• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
My read of this thread is that to many people here, Ubisoft style means Bad, and HZD is Not Bad, therefore is not Ubisoft style.

Let's not pretend thats not exactly how this thread was made and the type of responses it was looking to get. And yes, Ubisoft game are mostly open world bloat fest that feel designed by committee.

Its not a compliment

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
HZD is so far from an Ubi game it's not even funny. It literally has one of the best stories in any piece of fiction ever. Compared to Ubisoft gutter trash stories.
Pray to god your trolling.
Story is average at best and the gameplay was whatever until near the end.
Was a cool game but not very replayable.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021
Not the same thing lol
BOTW let's you climb and go anywhere and the exploration is done differently. And the "no indicators" is a huge change in gameplay.

Haven't played HZD tho, but comparing BOTW to Ubi games just because of towers is dumb lol

But that's the best part. Ubisoft has "pioneered"so much of the modern open-worlds game design that it's impossible to avoid.

The trend of having collectibles strewn in the open world was popularized by ubisoft.

Emphasis on traversal such as climbing.

Using towers to unlock parts of the map.

Open ended mission design that allows multiple approaches.

"Dynamic" and "emergent" gameplay such as being able to set things on fire or wild animals.

And so much more I'm probably not even thinking of.

Like the only other open world games at the time where fairly static. Like aside from cops gta was largely mission based. Bethesda and rockstar is the only other "types" I can think of that managed to do its own thing.

Almost every other open world game will have traces of ubisoft DNA. It is undeniable. That includes botw or whatever darling you can come up with.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
HZD is so far from an Ubi game it's not even funny. It literally has one of the best stories in any piece of fiction ever. Compared to Ubisoft gutter trash stories.

The story was fine, this is crazy hyperbole.

I think the issue here is the critical vocab employed is just... crap. 'Ubi' defines a set of open world tropes that generally work well and are engaging, albeit with varying degrees of success. HZD absolutely uses them, this is undeniable. That isn't enough though, as HZD also has a good story (at least the historic stuff, contemporary world was less engaging) and cool dinos. 'Ubi' just becomes a reductive, thoughtless slogan that allows people to pivot into crazy negative or positive hyperbole.

I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was anything particularly novel or superlative. The dinos were very cool tho.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
And in Ubi defense, they dont get 6 years to develop and fine tune their games like the Sony first party games do. At their core they absolutely bite things from Ubisoft, the difference is that the Sony output is just way more polished

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021
Laughable to say it's "so far from an Ubi game". The core of the gameplay and open world design (mechanically) is very generic and not really new at all, very similar to Ubisoft games, even if the story and art is interesting.

You just described almost any new open world game.

Like I can break down how almost everything in BOTW was pulled from somewhere. Mainly far Cry.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I think Horizon is still way better than any Ubi open world game from last gen (mainly due to the good combat mechanics and more interesting setting), but it's undeniable that it's basically a highly polished Ubisoft game. If it was called Far Cry: Horizon I wouldn't even suspect it wasn't made by Ubi.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I agree it has that pointless npc quest thing that ubi games do so badly.. BotW and this came out around the same time (maybe same day) like BotW immensely over HZD.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
HZD was more focused than the average Ubisoft game, however the world felt dead by comparison. Ubisoft shines when it comes to constructing open worlds that feel alive. Only Rockstar surpasses them in that respect. I love walking around in games like Watch Dogs 2 and AC Origins and simply observe NPCs going about their day and shit. You can also fuck with them and get into all kinda shenanigans which is always fun.

With HZD it's more about going from one objective to the next and enjoying the story and dope combat. The city and towns in HZD were boring as fuck, and the NPCs didn't really do shit. It was really fun getting the robo dinos to fight each other though.
This can be said about all three of Sony Studios attempts at open worlds tbh. Like the fact that you can see stuff like this while just wandering around in an AC game is crazy:
WbaSCYF.gif

b2Kszb9.gif

Uyoy6Qp.gif

CHNh9DX.gif

As you said it's really only surpassed by npc animations and behaviors in Rockstar Games like Red Dead 2. On the surface level GoT, Horizon, and Days Gone are all beautiful but that beauty only makes me wish we could have even more like the above instead of like, Horizon npcs carrying boxes to a preset location in the towns and/or generally standing mostly still.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This is disrespectful to Ubisoft. HZD was dead. Like one of the most dead and lifeless worlds I've played last gen. There was more world interactivity in Assassin's Creed III. If you're going to make and open world game, you have to you know…make a living world. Guerrilla absolutely failed point blank at that aspect. Sure HZD played better than Ubisoft games in some aspects, but that's not enough to say it's way better. And honestly with Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla that's not even true anymore.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
This can be said about all three of Sony Studios attempts at open worlds tbh. Like the fact that you can see stuff like this while just wandering around in an AC game is crazy:

As you said it's really only surpassed by npc animations and behaviors in Rockstar Games like Red Dead 2. On the surface level GoT, Horizon, and Days Gone are all beautiful but that beauty only makes me wish we could have even more like the above instead of like, Horizon npcs carrying boxes to a preset location in the towns and/or generally standing mostly still.

Yeah honestly Ubisoft surpasses Rockstar in some aspects, especially when it comes to jam packing the world with little scripted "events" like you showed in those gifs. I think where Rockstar shines is how the NPCs react to the player's actions in entertaining ways.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think HZD had any business continuing when Days Gone didn't get the same chance.
Certainly HZD looks a hundred times more interesting than Ubisofts next games in 2055, and the tired ass ideas around Days Gone, but that's about as far as it gets.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
That was my impression too. Combat is different enough but the whole map and busy-ness of it all screamed Ubisoft design.

But the world was way, way worse. Boring and annoying to traverse for the most part. The story is interesting thought.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
HZD wishes it could match Ubisoft's games. And I say that as someone who doesn't even particularly like Ubisoft's games.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it's inspired by far cry3 like most open world games this Gen including botw. There is no denying that.

But thats where the similarities end. It plays more like linear game in open world setting that's why people like it much more

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I only made it about 5 or 6 hours into the game. I like the setting, but even the story wasn't enough to keep me playing. I don't tend to make it through repetitive open world games.

I have never beat an Assassin's Creed or Far Cry game for example. I will try any game though. I tend to stick to games that are driven non-stop by their story. When it strays into fetch or crafting territory I tend to lose interest.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
i wish it had climbing like ubisoft games

that color coded climable shit only works in linear games

thank god the sequel fixed that

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I only made it about 5 or 6 hours into the game. I like the setting, but even the story wasn't enough to keep me playing. I don't tend to make it through repetitive open world games.

I have never beat an Assassin's Creed or Far Cry game for example. I will try any game though. I tend to stick to games that are driven non-stop by their story. When it strays into fetch or crafting territory I tend to lose interest.
There is minimal crafting and fetch quest in this game. Stick to main missions and it will just feel like a liner game

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I just finished HZD yesterday. Gorgeous game (4K, max, ultrawide, 100fps).

I felt the game had more heart and soul than Ass Creed, Far Cry, etc. You could really feel there was a team behind it that truly cared. The attention to detail was phenomenal. The robots were awesome.

However, I was shocked at how linear and limiting it was. No climbing. Limited crafting and customization. Few weapons. No memorable side characters or quests. The world didn't really feel alive.

I do look forward to the sequel when it comes to PC!

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Accusations of shilling
HZD has more interesting and engaging combat in 30 minutes than the AC series has had in its entire run.

This thread certainly has some takes in it.

Ubisoft gets the crown for a slightly less lifeless looking gameplay world, but it's stories, animation, and overall presentation is such a downgrade I almost go into conspiracy mode and have to assume half these people are paid shills. Combat in AC has basically never been good, side stories some of the worst in the genre, main stories barely engaging and entiriely forgettable.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
My biggest issue with the game so far is quest design. It already feels repetitive and characters you meet don't stand out at all.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Ubisoft made games like HZD and Tsushima again instead of 100+ hr bloatwares.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I initially played HZD right after BotW and didn't enjoy it. Thought it wasn't fair b/c I kept comparing it to botw so gave it another go couple of years later and still couldn't find myself to enjoy it.

The game looks freaking amazing. But I couldn't get into the story and I can't name another character in that game besides Aloy - and I've played the campaign twice!

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HZD is when I realized I'd fallen out of love with Sony exclusives. It has a couple of interesting ideas running underneath the surface but the vast majority of them are undercooked. what you're left with is bog standard open world action stealth story driven rpg soup with some pretty visuals attached.

it's a good technical showcase, but its far from a good game.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
HZD is still one of the best looking games I've played, but it didn't connect with me elsewhere. I'm hoping the second game does something different with the structure of the game and how you interact with the world.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is not an Ubisoft game.

You might term it a Konami game, as in "Metal Gear Solid 5". That is a really well put together game that is shoved into an ubisoft open world setting which adds nothing to it.

Had HZD been made up of carefully crafted levels? It would have been a much better experience. A lot of the game is like this, when you get funneled into a linear bit, but it just means your time is wasted in between.

I highly suggest you mainline the shit out of it and just pretend you are not pointlessly walking for 10 minutes to get to the next section of content.

Ubisoft's design is not like this. The pointless open world is the whole experience, there really isn't a game to be found.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I initially played HZD right after BotW and didn't enjoy it. Thought it wasn't fair b/c I kept comparing it to botw so gave it another go couple of years later and still couldn't find myself to enjoy it.

