• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I like your simple answers. I will trust you.
If you ever replay the first KH games (the other ones aside from the numbered ones don't pit as much on these choices if they exist), the shield is always the one you want for ability stuff, because it gives you the passive ability that keeps you above 1 hp when nearly killed faster.

Critical mode in KH2 gives you it and many other useful abilities straight out the gate, part of what makes the game more fun and why people suggested it.

As you play KH3, it'll be a lot easier to play then KH2 because it's mechanics are easier to grasp and enjoy in practice.

Also, you're gonna be playing the better version of KH3 since they added a badass ability or few that makes the normal combos way more dynamic and fun to use then they were originally.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Realized I may as well ask since if recom doesn't grab me quick I'll skip it(my tolerance level is high though). Any beginning of the game tips for 2? Went sword then shield on 1 and I have a feeling it made things harder

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Realized I may as well ask since if recom doesn't grab me quick I'll skip it(my tolerance level is high though). Any beginning of the game tips for 2? Went sword then shield on 1 and I have a feeling it made things harder
For KH2 there's two choices. The first one doesn't matter at all (it just determines which of three stats get a single point boost at the start, but for the second choice you should pick shield.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed 1 and 3 and absolutely hated 2 as well.

They really went all out with the Disney worlds in 3, the work they put into PotC is nuts.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have two choices in 2, the first choice doesn't really matter all that much but the second one does since it influences the order of abilities you get as you level up.

I highly recommend shield, because with shield you get Once More and Second Chance quicker.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Not wasting any time with Disney. KH3 making the right moves so far.

Just wish during that Hercules intro the Muses would have interrupted the narrator. At some point the Muses have to be in the Hercules world of a Kingdom Hearts game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not wasting any time with Disney. KH3 making the right moves so far.

Just wish during that Hercules intro the Muses would have interrupted the narrator. At some point the Muses have to be in the Hercules world of a Kingdom Hearts game.
That's mainly cause they cut out the prologue and bundled it into the HD rerelease of Dream Drop Distance.

Honestly I think it was the wrong move and would have much rather 0.2 been a part of KH3.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
That's mainly cause they cut out the prologue and bundled it into the HD rerelease of Dream Drop Distance.

Honestly I think it was the wrong move and would have much rather 0.2 been a part of KH3.
It was a demo. A vertical slice similar to Ground Zeroes. They do that kind of thing to help develop the vision for the main game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

people will disagree with you but it absolutely felt like the KH2 Roxas prologue equivalent for KH3 to me.

Even with the same payoff how you fight Roxas near the end of the game and he gets his resolution, same for Aqua.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

I like Kingdom Hearts II.9, it gets you familiar with Kingdom Hearts III combat and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Though if you wish happened, we would have likely gotten Hayden back as Kairi.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Question about buying things in KH3. There was a small comment earlier than if I spend enough regularly good things will happen. Do I want to be buying things I don't actually need just so that I'm buying things? Or did that not actually mean anything?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Question about buying things in KH3. There was a small comment earlier than if I spend enough regularly good things will happen. Do I want to be buying things I don't actually need just so that I'm buying things? Or did that not actually mean anything?
It's more like you get a special item every time you exit a shop after having bought literally one thing at least, and you exchange that for a random prize in Twilight town.

The prizes aren't that big a deal, and you aren't interested in doing anything endgamey like making the ultima weapon, so don't worry about it.

You would get a chance to get a special one-time item from it that would be needed to make that, but it has such a high chance of being gained that you would most likely get it and then forget you got it from there anyway.

If you wanna game it for items, just buy like one super cheap ingredient and then exit the shop over and over and you'll quickly get a bunch to trade in for something, otherwise don't worry or bother.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You get postacards after buying things that you can mail in the second world. You can get some nice accessories from early on, but it's RNG.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Judging from your KH2 impressions, if you continue on with the series for the story, just play them all on the easiest difficulty. It doesn't seem like you care to put the time in to learn mechanics and interact with the RPG elements, and each new entry is going to have its own little things that you're likely not going to care for, so just save yourself the trouble and make it easier on yourself.

Edit: I see you skipped the other games and went straight to 3. Enjoy the more modern gameplay.... good luck with the plot lmao.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
KH3 is incredible so far. Everything just FEELS right.

Yeah even though I think KH2 is incredible there a lot of things that feel dated especially after touching KH3. Dodging, blocking, and using items in the air is fantastic and the game rewards more defensive/counterplay once you unlock counter attacks a couple of worlds in.

That and the world lineup in 3 is pretty strong.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Combat is so fast and fluid. The way your movement, magic, attacks and flashy shit all just ties together it feels so good.

Then there's the exploration and traversal. It all feels so rewarding. And the game is gorgeous!

Fuck me what a turnaround.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Combat is so fast and fluid. The way your movement, magic, attacks and flashy shit all just ties together it feels so good.

Then there's the exploration and traversal. It all feels so rewarding. And the game is gorgeous!

Fuck me what a turnaround.
Yeah if this is how you feel about the game right now I think you will end up loving it. Though the finale is quite long and lacks Disney stuff so I'm not sure about how you'll take that.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
KH3 combat gets more rewarding and flashy the more keyblades you acquire too. Definitely cycle through weapons as you get them.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Alright I need to stop now or I'll be playing it all night. I've got a very big smile on my face right now. I am so excited to dive more in to this game. Game keeps this up and this will easily be my favourite KH game.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
For world lineup, I know that KH3 has Frozen and Big Hero 6 but that's all I know. Very excited to see Big Hero 6 when it comes up. Baymax! Hope he's implemented well.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I need to stop now or I'll be playing it all night. I've got a very big smile on my face right now. I am so excited to dive more in to this game. Game keeps this up and this will easily be my favourite KH game.

