• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
H2x1_NSwitchDS_KatanaZero_image1600w.jpg

I got it a couple of days ago on Switch for 6 bucks and I've enjoyed every second from beginning to end.

For anyone who doesn't know, Katana ZERO is a 2D action game based on trial and error. You play as a guy dressed like a samurai who can rewind and slow down time, and uses it to work as a hitman and slay everyone in his path. It's as cool as it sounds. Much like Super Meat Boy, Celeste, or Hotline Miami, you get to the level, you try to beat it and, if you die, time rewinds to the beginning so you can try again. Pretty straightforward, but it works like a charm.

The game is stylish as hell. The neon aesthetic and synth music is amazing and it builds a great atmosphere while you slice and dice anyone who dares stand in front of you. It's very satisfying to slowly progress through a level, memorizing what to do next in your sequence of attacks and then executing it all flawlessly to clean the room of enemies.

4E5v.gif

But that's not all, the storyline is super interesting. I won't go into details because it's better to go into it without knowing too much, but the writing and the twists are outstanding. The way the plot plays with your mind is something I wish I saw more often in videogames.

I really liked the dialogue system, too. You can interrupt NPCs mid-sentence and be a rude asshole, or wait for them to finish and reply as a normal human being. There are a few really fun interactions and I'd be interested in playing through it again choosing different options to see how the dialogue changes.

It's not a long game, but I feel like it was long enough. And I think there's an upcoming DLC to add more to the story, which is nice because I want to play around a bit more in this universe. I liked it a lot and I strongly recommend that you give it a try if you enjoy this kind of games.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing vibe, fantastic gameplay; definitely feel like people are sleeping on this game. I would say the length is about perfect: it doesn't overstay its welcome, which a lot more games could learn from.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
One of my favorite games of the year. Maybe the favorite. Ape Out is up there too.

Shame they dont make more games like this.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Game was a lot of fun. loved that you can eventually get so good at it. That you don't need his power to deflect bullets. I just did it in real time. felt fucking awesome. Only complaint was I think it ended on a whimper. Right as things get interesting it wraps up

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love this game. Everything aspect of it from gameplay, visual presentation, dialogue, music, etc. is so cool.

Game was a lot of fun. loved that you can eventually get so good at it. That you don't need his power to deflect bullets. I just did it in real time. felt fucking awesome. Only complaint was I think it ended on a whimper. Right as things get interesting it wraps up
I liked trying to play in real time too.
Though regarding the ending, I believe after finishing my first playthrough I read somewhere it's supposed to be continued eventually through DLC.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorites releases of the year no doubt. I REALLY hope we hear news on a sequel next year.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game. I beat it in about 5 hours and it was just the right length. Though that ending was cruel and unusual punishment.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Love this game. Everything aspect of it from gameplay, visual presentation, dialogue, music, etc. is so cool.

I liked trying to play in real time too.
Though regarding the ending, I believe after finishing my first playthrough I read somewhere it's supposed to be continued eventually through DLC.
Man it was so much fun. Just going into a stage that you've failed a few times going "in 3 seconds I'm going to trigger the enemies gun fire. I'll need to deflect right as the door finishes opening. The first bullet will ricochet off my blade and into the first enemy. Then I'll need to roll to get passed the next few bullets. Once the roll is done I should be able to kill the remaining enemies with no hassle." Was absolutely great being able to do that. Hell I kinda wanna play it again now that I think about it haha.

Oh shoot is it? Figured the way it was ending was set up for a sequel lol.
(Also glad to have you back Silfer).

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really great game but seriously lacking in content. Was really hoping there was a true ending or something but maybe in a sequel or something eventually.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked this up on eShop the other day along with Hotline Miami. Almost done with the latter (people don't like the 2nd game as much, right?) so I'll start playing through this afterwards.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Currently my GOTY. The gameplay is tight and rewarding, the soundtrack is phenomenal, and the story is really intriguing. I don't even know how many times I've beaten the game this year, but I keep coming back for more. Can't wait for the DLC and the vinyl soundtrack to release.

