• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I've been reading this thread the last couple of days, OP.

Like you, I decided to start the series recently. But I did it before KHIII came out. In fact, I was playing II while most people were playing III. Unlike you OP, I don't care about Disney stuff... nor FF... I'm in because of the KH original stuff, lol.

Anyways, have fun.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
ROFL

KH3 is actually KH5 tbh.
CoM isn't that important imo, but BBS and DDD are essential to the main plot. You should really watch a youtube recap or something if you don't want to be completely lost with the story.

I think he's having enough fun with just the Disney stuff. KH3 does a really poor job of mixing the story with Disney despite having some of the best moments of Disney characters interacting with original KH characters. He'll be fine until the end.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think he's having enough fun with just the Disney stuff. KH3 does a really poor job of mixing the story with Disney despite having some of the best moments of Disney characters interacting with original KH characters. He'll be fine until the end.

OP at the end be like
tumblr_n6ezy36DnC1qig535o1_500.gif

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is what I couldn't stand about KH3. The ridiculous dialogue and brain dead gameplay was always there, but the Disney stuff always felt baked in. Chernabog was the penultimate boss of KH1 for God's sake.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Maybe it's just me but the Disney stuff felt way more substantial to me in KH3 than any of the other games since KH1.

I actually have to disagree with a take from earlier in the thread on this - 0.2 being split off into its own prologue thing was a good decision because it lets KH3 immediately plop you into Hercules World. I think longtime fans tend to underestimate how much of a sell the "interact with all your favorite Disney characters!" hook actually is, and even though there's plenty I now appreciate about KH1 and 2's drawn-out prologues, KH3 makes a way better first impression, it's like seeing Itchy and Scratchy finally reach the fireworks factory.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Rapunzel just left her tower and it doesn't feel right for her not to be singing. So I did the singing for her.

Lack of singing aside oh my god this is Tangled

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Tangled world is incredible. Captures the movie so well and Rapunzel is just so happy all the time it's so sweet. I just unlocked the super jump and that is going to open gameplay up even more I love it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Rapunzel just left her tower and it doesn't feel right for her not to be singing. So I did the singing for her.

Lack of singing aside oh my god this is Tangled
Tangled world is incredible. Captures the movie so well and Rapunzel is just so happy all the time it's so sweet. I just unlocked the super jump and that is going to open gameplay up even more I love it.
The Tangled world is one of the highlights of KH3 for me. Yes, a lot of it creates the movie beat-for-beat, which a lot of the KH2 worlds tried to do (and I hated it), but where the tech wasn't there in 2005, it definitely is now.

Don't know how far into the world you are now, but there were several scenes that blew me away with how precise they were to the movie, both in terms of accuracy and the emotional stakes, even with Alan Menken's amazing OST being swapped out for more generic tracks (which, as far as I can tell, were composed specifically for the world).

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Maybe it's just me but the Disney stuff felt way more substantial to me in KH3 than any of the other games since KH1.

I actually have to disagree with a take from earlier in the thread on this - 0.2 being split off into its own prologue thing was a good decision because it lets KH3 immediately plop you into Hercules World. I think longtime fans tend to underestimate how much of a sell the "interact with all your favorite Disney characters!" hook actually is, and even though there's plenty I now appreciate about KH1 and 2's drawn-out prologues, KH3 makes a way better first impression, it's like seeing Itchy and Scratchy finally reach the fireworks factory.

Oh, don't get me wrong: KH3 is the only game that comes close to the Disney magic of the first Kingdom Hearts. However, the first game had moments like:

Triton knowing exactly what Sora and keyblades were. (One of my personal favorite moments in the series and a shame this wasn't brought up again with Zeus in KH3.)

Beast loving Belle so much that he survived his world and made it to Hollow Bastion, where he fights for Sora since Donald and Goofy have left with Riku.

The Princesses (and Alice lmao) in the same room.