Yeah, the levels are a lot bigger with more platforming and verticality. You'll end up getting Airstep by the end of Olympus which just let's you warp to enemies and objects and it really adds to both combat and traversal especially across large areas.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
For world lineup, I know that KH3 has Frozen and Big Hero 6 but that's all I know. Very excited to see Big Hero 6 when it comes up. Baymax! Hope he's implemented well.
I think you will quite enjoy BH6 world, it is very unique in the series and gives a nice playground for the transverse mechanics. Now, when it comes to Frozen... have your expectations really low

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
This thread is making me want to restart the series. I've played 1 3 times and only beat 2 once. I got half way through 2 a few years ago then got pulled away for some reason. Chain of memories was fun on game boy sp. I'd probably jump in at 2 and go from there and play the others I've missed.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought the Frozen level was one of the better designed ones tbh. Big Hero 6 on the other hand is just a big mostly empty sandbox.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The best world in KH3 is a returning world anyways.

The glow up is INSANE.

Also it is worth noting that OP is playing the Re Mind patch version of KH3, so stuff like locking enemies behind you and dodge/block cancelling finishers are added to his experience, which should be making a hell of a first inpression, unlike release KH3

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I think you will quite enjoy BH6 world, it is very unique in the series and gives a nice playground for the transverse mechanics. Now, when it comes to Frozen... have your expectations really low
I'm not the biggest fan of Frozen anyway to be honest. I consider it to be quite overrated. As far as the big Disney releases of the past decade go, Frozen isn't one of my favoirites. Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Big Hero 6, Moana. These are all movies I rate above Frozen.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Alright, make that 3 worlds I know of in KH3!

I wasn't even viewing a KH thread to be spoiled this time!

But to be honest I expected this one anyway. Look forward to seeing Tangled.

Side note: Tangled was so damn good. I See The Light is one of my all time favourite Disney sequences. The feels every time.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Alright, make that 3 worlds I know of in KH3!

I wasn't even viewing a KH thread to be spoiled this time!

But to be honest I expected this one anyway. Look forward to seeing Tangled.

Side note: Tangled was so damn good. I See The Light is one of my all time favourite Disney sequences. The feels every time.

Tangled world is one of my absolute favorites. It's basically non-stop joy. I'm so happy you're enjoying KH3. To me it's the true realization of Disney Worlds that the first KH teased. So much of that goes to Dream Drop Distance, but I don't think you have that in your collection if it ends with Re:coded. If you ever want to play another game in the series I *highly* recommend it. The story is the worst it ever gets, but the Disney Worlds are fun and kinetic. KH3 is like the actualization of that design. I'm keeping my mouth shut on most of the worlds, but there's so much to explore and enjoy. The first game is still king as far as mixing overarching plot and Disney, but since that won't be a problem for you, I think the game will be smooth sailing.

I will say KH2 has combat as fun as 3, however so much is tied to leveling drive forms which takes stupid amounts of grinding and knowing what actually gives each drive experience, since they all have different requirements. If I didn't replay with a guide I would not have had the fun time I ultimately did, so I don't think it's worth it for you.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Just the world's having NPCs, even if for the most part they're props, goes along way to improving the world's. No more empty stadiums exploding with applause.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Hey look at this, this thread went from fun, to kind-of-a-bummer, back to even more fun. Glad you're loving KH3, I think skipping to it was the right call. Just prepare to be even more baffled than usual at the original story stuff (almost all of which is stuffed into the last 4-5 hours or so). There are going to be some lengthy, melodramatic payoffs to character arcs 10+ years in the making that you have probably never heard of since you skipped so much.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The game mentions it very briefly OP, and many miss this.

You can use your left trigger (L2 on PS) to cycle between situation commands.

That way you can avoid accidentally using an Attraction instead of a Transformation or Higher Magic Spell.

Also, OPs love of 3's systems validates Nomura experimenting with BBS and DDD, shoving the systems (Flowmotion, Shotlock, Command Deck) of those games on top of the KHII basic system was great for me

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Yeah even though I think KH2 is incredible there a lot of things that feel dated especially after touching KH3. Dodging, blocking, and using items in the air is fantastic and the game rewards more defensive/counterplay once you unlock counter attacks a couple of worlds in.

That and the world lineup in 3 is pretty strong.

KZ, just wanted to take the opportunity to say that I loved your commentary for the Kingdom Hearts Gamer Premonitions, keep up the good work.

You're in for a treat, Kingdom Hearts III has the best Disney world selection in the franchise. Each world has a distinct flavour with gameplay and story.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The game mentions it very briefly OP, and many miss this.

You can use your left trigger (L2 on PS) to cycle between situation commands.

That way you can avoid accidentally using an Attraction instead of a Transformation or Higher Magic Spell.

Also, OPs love of 3's systems validates Nomura experimenting with BBS and DDD, shoving the systems (Flowmotion, Shotlock, Command Deck) of those games on top of the KHII basic system was great for me

I didn't know that until after I had beaten the game bwahaha

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well despite all 3 characters being around lvl 50 I'm still being crushed by the KH end of the world enemy wave door, so went back and I'm doing the Hades cup to grind. Made it to 30th seed already

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well despite all 3 characters being around lvl 50 I'm still being crushed by the KH end of the world enemy wave door, so went back and I'm doing the Hades cup to grind. Made it to 30th seed already
Yeah, that room can be pretty rough. Simba makes it pretty simple though if you equip your best magic gear and summon him after the behemoth.