Gles

Aug 4, 2019
I was surprised that I liked this game, I couldn't stop playing it, was short but it felt enough for me.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
sorry to bump this thread, but I'm having a problem with this game. I got it for Steam and I just can't make my Xone controller to work. I can only play with my keyboard.

does anyone how to solve it?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to play this beyond the first few screens. Something about it didn't quite grab me, but I'm hoping it does!

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I use the dongle, so I guess wired?
the controller works without any problem with all the games that supports it.

So I had some problems with wireless for awhile and if you are using the dongle I suspect your controller is older. Trying plugging the controller into your PC and updating it.

I did the following to below and it fixed all my wireless issues.

Update your controller on a Windows 10 PC by using the Xbox Accessories app:
  1. If you don't already have the app installed, get it in the Microsoft Store.
  2. Open the Xbox Accessories app.
  3. Connect your Xbox One Wireless Controller by using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
    Note You'll be prompted to update to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition if you haven't yet done so.
  4. When the controller is connected, you'll see the message Update Required if an update is mandatory. Install the update.
Things to keep in mind
  • The Xbox Accessories app is available only on Windows 10.
  • Controllers that don't have a built-in 3.5-mm audio port must be updated using a USB connection and must have the Windows 10 TH2 Update (or later).
  • Updating the controller over Bluetooth is not supported.
  • To customize the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 in the Xbox Accessories app, get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update (or later) and make sure your PC has the latest fixes. See how to get updates.
  • Bluetooth requires a PC running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. See Windows Update: FAQ to learn how to get the latest Windows update.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished it this week. Great stuff all around. I for my part found the story compelling, although a little bit cryptic. The game plays really tight and fast paced.

Although it is hard,, I found the difficulty to be mitigated by the shortness of the levels, as well as the lack of loading times. If you die, you can almost immediately go at it again.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played it around the same time you did as well, due to the sale. I was frankly blown away by it even though I'd heard some positive buzz around it. It was in my top 5 for the year.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Bought it on release and it was my favorite indie game that year, hopefully we'll get a sequel.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Read many good things about this game and bought it a couple of days ago. It's currently on sale. YO, this game is hella dope! Just finished it.
I usually don't care about stories in video games (mostly because the majority is so forgettable imo). But this one hooked me.
Also: They way the story and gameplay merge in this game is so good. This is how it should be done in a game!

Also this goddamn music. I need to get the upcoming vinyl

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
i played this one, but does someone have an answer to the story? somehow very confusing and i guess there is some sort of secret ending...?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The game is incredible, I heard good things and honestly think it's still underrated. It probably has like top 5 movement in any 2D game. It's everything I wanted Hotline Miami to be.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
This game was alright. My major gripes with are that the gameplay eventually feels repetitive and the story was way too edgelordy for my taste.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I bought this on a whim and it was amazing. One of my favorite games this year.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a good game. Perfect for Switch. Definitely one of those "let me just try one more time" games.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
OP is old but still on the money, the game is brilliant. Oozes style in spots and the gameplay felt wonderful when you got to the point where you were reflecting without slowdown. Mixing that in to create fun and fluid solutions to levels made for a really enjoyable number of hours with it. Would and do recommend it to anyone that remains curious.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
Great game, loved the vibe. We NEED a sequel. Or DLC or something! Flesh it out a bit more.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I've been thinking that some more content might get added before the physical version goes up on LRG later this year.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Desperately want to play this - very much My Bag - but it isn't available on anything I own. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I got like 60-70% through the game, but the game gave me headaches after every playthrough. I'll grab some shades and play through it to the end one day, because it's a very fun game.

Oct 28, 2017
This game was outstanding. Waiting on that DLC. There is so much more to the story to be told and what a story it is!

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I've been playing this game on xbox and i'm loving it, good thing that it's on gamepass too.

If you haven't tried it do it!

The OST is also amazing!

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I just finished the game early this morning. It was a pretty great time. The thing that I appreciated was how I could generally pull off the exact the series of moves that I wanted. Now I need to see what all those missing achievements are, and see just how brutal the time mode is. It has some great looking art.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Loved this game. Was such a nice length. A small indie title with a cool story, amazing vibes and slick action.

Interested to see what the team does next.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played through the majority of it on Gamepass and yeah boy.. this game is a real gem.