• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think the main issue difficulty wise with the fights on standard has more to do with the fact that they require you to play with strategies the game doesn't really teach you on any difficulty except critical mode. At that point it's less about your level and more about the fact that you're essentially trying to learn how to play the game all over again, except you're being thrown into the deep end.
yeah that's definitely true, leveling just gives a bigger.

OP just said a boss where he only died once was the "right amount of difficulty" but he's sure to die more fighting the data bosses so I do recommend he levels as much as possible.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sigh, ok made it to twilight town with Riku in Recom... I'm on friendly around lvl 31 and have ~245 health and I'm bashing my head against the wall against the supercharged Clone Riku and go down to quick to use villain cards. Trying to decide whether to continue or call it quits on this one. This battle system is annoying but I've made it so far

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, ok made it to twilight town with Riku in Recom... I'm on friendly around lvl 31 and have ~245 health and I'm bashing my head against the wall against the supercharged Clone Riku and go down to quick to use villain cards. Trying to decide whether to continue or call it quits on this one. This battle system is annoying but I've made it so far
The trick for any humanoid boss as Riku is to spam duels.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well that doesn't sound encouraging. Especially the I should be level 99 bit. That difficulty was just right territory I wouldn't want it to get too much harder than that for the most part.

It's hard to reccomend then honestly. They are legit some of my favorite bosses in gaming period with clearly a lot of love in them in the form of references to the character themselves and utilizing the mechanics of the game proper, but they can be very difficult. I imagine they garner a pretty big shock from people coming in after stomping the main game on standard/proud.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easier said than done sadly, that's what I've been trying
During that fight the replica has 8 "4" cards, 8 "5" cards, and 7 "8" cards. Keeping a card of your own with one of those values close at hand greatly increases your odds of triggering a duel.

Always break his dark aura sleight with a zero card. In fact I'd go as far as reloading every time you use a zero card just to ensure you always have access to one.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
During that fight the replica has 8 "4" cards, 8 "5" cards, and 7 "8" cards. Keeping a card of your own with one of those values close at hand greatly increases your odds of triggering a duel.

Always break his dark aura sleight with a zero card. In fact I'd go as far as reloading every time you use a zero card just to ensure you always have access to one.
Just beat him actually! Took enough tries! Keep basically cheesing it XD shouldn't be much more left I hope

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well the torture is over, Recom is finished! KH2 is next... in a couple days that is, time to work on Yakuza 0. Need to pallete cleanse before the next.

Definitely glad to get the story info, but this game would have been way better as a pure turn base, too much timing and rng. Also Wonderland sucks and is the worst world just due to that stinkin boss

Mar 31, 2018
Well the torture is over, Recom is finished! KH2 is next... in a couple days that is, time to work on Yakuza 0. Need to pallete cleanse before the next.

Definitely glad to get the story info, but this game would have been way better as a pure turn base, too much timing and rng. Also Wonderland sucks and is the worst world just due to that stinkin boss

Mad respect for going through the whole of CoM. Oof! Onwards to fun KH stuff again after Yakuza 0!

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
ReCoM is weird since the game would be way more bearable to me if they didn't just try and kludge the card combat right into the Kingdom Hearts engine.

Basically it feels bizarre to have things like:

- You use a 9 combat card to hit someone, but the actual physical attack misses (because the enemy is flying around, camera is bad etc etc) so you're just sitting there, down a card and with no damage to show for it.
- Using an item requires you to go through the whole animation so an enemy can interrupt you from 30 yards away and all you can do is go "lol this is cool"
- Doing a high powered summon and repeatedly stunlocking an enemy, but you're still watching them be able to cycle through their deck and knowing if they hit a 0 your summon just gets cancelled instantly, even if it's only halfway through.

idk how vanilla CoM plays though. Is it more fun? Or does it just sort of prove that "real time card combat" is weird?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
ReCoM is weird since the game would be way more bearable to me if they didn't just try and kludge the card combat right into the Kingdom Hearts engine.

Basically it feels bizarre to have things like:

- You use a 9 combat card to hit someone, but the actual physical attack misses (because the enemy is flying around, camera is bad etc etc) so you're just sitting there, down a card and with no damage to show for it.
- Using an item requires you to go through the whole animation so an enemy can interrupt you from 30 yards away and all you can do is go "lol this is cool"
- Doing a high powered summon and repeatedly stunlocking an enemy, but you're still watching them be able to cycle through their deck and knowing if they hit a 0 your summon just gets cancelled instantly, even if it's only halfway through.

idk how vanilla CoM plays though. Is it more fun? Or does it just sort of prove that "real time card combat" is weird?
A smaller screen estate and it being 2D with everything visible at all times helped a lot, from what I remember. I've only played Traverse Town on Re:CoM, but the fight arenas seem way too big, solely so they can facilitate the fact you have a camera and 360 movement.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea decided today Id just watch the CoM cutscenes. I did beat the Sora section on GBA but this is really boring. It's a shame since I wanted all the PS4 themes but it quickly turned me off the series. Onwards to KH2 and the sleeper intro section!

