• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Hey NattyBo, as well as everyone else, just wondering what's been your favorite rendition of Dearly Beloved so far? I love when DDD goes into waltz-like section at 1:25. I think BBS might be my favorite, though. It just reminds me of the end of the Blank Points scene. 1:14 is so good.

Also, I hope you like DDD. It has one of my favorite worlds in the series.

dunno, good question!Looks like it may be a slow day at work so maybe I'll have time to do some back to back listening and comparing

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Hey NattyBo, as well as everyone else, just wondering what's been your favorite rendition of Dearly Beloved so far? I love when DDD goes into waltz-like section at 1:25. I think BBS might be my favorite, though. It just reminds me of the end of the Blank Points scene. 1:14 is so good.

Also, I hope you like DDD. It has one of my favorite worlds in the series.

ok I found a video with all of them. I think KH2, 358/2 and re coded are my faves so far. Didnt listen to KH3 version yet because I want to experience it the first time when I play

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
So I'm probably missing something super obvious but I need some help.

I'm on the Tron world as Riku. Dude just told me to go find his contact. I swear I have been around everywhere I can find and I haven't triggered any cutscene or anything. Dunno what to do, and am afraid to youtube because I got some KH3 spoilers today when I was looking for Dearly Beloved :/

I've triggered all(?) the little pincer/elevator things...I'm trying to look around in the "city" sub area since that's where the NPC told me his contact is?

Edit: I'm super dumb, missed a path downwards. Well, on I go. The battle music in this world is fantastic. As was the lightcycle sequence

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
All right, Chain of Memories is officially double beat, and I finally have an answer for kid me who was wondering why Mickey was wearing a black hoodie in the bit of Kingdom Hearts 2 I saw my friend play.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
All right, Chain of Memories is officially double beat, and I finally have an answer for kid me who was wondering why Mickey was wearing a black hoodie in the bit of Kingdom Hearts 2 I saw my friend play.

Congrats! Are you gonna move on to KH2 soon? If so, see all the replies about critical mode last page :-)

Also, that'll be King Mickey or His Majesty, thank you very much! (he looks so badass in that coat)

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
One of us! One of us!

I highly recommend making an exception for Re: Chain of Memories and just YouTubing the cutscenes for that one. Its story is vital to the overall mythology (and to understanding what's going on in 358/2 Days and Kingdom Hearts II), but the card-based gameplay was never very compelling to begin with and it is by far -- by far -- the grindiest, most repetitive, sloggiest KH in the entire series. No matter how great your mental fortitude, CoM is likely to break you. Just watch the cutscenes for that one, just me.

Never mind, looks like you had no problems double-beating CoM. I salute you and your patience!

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
EPACvJZWsAACYqN

EPACvYGXUAE0Ts5

EPACvmDW4AAX_JB

EPACvzoWAAI3ymZ

That intro/recap at the beginning was freaking AWESOME! Here we go!

I think that is my favourite of the openings. It was amazing on the 3DS where Mickey was conducting on the bottom screen and as he conducted things would fly onto the top screen into the scene.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Congrats! Are you gonna move on to KH2 soon? If so, see all the replies about critical mode last page :-)

Also, that'll be King Mickey or His Majesty, thank you very much! (he looks so badass in that coat)

Have you tried reality shifting the environment?

I THINK it's necessary in certain worlds to advance

Edit: What are your thoughts on flowmotion? It took me a while to master it but then it clicked and it was hard to go back to past games without it for a while

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

Thanks, and yeah, I'm starting it right now. Critical, here we go. No hesitation.

Hey, he let Riku call him Mickey by the end of his CoM story. I think I earned the right by extension.

Still adjusting to that voice delivering some of these lines. It's a good kind of bewilderment.

One of us! One of us!

I highly recommend making an exception for Re: Chain of Memories and just YouTubing the cutscenes for that one. Its story is vital to the overall mythology (and to understanding what's going on in 358/2 Days and Kingdom Hearts II), but the card-based gameplay was never very compelling to begin with and it is by far -- by far -- the grindiest, most repetitive, sloggiest KH in the entire series. No matter how great your mental fortitude, CoM is likely to break you. Just watch the cutscenes for that one, just me.

