• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Last summer I went on a little adventure, finally going through some of Miyazaki's catalogue for the first time ever. In doing so, I found one of my favorite directors ever (Miyazaki), one of my favorite movies ever (Spirited Away), and found a piece of lost youthfulness that came back to me, if only for a moment (My Neighbor Totoro).

I finally got around to watching Howl's Moving Castle, which was next on my list. This one definitely felt like the wild card among his filmography. Unsurprisingly, the characters absolutely shine in this, evoking compassion and charm that are just signature Miyazaki. Oh and that score...that beautiful score; this might be my favorite composition by Joe Hisaishi, and that's saying something.

If I had any critiques in particular, it's that the story as a whole didn't really come together for me? It felt like 2 hours of incredible set pieces that were just kinda there on there own. I don't know, maybe someone could help tie it together for me, because I didn't see the big picture. Thematically, I loved the take on old age. This is something that is usually perceived as a negative, but the movie does a wonderful job of showing all the qualities that come with it, despite the obvious drawbacks that so many of us are afraid of.

What say you, Era? Where you do put Howl's Moving Castle among Miyazaki's other movies? Did you love it / enjoy it / hate it?

Edit - Ohh, I almost forgot (somehow). This movie was GORGEOUS. Good lord, the landscapes were absolutely breathtaking.
ca7f367d475b860bcc9365dd54f28a63.png

CMy8zk7UEAACy49.jpg

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was one of the weaker Ghibli films when I first saw it, but your impressions make me want to revisit it. At the time, the characters felt flat and the story seemed forgettable. The theme of old age will probably resonate more with me now than it did ten years ago.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't wrong. It's widely regarded as one of Miyazaki's sloppier works, especially in the second half. I think it's fantastic despite that though.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
First time I watched it I loved it, 2nd watch I enjoyed it but I think the dub might've rubbed me the wrong way. Is the Japanese sub worth checking out?

OP
OP
HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
First time I watched it I loved it, 2nd watch I enjoyed it but I think the dub might've rubbed me the wrong way. Is the Japanese sub worth checking out?
I really enjoyed the subbed version. I actually just went to check out a certain clip of the movie and it just so happened to be the dubbed version - I had zero idea Christian Bale would be the voice I heard lol. That probably would have been so jarring for me for some reason, even if the dub was good.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
People online (at least here) seem to be pretty lukewarm on it if I recall previous discussions...but personally it's my fave.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think you had a similar experience to me when I watched it. I kept expecting it to go somewhere grander and more interesting than it did but it doubled down on the weird Howl love story.

It's hard to dislike a movie that's otherwise as gorgeous and inventive as it is, though.

I'm slowly working my way through the Ghibli filmography but my top three are Princess Mononoke, Only Yesterday, and Totoro (still a childhood favorite). Nausicaa was incredible too, and I really liked Poppy Hill. Spirited Away was amazing but it's the only Ghibli film 'not' to make me cry.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I love this movie so much. It's probably not as good as Spirited Away, Mononoke, or Nausicaa but it's still up there for me, and Howl is one of my favorite characters out of all of Miyazaki's films. 🙏

Been thinking about these films lately, I should give 'em a rewatch soon.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
Arguably his weakest film, there's a lack of cohesion and rhythm that really hurts especially when compared to his other works. That being said, it's pretty solid with some wonderful moments.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The music was good, but I had a hard time understanding the story. Later I read the novel the movie was based on and it made much more sense. The movie cut out a lot of important parts.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
It is one of the most gorgeous animated movies out there. The way the castle moves is so well done.

Oct 8, 2019
one of his weaker films, the main problem is that he took a book about someone learning how to be young and enjoy life, and then rammed in commentary about the Iraq War where Howl now opposes Lady Dick Cheney whose going to war for reasons that are explained in the background of one scene, and then the war immediately ends when they find the missing prince. For a subplot that takes over the actual plot of the story, it ultimately says very little about the Iraq War.

Another anime came out in 2004 that did a much better job talking about the horrors of the Iraq War, how the Bush administration used racism to advance their cause, and how America is controlled by the military industrial complex, and that show is Gundam Seed Destiny, a show widely hated in the west.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Its a Weird one. It's its busiest work visually but also most ambitious, it tends to go over the top in colors usage and overall aesthetics in many places but its also its most epic in animation, thematics and scale.

Narration wise it's also all over the place and feels like a mix and match of older movies but still feels so personal with Sophie's story of newly found aging body and lifestyle.

It feels unfocused and yet it has the most touching moments. Its a very high and low movie but I love it for that feeling of being a sort of Myazaki's darkest all star movie.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
When I was younger, I always liked this film. More for the visuals, animation and music than for the actual plot.

