• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always felt bad for using an attraction to beat a certain late boss in KH3 during my first playthrough. It (obviously) felt good not using that and beating them without it on Critical Mode.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I always felt bad for using an attraction to beat a certain late boss in KH3.

I forgive that one because it's fucking hilarious.

"Nice Boat Motherfucker"

But yeah, the only way to fix them is making them rare as fuck, so that they actually feel like a CHANCE, but no, they appear at the start of every battle and you have abilities to make them appear even more often.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I forgive that one because it's fucking hilarious.

"Nice Boat Motherfucker"

But yeah, the only way to fix them is making them rare as fuck, so that they actually feel like a CHANCE, but no, they appear at the start of every battle and you have abilities to make them appear even more often.

I love that boat prompt. It's so inappropriate, especially if you then get the loading message where it's Aqua crying posted by Sora, hashtags and all.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
So this Verum Rex game in the Toy Story world. I tried it once and got a B ranking and shitty junior medal reward. Is this worth playing/do you get worthwhile rewards for higher scores? I know there's an achievement attatched to it but I don't care about that.

Well despite not caring about it I got that achievement anyway lol. Wasn't that difficult.

Quite a fun minigame that.

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So this Verum Rex game in the Toy Story world. I tried it once and got a B ranking and shitty junior medal reward. Is this worth playing/do you get worthwhile rewards for higher scores? I know there's an achievement attatched to it but I don't care about that.

Well despite not caring about it I got that achievement anyway lol. Wasn't that difficult.

Nothing is tied to it besides the achievement.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

Nearly every minigame actually has some little optional ability as a reward for getting the best score ranking you can get for it.

Since you beat it, you got Focus Syphon, which gives you a special shotlock if you totally ran out of shotlock guage that absorbs focus from enemies to refill it.

I wouldn't know if it works well in practice because I never used it, but there are fun little things here and there, and the minigames are often a lot of fun to get better at and succeed with, so whatever : P

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Toy Story world. Another excellent world. Fun to play in, the robot gimmick was enjoyable, it was creative and the story of the world was quite good without relying on retreading the movies in any real way.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
See this is what I didn't feel with KH2. I don't just want to progress to the next thing. I want to go back to older stages. I want to explore some more. I want to do the photo missions I want to engage with the optional content.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Toy Story world. Another excellent world. Fun to play in, the robot gimmick was enjoyable, it was creative and the story of the world was quite good without relying on retreading the movies in any real way.
In regards to whether or not they retread the story, it largely has to do with the teams behind the films themselves. In regards to Toy Box, the Toy Story team at Pixar told the KH team to do their own story rather than retreading one of the Toy Story movies.

Pixar was actually very involved when it comes to the worlds based on their properties and I think it was a huge boon for the game. The Pixar worlds are some of the best in the game IMO.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't finished Monsters Inc yet but my opinions of it are very positive. Some really cool ideas and it captures the world really well. This game just doesn't seem to be putting a foot wrong.

I mean with that said I've completely zoned out of the overall story at this point. I don't understand and I don't care. And that's fine. When the big story scenes are happening and don't involve Disney characters it's just time to check my phone and stuff so it's all good.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't finished Monsters Inc yet but my opinions of it are very positive. Some really cool ideas and it captures the world really well. This game just doesn't seem to be putting a foot wrong.

I mean with that said I've completely zoned out of the overall story at this point. I don't understand and I don't care. And that's fine. When the big story scenes are happening and don't involve Disney characters it's just time to check my phone and stuff so it's all good.
Don't skip the final Monster's Inc cutscenes. It has some KH story stuff involved, but it's so good lol.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Honestly I think 99% of the people playing these games casually would enjoy themselves a lot more if they just don't sweat the particulars of the story. KH does theming and characters much better than it does unraveling these MGS-style convoluted storylines. And really, it never needs to be more complicated than "guys in black cloaks are up to no good, somebody stop them!" and then it's off to Disneyland, but it ends up being this huge mental block for people getting into them.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Finished Monsters Inc. Another excellent stage. Feel confident at this point saying this is by far the best KH game.

But yeah those cutscenes at the end were some serious nonsense to me. That's one thing KH1 will remain the best at. The story in KH1 was the most intriguing to me, I could make sense of it for the majority of it and it wasn't until the final hours that it jumped the shark. Best character designs in KH1 too.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sulley just throwing him into a bunch of doors and just shredding it is like the perfect solution to his anime monologues. More villains in KH needed to go out like that.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Sulley just throwing him into a bunch of doors and just shredding it is like the perfect solution to his anime monologues. More villains in KH needed to go out like that.
That was pretty good but nothing beats the verbal ass whooping that Woody gave. It was surreal to watch.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It fels shoehorned in just to close the book, so to speak. I doubt it will return in any future games.
You know what I've always thought should serve as the hub for a mini game world in the future?

51E8oSxhMuL._AC_.jpg

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Considering it's such a small area I figured I'd be able to find all the emblems in it really easily. This third one is proving elusive!

Also Moogle won't give me postcards anymore

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I've always thought should serve as the hub for a mini game world in the future?

