• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Just watched this movie and was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it. I went in kind of blind. I haven't really read into it or anything or seen any trailers but I had heard that there was no "It" or monster and that people felt let down by that,so that may have helped my expectations. But I knew nothing of the story or anything like that. It was a slow burn but i feel like the movie kept me interested and I was really drawn in by the characters.

my initial thoughts from the start when the dad Paul killed and burned the grandfather were that there was a deadly virus of some kind, perhaps zombie related but maybe not. The son Travis was traumatised by the grandfathers death. Then the stranger Will shows up breaking into their house. I didn't believe his story, I thought he knew the guys who ambushed the truck, so already I was feeling the paranoia of the main character.

turns out he was telling the truth about his family, everything seemed ok, but the Travis was having weird nightmares and obviously was a bit off. I was guessing trauma and isolation was taking its toll. then Paul caught Will in a lie so again I thought the new family were untrustworthy.

the dog ran off, Travis' nightmares were getting worse. Travis found the kid in the grandpas room, put him back in his parents room, then heard the noise and alerted his dad and they all came out and found the dog, dead in the house. There was a mystery about who opened the door and about the young boy possibly sleep walking. In my mind I'm trying to figure out if sleepwalking is a symptom of the disease, is the young boy turning and other things.

then both families separate, get paranoid about each other, the young boy is coughing, then they shoot it out. That shit was brutal and really hit me hard. then it ends with Travis getting sick.

so my mind piecing it all together, I think I have it worked out and after looking online I think I'm close to what other people think. Travis was sick with the virus possibly even the whole time, either getting it from the dog or from his grandfather. His nightmares were likely induced by the virus and he was probably sleepwalking in a hallucinogenic state. The young boy may have been infected too, either from Travis, the dog or the grandfathers room, but he may have just had a regular cough. Travis probably opened the door while sleepwalking and maybe even killed the dog. At the end I think everyone was going to get sick.

I liked how the movie subverted my expectations. This was like a reversal of the usual trope where the family stay with the crazy house owners during a virus outbreak and the owners attempt to kill them. Instead we see it from the home owners perspective. The other family may have not been sick at all. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great little gem! A24 marketing didn't do it any favors.

Watch the directors first movie called Krisha. It's a minor masterpiece IMO.
www.rottentomatoes.com

Krisha

Tensions rise at a Thanksgiving gathering when a troubled woman (Krisha Fairchild) reunites with the extended family that she abandoned years earlier.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The marketing fucked this movie over, because it was quite an excellently acted morbid little drama.

Joel Edgerton is severely underrated.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking adored that movie. So, so tense. And the ending is haunting.

Also never forget the racist box art for the home video:

611XOAWiL5L.jpg

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I watched it and I won't watch it again - I love horror and found this to be overwhelmingly disturbing. Almost more of a "despair" movie than a horror film or a thriller - gave me the same feelings from something like The Road.

OP
OP
darz1

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
It's a great little gem! A24 marketing didn't do it any favors.

Watch the directors first movie called Krisha. It's a minor masterpiece IMO.
I will definitely check out Krishna.

I just watched a trailer for It Comes At Night, holy shit what a terrible trailer. Not only does it completely misrepresent the mood of the film, but it totally spoils that the stranger wasn't lying about his family, which really takes out the tension from the whole first act.

Fucking adored that movie. So, so tense. And the ending is haunting.

Also never forget the racist box art for the home video:

611XOAWiL5L.jpg

whoa, what the actual fuck

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I enjoyed it, but I feel it was a little bit rushed at the end. I wanted to see more distrust between the families, more paranoia, more build up to that blow out. I was actually quite shocked when it ended, I thought there was at least another half an hour of the families' relationships breaking down to come. Marketing really seemed to put some people off, which is a shame.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Huge fan of this movie.

The audience reaction to the ending made me feel awful -- almost everyone was audibly pissed.

The most visceral reaction I've seen in a theater

edit: all of the director's films are great

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it in theaters because I was wondering what the "It" was. When I understood the film had no overwhelming monster or force, I was just along for the ride. And that climax........

Yeah, will never watch it again. Good little movie!

OP
OP
darz1

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Watched it in theaters because I was wondering what the "It" was. When I understood the film had no overwhelming monster or force, I was just along for the ride. And that climax........

Yeah, will never watch it again. Good little movie!
Yeah after now seeing the trailer, As a fan of monster horrors I probably would have been pissed too, I'm glad I went in knowing so little about the movie.

OP
OP
darz1

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I enjoyed it, but I feel it was a little bit rushed at the end. I wanted to see more distrust between the families, more paranoia, more build up to that blow out. I was actually quite shocked when it ended, I thought there was at least another half an hour of the families' relationships breaking down to come. Marketing really seemed to put some people off, which is a shame.
I liked that. It felt like the dad had his doubts from the start and then it just snowballed so rapidly at the end. Like there wasn't room to wait and see, it was life and death at every moment. They could have dragged it out to build suspense, but l liked that it just happened so quickly. It felt really real and just hit like a ton. Like it didn't give us a lot of time to dislike the other family or anything.

OP
OP
darz1

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
What am I missing here?
The main families wife and son are black. Instead of having them in the cover they put the wife and child of the other family who stay in the main family's house. That's not his wife and kid on the cover. The black actors don't even have their names on the cover. The main family's son was the main character

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like trying to "figure out" this movie does it a disservice. Not that it's excessively complex or anything, but it's much more about the moment to moment experience of dread than what the plot actually is.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I liked that. It felt like the dad had his doubts from the start and then it just snowballed so rapidly at the end. Like there wasn't room to wait and see, it was life and death at every moment. They could have dragged it out to build suspense, but l liked that it just happened so quickly. It felt really real and just hit like a ton. Like it didn't give us a lot of time to dislike the other family or anything.
That is a very good point actually, and I didn't really think of it like that before. In a situation like they were in, the slightest doubt would indeed probably escalate a situation like that really quickly. Maybe I just wanted more of a good thing, the performances were all so good I may have just wanted to see more of them.

OP
OP
darz1

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I feel like trying to "figure out" this movie does it a disservice. Not that it's excessively complex or anything, but it's much more about the moment to moment experience of dread than what the plot actually is.
I think you are right in that the moment to moment mood is the most important thing. But I read an interview with the director and he said that he knows exactly who got sick first and how it spread, but he wanted the audience to experience it from the eyes of the family, namely Paul and Travis. Which I definitely did, I just find it fun to discuss.

It is ambiguous to a degree but it's not purposefully obtuse in its ambiguity like something like Bird Box. Everything in this story makes sense and has a purpose, we are just made to experience it through Travis and Paul's perspective

That is a very good point actually, and I didn't really think of it like that before. In a situation like they were in, the slightest doubt would indeed probably escalate a situation like that really quickly. Maybe I just wanted more of a good thing, the performances were all so good I may have just wanted to see more of them.
Yeah I can agree with that. The performances were great all around, it made it hard for me to really say any of them were really in the wrong and just added to the harshness of the ending

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Btw you should see Kelvin Harrison Jr in other films. If you want another film that will subvert your expectations, check out Luce.

I still need to see Waves where he reunites with TES.

OP
OP
darz1

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Btw you should see Kelvin Harrison Jr in other films. If you want another film that will subvert your expectations, check out Luce.

I still need to see Waves where he reunites with TES.

Ok, I'm definitely checking for this. That looks really interesting and dude has a great screen presence