• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Are Battlegates the KH3 equivalent of KH2's data battles?

Also what's the point of my most recent unlocked keyblade? Its stats are shit.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Are Battlegates the KH3 equivalent of KH2's data battles?

Also what's the point of my most recent unlocked keyblade? Its stats are shit.

No. the battle gates are much easier and are more like colloseum battles with groups of enemies and stuff. the final battle gate has a super boss in it, but isnt nearly as tough relatively speaking.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I see.

I also see that the starlught keyblade isn't so shit stat wise once you upgrade it.
Most of the keyblade are pretty comparable stat wise once you get them upgraded, so you mostly will be basing it on forms which all have their own niches/playstyles.

Generally, Ultima is a few tiers above though besides certain niche strategies for certain bosses. (keyblade names) oblivion/oathkeeper are pretty handedly the second best though.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the keyblade are pretty comparable stat wise once you get them upgraded, so you mostly will be basing it on forms which all have their own niches/playstyles.

Generally, Ultima is a few tiers above though besides certain niche strategies for certain bosses. (keyblade names) oblivion/oathkeeper are pretty handedly the second best though.
Hmm. I've pretty much been moving on to the next keyblade every time I unlock a new one.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I've pretty much been moving on to the next keyblade every time I unlock a new one.

Yeah, this is the only KH where you don't need to do that really. Just pick one(or three) you like and upgrade and you're golden. Later ones come pre-upgraded which is pretty nice at least.

My first playthrough of kh3, I used kingdom key until the end for thematic reasons + liking second form, and it wasn't a detriment at all.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't understand this Riku stuff

In Chain of Memories, The organization created a replica of the evil Riku from KH1, this replica was obsessed with being the real Riku.

tc2vPF8.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Riku eventually defeated and sent the replica to the realm of darkness, but by this point the replica had accepted he was his own individual and developed a bond with Namine
hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_inline_pa7zdvedwo1sgvnig_1280.jpg

Riku acknowledges the replica's feelings and existence, and moves on to KH2

By KH3 The heart of the replica found and helped Riku in the realm of darkness and saved him from the heartless tornado. And it stays with him during the whole game
f407909341df26f83dd47581e958f65e.jpg

Xehanort summoned the past version of that same replica (Back when he was evil and obsessed with being the real Riku) to fight for his side, his imitation of Riku makes everyone think its the past version of Riku when he was evil, but in reality its the past version of the replica when it was evil.

In the end, the heart of the replica attacks its past version and janks his past heart from its replica body, sacrificing itself to give Namine's heart a body.

And yes I am 100% serious, that's the plot.

Much like the Replica of Riku, Xion is another experiment, this time an attempt to replicate Sora. She's one of the main characters from "KH" 358/2 Days"

The organization wanted a Keyblade wielding backup in case Roxas wasnt enough, Xion is a failed experiment, as she is just a puppet that starts absorbing Sora's memories from Roxas until it starts reflecting them, giving her an actual appereance like Kairi's (Sora's strongest Memories)

Xion is Organization XIII's 14th member and she spends quite a bit of time hanging out with Roxas and Axel during his 358 days in the Organization before he escapes, they become really close

Eventually Xion grows unstable and Roxas has to put her down....It sucked

maxresdefault.jpg

Since Xion was made of memories, erasing her meant everyone simply forgot she ever existed, her death is what pushes Roxas to finally leave the Organization and look for Sora, even if he can't quite remember why, his feelings of rage against them drive him to do it.

Xehanort found out about her in Vexens records, and decided to bring her from the past on his side would be a good way to fuck around with the heroes

Last edited:

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Who is Xion?

I was getting pumped for the reveal of who this would be and now I don't know who it is.

Important character in 358/2 days, and specifically very important character to roxas/axel.

who dies in that game

(it's been a while, so forgive me for some mistakes)
Original org 13 from com/kh2 wanted to have a keyblade wielder among their ranks and there was uncertainty if roxas would be able to do that. As a result Xion is a copy of sora basically who was made with the express purpose of wielding a keyblade.

She's made from the memories of sora I believe and it gets to a point where basically her and roxas can't exist simultaneously because she needs to essentially feed off his power to exist and wield the keyblade. They're ultimately pitted against one another in a final battle and roxas kills her. This sets off roxas rebelling against the organization.