The game looks freaking amazing. But I couldn't get into the story and I can't name another character in that game besides Aloy - and I've played the campaign twice!
I remember the principle characters of Frozen Wilds because you spent more meaningful time with them. I also remember some of the past characters like Sobeck, Herres and that fuck Ted Faro. But I honestly cannot remember the names of the secondary characters in the main, present day campaign other than Sylens. My man Lance Reddick knocked it out of the park.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Except it really isn't since it uses the Ubi template. I had a slightly better experience with the game than the OP did, but it really does scream "seen it, done it a million times already since 2007" gameplay and general structure. The best thing about the game was fighting a new Zoid for the first time, but after one or two encounters they become trivial, and the game runs entirely out of steam as soon as you've been introduced to your last one, which is around the halfway mark depending on the course you're following.

And "literally one of the best stories in any piece of fiction ever"? My god...
Even if that were close to being true (it isn't remotely), you cannot sustain a 30+ hour game based off of a general concept of the world alone, especially when all of the NPCs are dull, all of the quests are dull and aside from certain regional aesthetic differences, the world as a whole is dull outside of the Zoid fights.

Yeah lmao I'm a bit taken aback at this take lmao. The had very little of the good ole Ubisoft collect-a-thon shit, and the story is very connected and deep. Lol

and I'm someone who likes some ubi open world games lol

Yeah, it's really hard to see why the comparison to a Ubisoft game is being made since it literally (proper use of the word this time) is following the same template Ubisoft has been doing since the first Assassin's Creed. Try to imagine any of the Ubisoft games without the constant collect-a-thons if that makes it easier. I know you can do it, because while their games have that garbage, they weren't all equally egregious in that respect and it also wasn't the totality of their template either. Not even the main focus, just added padding. Way too much at times, but not even mandatory to bother with either.

Last edited:

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's as hyperbolic as the "best story in any medium" comment.

One day people shall realize that "I don't like this game" does not equal "it is not a good game".
If I'm not enjoying myself, there's not much of a functional difference between "I don't like this game" and "It is not a good game"

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It is not an Ubisoft game.

You might term it a Konami game, as in "Metal Gear Solid 5". That is a really well put together game that is shoved into an ubisoft open world setting which adds nothing to it.

Had HZD been made up of carefully crafted levels? It would have been a much better experience. A lot of the game is like this, when you get funneled into a linear bit, but it just means your time is wasted in between.

I highly suggest you mainline the shit out of it and just pretend you are not pointlessly walking for 10 minutes to get to the next section of content.

Ubisoft's design is not like this. The pointless open world is the whole experience, there really isn't a game to be found.
This is exactly why I fear for a Splinter Cell made by current Ubisoft. Their design philosophy doesn't fit the series.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
While I thought every character and quest in HZD (not related to unearthing the mystery behind its story) was lacking and boring as hell, the game certainly didn't give me the feeling of "focus/committee tested open world bloat content churned out monotonously and designed to make you spend time in that world monotonously" (aka Ubisoft open world).

Seriously, my number 1 gripe with HZD is how boring the non important characters and all quests are. The minute you step out the gates as a Seeker, the one thing that should make you super excited about exploring the open world, was.... "go here and find this person and talk to them". And the supposed biggest settlement was this boring ass city with a boring ass king.

I really hope they've upped the game in that aspect for the sequel, but seeing how they brought back another boring character (that captain guard guy) for the trailer, I'm not super optimistic.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it has all the trappings of your average AAA open world game, and a lot of those trappings are the usual Ubisoft shittiness that Assassin's Creed has poisoned the industry with. But there are also a lot of wonderful aspects of HZD that you can't find anywhere else.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I don't have any issue with Ubisoft games other than the obsession of making each new game LARGER than ever. and this is why I'm done with the AC series if they continue that.
HZD is not large, and this is why I cant wait for Forbidden West

Oct 27, 2017
i actually believe that Odyssey and Valhalla are among the most fun open world games ever made. Yeah, they are bloated and ultimately shallow, but ubisoft has really perfected the "loop" of open world gameplay. It's like, I can spend 2 hours just clearing icons in valhalla and it's legitimately a good fucking time.

also i see a lot of dunking on ubisofts gameplay but valhalla has legitimately really fucking fun combat and its not as strict with enemy power level as odyssey was (which also had really fun combat if you were roughly same level as enemies)

Valhalla, with its bloat, is one of the best games I played in years and I think it is the best assassin's creed ever. I should try this game again. It didn't pull me in when I tried it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
HZD has more interesting and engaging combat in 30 minutes than the AC series has had in its entire run.

This thread certainly has some takes in it.

Ubisoft gets the crown for a slightly less lifeless looking gameplay world, but it's stories, animation, and overall presentation is such a downgrade I almost go into conspiracy mode and have to assume half these people are paid shills. Combat in AC has basically never been good, side stories some of the worst in the genre, main stories barely engaging and entiriely forgettable.

Fuck outta here with the "paid shill" accusations, jesus.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The game looks freaking amazing. But I couldn't get into the story and I can't name another character in that game besides Aloy
- and I've played the campaign twice!

I really do hate that this is almost my exact experience. I'm not sure why I immediately loved GoT and still couldn't really get into HZD. Sigh.