Never mind, looks like you had no problems double-beating CoM. I salute you and your patience!

Yeah, the game structure definitely wore on me. Had a month break between starting and finishing the game, and by the end of Riku's story I was mostly just slipping through rooms, avoiding fights.

I liked the combat when it clicked, but navigating the deck was always a sore spot, and a lot of the number play mixed with real time 3D action just forced my eyes all over the place.

The room generation was the worst of it all though. I'm starting KHII right now just to get a taste of something unique to explore. I've always loved exploring in games, and to have that whole aspect replaced with artifice was dire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I think that is my favourite of the openings. It was amazing on the 3DS where Mickey was conducting on the bottom screen and as he conducted things would fly onto the top screen into the scene.

It's still pretty well timed up the way they did it on PS4 at least! So cool.

Edit: What are your thoughts on flowmotion? It took me a while to master it but then it clicked and it was hard to go back to past games without it for a while

Still getting used to it personally. I could live without it and the Pokemon aspect to be honest.

Thanks, and yeah, I'm starting it right now. Critical, here we go. No hesitation.
giphy.gif

And if you think you've seen Mickey say some shit, just wait til you hit the coolest scene in the series that I've seen so far, in KH2FM. You'll absolutely know when you get there - I suggest not reading back more than a few pages here if you haven't had it spoiled already!

Thanks, if I get stuck again I will absolutely use it! You've been super helpful, I really appreciate it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am the same op, i brought the all in collection during the fall

And all I have to say is fuck kingdom hearts critical mode

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Rinzler design in DDD reminds me a lot of Gray Fox in Metal Gear Solid...

Alright, that's The Grid world down for both Sora and Riku!...may crash now and wake up early tomorrow instead of trying to power through. It's been a long week.

Last edited:

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh ok I dunno if you saw a few pages back but I just beat that one, but only on Proud. I can see it being pretty tough on critical! Maybe abuse the XP gain from D-Link with mickey and shamelessly grind up/over level? More experienced players may have better ideas...
It the human boss and their bs retaliation

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Birth by sleep
Critical mode

Are you trophy hunting? The game isn't really that hard in Critical Mode but you'll need to get access to Second Chance, Once More, Leaf Bracer and maybe EXP Walker really early. If not it's best to play on a lower difficulty.

Also OP I just want to say I'm thankful for this thread. There's been a thousand KH posts lately and a lot of them have been Debbie Downers so it's cool to have a thread that just enjoys the wackiness of this franchise.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Also OP I just want to say I'm thankful for this thread. There's been a thousand KH posts lately and a lot of them have been Debbie Downers so it's cool to have a thread that just enjoys the wackiness of this franchise.

aw shucks, thanks man. Glad people are enjoying it. I know I am!

alright, gotta get to the gym then I can veg out all day with sora and riku guilt free

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Be sure to enjoy Gallagher's best performance as Riku in DDD...

Cause my god he goes downhill...

Are you trophy hunting? The game isn't really that hard in Critical Mode but you'll need to get access to Second Chance, Once More, Leaf Bracer and maybe EXP Walker really early. If not it's best to play on a lower difficulty.

ERA has had sort of a personal vendetta against KH the moment it dawned on them that the "Spin-offs" games they convinced themselves would have no real impact on KH3 were actually games KH3 expected you to have played.

It has muddied the discussion on the game's very real issues. Because lord knows vanilla KH3 wasn't perfect in any way.

Still the current "Debbie Downer" threads are nothing compared to the review thread, were posters actually claimed KH3 was a critical failure for scoring 83 MC instead of KH2's 86 and the fucking 1/10 review was posted over and over....

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
EPKm0aXUcAEkbbj

EPKm00uVUAAbecl

EPKm1QmUEAYSnO8

EPKm1l5UwAIgzP-

Just a random screenshot dump from my playthrough of Dream Drop Distance HD so far. Still enjoying it and the series! Pausing for dinner, but I did manage to beat The Gride, Notre Dame, and Prankster's Paradise/Monstro with both Sora and Riku. Gonna come right back to it after dinner!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what did you think of La Cite des Cloches (Notre Dame)? I was so excited for it pre-release, but I feel the world really suffered due to the limitations of the 3DS. The city is just so empty, it's especially noticeable during the king of fools scene in Sora's story.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
EPKm1l5UwAIgzP-

Just a random screenshot dump from my playthrough of Dream Drop Distance HD so far. Still enjoying it and the series! Pausing for dinner, but I did manage to beat The Gride, Notre Dame, and Prankster's Paradise/Monstro with both Sora and Riku. Gonna come right back to it after dinner!

Wow, really love this last shot. Glad you're enjoying DDD!

A yo fuck vantais or whatever his name is God damn him

Welcome to hell.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is fascinating that birth by sleep critical mode isn't really thG hard except for one thing the original Kingdom hearts dudes. They are Fucking bs.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Out of curiosity, what did you think of La Cite des Cloches (Notre Dame)? I was so excited for it pre-release, but I feel the world really suffered due to the limitations of the 3DS. The city is just so empty, it's especially noticeable during the king of fools scene in Sora's story.

I liked it but I feel your criticism is on point. Also been years since I read the book or watched the movie and uhh man the Judges grudge against Gypsies is sooooo racist haha

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Rolling tonight! Through Traverse Town revisited with Sora and Riku, and just finished The Country of the Musketeers with Sora. Liked this world a lot.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
ERA has had sort of a personal vendetta against KH the moment it dawned on them that the "Spin-offs" games they convinced themselves would have no real impact on KH3 were actually games KH3 expected you to have played.

It has muddied the discussion on the game's very real issues. Because lord knows vanilla KH3 wasn't perfect in any way.

Still the current "Debbie Downer" threads are nothing compared to the review thread, were posters actually claimed KH3 was a critical failure for scoring 83 MC instead of KH2's 86 and the fucking 1/10 review was posted over and over....

I think that's valid, though, considering that they're not numbered titles and that they originally came out on different platforms, with 1 and 2 establishing an understanding that those games are the "main staples", with them not only being the numbered titles but also them being the ones released on PS2, the "central" platform. HD collections tried to correct this notion, with all pre-KH3 games even being bundled as "The Story So Far", suggesting that all those games together are actually one big saga and not just a bundle of side stories as we anticipate where Sora's journey takes him next. But even with that it calls to question the strength of KH's organic unity as being focused on, and about, Sora. He is simultaneously just another Keyblade wielded caught in the struggle between light and darkness but also center of the universe, sorta.

It probably doesn't help that the "side" games play differently from the numbered titles. I personally love that about them but I can't blame someone else for going into BBS expecting it to play like 2 and being bummed/disoriented that it's not. Again it maybe establishes to them that BBS is a side game, and yeah it it is but it's also the most important title universe-wise.

Agree that KH3 has very real issues that I too am trying to come to terms with, but we'll get there when OP gets there. For now I'm excited to see him experience Fantasia.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I feel like Dream Drop Distance and to an extent Birth by Sleep really suffered from this type of world design. Everything is big empty worlds and whilst I love the gameplay and story of them it makes the world feel super small / lonely I think. It was my biggest complaint at the time, something I think KH3 worked on better.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I feel like Dream Drop Distance and to an extent Birth by Sleep really suffered from this type of world design. Everything is big empty worlds and whilst I love the gameplay and story of them it makes the world feel super small / lonely I think. It was my biggest complaint at the time, something I think KH3 worked on better.

dcrf62czvxh21.png

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
You planning on finishing DDD today??

Just finished working out, poured a big cup of coffee, and in my gaming hole now (my son and wife are barely even moving around yet...the eatly bird catches the gaming time!)...I made it through that awesome world with both Sora and Riku before bed last night. Started the last(?) world with Sora and now on Riku. So, yes!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Just finished working out, poured a big cup of coffee, and in my gaming hole now (my son and wife are barely even moving around yet...the eatly bird catches the gaming time!)...I made it through that awesome world with both Sora and Riku before bed last night. Started the last(?) world with Sora and now on Riku. So, yes!

Hope you enjoy how batshit insane the end game story is.

What are your thoughts so far?

IMO I enjoy playing Riku much more, his links are similar to BBS style switches whereas Sora's links are always "Ride the Dream Eaters in a janky manner"