• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this the best entry in the Yakuza series so far?

• Yes

Votes: 51 27.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Not really sure

Votes: 115 62.8%

• Total voters

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
So! An hour and a half ago I finished my playthrough of Judgment, and I couldn't be happier with my €25 purchase of this game. Coming off Yakuza: Like A Dragon, I wasn't too keen to snag a game that reuses Kamurocho YET. AGAIN. But with no PS5 in sight any time this frickin' decade, I decided to buy the game after realizing I'm bored as shit.

And boy, am I glad I did. It managed to grab hold of me very quickly with its characters, compared to the almost-whimsical tone of Like A Dragon and its paper-thin cast of ridiculous party members (seriously, am I supposed to believe Zhao and Joon-Gi are snuggly BFFs with hearts of gold? lol). I love that the game successfully, and surprisingly quickly, manages to establish Yagami, his background, his beliefs and his closest allies, with Kaito being the best bud in any Yakuza game thus far. I love, love, LOVE how well the new cast of characters play off each other and how the story unfolds. While the game successfully continues the tradition with the batshit crazy, stupid (and slightly misogynistic) side-stories which are probably some of the best in the entire series, the straightforwardness and consistency of the main story told here is excellent. Sure, it occasionally devolves into sheer stupidity with the studio's love for plot twists and crazy spectacles, but it generally sticks to a solid narrative much better than most, if not all, games in the series. Yagami is not as faultless as Kiryu or as dumb-charming as Ichiban, and thus I feel he's an actual character with clear motivations and responses to things.

I really dig the focus on building relationships with various characters and the entire friend rating system, and how the various small characters are introduced and intertwined either with each other or the main story. Also, it might be recency bias but I believe Judgment is the best-looking game out of them all.

It's not all perfect though. The tailing missions are too basic and tend to drag on too long and too often, the Keihin Gang system can be absurdly annoying when the game keeps throwing groups of enemies at you that are pretty much unavoidable, and Kamurocho is seriously long in the tooth (fuck this map for any future game). But all flaws disintegrate when you get further into the story; the main antagonists are awesome and very well-executed, and the last three chapters are HYPE. AS. FUUUU-

DentalSpiritedBullmastiff-max-1mb.gif

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you need to play this game if you haven't.
What do others think of it?

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I love it too. I spent around 300 hours in that game. Favourite protagonist and all the other characters were also fantastic. It has a great story to boot.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I liked 0 better personally and even would put 2 and 3 above Judgement. I have been playing Yakuza for a long while though and could be biased :P.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has the best combat in the whole series, only took eight games to make it fun before being jettisoned, but the story just isn't that interesting. Yagami doesn't lend himself as well to the series' main point of comedy: putting a stoned faced yakuza badass in a scenario where he has to dress as a mascot to entertain kids or defeat the evil AI in his new smartphone.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
It's a great game but it's a bit underdeveloped compared to the mainline Yakuza games. Great ideas like the investigative system, tailing, etc. but they're all kind of basic. Hopefully they flesh them out more with Judgement 2. I really dug the drone racing though.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I am also playing it atm OP and having just come off Kiwami I am absolutely in love with Judgment! As a huge Ace Attorney fan it's taking the Yakuza things I love alongside detective/court stuff and making a perfect cocktail of gaming

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
It's the only Yakuza game I've played so far, but I totally loved it. I'm almost afraid to move into the series proper even though I've got copies of 0-6, because I liked Yagami so much that Kiryu is probably going to be a downgrade for me.

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
A couple of more things:
- It felt like the localization team had more fun than usual this time around. LOVED so many of the lines, and one thing stuck: "Damn, he just ate shit!" when that American ninja faceplants into the pavement. LMAO
- The drone racing is a damngood.gif minigame.
- The combat scenario scripted scenes such as the CHAIR one mentioned above, the ones in the final boss fight, or the one where you attack the big clan hideout were fantastic. Clearly shows that the studio felt a rush of inspiration moving away from Kiryu.
- On that note, Kiryu fucking sucks compared to Yagami.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's by far my favorite. It's the only game in the series I've finished in the space of a week, the others take me months and months, often with sizeable breaks. The story was just more compelling to me, I guess.

It really needs a sequel that irons out its issues (I didn't mind the tailing missions but I can see how they'd get on peoples nerves) while playing to its strengths.

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, it's up there but I think Like a Dragon is my current favorite. Maybe like my number 2 or 3 favorite entry.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
It's a fantastic game, but have not played LIke A Dragon yet for a full opinion - but of what I have played it is hands down the best.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Not the best Yakuza, but a serious contender for best story in a Yakuza game. Really hits the spot as a murder mystery.

Best Yakuza overall is either 0, 2/Kiwami 2 or Like a Dragon.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I really, really, really disliked the VR minigame.

It was bad, obnoxious, and the ticket system can just go to hell.

Enjoyed the rest though. Probably would rank it somewhere in the middle of the RgG Studio games, but it's definitely worth playing.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I voted "not really sure" in the dumb, biased poll, but my real answer is "no". It's a good game too but no, it is not as good as a lot of Yakuza's.

Oct 27, 2017
I always say people should play this. awesome combat, story, cinematography, graphics and characters. Also has a lot of great mini games. It has everything a "Yakuza" should have.

It is up there with Zero for me.

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. I just hate polls like this where you can't answer truthfully.

This is not a scientifical survey on which RGG Studio game is the best, but a LTTP thread about a game I enjoyed in the moment and wanted to highlight. I suggest the option of using the "Reply" feature to post your eloquent thoughts instead of taking an obvious tongue-in-cheek poll slightly too literally.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a scientifical survey on which RGG Studio game is the best, but a LTTP thread about a game I enjoyed in the moment and wanted to highlight. I suggest the option of using the "Reply" feature to post your eloquent thoughts instead of taking an obvious tongue-in-cheek poll slightly too literally.
Alright man.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really good game but man those Gangs get so tiring and ragged the experience down for me. The tailing missions do have a deflating feeling whenever they pop up too. Enjoyed everything else though, the story was wild. I'd say I prefer 0, Like A Dragon and 6 more though.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I liked it a lot but I'm definitely in the camp who places it in the middle or lower end of the series. I've played all but the Black Panther games so far.

For some reason something about the ending just didn't hit right for me.
I recall the endless gangs really exhausting me too.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Sure. I just hate polls like this where you can't answer truthfully.
Heat bar rising.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it. It has the best combat (imo) and I think the first, I dunno, five or six hours or whatever are really strong, providing me some of the most fun and excitement I've had with any of the Yakuza games. They nail the neo-noir vibe with the filtered Kamurocho (that somehow actually makes the city feel new again!) and those early story beats. The cast is quite likeable and almost everyone get their moment in the sun, though by the end of the game I was frustrated with how the female characters were used. (Or in the case of Mafuyu, just kinda not used.)

I don't think they know how to square mysteries. They're good at starting these stories, but I dunno if they've ever nailed an ending. I found the final third of the game somewhat tedious. The intrigued is lost and most of what's left is padded out confrontations. The final scenes involving the scientist got an eye roll from me.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
It has the best story. Overall, 0, Judgment and Y7 are the best of the whole franchise. I was lucky enough to play thim within a year or so...

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I really want to check this out. Just grabbed Fist of the North Star on sale (I have a lot of nostalgia for Last Battle on the Genesis), and was hoping this would drop below $30 CAD at some point. Even better if they do a 4k 60fps upgrade for this at some point.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
One of the weakest entries to date for me. The start of the game is very painful with all the mechanics being introduced and overall it really takes its time getting the ball rolling. The battle system is an even less interesting take on the Dragon Engine system from 6 and Kiwami 2, which is saying something...

The story is interesting but I feel like very little happens most of the time, and very uneven in the way it's presented to the player - sometimes you feel like a genius watching a band of dummies, some other times they'll show a stupid leap of logic to make the plot progress... Most of the time without any proof, which is okay in Yakuza but more puzzling in a detective/lawyer setting.

I don't hate the game mind you, but as I said I feel like it's really weak...

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
The gif in the OP looks cool until the end when it looks like the attack whiffed completely 😂😂😂

I enjoyed the demo for this, still have to play the full game eventually.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
How heavy/robust is the investigation stuff? That was what made me buy the game, as I'm sort of over just beating the shit out of people for the foreseeable future.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it a lot but it's nowhere near Yakuza 0 for me. Though neither is anything else in that series so far (just started 7 and it may get there).

I didn't care much for the combat in Kiwami 2 since it felt mushy and limited compared to 0/Kiwami 1, but Yagami was pretty fun to play as. I like the wall bounce stuff.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Main story beats are great, probably just behind 0.

But, Yagami is not as good of a protagonist as Kiryu and the side stories aren't as good.

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
Ichiban being such a beloved new MC prevents Judgement from being my favorite one.Zeros still the king but 7s up there imo.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I thought it was alright, but nowhere near my favorite Yakuza. The combat was the best of the dragon engine games though,

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I actually think i's a very good entry in the Yakuza series (although it's not technically part of the series but you know), but the combat was my least favorite part. Really didn't like Yagami's fighting styles. Basically never used Crane and stuck to Tiger the whole time and vastly preferred basically every other Yakuza protagonist's fighting style sans Shinada from Y5.

The story was strong but slow. I liked that it took on a more serious vibe than the other Yakuza titles and having something like Alzheimers and medicine as a major plot point felt very fresh in gaming.

It's the only Yakuza game I've played so far, but I totally loved it. I'm almost afraid to move into the series proper even though I've got copies of 0-6, because I liked Yagami so much that Kiryu is probably going to be a downgrade for me.
Most of the other Yakuza protagonists are on par with or better than Yagami, there's nothing to fear

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Judgment, 0 and 7 are my favorites in the series. Yagami is an incredible protagonist, better than Kiryu's been in most of his games, the combat was the best the brawler games ever had, the side stuff was all great, it looks great, the soundtrack is different and honestly better than the majority of the series.

The tailing stuff is incredibly easy and I don't really know why it gets complaints. Grab the skills for it, ezpz, they take up less time in Judgment than anything the Assassin's Creed series has ever done and it's done a lot better here.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Judgment, 0, and 7 are all perfect entry points into the RGG Studio universe. Newcomers cannot go wrong with any of them.

Fingers crossed Judgment sequels are the continuation of the brawler gameplay while the mainline Yakuza series sticks to it's awesome new JPRG system.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of (if not the) best RGG Studio stories. I absolutely loved this game. I really hope we get a Judgment 2.

Also, I don't really see this as a Yakuza game. Very very similar gameplay wise, but the story is completely stand alone. People can very easily jump into Judgement and understand it completely.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I played Judgment just recently for the first time, and on PS5. Game was smooth. Shame it wasn't 60FPS, but at least was a smooth 30FPS, no drops.
Anyways, game was totally fun. The characters were great, the combat even more, the English cast was excellent too! Here's hoping there's a Judgment 2 someday.