• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
the chain dash is unnecessarily hard to execute and doesn't even seem to have any real purpose other than for two secrets in the training area and some secrets in the worlds.
The chain dash is the most memorable thing about the game for me. I think I used this video to figure it out. It's like you're revving it up for the first few dashes, then keeping a constant rhythm once you hit full speed to keep it going. I found it kind of addicting trying to maintain it to speed through areas. Super fun movement tech when you get it down.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The chain dash is the most memorable thing about the game for me. I think I used this video to figure it out. It's like you're revving it up for the first few dashes, then keeping a constant rhythm once you hit full speed to keep it going. I found it kind of addicting trying to maintain it to speed through areas. Super fun movement tech when you get it down.
I can get it going.
biggest problem are the analog stick controlls.
but I just don't know what you need it for during your playthrough.
when will you ever chain dash at maximum level when fighting enemies or bosses?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I gave it a shot when it came to EGS but I quickly dropped it. There was nothing in it holding my interest whatsoever. :\

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
One of my favourites. Initially was turned off as the game looked too difficult for me, but just had to play it as the visuals and soundtrack were too good.

Finished and loved it. One of the best pixel art, tight controls, music and sound effects in a game. Love how the story is told too.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great game, the mysterious atmosphere and dark storytelling is excellent.

Can't wait for their next game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I loved the soundtrack, the atmosphere and some of the exploration but ultimately thought there were a few too many rough edges for me. There's something about the combat that consistently felt slightly 'stiff' and uncomfortable and whatever that map system is, it irritated the hell out of me.

I had a very similar experience with Hollow Knight where I completely see what they were doing and going for, felt like they almost hit greatness but my various small gripes ended up mounting into frustration.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I tried playing this awhile back and had a similar reaction to many ITT - loved the style, atmosphere, music, storytelling and even the opaque map was interesting in a "figure it out" kind of way. But I also hit a wall on the difficulty not too far in - the first main area in the east, I believe. I just could not get a handle on the timing of the combos. I felt like it was playing an action game like Bayonetta (which my brain and thumbs just cannot handle).

I have considered restarting on easy. Anyone here play it on easy and have a good experience? I would like to complete it.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
One of the best games of the generation. I can't believe we got Hyper Light Drifter, INSIDE, and SUPERHOT in the same year. Such an awesome year for indies.

Oct 27, 2017
I got lost. Returned to it after an age away. Thought I'd found my way but it turned out I'd backtracked to the start of the area I was in. Fun!

But seriously, other than that, I thought it was a very well made game.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I hope their next game also has a Soundtrack by Disasterpeace. Binged the game, loved it! Some serious Dark Souls fighting skills required though, did not expect that when going in.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
game is growing on me. lol

map is still crap. :D and chain dash is only used to get to secrets. :/
and the difficulty and respawn points can be frustrating at time.

cleared the 4th world just now and will start with the end game tomorrow.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love the game. Wish the dashes were slightly more forgiving and there wasn't a trophy for an 800 dash chain but aside from that the game is a masterpiece

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Absolutely love this game! It's up there with HUNTDOWN as one of my favorite pixel-art indie games... games that feel like they were made just for me.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Great game. Terrible Mega Man ZX tier map, but it's a small complaint unless you're going for completion.

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
The map is not great indeed. But that seems to be by design. Lost of metroidvanias have difficult, obtuse maps, so you have to do the heavy lifting through exploring rather than knowing clearly where you should go. But i do agree this is a negative to the game.

I'm a big fan of this game. The controls feel so good. The art is great and music is fantastic. But the dashing is all weird and imprecise sometimes. And my main issue with the game is the bosses are just too difficult. Well some of them. The North boss the bird one, is just really really difficult imo.

Like the regular bits of the game aren't that difficult and then you get to the boss and its just impossible. The dashing doesn't feel precise enough. Its a shame i wish I could beat the boss and continue, because I was genuinely loving the game.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Absolutely.

I backed it in Kickstarter - remember when that was a thing? - and was blown away with it

It's a shame there's no sequel in the works just yet but looking forward to his new game

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
I just started it and I love a lot about it, but there are toooo many branching paths, so it's driving me a little bonkers

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fantastic. One of my favorite games of the last 5 years for sure.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I really love the game. Wish the dashes were slightly more forgiving and there wasn't a trophy for an 800 dash chain but aside from that the game is a masterpiece
You can cheese that challenge on pc with mouse and keyboard controls.
So you only have to tab the space-bar 800 times.
Even that I can't do. :D Only got to around 200 a few times.
On Youtube that one guy got casually to over 1000. With also navigating around the room with an analog stick.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't click for me the first time, but I recently tried it again and, boy, did it click. I love the pace of the combat, all the little hidden things in the world, its aesthetic, its soundtrack and the general mood of the game. Captivating. I'd like to return to it eventually for a playthrough on hard or with the alt character.

The map is indeed perhaps a little too pictographic to be of much practical use, but once you get a feel for how to read it, it usually gets the job done. I stopped having issues with the map after a while.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I bought it on my iPhone ages ago, and it wasn't until recently that I tried it - I'm absolutely loving it! And that's with touch controls.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can cheese that challenge on pc with mouse and keyboard controls.
So you only have to tab the space-bar 800 times.
Even that I can't do. :D Only got to around 200 a few times.
On Youtube that one guy got casually to over 1000. With also navigating around the room with an analog stick.
I think in managed somewhere between 500-700 on PS4 a while ago and after that I gave up. It's tedious and it was so damn disheartening

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
it's probably my favorite "Zelda-like" that isn't Zelda.

I plan to do a rare replay on PS4 or PS5 at some point (played through on Switch originally and the performance was not great when the action got very intense).

Last edited:

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
One of my favorites. I love the obtuse weirdness mixed with tough but fair combat. Reminds me of the original Zelda. I should replay it again soon.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never beat the final boss but I REALLY enjoyed the exploration and world design. Combat was imprecise because of the awful "momentum" dash mechanic and some encounters reward cheesy strats thanks to high enemy volume.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Loved it.
Oh wow... I guess I didn't understood either then. I thought the upgrade allows you to dash 3 times.
Well...

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
beat it and collected everything other then the two outfits for dashing 800 and beating the Areanas.

game really grew on me.
would like more. lol

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It's a really good game.

But it annoys that some things are poorly explained, like the outfits for example.

If it wasn't for the wiki I'd have no idea that they grant you different bonus, and that you just need to equip a single piece of the outfit to have access to it (which means you can have 3).

It's been some years since I've played it, but iirc none of this is explained in-game.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's a really good game.

But it annoys that some things are poorly explained, like the outfits for example.

If it wasn't for the wiki I'd have no idea that they grant you different bonus, and that you just need to equip a single piece of the outfit to have access to it (which means you can have 3).

It's been some years since I've played it, but iirc none of this is explained in-game.
took me way to long to learn, that you could 3 different pieces from all sets.

Last edited: