• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hopped on this right after finishing 2 and watching the 389/2 'movie' yesterday. A few hrs in as terra... and im not sure how I feel. Not a huge fan of the camera getting back to being close to the player and it can get pretty wonky in combat. The new card system seems needlessly complicated and i do hope i dont need to invest too much effort into grinding to beat the normal difficulty... I do like how 'guard' is so much faster to bring up compare to kh1 and 2 at least as terra! Not really using d-link system much outside of it being a free heal. Game doesn't seem too hard so far, only died once so far... when i didn't realize you can't d-link when the other characters are fighting a boss with ya.

This monopoly minigame thing... do I need to do this? Got my ass kicked one time and the exp gained per card was low lol.

Storywise it's been pretty ass so far. Feels like a shitty take on the star wars prequels. Xehanort is a shitty villain so far, and terra is a shitty anakin. I'm baffled how this series always seem to have main characters that are awful (roxas was ok!).

Tech wise i'm pretty impressed. Not too sure how much of the game was upgraded for the console rerelease, but for a psp game the animations are solid, character face models have some animation during close ups. Maps are a bit plain, but overall it seems pretty impressive for psp!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to play Ventus > Aqua next in that order.

Ultimately the story is all about the climax which is only fully understood when you play as all 3 characters.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing this on the PSP during its release and being just super impressed at the fidelity.

SE put out some bangers on that system.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This monopoly minigame thing... do I need to do this? Got my ass kicked one time and the exp gained per card was low lol.

You don't. If you want to really trivialize most of the game, do it once and grab the Ragnarok shotlock off of the Land of Departure board though. It's really good against bosses and you can get it at the very beginning of every character's story.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
If you have trouble you can brute force it in a sense by stacking your deck with Cure magic.

May 10, 2018
You don't have to do the mini games.

Since you're playing on normal you won't have to grind at all.

The command deck is pretty cool once you get the gist of it. Certain attacks make the game really easy though.

After playing it again on PS4 I realized even more how much of a dumbass Terra is.

Hell even Peter Pan knows what's up.

f7ndvlnyxdf11.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine that introduced me to KH imported BBS when it came out in Japan (because I think it was like half a year or something out from a western release or something)

He lent me his and I enjoyed it quite a bit for the time.
I played the PS4 version last year and I was shocked at how bad the story was. Terra's VA is surprisingly bad and still gets me out of it every time I hear it.
Shocking that essentially the person that would become ansem, xehanort, and Xemnas is so unappealing. His lingering will scene is cool, though spoiled on KH2's FM.
I think Ven was pretty bad too. What if Roxas was trying to act more like Sora is weird.
Would've been a good way to essentially bring back roxas. But they're going to drag his corpse out for KH3 based on the trailers

Aqua is alright.
Her Va struggled a bit but she's the least worst one.

While great for psp standards, the camera and gameplay don't hold up too well on consoles making it probably one of the weakest KH games you can play on modern hardware.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

The command deck is pretty cool once you get the gist of it. Certain attacks make the game really easy though.

After playing it again on PS4 I realized even more how much of a dumbass Terra is.

f7ndvlnyxdf11.jpg
It's still funny to see Terra meet literal Disney villains and go "hmm, you seem like a trustworthy authority figure" and draws on them for his fucking friendship powers.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ven and Aqua are much more fun to play as than Terra btw, but story-wise, it's good that you started with him.

The command system is great, and the combat is much more enjoyable once you get more moves, so make sure to buy and fuse new ones regularly. You can ignore D-Link for the most part, unless you desperately need a quick heal.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terra being a naive idiot was the point though. That he was being exploited because he was too trusting of authority from every angle including the masters.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this game even convinced my childhood friends to all buy a psp and bbs back then haha yeah i am quite the silver tongued convincing fella :P

But they all enjoydd it aswell it was awesome playing dat mirage arena with friends together.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought my PSP off a friend (RIP) just for this game lol it really was an impressive game on that system.

