• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
horace-free-game.jpg

I got this game from the recent Switch EShop sale (90% off!).

It's... really weird. I haven't quite beaten it (I'm around 85-90% done with the story though).

It's essentially a fairly story-heavy platformer, with lot of splashes of other genres in it (mostly due to different minigames inserted into it). There's also some elements of Metroidvanias into it.

The gameplay is very hit-and miss. It's sometimes very fun to play, with lots of interesting platforming challanges and cool mechanics. You get to manipulate and play with gravitation a lot, because of abilities that let you effortlessly climb on walls and ceilings. However, the game also has a lot of big and somewhat random difficulty spikes in it. I ended up meat grinding through some of the more difficult sections. Some of the non-platforming minigames like vehicle sections don't feel polished enough.

The game also definitely feels like a passion project of it's lead developer, Paul Helman. It's pretty clear that lot of heart and ambition has gone into the game. It's not always a good thing though - some of the levels put in the game feel very disjointed, and feel like something that could have been cut to make for a more consistent vision. (There's levels that feel almost like acid trips, and they also feel very much out of place).

So the gameplay is bit all over the place. But really two things I want to talk a little about the game are atmosphere and the story.

First, the atmosphere. The game has a very strange and surreal tone to it all. It's a very British game, with lots of references to more obscure british (and I guess american) television series, films and the like. I couldn't get all of it. Lot of the soundtrack are covers and remixes of either classical music or outright pop-culture tracks. It goes so deep to the point that it just feels strange. Like, lot of it feels almost copyright-infringement level. But it also creates this strange world that feels almost like the real world, but through this very strange lens.

Secondly, the story.

The game is about Horace the Robot. He is created and raised by an old man and his family in a big mansion. First hours of the game is mostly just you chilling with the other characters, doing some fairly simple platforming and getting to learn most of the characters. Everything is narrated by Horaces A.I robot-speech, which could be alienating, but it really works in this case. The writing isn't that special by itself but.. for some reason I really got to care about these characters quickly. I'm not really even sure why, but the game really got its hooks on me. Even when the gameplay gets sometimes really frustrating, I've been pushing through because I keep wanting to see how it all unfolds, and how Horace narrates everything.

So uh, this is a bit rambly OP. I guess I want to say that you should give this little game a chance. It's a very quirky and flawed game, but I'm glad I've been playing it.

horace.jpg

Finally, I do think the story should be experienced mostly blindly, but I'll spoiler tag some later plot impressions for the later game.

After the opening hour or so, the game goes for a timeskip. After it, the world has gone through apocalyptic robot uprising, which Horace has slept though. Most of his family has scattered around the country, and he tries to reunite them all.

The plot becomes very surreal and dark at the same time. These people live through war and lot of pretty dark stuff, but it's all narrated through Horace's naive and innocent POV. At the same time, we meet more characters that also feel surprisingly relatable and fun. When the plot in the later sections becomes dark and people start to actually die, I felt more sad about it that I was expecting.

It's not very sophisticated story, but everything about the darkness when contrasted with the somewhat cheerful visual style, yet also dark and surreal and weird nature of the rest of the game, it really is a strange beast.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
This trailer has some light spoilers, but it does give a better idea what to expect from the gameplay, atmosphere and writing of the game.

Last edited:

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Great post. It's definitely something special and worth more than a couple bucks.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I'm playing this at the moment too and am loving it, seems like a real gem. I don't think I'm as far into it as you are though. The gameplay as you say can be a bit up and down but I wouldn't say any of it is bad. The core 2D platforming that is the bulk of the game isn't quite as tight and polished as something like Super Meat Boy or Celeste but is still very enjoyable (not hit any difficulty spikes yet).

The character of Horace is the real star of the show, he's just such a likeable protagonist. Using a text to speech program for the narration is really clever as it really fits the character really well and allows for a lot of speech. There are way more cutscenes than you would expect for an indie game like this and they're very enjoyable due to being well written and quite funny in a sweet, gentle way. If you grew up in the UK in the 80s or the 90s there is a lot in here that you'll recognise and chuckle at.

I've you've been claiming the Epic Games Store free games you probably already own this, so give it a play.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing this at the moment too and am loving it, seems like a real gem. I don't think I'm as far into it as you are though. The gameplay as you say can be a bit up and down but I wouldn't say any of it is bad. The core 2D platforming that is the bulk of the game isn't quite as tight and polished as something like Super Meat Boy or Celeste but is still very enjoyable (not hit any difficulty spikes yet).