There's also some things in there with Xion not actually existing, so they lose memories of her when she dies. This is a non issue in 3 when they bring her back from the past and stuff her into a replica though.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who is Xion?

I was getting pumped for the reveal of who this would be and now I don't know who it is.
Xion was the best friend of Roxas and Axel from 358 Days.

She was created by the organization so that they'd have a totally subservient keyblade wielder. However she develops as her own character and rebels against them. Near the end of the game Roxas is forced to kill her.

There's a lot more to it than that of course, but that's what you really need to know for KH3.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Wait so if she's made of memories and erasing her made people forget her then how do people here know who she is? Or does her existence now bring memories back?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Wait so if she's made of memories and erasing her made people forget her then how do people here know who she is? Or does her existence now bring memories back?
One of the main plot points in KH is that memories are tied to your heart and never really gone. Which is why amnesia is like the sniffles in this saga

Seeing her again awakened everyone's memories of her

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And now it's the best playing KH of them all. The only real knock against it Gameplay wise for me at this point is that the base game bosses aren't nearly as good as KH2's. Re:Mind segment helps that a lot though of course.
There's that, plus the fact that you need to beat the game to get the abilities that actually make basic keyblade combat when outside of a transformation fun.

If the DLC was better integrated into the base game with new bosses ala the absent silhouettes and Roxas foghts in 2FM and the new abilities being unlocked over the course of a playthrough then KH3 would likely be my favorite KH game. Alas, it's my second favorite..

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There's that, plus the fact that you need to beat the game to get the abilities that actually make basic keyblade combat when outside of a transformation fun.

If the DLC was better integrated into the base game with new bosses ala the absent silhouettes and Roxas foghts in 2FM and the new abilities being unlocked over the course of a playthrough then KH3 would likely be my favorite KH game. Alas, it's my second favorite..

Oh is that right? Does critical change when you get them?(or maybe ng+?) I've done three runs since remind released and I've had the new abilities from the beginning.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh is that right? Does critical change when you get them?(or maybe ng+?) I've done three runs since remind released and I've had the new abilities from the beginning.
Critical doesn't change it at all sadly. The new abilities added in the 1.07 patch that dropped the day before Remind are always post game/NG+. Same goes for Oathkeeper. Even after you photograph all the lucky emblems, you can't actually get it until after you beat the game on a fresh save file.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Critical doesn't change it at all sadly. The new abilities added in the 1.07 patch that dropped the day before Remind are always post game/NG+. Same goes for Oathkeeper. Even after you photograph all the lucky emblems, you can't actually get it until after you beat the game on a fresh save file.

Oh damn, that does suck. I'm surprised they'd lock something so important to beating the game.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Game finished. Definitely the easiest Kingdom Hearts game by far. Made it through the whole game without dying once, other than on the gummi ship and once in sea combat. I was very, very lost with the story in this game that endgame was all kinds of confusing. But that's alright.

I felt that the Disney worlds were by far the best, the gameplay itself was the most fun to play and well it's just the best in the series through and through, even if KH1 did have the best story to me. I wouldn't say KH3 has the best world selection, but the execution was the best. The world selection needed more older stuff I'd say. More variety of Disney eras represented.

Hoping there's some good post game content.

Also can I just say that not allowing you to change difficulty whenever you want is horseshit. Good chance I would have put the difficulty up a notch partway through there.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Game finished. Definitely the easiest Kingdom Hearts game by far. Made it through the whole game without dying once, other than on the gummi ship and once in sea combat. I was very, very lost with the story in this game that endgame was all kinds of confusing. But that's alright.

I felt that the Disney worlds were by far the best, the gameplay itself was the most fun to play and well it's just the best in the series through and through, even if KH1 did have the best story to me. I wouldn't say KH3 has the best world selection, but the execution was the best. The world selection needed more older stuff I'd say. More variety of Disney eras represented.

Hoping there's some good post game content.

Also can I just say that not allowing you to change difficulty whenever you want is horseshit. Good chance I would have put the difficulty up a notch partway through there.

The difficulty is pretty fucked in KH3. Even proud is super easy. You need to go to critical for a good difficulty, but it's an immense jump up unfortunately, so there's no real good middle ground.

Maybe proud with pro codes or critical with ez codes?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Because I don't think you'd enjoy the DLC at all OP, here's the god-tier Mickey moment from it if you want to watch:

It's like the MGS microwave hallway + a father/son kamehameha

Last edited:
OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
The difficulty is pretty fucked in KH3. Even proud is super easy. You need to go to critical for a good difficulty, but it's an immense jump up unfortunately, so there's no real good middle ground.

Maybe proud with pro codes or critical with ez codes?
If I start a new game with my completed save file do I keep all my stuff? If so that may balance the highest difficulty. Or does that lock me in to the difficulty of my first playthrough?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If I start a new game with my completed save file do I keep all my stuff? If so that may balance the highest difficulty.

I think the only thing you keep is keyblades(which are reset to lvl1) , you get new abilities when you beat the game that make base sora a treat to play that are also moved over.

You don't keep your levels and armors/accessories, etc though, so it's still quite challenging even if you go in swinging Ultima around.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I think the only thing you keep is keyblades(which are reset to lvl1) , you get new abilities when you beat the game that make base sora a treat to play that are also moved over.

You don't keep your levels and armors/accessories, etc though, so it's still quite challenging even if you go in swinging Ultima around.
Bleh. Don't fancy that. Long game don't wanna level everything up again and have to find everything again. If I could just go in as I am now and beeline the story I'd be down to replay it on a higher difficulty.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bleh. Don't fancy that. Long game don't wanna level everything up again and have to find everything again. If I could just go in as I am now and beeline the story I'd be down to replay it on a higher difficulty.
Understandable. Both NG+ and critical mode were added in a patch a few months after KH3 came out so people were ready for an excuse to dive back in. On the other hand it's not as appealing for someone that just beat the game.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
If I start a new game with my completed save file do I keep all my stuff? If so that may balance the highest difficulty. Or does that lock me in to the difficulty of my first playthrough?

You keep all your Keyblades.

Your abilities reset but you get the cool kids new abilities from the start.

You can also choose to start the game with EZ codes (make the game even easier modifiers) and PRO codes (make the game harder)

I think playing the game on Proud with the "Zero Defense" PRO code makes for a much better challenge without it being too hard

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
For KH4 they really need to allow you to change difficulty mid game. There's no reason not to. If you wanna lock certain achievements or whatever when difficulties are changed mid game fair enough. But let people change difficulty mid game. Locking them to 1 difficulty setting for such a long game is shit. Just shit.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For KH4 they really need to allow you to change difficulty mid game. There's no reason not to. If you wanna lock certain achievements or whatever when difficulties are changed mid game fair enough. But let people change difficulty mid game. Locking them to 1 difficulty setting for such a long game is shit. Just shit.
Difficulty in this series does more than change enemy attack and defense. Hopping between difficulties means changing your stats, locking/unlocking abilities, changing enemy AI, etc. Kinda hard to be able to adjust that on the fly.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Difficulty in this series does more than change enemy attack and defense. Hopping between difficulties means changing your stats, locking/unlocking abilities, changing enemy AI, etc. Kinda hard to be able to adjust that on the fly.
I don't see how any of that makes a difference. Just make the game have to reload the last checkpoint if you switch difficulty.

May 10, 2018
I don't see how any of that makes a difference. Just make the game have to reload the last checkpoint if you switch difficulty.
If I'm not mistaken there are certain abilities available only in critical mode. So if you're playing critical and then decide to switch the difficulty you wouldn't have access to those abilities anymore.

Anyways I'm going through a critical play through now with Ultima and turned on some codes except the kill everything in one hit. Those robots in Toy Box will KO your ass in one hit.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Oh no, I'm reading those latest posts and remembering all about my experience with 1.0 KH3. I'm 100% the fact that Proud Mode was such a cakewalk soured me to a good part of the game. Everything just died, it felt like combat had no loop to it.

It'd still be far from being on KH2's level of goodness, but better than what I thought it was for sure.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
the early parts of 3 on critical mode were pretty unbalanced tho. getting 1 shotted from across the map by an enemy you didn't even know was there was bullshit