One of my favorite stories in the series. The climax of it all is just a series of punches to the gut that you see coming but can't do anything about.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I'm going to play this after KH2 (I'm almost at the end). This is the last one I have to play right? I can just watch a summary of the recoded one and be good to go for KH3?

I'm dreading BBS to be honest. I'm so burned out of the repeat Disney worlds. How many times do I need to do Aladin or Hercules.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'm going to play this after KH2 (I'm almost at the end). This is the last one I have to play right? I can just watch a summary of the recoded one and be good to go for KH3?

I'm dreading BBS to be honest. I'm so burned out of the repeat Disney worlds. How many times do I need to do Aladin or Hercules.
DDD is absolutely necessary as it takes place right after 2.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
2.8, which you can get for stupid cheap, has DDD and 0.2, which is basically the prologue to KH3.

Hmm. I can look but it's not on amazon anymore. I might just have to watch the summaries and live with it. I'm not sure I can even play more KH after BBS when I get to it. I'm starting to get major burn out.

I am currently replaying it right now. Aside from the combat and RPG elements, its not a very good game.

I'd probably say this for all of the Kingdom Hearts games so far. Lol. They're all pretty bad as a first time player in 2019. KH2 has some atrocious boss fights.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I can look but it's not on amazon anymore. I might just have to watch the summaries and live with it. I'm not sure I can even play more KH after BBS when I get to it. I'm starting to get major burn out.

I'd probably say this for all of the Kingdom Hearts games so far. Lol. They're all pretty bad as a first time player in 2019. KH2 has some atrocious boss fights.
It's also on PSN like all the other KH games. YT videos would probably be better than wiki summaries. A lot of shit goes down in DDD, and it gets confusing towards the end.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
DDD is absolutely necessary as it takes place right after 2.

Just watch a video and skip the middle because it's rubbish. The ending is quite important but I really don't think the rest of that game is a requirement. If you got the time, watch it. If not, just watch the last set of cutscenes.

I love BbS. I love Terra. Every character in KH is dumb though, not just Terra. It's full blown dumb anime friendship is power and everyone is a gullible child. But Terra is my fave. I expect big things for him in KHIII!

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You aren't wrong. I am doing another replay of the series, I think this is my 4th. Everytime I replay it, I just hate them more. The writing is just so bad in all of them that it feels more like a chore to play them

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Just started this today as Aqua. I'm kinda digging it, but skeptical I'll beat the game before KH3 drops.

Oct 25, 2017
Magnet+Thunder combo is op as fuck in all three campaigns. Get them. Level them. Meld two of each spell to get the better versions of them, smash face.

Once you hit Radiant Garden, meld fire magic till you get Mega Flare. Proceed to smash every non boss in the game with those three spells.

Bosses are about dodging, blocking, and Shotlocks. Use your Shotlocks!!

Meld guide:

Get all the red and yellow abilities. Pick a recipe and throw the corresponding crystal in there.

Have fun ;)

Last edited:

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
I don't think you need to worry about grinding because shotlocks and other command combinations trivializes the game. BBS has some good moments and it's a good game, not as good as 2 and 1 though.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished this yesterday. Didn't get the secret ending, but did the final chapter. Took me about 20 hours all up. I first played as Ventus which took me a while. But I ploughed through the game as Terra and Aqua - they're both so over powered.

With regards to grinding, I never had to do it. However there is an area right before the end of each of the character endings (look out for some tornado type enemies). It seems to be a very efficient way to level. I finished the game around level 27 with each character on normal.

I thought the game was excellent and the best KH I've played so far (just started DDD). I think BBS had the best balance between the KH vs Disney storylines. It also felt like a step in the right direction with difficulty and combat. Despite playing on normal, I had to think during boss fights. Yet it was possible to steam roll if you find 2-3 specific skills.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Hows Terra is a shit Anakin if Xenahort intention is to take his body as a vessel?