In general, I find Hollow Bastion the peak of the series. It perfectly melded the Disney, Catholic, Gnostic, and Final Fantasy influences into one cohesive world that still looks stunning today.

Kingdom Hearts 3 finally understood the Disney charm again, which is why it's moments of lightness and joy are so good. Sully vs. Vanitas is my favorite moment in the entire series. But as far as making it feel relevant to the climax, which Hollow Bastion effortlessly accomplished, it just felt separate.

The one possible exception likely being Pirates, as the ship Sora rides has so much Scala imagery that's not actually touched on in the finale that I can't wait to see. Replaying that section shows so much weirdness about where the ship came from commented on by Crab Jack. I have pictures I'll pull up when not on a lunch break lol.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
The Tangled world is one of the highlights of KH3 for me. Yes, a lot of it creates the movie beat-for-beat, which a lot of the KH2 worlds tried to do (and I hated it), but where the tech wasn't there in 2005, it definitely is now.

Don't know how far into the world you are now, but there were several scenes that blew me away with how precise they were to the movie, both in terms of accuracy and the emotional stakes, even with Alan Menken's amazing OST being swapped out for more generic tracks (which, as far as I can tell, were composed specifically for the world).

Dancing with Sora is one of the best moments in the game. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The Tangled world made me really really want a videogame using UE4 based on the animated series. I wish they'd license their non Marvel IP to well liked devs.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I was super impressed how accurate so much of it is, and how good the delivery has been. See that's something about both of the first two games. Beats from the original movies are there, but they often felt cheaply delivered. Kingdom Hearts 3 has stepped that up big time and Tangled is an ultimate example of that.

I'm up to the Festival at the moment. I'm really hoping the lantern scene delivers the right feels when I get to it. Though without I See The Light I doubt it quite will.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I like most of Corona is the opening segments right after Rapunzel leaves the tower. It makes for a nice parallel to Sora way back at the start of KH1 who had the wonder ripped away from him by being thrust into the battle against the heartless, so it's nice to see him get to make sure Rapunzel gets the experience he should have had leaving Destiny Islands. It's even translated wonderfully into gameplay.

The rest of the world story wise isn't very good IMO due to it bing such a dull retelling and Marluxia not having much of a presence. The combat encounters make up for it though, and I'd argue the boss of the world is the best boss from all the Disney worlds.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
SLAM. FUCKING. DUNK.

Without question that is by far my favourite world in the series. Absolutely nailed Tangled. I am so happy. I stood up and applauded that. Wow.

Mar 31, 2018
Also by far the best looking world in the game, in my opinion. It really is perfect indeed. From the visuals to the music to the almost recreation of movie scenes (minus the songs, but I didn't even feel like I missed them)

I can think of just one really bad world in KH3 actually, it's pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Hey OP Do you like the fact that Rapunzel

Inherited the power of the princesses of heart?

That's like the ultimate badge of honor for a princess in KH

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hey OP Do you like the fact that Rapunzel

Inherited the power of the princesses of heart?

That's like the ultimate badge of honor for a princess in KH

I forget, did they do anything with the whole New Princesses thing? I recall absolutely nothing being done with it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really like Tangled world tbh. The whole 'you need to have seen Tangled for this nutshelled version to make sense' coupled with KH nonsense with Marluxia (who should've been more involved) made it suck for me.
The dance was cool though.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Also by far the best looking world in the game, in my opinion. It really is perfect indeed. From the visuals to the music to the almost recreation of movie scenes (minus the songs, but I didn't even feel like I missed them)

I can think of just one really bad world in KH3 actually, it's pretty impressive.
I See the Light would have made the lantern scene perfect. I do wish at least that would have made it but even without it they did an excellent job with that scene.

