• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Inside came out a number of years ago, and it has been on my to-do list for quite some time. For whatever reason, I finally decided to pick it up the other day during the eShop sale since I'd heard that the Switch port was generally flawless.

I was not prepared for how great this game was.

I honestly didn't care for Limbo all that much, but Playdead really outdid themselves with Inside. This game filled me with dread and wonderment in equal measure throughout the entirety of its tightly designed campaign, and the impeccable attention to detail and thick atmosphere left me feeling things that I usually only feel while playing Fumito Ueda's games. As a huge Ueda fan, I give all the kudos in the world to Playdead for taking something akin to his "design by subtraction" philosophy and applying it with such craft and thoughtfulness to every inch of this wonderful game.

inside_01_wide-7721c090ad36d3108fa46ffea71953697ad758b6-s800-c85.png

Inside's art style seems simple in pictures, but in motion it's rich with depth and impressive lighting effects.

Seriously. I know I'm way late to the party here since the game was critically lauded after its release years ago, but I feel like I have to talk to people about what I just played. I've already been digging around for story/ending interpretations online to see how much they align or differ from my own, but aside from deep-dive analysis I'd just like to reach out to other fans of the game who were as impressed as I was whenever and wherever they played it. I'm floored by how polished and well thought-out every moment of Inside was. The environmental puzzle design was so organic and natural while also having a perfectly smooth difficulty curve, and the unique atmosphere of this dark world is so effectively communicated through the game's art style. The atmosphere is so well realized that there were several moments in the game when I felt genuine terror as various horrors and/or environmental hazards threatened to end my under-aged avatar's life violently and with little hesitation.

I don't know what else to say other than it was one of the most memorable games I've played in years and I'd love to discuss it further with others on ERA. Please spoiler tag any story analysis that you post in this thread, however. This game's underlying metaphors and ambiguous plot are so important to a new player's experience that I'd hate to have that accidentally spoiled despite the game's age.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
One of the most polished interactive experiences ever made bar none. Also an incredibly satisfying finale with insane visuals. A perfectly concise, 'fat free' game that is more then the sum of its parts, and enjoyable from start to finish. A true labor of love.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, this is one of the very few games I'd feel comfortable labeling a masterpiece. Basically flawless from the opening seconds all the way to the end. Brilliant.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I've been playing it the last days thanks to Origin Premier I got for Fallen Order and it's quite fun and has gorgeous scenery and scenes.
Definitely enjoying it a lot.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Lots of people talk about the ending, but to me, the absolutely defining moment of the game is toward the middle:

When you're figuring out how to guide around the 20+ zombie dudes, and all the while, there's this disconcerting rhythmic thumping going on in the music / soundtrack.

If you go all the way to the right in that sequence, the thumping gets so strong in literally knocks your character over.

The suspense of that moment, building to what that thing was, what was causing the noise....incredile.

But then the reveal of what's actually going on - just how insanely powerful this....machine....is, was breathtaking.

And then you go through the sequence with that machine, and get to the point where all the sound effects die out and you're just left with the haunting soundtrack.

God damn. Every time someone reminds me of this game I need to replay the entire thing.

Mar 29, 2018
It's phenomenal.

I like the interpretation that the whole thing is about "play" and the structure of videogames.

You are always going right, and only right. While the world is open, the game is a railroad.

There have been many dead boys who failed. You are just another one.

Your ending is always predetermined, always part of the railroad. See the part where, as the blob, you land on the diorama in front of the audience (the diorama being the ending scene of the blob in the sunshine).

Also OP I don't know if you're aware of the secret uber-puzzle in the game, but in case you want to look into it yourself, a new spoiler tag:

Then you find the secret trapdoor room where the "simulation" is being played over and over again... The whole thing becoming even more meta and self referential

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True story: I beat the game back when it was released and had my ex gf play it the next day. She found the hatch in the cornfield all by her lonesome and it blew my mind.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
In my top 3 games of all time. Incredibly polished, but perhaps too polished so as to be soulless. Impressively sinister and oppressive such that there are some replays where I felt I couldn't finish it all the way despite how short it is. Cane and Rinse's podcast discussion on this game is really good and something you might want to check out if you want to explore what it does really well. Here: https://caneandrinse.com/inside-378/

Gareth Damian Martin of Heterotopias charted the trajectory of your movement from start to finish as part of his magnificent study on this game and it really enriches the game's thematic and tonal texture.

KyahL5j.jpg

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Love this game. It is a true masterpiece of gaming. Bought it on Xbox One and Switch. Was a delight to play undocked with headphones.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The game pisses me off because it's a collection of suggestive motifs that I think are just high falutin art based on loose inspiration where the only connecting tissue is its mood. It's like Limbo and I can see how anyone can appreciate it for creating that audiovisual tone that is very specific, but for a game that suggests so much story, I feel like the game ends up being about nothing. It felt like no particular presented motif had any intention or secret to unravel. Instead it's just "higher art" in that typical "what did you interpret" fashion, but I can't let go of the idea that probably no one in the dev team can explain their intentions.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most memorable games ever, an artistic masterpiece like few others. Excellent storyline and an incredible audiovisual way to convey it. The ending and the secret ending haunt me to this day.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The game pisses me off because it's a collection of suggestive motifs that I think are just high falutin art based on loose inspiration where the only connecting tissue is its mood. It's like Limbo and I can see how anyone can appreciate it for creating that audiovisual tone that is very specific, but for a game that suggests so much story, I feel like the game ends up being about nothing. It felt like no particular presented motif had any intention or secret to unravel. Instead it's just "higher art" in that typical "what did you interpret" fashion, but I can't let go of the idea that probably no one in the dev team can explain their intentions.