The character of Horace is the real star of the show, he's just such a likeable protagonist. Using a text to speech program for the narration is really clever as it really fits the character really well and allows for a lot of speech. There are way more cutscenes than you would expect for an indie game like this and they're very enjoyable due to being well written and quite funny in a sweet, gentle way. If you grew up in the UK in the 80s or the 90s there is a lot in here that you'll recognise and chuckle at.

I've you've been claiming the Epic Games Store free games you probably already own this, so give it a play.

In terms of game progression, I'm at

Chapter 19.

The difficulty doesn't really spike until chapter 11-14, when the game becomes a metroidvania for a while. The platforming rooms are all kinds of brutal when compared to how inprecise Horace can be to control at times.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to add that I enjoyed this game, and it's unique storytelling/atmosphere.

Also was a big fan of those acidtrip-like linear sections as opposed to the metroidvania sections in the late game. Traversing through the mansion became quite cumbersome and frustrating to the point where I lost interest in collecting the 1,000,000 junk and just wanted to finish as I felt the game started to overstay its welcome.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played a little bit of this last year - I think EGS gave it away on PC? And it's definitely an odd duck. It's very unpolished, but not necessarily in a bad way. It's a pure creative vision, for good or for bad.

Unfortunately, I found the story bits too heavy-handed and the gameplay too janky, so I dropped it after a couple sittings. But like, I'd recommend to anyone interested, because I'm 100% sure that if someone clicked with it, they'd really enjoy it.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I played a little bit of this last year - I think EGS gave it away on PC? And it's definitely an odd duck. It's very unpolished, but not necessarily in a bad way. It's a pure creative vision, for good or for bad.

Unfortunately, I found the story bits too heavy-handed and the gameplay too janky, so I dropped it after a couple sittings. But like, I'd recommend to anyone interested, because I'm 100% sure that if someone clicked with it, they'd really enjoy it.

I agree that it's very heavy-handed, but also somehow doesn't feel fake or forced at the same time. It's hard to explain. I think the way Horaces robo-voice narrates everything helps to sell it to me.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I consider the game a masterpiece. It's flawed, but it's so earnest and charming throughout. Some of the gameplay is terrible, but there's so much variety that I never minded.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is bizarre, I couldn't deal with the gameplay enough to finish it but early in the game there are a TON of nods to various games and movies. Like an EXTREME amount. Honestly wasn't expecting that when I picked this up

I was cackling at the Ferris Bueller's Day Off Outrun clone.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I got it during the recent sale as well based on some praise in the eshop thread and I absolutely loathed my time with it. I quit after the halloween party and the
the old man died

Game takes way too long to go anywhere and looks and feels like a generic platformer made in something like RPG maker, but for platformers. Couldnt stand the microsoft sam voice narration either.

OP
OP
The Bear

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game today. The ending was okay, felt about as sincere as rest of the game (which means - very sincere).

Few things I wanted to mention about the soundtrack:

I really enjoyed the main theme, it's probably the best track of the game.

What I didn't enjoy was some of the songs that are just rip-offs from classical music. Felt like the game deserved more original tracks in those sections.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I finished this recently too! I have a somewhat similar take, being mixed but with lots to praise.

It's charming as all heck, clearly made with a lot of love and has an impressive amount of variety, but also does frequently become a slog. It probably would've benefitted from some ideas, both story and gameplay wise, being left on the cutting room floor. That would've made things more consistent and also allowed for some much needed polish. Alas, while the game's indulgence can be fun, it can also be draining and not especially satisfying story or gameplaywise.

Still, it is an incredible achievement for such a small team, the love and effort on display is amazing, and there are many moments of inventive brilliance. I am glad I experienced it and would probably recommend it, especially on sale! Albeit, that being with the caveat that if you get frustrated by the lack of consistency and relentless difficulty, you'd be fine just experiencing the rest of it via a let's play.

To that, I certainly had no desire to go for 100% completion, and was fine just watching the (actually very sweet) post credits ending it unlocks on youtube.

I really enjoyed the main theme, it's probably the best track of the game

Aye, The main theme is so lovely! and often gets used to masterful effect for the game's more touching moments, especially when they use more gentle instrumentation.

Last edited:

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
LTTP as well. Playing this, mostly enjoying it, and while on chapter 6 I decided to see where I was in the game (feeling I was well over half way), but nope, game's got 22 chapters!
Seems a bit long, and I'll stick with it, but I hope it doesn't get too much harder - some of the platforming, and avoiding things were tougher than they needed to be.