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I've still been playing KH3. I've done every battlegate, got the required score in every minigame other than the black and white classic kingdom ones, every flan minigame, done all of Little Chefs recipes. For the Ultima Weapon I just need to go on a lucky emblem hunt.

I feel like the lucky emblem requirement for the Ultima Weapon could have been a bit more kind.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Having played both, it's clear CoM works best in its original GBA form. The pixel art's gorgeous and makes the reused levels feel less cheap bc they still had to be made from scratch AND... it was pretty cool getting to relive KH1 on a portable Nintendo console. Worlds and battlefields feel less empty too bc they're not as expansive and I swear it felt easier to land hits

It lacks some of the Re additions like Duels, the final boss's third phase, and certain cards, though. Also has a different translation, which some may prefer!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I now have the Ultima weapon in KH3. I am ready for the DLC that you all recommend I don't get.
OP's next post is gonna be like
IMG_20210119_150642.jpg

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Just to help out with timing, if you transform a keyblade and change to a different one, it actually pauses it's tick down while it's not in use, allowing you to keep it powerful until you need it for a big assault or it's special attack.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Just to help out with timing, if you transform a keyblade and change to a different one, it actually pauses it's tick down while it's not in use, allowing you to keep it powerful until you need it for a big assault or it's special attack.
Noticed that quite far in to the game but generally just stuck to using 1 keyblade at a time regardless. It's something to remember if I tackle the DLC.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I just like doing it so I can save up all the keyblade finishers for decimating encounters after taking one seriously : P

You do one and get them all charged, and then the next two are basically freebies

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok time to start KH2(I'll watch 365 after). Main beginners tip was choose shield in the second choice right? Anything else?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Ok time to start KH2(I'll watch 365 after). Main beginners tip was choose shield in the second choice right? Anything else?
Yeah, uh, if you aren't playing critical you shouldn't have much trouble until endgame, though I'd practice blocking and dodging a little before then if possible.

I'll spoil this so you can read it after the long and , in my opinion, personally affecting prologue.

try to level up the drive forms as you get them, at least enough to get the first level of their movement ability, which will then become an ability you can equip when you get it.

If you wanna power level them, just be aware that areas where characters from your party are just walking around, able to be talked to, reset the drive you're on so you get all your drive guage back, so you can then go back out and transform immediately. It'll make leveling the first three particularly fast in the right places.

You can also get this drive-guage refund from exiting a world from a savepoint while in a Drive Form, which is more likely gonna be how you do it since most of the "walkin' around points" are temporary or out of the way.

Leveling the Limit Form requires drive orbs, which you can get a lot of in the Land of Dragons, most noticeably the little clearing early on with the fireworks and carts, they'll drop drive orbs when beaten up in normal circumstances. Master is grinded by just running out the form guage, so every time it goes one number lower it levels up, meaning you can technically do the same thing, but most likely will wait until it goes low and then refund your guage. The first two are fairly obvious, and you'll probably find a good place to level them fairly quickly on your own as you get them.

Final Form isn't able to be gained until the last world, and even then after a random use of a form, and that's gonna be fairly obvious to level in the final world, or Twilight town by that point.

I hope this helps you out, I forgot about this and didn't realize how this could be a pain for others playing if they never touched the Drive Forms, and you only need to level them a little to get access to their stuff, but if you need advice to getting them maxed out, I hope this has been helpful!

Oh yeah, and make sure to set Donald and Goofy's healing through items and healing magic to "Emergencies" so they only use them when they are critically needed, very helpful and saves you items and donald's MP.

And try to be efficent with the new MP system, since Summons and Cure use the whole thing up, you can use normal spells until their names turn orange (that means when you use it, they'll empty the guage), and then use a summon or something so you get the most mileage out of your mp.

Good luck and have fun! Mention me if you need any tips or advice on anything, I'll try to be helpful.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Right, pick shield. Play on critical if you enjoy a good action rpg combat. Level up drive forms as soon as you get them, that's what opens up your movement options such as dodge roll and glide.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Recommending someone play KH2 on harder difficulties again lol

I really don't understand your continued stance that KH2 is easy. KH1 and 3 yes. KH2 good god no that endgame was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Mandos

KH2 standard is waaaaaaay too easy sadly, Proud isn't too hard but it's not a cakewalk like standard
Perfect then, I want a cakewalk. I have too much on my backlog and after recom friendly gave me so much trouble I'm not in the mood for banging my head against the wall. I have plenty of skill but some mild timing and rapid button press issues. And tons of other stuff on my backlog

Mar 31, 2018
Perfect then, I want a cakewalk. I have too much on my backlog and after recom friendly gave me so much trouble I'm not in the mood for banging my head against the wall. I have plenty of skill but some mild timing and rapid button press issues. And tons of other stuff on my backlog