Also, how is the deck more complicated? Do you have difficult to merge perhaps?

Too bad you're not enjoying. It's one of the best KH games and better than 2 imo.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
huh... this might be the first kh game where im having issues with story content for hercules cup. Dont remember there being time limits in the other games. might have to plan out my deck. Not a fan of those shield guys. getting behind them is a pain with the camera.

Jul 24, 2018
Favorite Kingdom Hearts title, love the customization in the combat, felt less like I had to just tap the X button to win, plus the story is pretty good. It's a but lacking in content due to it being a PSP title though.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Not a fan of those shield guys. getting behind them is a pain with the camera.

Well the counter argument used against this game is that you just need to smash the attack button to win.

Anyway if you're having trouple then attack one time and forces them to attack you, then you defend and counter. But you can use magic too and shotlocks if you're having trouple. Initially they're a pain to deal because of how weak you are and the time you spent to deal with all of them.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
Well the counter argument used against this game is that you just need to smash the attack button to win.

Anyway if you're having trouple then attack one time and forces them to attack you, then you defend and counter. But you can use magic too and shotlocks if you're having trouple. Initially they're a pain to deal because of how weak you are and the time you spent to deal with all of them.

yeah i needa remember to use shotlocks.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
i hate Terras story because he is unreasonably stupid. Ven and especially Aquas story I like a lot.

And yeah for a PSP game its one of the best looking, and looks great at 1080p.

Shotlock is OP by the way.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like terra's stupidity is just magnified by the fact that he kind of is the only 'adult' shaped thing you have played as so far.

At the very least i like how he controls.

Any general tips on command board?

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
i feel like terra's stupidity is just magnified by the fact that he kind of is the only 'adult' shaped thing you have played as so far.

At the very least i like how he controls.

Any general tips on command board?

Never let the enemy starts first lmao

Also, almost aways priorizes using double dice and getting the check points as fast as possible, unless you're very ahead. Use magic cards to double dice and attack cards to stun enemies or getting spaces. Guetting 4 checking points and keyhole renews your cards anyway, so dont be afraid of spend them.

In big tables pay attention in your route. The enemy may find a route that its not suitable to you, prize block routes can suck your points.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I hated the command deck, but at a basic level, hitting enemy's with the keyblade was more satisfying, feeling less like wacking with a wet noodle. I also loved that you have a dodge from the beginning, and bosses are designed knowing that. Bosses also telegraph their moves a bit better, so it's easier to react over having to predict like I did in 2.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
BbS was unfortunately the beginning of the KH battle system becoming terrible. Good story tho.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017

f7ndvlnyxdf11.jpg
haha yeah peter knows whats up.

DxUyY_YWsAEE3ej.jpg:large

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Yeah Terra is such a stupid sack of bricks. I think he gets tricked by litterally every vilain in the game. Monopoly is thankfully optional. Game isn't too difficult besides the ending. Technically the game is super impressive, especially when you compare it to DS games from the time.

Oh yeah, have fun making a dress for Cinderella that she never even wears.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
An issue I have with BbS is that everything feels way too compressed.

Like, I get where they're going with it. But the story is pretty much set up in a way that says "terra is dumb" and "we need to show how dumb terra is in 10 hours worth of story campaign", instead of letting his fall be more believable.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it right now as well, though not for the first time. Some thoughts:

This game is really easy. I'm playing on critical, and while there were 2-3 battles in my Terra playthrough, I virtually steam rolled through Ventus without having to think about much of anything. His final boss became a joke with like a mere 10 minutes of fighting enemies in Peter Pan land. It's kind of shocking.

This game wants really hard to do the Kingdom Hearts 1 story again with the three friends tragically thrust apart, but the characters are much older so the juvenile way they interact is not cute but just embarrassing, Ven is the only good voice actor as opposed to KH1 where all three were great, and WTF Terra is the biggest god damn dumb dumb.

I like the battle system alright, but it's not as fun as the numbered games.