The scene where she gets her hair cut and she's singing/crying to heal Flynn with her tears was my favourite remade scene. They nailed that. Had all the right feels it was delivered so well.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't really like Tangled world tbh. The whole 'you need to have seen Tangled for this nutshelled version to make sense' coupled with KH nonsense with Marluxia (who should've been more involved) made it suck for me.
The dance was cool though.
You need to have seen Tangled regardless. Forget about KH. If you haven't watched Tangled just go watch Tangled. Best Disney movie of the decade for me.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Ended up going back to Olympus to explore a bit more, do some photo missions and do the mickey photos I couldn't do before. Was a good opportunity to test out my Tangled keyblade as well and I love it. Also I found it cool that there was a new minigame available in the world on the revisit and decent reward for it. Wonder if there's something similar in Tangled now.

Toy Story next that should be great.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The moment when you step outside Andy's house was the moment I knew KH3 had the best Disney worlds in the franchise

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up going back to Olympus to explore a bit more, do some photo missions and do the mickey photos I couldn't do before. Was a good opportunity to test out my Tangled keyblade as well and I love it. Also I found it cool that there was a new minigame available in the world on the revisit and decent reward for it. Wonder if there's something similar in Tangled now.

Toy Story next that should be great.
There is. Every Disney world has one of those flan mini games to find.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
I finished KH1FM and the colliseum (but not the other optional bosses) on proud difficulty. Sometimes it was a good challenge but sometimes it was annoyingly hard and I solved it by grinding.

Next game is KH Re:Chain of Memories. Is it worth playing on proud difficulty or should I choose an easier difficulty?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I finished KH1FM and the colliseum (but not the other optional bosses) on proud difficulty. Sometimes it was a good challenge but sometimes it was annoyingly hard and I solved it by grinding.

Next game is KH Re:Chain of Memories. Is it worth playing on proud difficulty or should I choose an easier difficulty?
Did the same. Decided I don't want to have to waste time on recom so I just went easy though.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

RE:Com doesn't have any optional content so if that's the concern you'd be able to experience everything on proud without grinding.

Honestly the difference between standard and proud is pretty negligible in Re:CoM. Once you get sonic blade that's pretty much all you're going to be using regardless of difficulty until the late game when you get access to lethal frame, at which point that pretty much becomes all that you use.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019

Just play Re:CoM on easy or standard difficulty. It is worth playing for the story (you will have to play the game 'twice' for seeing everything), but the mechanics are kind of annoying (the GBA title was better in this sense). After that my suggestions would be: KH2FM on critical, BBS on proud, DDD on standard and KH3 on critical.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I'd just like to say that I really like the mickey symbol photos as collectibles. There's always a good feeling when you spot one and often an aha feeling on the more clever ones that are shaped from actual objects or things in the world. Just asks some observation from the player and I find it to be a satisfying form of collectible.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd just like to say that I really like the mickey symbol photos as collectibles. There's always a good feeling when you spot one and often an aha feeling on the more clever ones that are shaped from actual objects or things in the world. Just asks some observation from the player and I find it to be a satisfying form of collectible.
Easily the best collectible since the puppies in KH1. They're fun to find, have Disney spirit all over them, and you get consistently rewarded with good stuff.

The only thing I would change is maybe giving you a lucky emblem detector in the post game (something that would make a small sound when you got close to one) to help you go back and find any that you missed.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Easily the best collectible since the puppies in KH1. They're fun to find, have Disney spirit all over them, and you get consistently rewarded with good stuff.

The only thing I would change is maybe giving you a lucky emblem detector in the post game (something that would make a small sound when you got close to one) to help you go back and find any that you missed.
You do sometimes have Goofy say something when there's an emblem nearby so at least there's that. On a few occasions I haven't spotted anything then do a double take after hearing Goofy say there's an emblem.

Mar 31, 2018
I actually almost never could find any when Goofy or Donald said something about them, haha. I just found most of them by accident or scouting. Once they mentioned it I went looking and looking and looking and often missed them :P

It's a really fun and rewarding thing to do. Some are pretty clever too

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Nope,it was set up, we only got to know 3 of the new ones
Rapunzel
Anna
Elsa

And Kairi is still one, so we're missing three
Moana, Merida and Vanellope, book it. Not 100% on the last one.
The moment when you step outside Andy's house was the moment I knew KH3 had the best Disney worlds in the franchise
One of the Hidden Mickeys being on the bumper of a car with an A113 license plate was a chef's kiss moment. So much TLC put into these games.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Easy, it's a remake of a GBA with a very stale battle system.