KH2 on standard is exactly that, fun and easy ride. I did the same and I had a great time :)

KH1 was more difficult to me

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
on standard KH2 is generally considered easier than KH1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mandos

KH2 standard is waaaaaaay too easy sadly, Proud isn't too hard but it's not a cakewalk like standard
KH2 on standard is exactly that, fun and easy ride. I did the same and I had a great time :)

KH1 was more difficult to me
Insanity. I died more times in KH12's tutorial than the entirety of KH1 and 3 combined. And that's not even talking about KH2's endgame.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Insanity. I died more times in KH12's tutorial than the entirety of KH1 and 3 combined. And that's not even talking about KH2's endgame.
KH2 is widely considered to be an incredibly easy game even outside the fanbase. Even big sites like IGN docked points for it in their reviews. You couldn't go anywhere on the net back before Final Mix released with critical mode without hearing how the game was just mash X to win.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
KH2 is widely considered to be an incredibly easy game even outside the fanbase. Even big sites like IGN docked points for it in their reviews. You couldn't go anywhere on the net back before Final Mix released with critical mode without hearing how the game was just mash X to win.
It was mash x to win.......until the endgame. Then it asked a hell of a lot from the player and hadn't effectively taught you how to play. Like I genuinely had no idea how I was supposed to avoid attacks and fights against Roxas and the gun dude were insane. The gun dude in particular has a phase in his fight where you're stun locked to instant death, and the only reason I even beat that fight it because once I was lucky enough to win the fight before it got to that stun lock phase. The final boss was more reasonable but had that unintuitive QTE instant death bullshit which caused multiple deaths and frustration. KH2 not having any movement options whatsoever made the endgame extremely difficult and there was no teaching of how to defend.

God I fucking hated KH2. If that was my first KH game I'd have bailed so fast.

Oh and the tutorial boss was also insanely hard for a first boss. On Proud that was absolutely ridiculous. More reasonable when I lowered it to standard but even then I only just beat it.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It was mash x to win.......until the endgame. Then it asked a hell of a lot from the player and hadn't effectively taught you how to play. Like I genuinely had no idea how I was supposed to avoid attacks and fights against Roxas and the gun dude were insane. The gun dude in particular has a phase in his fight where you're stun locked to instant death, and the only reason I even beat that fight it because once I was lucky enough to win the fight before it got to that stun lock phase. The final boss was more reasonable but had that unintuitive QTE instant death bullshit which caused multiple deaths and frustration. KH2 not having any movement options whatsoever made the endgame extremely difficult and there was no teaching of how to defend.

Oh and the tutorial boss was also insanely hard for a first boss. On Proud that was absolutely ridiculous. More reasonable when I lowered it to standard but even then I only just beat it.

All of this is, of course, valid for your experience, but some of this is on you tbh. KH2 has plenty of movement options, you just didn't engage with the system that gives you those abilities. Yes, the way to get those abilities is convoluted and weird (and that is a major flaw they thankfully didn't repeat!), but they are there and you're meant to have them.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Except...KH2 does have movement options. Yes it's not exactly straightforward to unlock them (and thankfully they didn't do it again), but the game does have them.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah 3 is the easiest, then 2, then 1 is the hardest

This is true for standard difficulties for sure. Kh1 is notably the easiest when based on hardest difficulty available tho (and extra content). Including everything, the difficulty would probs more go:

3 tougher than 2 tougher than 1 funnily enough.

Last edited:

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Finished watching 358/2 days (mostly had it on in the background, but I got the big points) and have booted up Birth By Sleep.

358/2 days - It's alright. Glad I didn't have to play it, but I'll take some more backstory for Roxas. Axel's personality here didn't seem to match up with how he was in CoM/II, but II guess it's because he's among friends. I'm also guessing I haven't seen the last of Xion.

Birth By Sleep - I love this gameplay. The deck system feels so much more integrated into the combat than the commands/magic of previous games, and I like that the different forms are triggered automatically. It's a bit slow, and I still yearn for the spectacle of II, but this is very satisfying from a strategy pov. In many ways, it feels like a more natural evolution of the gameplay from the original KH than II did. Like there, I'm using every tool in my arsenal. If future games could combine this system with the visual spectacle of II, I would be very happy.

Too early to judge story or characters, but right now I'm not a fan of the structure. It appears I have to run through the game three times with different characters? That's fine in theory but it makes the worlds way too short. I feel like I'm just getting into a level and it's already over. I'm going through Terra first btw.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
KH2 was easy, but I think that was mostly because you could spam Reflega constantly.

Just waiting for OP to try the Secret Boss in KH3...

I'm not sure how punishing the KH3 DLC is on Standard, since I cleared the game on Critical and the DLC on Proud. But even then, clearing it took a ton of effort, although it's some of my favorite content in the series.