I like it less now that I've read the book and have watched more Ghibli films, though the movie still makes me nostalgic. I mean, damn, I was still in school (and into anime) when this movie first released (I just cannot believe that was 16 years ago)

The music was good, but I had a hard time understanding the story. Later I read the novel the movie was based on and it made much more sense. The movie cut out a lot of important parts.

Agreed with this. I always thought I was a dumb kid for not getting the movie's plot. No, the book actually makes sense, the movie just doesn't explain itself that well

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like it a lot but it is a bit less well structured than his other classics. I feel they struggled to adapt the novel it's based on into the running time personally.

It either needed to be given more time (which I'm sure is a challenge when that means drawing the additional content vs extra shooting days) or more revisions.

Thematically I agree though; I noticed both my children on later rewatches liked it much better and appreciated the commentary on age and how you can remain young of mind even within an aging body.

Spirited Away and Totoro remain my absolute favourites so I'll give them the name check.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It's gorgeous film, I give Miyazaki that...

But not enjoyable enough to Mononoke or Spirited Away.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
iirc, doesn't Miyazaki completely deviate from the book during the second half of the film, which is why the narrative is so all over the place?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I actually ranked them last January when The Guardian did their own ranked list. Feels like a lifetime ago now...
For me:

22. Arrietty (2010)
21. My Neighbours the Yamadas (1999)
20. Only Yesterday (1991)
19. From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
18. Ocean Waves (1993)
17. Pom Poko (1994)
16. When Marnie Was There (2014)
15. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
14. Whisper of the Heart (1995)
13. The Wind Rises (2013)
12. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) (one of those films where I recognise how good it is but it's too depressing for me)
11. The Cat Returns (2002)
10. Ponyo (2008)
9. Tales from Earthsea (2006)
8. My Neighbour Totoro (1988)
7. Princess Mononoke (1997)
6. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)
5. Porco Rosso (1992)
4. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
2. Spirited Away (2001)
1. Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986)
0. Castle of Cagliostro (1979) (Not Ghibli, is Miyazaki, is perhaps the greatest animated film ever)

It didn't really click that well with me when I saw it in the cinema. Haven't seen it again since though, so I'm probably due a rewatch

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like it but it's not my favorite. Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Laputa, and Spirited Away are my top 5.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm with you there. It just didn't come together at the end. It's still very enjoyable and charming.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I love it. Right up there with the best. It was also the first Ghibli I saw so I hold it in high regard for that.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Just watched it a few weeks ago on hbo max. Really liked it but the story was confusing in some parts; I ended up reading the book for more context.

Artwork is beautiful and it's very cute. Plus Billy Crystal as calcifer! That alone gets major points

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because it was the first Ghibli film I saw, but I absolutely love it. It's definitely trapped in a nostalgia hole for me, so while I definitely understand critiques, I don't feel the same way as others. I just love it so much from start to finish.

But then again I don't really care that much for Ponyo and people really flip for that one, so maybe my taste is just bad lol.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
IT's beautiful, as always you can put atmosphere and metaphers above the actual plot and you'll be fine. Ponyo is another favourite of mine. <3

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The book is great. There are some things in that book about Howl that I find really interesting, like the scene that reveals
he's just some guy from ordinary Wales.

The movie is...good. There are simple reasons to enjoy the movie (the animation, the music, certain scenes), but the book really does feel like it has more time to work through everything going on.

At the very least, the movie is a good companion to the book, and doesn't feel incompatible with it.

Last edited:

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Two things kinda ill defined: the war going on in the background, but to me thats how its supposed to be. The strife and outside forces are kind of vague but still influencing the characters. That and the end, no spoilers, where you just have to roll with it and go "ok, thats what happened" from Sophie's perspective.

We rewatch this one a lot at my house and some of the imagery makes it worth it every time. The spell that removes powers with the dancing sprites always creeps me out.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I felt that everything about the war is vague is really the point. There is no reason, no good or bad in war. It's just an all consuming destructive force on its own. Or something the like.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely beautiful movie. it kiki's and totoro are probably my top 3 miyazaki movies. sophie is such a lovely character and I mean, calcifer, cmonnnnn

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think its the best Ghibli film, but I think it's the one that I go back to the most. I really enjoyed the book it was based on as well, though of course it has a ton of differences.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was always at the bottom for me in terms of Miyazaki movies. I rewatched it last year and I liked it a liiiitle better than I did before. Not awful, but still bottom of the barrel.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Gorgeous movie in almost every way, but echo on the sloppiness. It's one of my lower tier Ghibli with Earthsea, Kaguya, and Pom Poko.