• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Those Arcade games of Initial D look awesome actually. Saw this dude on youtube playing them and showing off his skills and apparently the games had some hidden mechanics and goddamn it looked awesome.
I have Initial D Extreme Stage on the PS3 and it's a hard but satisfying game.

Wish I could've tried the Joyopolis version where they had the "actual" cars as the cabinets:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
That ending song is still burn into my brain after all these years, I forgot about 90% of the story yet the music still there lol

Feb 16, 2018
i liked it. it's like a weird 1990s/2000s period piece. a lot of the characters lives' and motivations seem somewhat plausible. idk how authentic it is with respect to life in japan, but the characters felt pretty well-done compared to most shows about that age group

i also can't help but love that they essentially ended up making a show that revolves around strategy and tactics and individuals' various strengths and weaknesses, even if most of the races are kind of fake. i'm not really into cars or japanese culture or anime, but i'm a huge fan of competitive strategy games so i found a lot to like

the eurobeat music has to be the best part though. i went and found hundreds of hours of that stuff after this show. BPM is insane. no idea if it actually works as disco/dance music or whatever its intended purpose was, but it's great for exercising

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

OP
OP
Funkybee

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Honestly I never thought that an arcade game could have this type of depth mechanics/techniques wise.
This guy explains them properly and I can imagine the time/patience needed to actually achieve high time scores.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Honestly I never thought that an arcade game could have this type of depth mechanics/techniques wise.
This guy explains them properly and I can imagine the time/patience needed to actually achieve high time scores.

I used to go to golf land arcade and just play initial D with my buddies on the weekend when I was back in high school. They don't have it anymore they have a different one now which is fun but not as good as initial d

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Coincidentally, Australians can now import Daiki's EK9 Type-R. The end of an era, the last generation of B16 Type-Rs.

imgrc0075328315.jpg

Added to the SEVS list a week ago. JDM imports are one of the things I really miss about Australia.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Still one my favorite anime ever, especially thanks to the godlike OST.
I actually need to make some time to re-watch it this year!

I have actually been reading the manga all the way through for the first time, as I had mostly just picked up random volumes over the years.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Unbelievably good to the point it is rewatchable in a way DBZ isn't rewatchable.

Out of a whole bunch of anime going over other past times and hobbies only Initial D increased my enthusiasm to learn more about driving and cars which is all the more ironic because I already like to cook but I wasn't even more motivated to learn more from cooking shows.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it a few days ago. As others have said it's absolutely fantastic until Project D starts. The whole saga is like throwing Takumi under the bus by making him win by luck instead of skill while Keisuke still wins by skill mostly. They toyed around with the idea of him replicating the one-handed driving style and showed him learning stuff with the Subaru but that went nowhere.

My favourite race has to be the one against Shingo. The way Takumi anticipates Shingo is going to collide with him and dodges it, with Shingo busting out his car while the ending for S1 starts to play is nothing short of fantastic.

Also poor Natsuki. Takumi, baka :(. I understand he felt betrayed but in the end Natsuki was a victim.

I'd totally buy a high end wheel to play those arcades. They have almost all the OST from the anime.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I was really into the game and manga. Then tried the original anime and boy is it kinda hard to watch. Haven't tried the more modern OVAs though.

But damn, I looooooovvveeeee the games. Shame UK arcades no longer have the game anymore. Been listening to the music a lot recently too.

Edit: Oh god, the EN dub is awful, avoid it!

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I love the series, brings back memories of uni. My second car being an import 96 Impreza was heavily influenced by this show. The R32 Nakazato race in S1 was the one that hooked me. Good times.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I had heard about this but never actually seen footage of the OP or dubbed show itself.

Now I really wish it had stayed that way.
Haha, it's pretty horrid. I believe they renamed Takumi to Tak and a bunch of other crazy renames. Almost everyone also spoke with a weird southern twang. xD

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Haha, it's pretty horrid. I believe they renamed Takumi to Tak and a bunch of other crazy renames. Almost everyone also spoke with a weird southern twang. xD
The localization of Initial D V3 does the same thing. They call Natsuke Natalie, Itsuki Iggy, etcetera etcetera.

I finished it a few days ago. As others have said it's absolutely fantastic until Project D starts. The whole saga is like throwing Takumi under the bus by making him win by luck instead of skill while Keisuke still wins by skill mostly. They toyed around with the idea of him replicating the one-handed driving style and showed him learning stuff with the Subaru but that went nowhere.

My favourite race has to be the one against Shingo. The way Takumi anticipates Shingo is going to collide with him and dodges it, with Shingo busting out his car while the ending for S1 starts to play is nothing short of fantastic.

Also poor Natsuki. Takumi, baka :(. I understand he felt betrayed but in the end Natsuki was a victim.
She made her bed and she lied in it, Takumi was 100% in the right. The movie ended the same way.

OP
OP
Funkybee

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Up to this day, I still don't understand what were they thinking when they inserted that hip-hop-ish OST...Initial D without Eurobeat is just NOT Initial D.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been watching this again through the Funimation YouTube channel. Those early races still give me goosebumps and yeah the corny music is like such a key part of what makes Initial D great lol

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
No anime will ever have a better OST. It's just not possible. Also, the whole thing is an outstanding period piece that really only fits into that window of the late 90s. If you go in with that understanding you'll have a better experience.

Do NOT touch the (relatively) recent movie/OVA style content. They turn it all into a fucking high school drama. The first 3 seasons are what you want to watch. Maaaybe season 4. Avoid the dubs.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
I was huge fan of the early seasons. But I lost the interest at point when breaks between seasons and OVAs started to stretch to over a year. I did just re-watch the first seasons so I guess I could continue on. I still found the first season great, it had it's own charm.