• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
header_alt_assets_0.jpg

Outward was a game I've been interested in for awhile and with the $10 coupon on EGS and able to get the game for $6 I thought it would finally be time to give it a shot.

I knew game had action combat (not unlike the souls game but no where near refined) and survival elements but that's really it. I wasn't expecting quite the level of difficulty and strive for semi-realism. I'm playing on the normal mode, so I'm not sure the differences for Hardcore but what first struck me was the open ended nature of the game.

After making a character with a very barebones character creation, you start off on a ship wreck but are quickly brought to your home at a lighthouse and get told that due to a blood debt you owe 150 silver or you will lose your house. The town leader says she can get them to hold off for 5 days and from there you actually have 5 days or you lose your house. What was interesting was how the game doesn't actually tell you how to make the silver. There is quests (a few that is) but NPCs don't have quest markers so you actually have to seek them out.

I was playing coop at the start so me and my friend were working together to get the 150 silver. We found a quest in the first town where they wanted us to get a shield shaped mushroom from a borrow. The NPC then proceeded to tell us exactly how to get to the location which is really important because the world map doesn't actually show your current location. You need to find a landmark around and orient yourself accordingly. So me and my friend reach the borrow and it's a dungeon, and one that is very dark so at any time one of us needed to be using a torch or lantern or you could not tell where you were going.

Enemies hit hard and can be quite spongy as well. Slowly we make our way through the cave and found the mushroom but keep exploring further. The long we stayed around the more it felt like we were pushing it. As we got low on health and stamina was getting lower. Carrying more stuff then you should be will cause "burn" on the stamina bar. You need to rest in the game (or get specific items) to restore health and stamina beyond a certain point.

A neat little feature is that you can drop your backpack at anytime. So sometimes it's worth it to drop it before going into a fight if you're having weight issues. Eventually we managed to get back to the entrance (we were lost and happened upon it) and went outside and brought the mushroom to the lady. It wasn't quite enough silver but it was getting close. Selling items and pooling our money together we paid off the debt. From there you get told that some of the towns folk will be leaving and you can talk to them before they're off and each of them tell you about different factions in other regions and from here the game really opens up.

Technically you could go anywhere before this but now your given reason to. Traveling is long and grueling due to (as far as I know) there being no mounts and you needing to check the map and sights to see that you're going the right way. Map design isn't the best, it feels like an early 2000s MMO but it works. Graphically it looks like an last-gen open world title but with more modern effects. At this point I was playing solo and when I reached the end of the zone and the loading screen for the next zone, I was little surprised that the flavor text of an NPC (saying to bring traveling rations) wasn't just flavor text and you actually do need enough rations for the travel to the next region.

Hunger, Thirst, and Durability are mechanics in the game but they're fairly forgiving and if you sleep at an Inn (or your house), you get those status full, although if you camp outside you need to manage between time sleeping and guarding (so you don't get ambushed), and it will cost hunger and thirst among other status. You can also repair gear during this time too. Days seem to actually matter in the game as my current quest told me I need to wait 3 days.

Currently I'm not sure what the whole main story is but the faction I joined in the second region promised to wipe away the rest of the blood debt and the game told me that joining this faction was permanent and will change things. Currently I haven't seen the ramifications but I'm intrigued to see how it will unfold.

Another interesting thing is how the game handles death. Death isn't a traditional failure state. When you die a random event can occur. For example when I died in the second region for the first time, a weird tree-like being saved me and brought me to their abode. From there they were willing to aid me with some equipment and so I got better armor and a bigger backpack. The next time I died (not long after), I was saved by a passerby who left me a note and a drink. Other times I died earlier in my journey I awoke in an prison with a powerful monster in the next cell over and another time in a bandit stronghold.

Regardless you don't lose your stuff though your backpack will be on the ground when you spawn back in.

Every action is permanent in the game due to it always saving. So when this stuff happens it can be a huge setback, either increasing how long it will take you to get back home or to your original destination and also lowering resources.

Overall, the game is a bit janky. The UI and combat isn't the greatest and the writing isn't the best either... Yet despite that exploring is fun, the open ended nature of the game adds a sense of mystery. You aren't some hero, just a regular person just trying to get by. I die fairly often but it feels like it's all just part of the learning process.

Has anyone else played Outward? Seems fairly niche. Sorry if my post was meandering or boring.

(Also it has split screen which is unique for a game like this)

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It was honestly one of my favorite games of the year. It evokes a feeling not dissimilar from Gothic, and I had a really good time with it. I ended up playing it twice back-to-back, making different choices.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I've had it on my Steam wishlist for a while now, particularly because of the stories like this that I've read from people who played it. I don't know if I'll pick it up soon, but I do really want to get it eventually.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It was honestly one of my favorite games of the year. It evokes a feeling not dissimilar from Gothic, and I had a really good time with it. I ended up playing it twice back-to-back, making different choices.

So is there an actual ending or does it just keep on going? And are the choices big?

Like I said in my OP, not very far.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
So is there an actual ending or does it just keep on going? And are the choices big?

Like I said in my OP, not very far.
Well, there's an ending inasmuch as there is an ending in, say, an Elder Scrolls game. Basically you have a main faction quest, and there are a few large choices you can make to splinter your outcome further. But finishing the main quest doesn't necessarily end the game.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's an ending inasmuch as there is an ending in, say, an Elder Scrolls game. Basically you have a main faction quest, and there are a few large choices you can make to splinter your outcome further. But finishing the main quest doesn't necessarily end the game.

Neat. That sounds good honestly!

Also I noticed that "Legacy" option for character creation. Do you know what that is?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. That sounds good honestly!

Also I noticed that "Legacy" option for character creation. Do you know what that is?
You can place items in a few specific legacy chests that are strewn about the world, and if you make a legacy character, you can go loot those chests on your new character. You can also imprint a skill onto a skill tablet and pass that along.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You can place items in a few specific legacy chests that are strewn about the world, and if you make a legacy character, you can go loot those chests on your new character. You can also imprint a skill onto a skill tablet and pass that along.

That's a neat mechanic!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
It was great! It reminded me of a combination of gothic, a souls game and morrowind. Fell in love with this one. Yeah it is janky, the characters aren't super complicated and the story is basic but the freedom and world were really good.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I played maybe 15-20 hours or so and had a great time. It's janky but it's also very fun, and I really like that you rarely feel overpowered. The world is threatening in the best way possible.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I've been interested in this game since I saw some preview videos. I really want to check it out.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It was great! It reminded me of a combination of gothic, a souls game and morrowind. Fell in love with this one. Yeah it is janky, the characters aren't super complicated and the story is basic but the freedom and world were really good.

You know, the comparison to Gothic does ring true. It does feel like it's invoking that feeling. I know it wasn't the favorite of the group but I really liked Gothic 3 and always contemplate playing it again.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I was all about buying Outward with the Epic coupon.

I don't know if I can handle the missing QoL features like letting me know where I'm at on the map. That and the bad combat is what's making me hesitate.

I kind of feel like it's an RPG for people that really have the time to spend on it. But for $6 I feel like I should still be giving it a shot.

I've seen that there's mods that can add markers to the map. But does Epic support mods like Steam?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think the lack of map marker causes you to pay more attention to your environment. Same as Gothic. As a result, I can remember the full layout of the world so much better than in most games. The world has lots of landmarks that let you match up your location at any time.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played it for less than an hour and refunded due to the jank.

Bought it earlier in the year when I didn't really have much else to do, and it looked right up my alley. Was really disappointed that I didn't enjoy it at all. The combat seemed pretty bad.

Had a friend who doubted my judgement, bought it, and refunded it in less than an hour as well.

I can see the appeal, but it really wasn't for me.

Edit: The current "most helpful" review for it on Steam is basically my opinion of the game.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's indeed a fascinating RPG, one of a kind im today's gaming climate. I beat it on its launch month, and I loved it.

The game, at its core, is hardcore, even in normal mode. There's only a single autosave, no quest markers on the map, unforgiving combat encounters, puzzling dungeons, survival elements, and more.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I've played more today and returned to the first area. The first thing I noticed it was that it started to snow... and then the entire region was covered in snow! Suddenly I had to contest with the cold and well, accidentally caught a cold haha. I had no idea that the weather changed in this other than the occasional rain.

Also, I found a 2h axe that seems to be pretty good. Would love to use 2h sword but this seems better thus far.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Really thought I could look past the jank and enjoy this, but the combat was just too bad for me to get into it. It was one of the worst feeling I have experienced in a long long time. I can see it being more fun with a co-op buddy though.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The game actively tried to stop me from having fun. Even a few mods to alleviate that didn't help, so I aborted it after a while. Its core mechanisms are just too clunky.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Really thought I could look past the jank and enjoy this, but the combat was just too bad for me to get into it. It was one of the worst feeling I have experienced in a long long time. I can see it being more fun with a co-op buddy though.

I don't think it's that bad honestly. Played worse. It is however very hard so I do die a lot. I should say that at this point I've played far more solo than co-op and still having a time. It can be tough having your choices actually have consequences, can't save scum!

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So one thing I did want to add after playing more is just how useful it is to use what enemies are weak to. I know that sounds obvious but in this game it really does make a difference. I had been in the area, the Ghost Pass and every single fight against the purple and red ghost enemies was super tough and long. I managed to make it through by the skin of my teeth, but there was an ornate chest I was determined to open and loot. I looked in my inventory and found these purple potions I had picked up earlier in the dungeon and they added Ethereal damage to my weapon.

So I used it and ventured back into the dungeon...

And everything began to die within 3 to 4 hits rather than the 8 - 10 they had been before.

I'm going to for sure try to build up a mass stock of these elemental potions. I used fire against a Wendigo and that also worked really well.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The music is really nice.

I played maybe 15-20 hours or so and had a great time. It's janky but it's also very fun, and I really like that you rarely feel overpowered. The world is threatening in the best way possible.

Fear. This game promotes Fear.

Namely, being trapped in a pitch-dark cursed temple whose hallways are filled with Shelled Horrors who will knock you down then okizeme the absolute fuck out of you
i know this as it happened to me

But traps and a big ol' fuck-off hand cannon that not only knocked lower-weight enemies on their ass but set them on fire helped to even it out a bit. Its less there's combat and more that you're hunting, if that make sense.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I had a TON of fun with this game. I would have easily got more than 100 hours out of it.

Outward, Vampyr and ELEX are some of the best RPG's of this generation.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
on the fence with this one. i don't really buy into the jank = charm thing, like jank is jank and a game needs to be okay in spite of it.

might bite before the EGS sale is up though. guess depends on my mood in the following days

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Made a lot of great progress today and stopped the 3 Bandit leaders from destroying Cierzo (which from my understanding can happen if you don't ever take care of them). Thankfully only had to kill 2 while I got the 3rd to just call it off. I got a really heavy (but amazing) Preservation backpack that carries up to 75 weight. Which is great though it has lead me to still put too much in it haha. I got the Cierzo's guard Elite Helmet as a reward which was way better than mine.

I went inside the mountain in the first region and found I could get mana there but I held off since I didn't want to sacrifice my health or stamina.

Finally returning back to Berg (in the second region), I bought the rest of the Elite Armor set and finally decided to continue with my main faction quest. But not before buying a house in Berg so I could store a bunch of stuff and finally not me teetering on full weight constantly.

Now I have to go rescue some people and that's where I decided to stop for today.

Also I found a skeleton pirate captain which I killed and a note in the room said he has treasure on his ship buried in the sand. As I could not find any ship buried in sand in the first region I'm guessing it's in the desert region. So that will be fun to find.

Edit: OH! I nearly forgot. So before going inside the mountain I went up to the top. There I fought this kind of weird rock insect thing and then I pulled a sword out of the stone. It's rusted but from what I read you can transform it into a Sword with Frost. Hmmmm....

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
Missed this thread but Outward was definitely one of my favorite games of the year. I try to keep up with gaming news but sometimes games like this come out of nowhere and you just drop every huge AAA release you may have just bought just to try it out. I did this with Outward, A Plague's Tale: Innocence, and Kingdom Come Deliverence and they were all such a treat and felt like playing this amazing game that no one else had heard of or looked over. I still want to try out Vampyr and Greedfall but I live for the jank now.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, excellent game. Love that all your progression can be seen on your character. Equipment etc...

A fun Co-op game if anyone is looking for one.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry that I hadn't provided any. Next time I play I'll try to take some screenshots should anything interesting show. Or even if it's just neat environments.
Just being needy :) I went out at looked it up myself after reading the thread and it really does seem like an awesome unique experience.

gnoclaude

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
For me personally it was one of the most memorable games ever. It was an experience reminiscent of when I first played Demons Souls. I hadn't ever experienced a game like it. It took a bit to get over the incredibly dense and difficult start but once I understood the game it clicked. It really has a game play loop similar to Monster Hunter minus the monster hunting (silly I know). You prepair for a journey/adventure, fill your bag with what you need, venture out, gather more, come back to craft items, cook food and venture out again. I go in the zone slowly pushing further out, conquering dungeons, getting better gear. Once I was equipped well enough I left for a new zone to make my base and repeated the process. All the while getting better skills and hp buffs through the trainers I found. It was IMMENSELY satisfying. For 6 bucks everyone should give it a shot. Plus the devs added a ton of free dlc.

If you enjoyed Souls the combat will scratch the itch.
If you enjoyed Xenoblade X the exploration scratches the itch.
If you enjoyed MH World the gameplay loop will scratch the itch.

It is seriously great. You make your own adventure and the build variety and armor variety is as satisfying as a Souls game imho. There are secret items everywhere and really dope unique weapons. Everything is balanced with pros and cons. Magic is op but takes a ton of planning. Buffs are great. Skills are great. To use skills you need an active buff that is consumed by the skill. Cooking and alchemy are fun and addictive. Seriously deep and rewarding game. One of my favorite games ever. Those that get it will understand.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just being needy :) I went out at looked it up myself after reading the thread and it really does seem like an awesome unique experience.

So I did make an Album of my (short) adventure today.

(Second screenshot and third screenshots are different times of day since after taking the second screenshot I went back inside and slept to get full health haha)

Today I just continued the main story. Although I could have been done with it faster but I thought the exit of the dungeon I went through last time would put me on the path to the south but it just looped back to the city through a small passage between hills. So, with that I looked at the map, went south and began my journey to the burnt forest. There I found the bandits who had kidnapped some important figures and saved them... Though I was a little surprised to find two fire enemies in the bandit camp. The first one did a lot of damage to me but using an ice weapon potion thing (basically gives your weapon element damage), I was easily able to take out the other and then the bandits inside.

Afterwards I talked to the NPCs and they went back to the city. Originally I was going to go back there myself but I was getting tired (3 AM as of this post) so I was going to quit. But I spotted some weird skeleton/tree/bee enemies and killed them and then took refuge in an abandoned hunters tent. And that is where I ended my current adventure.

Nothing crazy all things considered.

Edit: Sorry if my screenshots are underwhelming. Not a great screenshot taker.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Outward ended up my GOTY. I've put about 800 hours into it with a friend. It's insanely fun and challenging.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I did make an Album of my (short) adventure today.

(Second screenshot and third screenshots are different times of day since after taking the second screenshot I went back inside and slept to get full health haha)

Today I just continued the main story. Although I could have been done with it faster but I thought the exit of the dungeon I went through last time would put me on the path to the south but it just looped back to the city through a small passage between hills. So, with that I looked at the map, went south and began my journey to the burnt forest. There I found the bandits who had kidnapped some important figures and saved them... Though I was a little surprised to find two fire enemies in the bandit camp. The first one did a lot of damage to me but using an ice weapon potion thing (basically gives your weapon element damage), I was easily able to take out the other and then the bandits inside.

Afterwards I talked to the NPCs and they went back to the city. Originally I was going to go back there myself but I was getting tired (3 AM as of this post) so I was going to quit. But I spotted some weird skeleton/tree/bee enemies and killed them and then took refuge in an abandoned hunters tent. And that is where I ended my current adventure.

Nothing crazy all things considered.

Edit: Sorry if my screenshots are underwhelming. Not a great screenshot taker.
Amazing.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
If you were to start this solo and have a friend join down the road, could you use your more progressed character to play with their new one?

Also does progress of both characters stick in the host's game or how does that work?

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
9C69FA317A06AC261F2BE6C4A117DFE67DB18483

A screenshot that was passed up for my GOTY art.

This is my near-endgame duder, encompassing traps, burning hand-cannons, and a cudgel that not only knocks enemies down easier, but lowers their crushing resist! All while they burn and any casting they do on the inbound is snuffed.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally it was one of the most memorable games ever. It was an experience reminiscent of when I first played Demons Souls. I hadn't ever experienced a game like it. It took a bit to get over the incredibly dense and difficult start but once I understood the game it clicked. It really has a game play loop similar to Monster Hunter minus the monster hunting (silly I know). You prepair for a journey/adventure, fill your bag with what you need, venture out, gather more, come back to craft items, cook food and venture out again. I go in the zone slowly pushing further out, conquering dungeons, getting better gear. Once I was equipped well enough I left for a new zone to make my base and repeated the process. All the while getting better skills and hp buffs through the trainers I found. It was IMMENSELY satisfying. For 6 bucks everyone should give it a shot. Plus the devs added a ton of free dlc.

If you enjoyed Souls the combat will scratch the itch.
If you enjoyed Xenoblade X the exploration scratches the itch.
If you enjoyed MH World the gameplay loop will scratch the itch.

It is seriously great. You make your own adventure and the build variety and armor variety is as satisfying as a Souls game imho. There are secret items everywhere and really dope unique weapons. Everything is balanced with pros and cons. Magic is op but takes a ton of planning. Buffs are great. Skills are great. To use skills you need an active buff that is consumed by the skill. Cooking and alchemy are fun and addictive. Seriously deep and rewarding game. One of my favorite games ever. Those that get it will understand.

Woah...guess I'll try it then

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Is there a story you can beat and how focused it is? I feared it's a sandbox "create your own adventure" kinda game I don't like. Apart from that I'm intrigued.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If you were to start this solo and have a friend join down the road, could you use your more progressed character to play with their new one?

Also does progress of both characters stick in the host's game or how does that work?

So my understanding is that world/quest progression is tied to the host but any gear/items/skills and so on that you get as the partner still is retained in their own game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This game has had my interested for a while, and I grabbed it in the sale. I played it for a n hour or two and I was not impressed...

While the visuals of footage grabbed me, the first area feels incredibly dated. The gameplay feels like an early MMO, and the difference between coice dialogue and the written text is so jarring it constantly throws me as I'm trying to take either it in (and you need to read as the voice dialogue only covers a little, so it gets really clunky).

Anyway, this thread has convinced me to push on a little more... I really liked the look of some of footage I saw, and the hats are awesome...

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a story you can beat and how focused it is? I feared it's a sandbox "create your own adventure" kinda game I don't like. Apart from that I'm intrigued.

So there is 3(?) factions in the game with their own main quests. They do lead to an ending though it's not one that ends the game, as you can continue to play after it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there as I that what was told to me, I haven't gotten close to that point yet.

Edit: Should be noted that you can only join 1 faction per character.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
So there is 3(?) factions in the game with their own main quests. They do lead to an ending though it's not one that ends the game, as you can continue to play after it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there as I that what was told to me, I haven't gotten close to that point yet.

Edit: Should be noted that you can only join 1 faction per character.
Thanks!