enjoyed it but never got the chance to continue past that.

I currently own Life is Strange and Before the Storm so those will be the games I'll be playing.

I'll be posting my live thoughts and impressions as I play and I'm looking forward to it!

tenor.gif

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The original and BTS are 2 of my favorite games ever. I go back to them so much, I should have them memorized by now.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I haven't yet played BtS or LiS2, but the first game is great.
After the first I never played another. Not sure how I would handle it. Especially Bts.

To clarify, I did enjoy it. Just was draining emotionally.
Please at least play Bts, I was the same way for a long time and don't get me wrong Bts wasn't exactly "not draining" but its well worth your time. 2 is also good but many people didn't seem to enjoy the characters as much which is fine but I'd say try that some day as well.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I started Life is Strange on Halloween Day 2015 and finished it on New Years Eve, mostly just playing on days off and weekends. It's proven to be an unforgettable experience, one I still think back on often with nothing but fondness.

Looking forward to following your journey, Queen. I'd join you if my plate wasn't so full.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
LiS1 and BTS really are quite remarkable games, stuck with me still after all this time. Been feeling a bit nostalgic for LiS1, might go back and replay it soon.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Very very very few games have made me feel like LiS 1.

That game has a certain magic it's just not found easily. I love it, and will love it forever, with all my heart

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I bought LiS2 but never got around to playing it. The first two games are nothing short of phenomenal, though.

JoeHisaishi

Banned
Jan 30, 2021
Phenomenal game. LIS1 is amazing. The prequel and sequel never quite hit the same mark. Though good and definitely should be played.

The first few episodes of just living life as Max and her teenage angst and issues was mesmerising. Such a small delicate world and yet so fleshed out. Spot on internal monologues. And an amazing soundtrack.

I wish I had Max as a friend growing up.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Very very very few games have made me feel like LiS 1.

That game has a certain magic it's just not found easily. I love it, and will love it forever, with all my heart

As a cynical 38 year old gamer, I can agree with this

As an atmosphere piece it really hit some sweet spots. Personally for me gameplay wise it's nothing special, but it's greater than the sum of its parts

Before the Storm was a fab companion piece. I tried with LiS2 but it just didn't strike a chord narratively and that with this type of game is literally everything

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Life is Strange was such a breath of fresh air, really loved it. Or I should say I do love the series, that love hasn't gone anywhere.
I bought LiS2 but never got around to playing it. The first two games are nothing short of phenomenal, though.
While it can take some time to adjust to the new characters and atmosphere, it's really good game. Also topical, I'd even dare to say important. With Mafia 3 it's probably the only "big" game that tackles real life racism seriously with some thought and it's integral theme of the game.

Last edited:

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LIS1 was such a lightning in a bottle game, to the point where it's a triumph when any other game in the series even gets close to it. It will always be a tough act to act to follow, and a benchmark fot that type of game for me.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the original, and even though it kind of fell apart at the end I loved every bit of it. A thoroughly lovely game.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I purchased LiS back when it was first released, but didn't play it until last year, all in a week. The game is currently in my top 10 of all time. A day or two after completing the first game I started and completed before the storm.

The prequel didn't reach the highs of the first game, but it was still great on its own, with the bonus episode being extra special based on my love for the first game.

i'm excited to experience the sequel. Regardless of my future opinion of it,
I still want more game content based on đŸ“· andđŸ¦‹.

Enjoy!​

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Personally I enjoyed Life is Strange 1, and Before the Storm a lot. Life Is Strange 2 is very disappointing at least to me.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
LiS1 is one of those games you get so immersed in and the atmosphere is off the charts and come out at the end feeling like it'll stick with you forever. Only started LiS2 a while back.
Adventure games like these are rare nowadays.

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
Played LiS back in 2015 and it changed my life. Currently playing LiS: Before the Storm and it's changing my life all over again, haha.

Love these games. Special and magical.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Check out Dontnod's Tell Me Why too, if you can. It deserves to be mentioned alongside the Life is Strange games.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely part of the 'problem' of those who loved the Max-Chloe Saga so much that they didn't give a LiS2 chance. Had it installed for months via GamePass and never thought twice about playing it. The tone, feel, even the overall art direction just wasn't what I wanted from a LiS. Nevermind the road trip/on the run premise was a major turn off, since part of the magic was being swallowed whole by a wonderfully lived in space like Arcadia Bay and really getting to unpack its places, people, and slice of life moments.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
LiS1 is great, I still hum the main menu theme sometimes. BtS was pretty cool as well. I still haven't played LiS2 or the Captain Spirit demo.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
LiS is extremely strong. It's really good. And it's the kind of game that starts of kind of hinting at some themes but then becomes much move obvious and risky about the story it wants to tell. It doesn't let up.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Season 1 is one of the definitive games of the 2010's imo. It captures that early 10's indie/hipster vibe so well. I think in the future it'll be a great piece of media to show people that want to get an idea of what living in those times was like.

Even the "cringy" dialogue doesn't feel that out of place.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for the long time since I last updated thread, work rarely likes to give me any breaks so I haven't been able to play much at all lately but I'm finally getting the chance to play it!

Just beat episode 1

- First things first is there are so many things to interact with I love it, I always need to explore and search every little thing so I spent a long time trying to not miss many things and talking to everyone.

- Really liking and identifying with Max quite a lot so far.

- The teacher Jefferson is phew... đŸ’¦

- I feel bad for Kate, don't know much about her yet outside her journal and story entries but she's the side character I'm most wanting to know more about.

- It's my current mission to ruin Chloe's Dad/Security Guards Life

- I really like the art style of the game, everything looks nice

- Nathan terrifies me and hopefully I get to put his butt in jail before the games done with

- Time travel aspect is really cool and enjoying it

- The Final Fantasy Spirits Within reference was great

- I don't like Victoria as she's mean and nasty but I've been nice to hear as it feels like it might be a cover for something and I want to know if there is more to her than that.

- Warren is a lovable dork so far.

- Chloe reminds me of a coworker, she's cool so far.

- I just realized today that Dontnod spelled backwards is Dontnod...

- The big tornado Max keeps having a vision of, is that why there's another game in the series called Before the Storm...

tenor.gif

For anyone curious about the choices I made during chapter 1 here's a couple screenshots of them;

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

I didn't know you could water the plant, rip.

On to Episode 2!

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 beaten! Phew this one was a doozy

- This was a very heavy chapter, especially the later parts of it.

- Somehow Nathan got even creepier and disgusting, ugh.

- I'm loving the dynamic between Max and Chloe, I definitely relate to Max more but Chloe is great and funny too.

- (^_^)

- NO EMOJI

- The city area was fun to explore, lots of neat side characters to talk to and listen to

- Too bad you can't eat all the desserts in the Diner...

- I was wrong, Victoria is just plain evil and has no redeeming inner qualities at all.

- I really hate the Principal, most of the school staff including Jefferson and David seem corrupt and hiding awful secrets, I don't trust the painter either..

- I loved all the scenes with Max and Chloe in the junkyard/train area, I accidentally shot got Chloe shot by telling her to shoot the bumper of the car and the bullet ricochet and hit her...

- I know I could easily rewind time at any point so there was no actual tension time wise but the entire time Chloe was stuck on the tracks and the incoming train I was stressed and anxious.

- Apparently I cut the right wire too first try, go red wire!

- I chose to shoot Frank but the gun had no bullets and he told me I'm going to regret it, I'm not looking forward to what might happen to me.

- If Max can get expelled or die in this game I certainly seemed to be choosing all the choices that just make her an even bigger target by those in power. It's not my fault they are all terrible and I have no second thoughts on telling them I think they are, especially Nathan.

- Phew the Kate stuff, that was really tough and hard to take and react to while it was happening. She's the side character I'm most invested in in the entire game and I'm glad I was able to talk her down from the roof, especially since I had no way to rewind if I did wrong. I made her my priority though throughout the game so far and if a choice ever gave me the option to help her or erase nasty messages on walls/places I did and I was observant enough when I explored her room to remember enough to talk her down thankfully.

Here are the choices I made during Episode 2;

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

I figured out how to water the plant this time!

On to Episode 3!

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Such a great game.

The prequel is called that because of that reason yea.

Kate jumped for me first time so you did a nice job. As you can see it's almost 50/50.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3 beaten!

- I loved the spooky and tense atmosphere at the start of the episode, I was genuinely spooked with the pitch black dorm corridors and creepy music. It felt like I was playing a horror game for a bit.

- I Enjoyed seeing the fireflies after leaving the dorms and the scenery was pretty

- It was fun to sneak into the school at night with Chloe, just like the dorm hallways it had a spooky atmosphere

- It genuinely took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to turn off the alarm, it didn't even occur to me to set off the alarm, hide out in the principals office and reverse time so that way Max was already in the office and thus never needing to blow up the door to begin with. Clever game.

- I made my first our of character choice, I decided to take the money. I felt more invested in helping out Chloe and I'm done with the Principal and corrupt school /bad girl mode activated

- I loved the pool swimming part, just another in a long string of touching and great moments between Max and Chloe

- The hide and seek with David in the pool area was fun, I enjoyed having to be stealthy,

- You better believe I called Chloe's bluff and kissed her when she dared Max to kiss her :P

- What is with Alyssa's awful luck with things trying to hit her, this is the 3rd time I saved her from getting hit with something...

- Nathan needs to get better "insult" nicknames for Max because his current insult game is weak

- I hate Frank but I want to know what sick person would throw the bone into the street that I assume would cause his dog to chase after it and get hurt or killed...

- The plot with Rachel thickens, dun... dun... dun...!

- Flashback sequence with young Max and Chloe :O

- No don't answer the phone!!!

- Yes! Removed the phone cord that'll save him

- Would the game really let me alter history and save Chloe's Dad? :O

- He has a cell phone noooooooooo!!! I don't think it's actually possible to save him

- Wait I can steal his keys, maybe there's still hope!!!

- OMG is it actually happening??? :O

- He'll never find it in the plant -smug face-

- Nooooooooooooooo!! He has a beeper for his keys and found them because of it fuck... I knew it was too good to be true... đŸ˜¢

- Wait! Maybe I can throw them in the fireplace

- Crap doesn't work...

- (Panicking as I think I'm out of options and going to give up)

- Wait the sink!

- !

- !!!

- OMG ITS HAPPENING!!!

- AHHH!!! I DID IT!

- Wait what?

- Why is Max friendly with Victoria, Nathan and everyone, ugh...

- Chloe, no! What happened to you...

- What have I done. I think I made a big mistake... Regret...

As usual here's the choices I made during Episode 3;

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

Gonna take a break from the game for tonight, will start back with Episode 4 another time. I'm feeling so many different emotions right now and I imagine it's only going to get even more so as I continue.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
really enjoying reading your thoughts and impressions

if you ever get a chance and the time to play the sequel, in addition to the original and bts, i definitely recommend you give it a shot

it's different but still very good. underrated game

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Don't forget to read the journal while you play. Max puts some things in there you wouldn't otherwise know about.

Knight

Jul 26, 2020
Italy
It's been great reading your impressions of the first 3 episodes (it was funny seeing you realizing Victoria is just evil, lol) and I'm glad you're enjoying the game! :)

LiS is hands down one of my favorite new IPs of last gen. And BtS is such a great game too!

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
That episode 3 ending when they opened the door to the house and what you saw made me feel the most guilty I've ever felt in a game before.

Sep 29, 2019
Might be quite late, but LiS has grown to be one of my favorite games of all time. Haven't played the second game yet, but both 1 and Before The Storm are amazing. LiS 1 actually made me cry (and still makes me cry to this day everytime i play it). I can't wait for LiS 3!

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
LiS2 is the best in the series, since you're starting fresh you're probably going to end up agreeing.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 beaten...

This Episode...

- God the early parts of this episode hit hard...

- I couldn't do it, I couldn't OD Chloe...

- I can't imagine how Max must feel knowing her only 2 choices are to stay in this alternate timeline where you saved your best friend's dad's life but lose your best friend in the process or go back and let your best friends father die all over again to save her life...

- It was awful to have to see Chloe suffer in that alternative timeline and I'm glad the game showed that experience but I'm just glad it seemingly isn't canon and the Chloe I love and spent most of the game with is back.

- Kate is the best side character in this game and after Max/Chloe my 3rd favorite character in the game overall, she's a precious cinnamon roll.

- I wasn't stopping Warren from giving the beat-down to Nathan, Warren got his payback from earlier in the game and that POS Nathan deserves it.

- I really enjoyed the various area's to explore in this episode, the most variety out of any episode.

- I enjoyed the detective work and problem solving this episode had you do.

- Frank's still an ass but he's not that bad I guess. Probably only because I stole the money and paid him off.

- Somehow Nathan just gets even more sick every little new thing we learn and see about him. That underground bunker and seeing those pictures/binders ugh...

- Rachel đŸ˜¢

- The voice work and acting of Chloe after Rachel's body was found was phenomenal. Ashly Burch deserves an award for it.

- I've never been to a club/rave but the End of the World party at least visually looked pretty nice and was a nice setup.

- I may not like Victoria but no way in hell was I not warning her about Nathan

- Of course she wins the photo contest /pretends to be shocked

- Things are getting serious, this junkyard at night is terrifying...

- Max noooo!!! She just got drugged, fuck you Nathan!!!

- CHLOE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

- No...

- No.......

- She can't be...

- She got shot in the head...

- WHATTTTTTT

- MR JEFFERSON YOU PIECE OF SHIT TRAITOR!!!!

339a5c84462eb5fc64ca908b60ed7655.gif

--------------

As usual here's the choices I made during Episode 4

lis40.jpg

lis41.jpg

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Please at least play Bts, I was the same way for a long time and don't get me wrong Bts wasn't exactly "not draining" but its well worth your time. 2 is also good but many people didn't seem to enjoy the characters as much which is fine but I'd say try that some day as well.

BTS is great except for that very last scene they add in that's an unnecessary gut punch and reminder of the sad fate for one of the characters.