Breeze through it and enjoy one of the better KH plots though, one that is absolutely necessary to fully get II and beyond

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I hope Tiana is on the list. So much potential with a swamp / New Orleans level, maybe even frog form (for a part of it?) like Simba's land. I actually bought in to some rumors of Princess and The Frog being in KH3 but obv that didn't happen.

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico

I would think that Merida is the most doubtful from those three, not Vanellope. While Moana is a clear choice, specially considering that the movie is basically a KH story with hearts and darkness. So she is a case of when, not of if. Meanwhile, Vanellope would solidify the whole "data heart" thing from the Big Hero 6 world, by making the owner of such a heart one of the seven Princesses. While Merida is just not that fitting, if anything Tiana and the whole Princess and the Frog schematic fit better to the overall story. Dr. Facilier and his friends on the other side could be linked to the "fictional world" similar to how the Fairy Godmother was in MoM.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I hope Tiana is on the list. So much potential with a swamp / New Orleans level, maybe even frog form (for a part of it?) like Simba's land. I actually bought in to some rumors of Princess and The Frog being in KH3 but obv that didn't happen.
I would think that Merida is the most doubtful from those three, not Vanellope. While Moana is a clear choice, specially considering that the movie is basically a KH story with hearts and darkness. So she is a case of when, not of if. Meanwhile, Vanellope would solidify the whole "data heart" thing from the Big Hero 6 world, by making the owner of such a heart one of the seven Princesses. While Merida is just not that fitting, if anything Tiana and the whole Princess and the Frog schematic fit better to the overall story. Dr. Facilier and his friends on the other side could be linked to the "fictional world" similar to how the Fairy Godmother was in MoM.
Gotdamn, I totally forgot about Tiana. One of my favorite Disney princesses, too.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Tangled's the best of the Disney worlds which are retellings of the original story, by far. The looks, the music, hanging out and dancing with Rapunzel, the size of the world, they went all out to make it as authentic as possible.

It also took some steps towards addressing a major problem I've had with the series since 2: how few Disney bosses there are. You're still fighting a Heartless at the end of the world, but it's stated in no uncertain terms that the Grim Guardianess is Mother Gothel transformed and they bothered giving it her hairstyle and even some of her personality in its attacks based on restricting your actions and imprisoning you.

Having the Disney villain BECOME the Heartless instead of just summoning one is a great work-around for how you give someone like Gothel or Frollo a boss fight without BSing a bunch of magic powers and it's a shame it took this long for the series to embrace this approach. chi gave us Heartless forms of The Wicked Witch, Lady Tremaine, and Gaston which I wish we could've fought in traditional KH combat.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing through KH3 to clean up collectibles and optional content while this thread was ongoing. I've been inspired and decided to get the Story So Far collection. Will probably slowly chip away at each entry over the next year or so, but looking forward to experiencing the Final Mix versions and BBS for the first time.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Did you know Hidden Mickeys are actually from Disney World? It's a real thing you can participate in with the parks, taking photos of all the locations for a little prize.

The level of "Themepark" focus in Kh3 really does it some favours in presentation and content, there is a lot besides Atractions that inform decisions regarding Kh3's gameplay and world design, and all for the better.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Attractions were sadly poorly executed, they appear way too often and trivialize the combat because they're so strong.

When the Critical patch and Remind patch were celebrated for giving options to disable them, you know they screwed up

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Attractions were sadly poorly executed, they appear way too often and trivialize the combat because they're so strong.

When the Critical patch and Remind patch were celebrated for giving options to disable them, you know they screwed up
I wish they'd stuck to using them purely for boss setpieces (like the awesome Rock Titan bit), but that may have felt too random.