51E8oSxhMuL._AC_.jpg
I've wanted that movie to be a world in KH for a very long time. It should be a fully fledged world though, not just mini games.

I do have to wonder if there's really a need for dedicated mini game worlds anymore If the Disney worlds all have at least one mini game in them going forward.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I find it interesting how modern the worlds in KH3 skew. The absolute oldest world so far is Toy Story, a mid 90s movie. I know Big Hero 6 is another world so that's another really recent one.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It definitely does skew heavily more modern and 3d animation in this one. But so has Disney's output since Kingdom hearts 2 released in 2005 lol
Yeah, of the KH3 worlds, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Tangled,
and Pirates 3
were all movies that only came out after KH2, which is kind of crazy to think about. Hercules is a KH staple, and Toy Story and Monsters Inc. are "we can do Pixar stuff now" flexes, also a new development since the release of KH2 (to the point where Woody and Buzz were supposed to be summons in KH2FM+, but scrapped - maybe they couldn't get the rights cleared in time?).

In hindsight it's odd to think about how KH1 was able to do a Tarzan world less than three years after its theatrical release, feels like the development time is such now that there's guaranteed to be a few years of lag between what movies get featured and what's come out more recently. I'm sure Zootopia and Moana are already on deck for KH4, and would have at least been considered for KH3 had they come out earlier.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Inspired by this thread (don't worry I'm not reading major spoilers, although I am aware of several plot developments already), I've decided to finally dive into the world of Kingdom Hearts myself. I just finished the first game a week ago and:
  • I was prepared for the Disney stuff and the cutesiness of it.
  • I was less prepared for how tacked on and unexplained the Final Fantasy element is. They're basically just weird cameos? How odd.
  • I was absolutely not prepared for the actual story of the games to riff hard on gnostic beliefs, meditations of existence and consciousness, and Jungian philosophy.
That's wild. That's what Kingdon Hearst is about? It's crazy, and seeing that stuff filtered through the prism of Disney wholesomeness is a whiplash I was not expecting.

I moved onto Chain of Memories but couldn't handle the gameplay shift, so I just watched a cutscene compilation instead. Looking forward to KH II!

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
  • I was absolutely not prepared for the actual story of the games to riff hard on gnostic beliefs, meditations of existence and consciousness, and Jungian philosophy.
That's wild. That's what Kingdon Hearst is about? It's crazy, and seeing that stuff filtered through the prism of Disney wholesomeness is a whiplash I was not expecting.

If you've just gotten through Chain of Memories... hoo boy, you're just getting started.

II and beyond go way harder into that territory.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
COM is one of KH's best plots in one of the most outdated gameplays.

It's so sad.

But the Multiple payoffs to COM stuff in III were insane lmao

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I am spending way too much time in the Gummi ship. This is so damn addictive.

Remember when I hated the Gummi ship?
KH3 has the worst gummi ship IMO. There's absolutely no reason to make your own and the only interesting fight is the super boss (and the optional boss in the first sector if you fight it as soon as you're able to).

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
KH3 has the worst gummi ship IMO. There's absolutely no reason to make your own and the only interesting fight is the super boss (and the optional boss in the first sector if you fight it as soon as you're able to).

There's no real reason to make your own in the other games either though, to be fair. I always just played with the default ships and never bothered customizing anything.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's no real reason to make your own in the other games either though, to be fair. I always just played with the default ships and never bothered customizing anything.
Just going through the games sure, but the optional missions on each route were designed to make you interact with the ship builder.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
There being no reason to make your own is a plus to me. That doesn't interest me even a little bit. KH3 gummi ship has the most engaging gameplay with its playful focus in the open world.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Wow I am spending way too much time in the Gummi ship. This is so damn addictive.

Remember when I hated the Gummi ship?
I also found the Gummi ship sections in KH3 to be more enjoyable than in previous games.

One silly issue I still have with them is that I would like to see the Gummi ship better integrated with the actual game. Something like Jet Force Gemini, let me see the characters entering the worlds with the ship, landing it, fixing or retrieving it etc. I think KH3 did well by giving us some scenes inside the ship, and I also find it cool when something goes wrong in 'space' like Monstro in KH1 or the Stich world in BBS, but I am still not satisfied lol

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I also found the Gummi ship sections in KH3 to be more enjoyable than in previous games.

One silly issue I still have with them is that I would like to see the Gummi ship better integrated with the actual game. Something like Jet Force Gemini, let me see the characters entering the worlds with the ship, landing it, fixing or retrieving it etc.

Like in Ratchet and Clank when you land on a planet and it shows a little (skippable) scene of Ratchet and Clank landing and then getting out of their ship. The first few seconds of the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAZX_0RVtF4

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Like in Ratchet and Clank when you land on a planet and it shows a little (skippable) scene of Ratchet and Clank landing and then getting out of their ship. The first few seconds of the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAZX_0RVtF4
Exactly! I would love to see this in KH, these details always help with immersion. (Ratchet and Clank is one of these series that I would certainly enjoy, but never played a single game)

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly! I would love to see this in KH, these details always help with immersion. (Ratchet and Clank is one of these series that I would certainly enjoy, but never played a single game)

It would really help with making the Gummi Ship feel more integrated into the world of KH, for sure!