I also disliked the game for this reason. The puzzles are okay, but the story seem to be entirely reliant on fan theories instead of having anything planned. I'm fine with "what do you think it meant?" but only if the creator also has a set answer for that question.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I also disliked the game for this reason. The puzzles are okay, but the story seem to be entirely reliant on fan theories instead of having anything planned. I'm fine with "what do you think it meant?" but only if the creator also has a set answer for that question.
Yeah, like, Death of the Author and everything taken for granted. I know stories live and die by their reception and not what was intended ultimately, but sometimes you can tell the author didn't have any specific message they were aiming for, and it just becomes highfalutin high-level artistry.

When I think of Inside I don't think of some hidden message or a deeper meaning we all have to find either in the game our in ourselves based on what it evoked (though I appreciate those that got something constructive from it personally) I think of artists being allowed to come up with whatever motif they felt like, for no particular rhyme or reason other than "We want an oppressive atmosphere in moody dark colors." I think the biggest challenge of telling stories for video games is how much you have to rely on a team to fulfill a cohesive vision. The only cohesion I can see in this game is its style and its motifs, I just question the theme and motivation behind any of what is on display.

And to me that doesn't get a free pass. This is some kind of underdeveloped story.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, like, Death of the Author and everything taken for granted. I know stories live and die by their reception and not what was intended ultimately, but sometimes you can tell the author didn't have any specific message they were aiming for, and it just becomes highfalutin high-level artistry.

When I think of Inside I don't think of some hidden message or a deeper meaning we all have to find either in the game our in ourselves based on what it evoked (though I appreciate those that got something constructive from it personally) I think of artists being allowed to come up with whatever motif they felt like, for no particular rhyme or reason other than "We want an oppressive atmosphere in moody dark colors." I think the biggest challenge of telling stories for video games is how much you have to rely on a team to fulfill a cohesive vision. The only cohesion I can see in this game is its style and its motifs, I just question the theme and motivation behind any of what is on display.

And to me that doesn't get a free pass. This is some kind of underdeveloped story.

On the other hand, I loved the game because it moves like a poem. It behaves and suggests like a poem would, and that approach is what ultimately allows it to experiment with the 2D puzzle-platformer as it does. It also allows for that elusive nightmare feeling that I only ever found in one other game (P.T.) and I'll take that even if it means that the story won't hold in the most concrete, most literal reading. Other than that, it has enough motifs and repeating structures for me to able to say that there is a perverse logic as much as there are leaps in logic when looking at its segments as parts of a whole. Limbo felt the same and more straightforward, and the only interpretation I'm still not confident about with that game is the hotel, though Arnt Jensen has gone on record to concede that the community pretty much got that game's story down pat.

This game is just too polished and too deliberate and spent too much time in development to just be blobs of ideas hurled at the wall and then going with what sticks.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Limbo didn't do much for me either but Inside is definitely one of my games of the generation. Just perfection.
It's phenomenal.

I like the interpretation that the whole thing is about "play" and the structure of videogames.

You are always going right, and only right. While the world is open, the game is a railroad.

There have been many dead boys who failed. You are just another one.

Your ending is always predetermined, always part of the railroad. See the part where, as the blob, you land on the diorama in front of the audience (the diorama being the ending scene of the blob in the sunshine).

Also OP I don't know if you're aware of the secret uber-puzzle in the game, but in case you want to look into it yourself, a new spoiler tag:

Then you find the secret trapdoor room where the "simulation" is being played over and over again... The whole thing becoming even more meta and self referential
That first point is exactly what my mind was drawn to as soon as the credits rolled.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I think the time to double dip on this game has arrived, I bet it will look lovely on my Lite.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The game was fine I guess, but I'm not smart enough to get involved in fan theories and all that. I'm very much a gameplay first person, like a glorified bonobo with joy-cons.
I still enjoyed the overall atmosphere and the tension, but I wish that they would have explained more about what's going on.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit I remember hearing about this game and being super excited as I loved Limbo, how the fuck did I miss that it came out in August 18 lol. Well I know what I'm doing tonight :)

Forthose who played both, how does it compare to Limbo?

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Holy shit I remember hearing about this game and being super excited as I loved Limbo, how the fuck did I miss that it came out in August 18 lol. Well I know what I'm doing tonight :)

Forthose who played both, how does it compare to Limbo?

It's Limbo but polished to an exceptional shine and wrapped up in a sinister and oppressive package. Interpreting what it all means is less straightforward than that title, too.

Yeah well, but that's what it still feels like to me. You can get away with so much simply by being highly polished and well painted by seeming artistic.

Well, to each their own. Just thought I'd put my two cents in.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I remember starting the game and I just kept playing until I finished it. It blew me away. Its a short but sweet experience. It left a memorable impression on me and I think I will double dip for Switch to experience it again.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. It was better at conveying messages than Limbo. It was rare that I was confused.

I fell in love from the first sequences with the men and the dogs.

assambop

Dec 4, 2017
I remember being completely floored after playing Inside. I didn't fully grasp the storyline (and to be honest I'm not dying to know) but it was satisfying enough just to experience all the strange scenarios. Inside is rare in that it reminded me more of music or poetry than for example a movie. It hit me on a subconscious emotional level, and it did that while being genuinely fun to play. And from a technical standpoint it's also incredibly polished. I need to buy it on Switch again.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
It's Limbo but polished to an exceptional shine and wrapped up in a sinister and oppressive package. Interpreting what it all means is less straightforward than that title, too.
Music to my ears :) glad I pick my Switch to work everyday, already bought and downloaded, can't wait to dive in tonight

Edit : god damn it the switch version is 30 fps lol. Its on me for not checking lol, oh well it doesnt really matter for this game it seems

Last edited: