• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
You should try out the Igavania ones OP. Not as hard as Hollow Knight but they're quite enjoyable since you're into metroidvanias now.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which fights don't you like?
Watcher Knights and Flukemarm are just a bit dull to me, especially Flukemarm. To be more specific, Watcher Knights I find too long for how repetitive it is, most of the fights where the bosses don't have too many moves are over pretty quick, and Flukemarm I've always just found annoying to fight.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm 20 hours in and absolutely loving it. So much to interact with and explore, and most of the bosses are optional- if something feels too tough there's usually more places to explore, more charm loadouts to try. I was stuck on the rolling knights at the top of the city spire for a dozen attempts until changing my loadout and noticing the tells for each attack. Such a good feeling afterwards, reminded me of Monster Hunter in that sense of learning a battle. Also a wonderfully atmospheric game world with environmental storytelling, like with failed tramway in Deepnest- when you
loop around you can see a huge amount of spider eggs clogging up the failed passage

Probably the best Metroidvania I've played, I can't put it down. Picked it up for £7 in a sale and I've paid seven times that for various console/portable games in the same genre over the years with a fraction of the attention to detail. Such a remarkable achievement for three people.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Im playing right now and just got the first ending last night. I think im nearly done as my completion % is at 87.
Overall it's a good game but there are some big annoyances. The map system is one. I think better tagging of locations and if the map filled in as you travelled it would alleviate much frustration and needless backtracking. There are areas of the map that are also a pain to get to due to fast travel spacing and a few shitty difficulty spikes on a couple bosses.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
I recently finished Hollow Knight and I absolutely loved it. Such a well polished game in terms of art, gameplay design, lore, music. But it's not perfect. By the end I was definitely finding the backtracking and lack of (enough) fast travel options to be unnecessarily painful.

9.0 from me.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I recently finished Hollow Knight and I absolutely loved it. Such a well polished game in terms of art, gameplay design, lore, music. But it's not perfect. By the end I was definitely finding the backtracking and lack of (enough) fast travel options to be unnecessarily painful.

9.0 from me.
Yeah, I think an extra two or three stations would be enough for me, some are just a little too far apart. An expensive consumable item to return to the village would be good too, restrictive at the start but more useful when you already have much of the map unlocked and are going through the motions just backtracking.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
You're gonna love Ori, believe me.
Hollow Knight is an amazing game. I really had a blast with it. Unfortunately I could never finish it since the boss fights got too hard for me.
I got to the end boss and couldn't beat him. There's still a bunch I didn't get, but it's so hard to find stuff I never did.

But the 30 or so hours I played I loved.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Came out of nowhere and became my favourite game of all time.

It really makes me not EVER want to buy The World Ends With You for switch when I am in the E store, and see that this masterpiece of a game is $10 and TWEWY is like at $40 or more??? TWEWY is not only as old as ass, it also was a nintendo DS game...like from the old, old nintendo DS.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really not enjoying it for the first few hours, but it's starting to grow on me now that I've got the dash and unlocked fast travel.

If not for Era explaining where to go I'd have never gotten to this point though. Game could stand to give a little more direction in the very beginning.

Handa

Nov 14, 2018
I have been following hollow knight for a while but have still yet to play it. Love the artstyle and metroidvania gameplay but am worried the difficulty curve will be more frustrating than rewarding for me. Does it have difficulty options?

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I adore the game. Loved the atmosphere, combat and the characters. Really a gem, glad to see more are enjoying it, it was amazing to play on my switch as well.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have been following hollow knight for a while but have still yet to play it. Love the artstyle and metroidvania gameplay but am worried the difficulty curve will be more frustrating than rewarding for me. Does it have difficulty options?

No, there are no difficulty options. A lot of the more difficult stuff is optional so you can just skip some of that if you find it unenjoyable, but there are still some difficult mandatory bosses that will take some time to learn. The game is quite generous with it save spots though, and you don't necessarily have to replay a lot of stuff if you do die, so it never got too frustrating for me even though I died a lot.

Handa

Nov 14, 2018
No, there are no difficulty options. A lot of the more difficult stuff is optional so you can just skip some of that if you find it unenjoyable, but there are still some difficult mandatory bosses that will take some time to learn. The game is quite generous with it save spots though, and you don't necessarily have to replay a lot of stuff if you do die, so it never got too frustrating for me even though I died a lot.

Thats great to hear, im gonna jump on it while its still on steam sale

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I consider this game a masterpiece of the genre. It absolutely nails (heh) everything it's trying to do. So many indie games have the goal of making a souls like experience but fail at it because they just copy whats there, Hollow Knight is the one that gets it right and not just make a retread but understands the themes and mystery around those experiences and even goes beyond them to make their own unique spin on it. Exploring Hallownest is one of my most memorable experiences in gaming. The somber tone, the mysteries of eons past, the great characters.. It all just blends perfectly.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just finished my first run at 28 hours, 78% completion. What an amazing game, I'm going to to go back in and finish up the rest of it early next year, but am so impressed with pretty much everything about it given the team size.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it on switch a few months back. Beautiful, atmospheric, tight controlling game but it just wasn't for me.

I don't get into metroidvania games in general. Once I spend an hour not knowing where to go you've lost me. Just don't have time for that.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really really wanted to love this game. Counted down the days until it hit the Switch.

But banging my head against the bosses and backtracking 5 minutes through the level only to lose again and repeat the process wasn't fun to me. I didn't actively quit the game, I just started a different game and just never came back to Hollow Knight.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry this is your first Metroidvania. None of the others will quite live up to it :P

Actually that's not entirely true, other games each have their own interesting experiences to offer. But it is true that I think Hollow Knight is head and shoulders above the rest. Its world is just so rich, so filled with stories, characters, and secrets.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with everything. It's a very beautiful game and that's not only limited to art-style, but to everything really.

Looking very forward to the Hornet DLC.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I started playing this game a couple of weeks ago, liking it so far.
I just got to the Mantis part and I need to time the dash action and the wall climbing otherwise the thorns will hit me... it has been somewhat difficult lol

Will keep trying!

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I really really wanted to love this game. Counted down the days until it hit the Switch.

But banging my head against the bosses and backtracking 5 minutes through the level only to lose again and repeat the process wasn't fun to me. I didn't actively quit the game, I just started a different game and just never came back to Hollow Knight.
You don't have to backtrack 5min to any boss, most areas have a shortcut to the boss room.
And you can also teleport directly to them using the dream gate.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I feel like it's really well made, and a good game, but after 6-8 hours somewhere in there, I hadn't felt was so "super special" about it and slowly moved on to other games unfortunately

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite games of all time and completely came out of nowhere when I played it last year. It's hard for me to decide if I like Hollow Knight or Ori more.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Currently playing through it for the first time, and this game is fucking amazing. Haven't been this excited to play something in a long time. I feel like I discover a new, interesting thing every hour that I play, and I'm sure that I'm missing a ton of cool shit. And it is just a joy to control after you find a few mobility upgrades.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a little further on now... the "not having a map until you find the guy to buy it" thing is still garbage. Totally sucks the fun out of exploration, which should be the entire point of a game like this. Also artificially pads the length by making you constantly backtrack through shit because you don't know where you are.

The map is such a critical aspect of this genre, I really can't believe they screwed it up like this.

Tried it on switch a few months back. Beautiful, atmospheric, tight controlling game but it just wasn't for me.

I don't get into metroidvania games in general. Once I spend an hour not knowing where to go you've lost me. Just don't have time for that.
Those are the ones that are more Metroid than Vania (like Hollow Knight), and I mostly agree with you. The SotN influence is what really made this genre great. Without stats and gear, these games can be extremely unfun at times.

Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it a hell of a lot until I started aiming for the platinum trophy. Fuck the Pantheon. Hate every second of that. Really killed any enthusiasm I had to play it ever again :(

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it a hell of a lot until I started aiming for the platinum trophy. Fuck the Pantheon. Hate every second of that. Really killed any enthusiasm I had to play it ever again :(

My only issue with the game really, aside from Nightmare King Grimm. I feel like you need superhuman abilities in order to beat the Pantheon 3 and upwards.

Never a fan of super hard challenges that are being turned into achievements/trophies that not even 1% of the entire playerbase will be able to obtain.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Saw the credits a few days ago and ended up with 93% completion rate. It really was super good. Especially liked the controls/gameplay, the setting and it's visuals, the boss fights and how surprisingly highly polished it is. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece, but it's pretty close :)

Now trying to get that true ending, but couldn't handle the final fight yet.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine how efficient Team Cherry is to develop a game that delivers so damn hard on quality and quantity with that ridiculously small team size. It's amazing what can in theory happen if the right people work on the right thing. Meanwhile e.g. Bloodstained's development with its huge kickstarter backing and iconic producer has people worried about Might Nr9 Nr2.

Can't wait for the Hornet DLC. Hell, I'm super curious about getting more lore from this unique world and seeing where the story takes us. Probably a whole lot more excellently designed boss battles among others.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through it now. Love the soundtrack and sound design so far. Went through some really frustrating parts, and I almost gave up on it after the first few hours, but I stuck with it after getting a few powers.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
This game was made by a few of the locals in my home town. I'm stoked for them.

I picked it up on Switch and put in around 50 hours. Really atmospheric game with an awesome OST. I loved the post apocalyptic bug world setting and the risk/reward mechanics of exploration. There is some Souls influence in there. I also liked the combat and controls felt tight etc.

Some of those boss fights toward the end of the game though. Damn.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Yeah, a little further on now... the "not having a map until you find the guy to buy it" thing is still garbage. Totally sucks the fun out of exploration, which should be the entire point of a game like this. Also artificially pads the length by making you constantly backtrack through shit because you don't know where you are.

The map is such a critical aspect of this genre, I really can't believe they screwed it up like this.
Instead of saying they screwed it up, you could just say it sucks, because they absolutely did not screw it up. Hollow Knight didn't wind up with a radically original mapping system by accident, like no one on the team had played a Metroidvania and they didn't know how maps usually work in these games. They built a map system carefully designed to get the player lost sometimes. I love it, you hate it, that's fine.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I just started and I have no idea where to go or what im supposed to be doing.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Not a fan of the length and the size of the map. Don't care to get a new ability and then have to search the entire goddamn world to find a shaky floor that will let me continue. I'd rather not waste time on stuff that doesn't get me to the end of the game either but theres no way to tell what I should or shouldn't be doing. Kind of annoying.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying I'll never play it because of the art style but I need to get past that and give it a shot. Just not a fan of how it looks.

Aug 1, 2018
I LOVE Hollow Knight. I had this game for almost a year, but finally played and beat it earlier this month. I tried to play it earlier in the year on PC and played for a couple of hours, but couldn't really get into it. But earlier this month, I was dealin with some stuff that had me bedridden for a bit and saw that it was on sale for the Switch, so I ended up grabbing it on that and holy shit, I fell in love with the game.

The gameplay is great. The controls are tight. The sense of exploration is incredible. The characters and even enemies are all so weird and interesting. The story was pretty good, but the lore is fucking incredible. And this game never stopped surprising me, even up until the last few minutes.

It came out of nowhere to become my #1 favorite game of all time.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think an extra two or three stations would be enough for me, some are just a little too far apart. An expensive consumable item to return to the village would be good too, restrictive at the start but more useful when you already have much of the map unlocked and are going through the motions just backtracking.
That would be a neat idea. And I actually liked the backtracking at the beginning but near the end it was just an unneeded chore...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of saying they screwed it up, you could just say it sucks, because they absolutely did not screw it up. Hollow Knight didn't wind up with a radically original mapping system by accident, like no one on the team had played a Metroidvania and they didn't know how maps usually work in these games. They built a map system carefully designed to get the player lost sometimes. I love it, you hate it, that's fine.
Isn't the team only a handful of people? Forgive me for thinking perhaps they might be fallible humans.

But fine, have it your way: the map system sucks. The constant, infuriating backtracking sucks. The combat sucks. The poorly telegraphed ways to access new areas suck.

The overall game just isn't very much fun at all. It's nice to look at, but that's about it.

Peak overhyped, pretentious indie.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just started and I have no idea where to go or what im supposed to be doing.
Just a few beginners tips-
buy a map in the forgotten crossroads (if you see a trail of paper on the ground it leads to the mapmaker, connifer).
Buy a quill from the map shop in Dirtmouth, and a few tokens to mark the map with.
Buy the compass charm from the other shop.

At that point, your map will show where you are, and where you haven't been yet. Use the marks on places you can't access yet, and keep pushing into places you haven't been. Even if you aren't going the 'right' way you'll find items, bugs, charms and other stuff that'll make you stronger. If an area feels too tough, go back and try another route, most places have more than one entrance and some of the areas aren't needed at all.

If you see a sign for a stag beetle, follow it, it leads to stations (the fast travel system) that also contain benches (save points).

After Forgotten Crossroads, head west into Greenpath, and pursue Hornet, but find the station and save there before fighting her.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I put around 25 hours in to it months ago, but got distracted by other titles. I've been putting off playing it again as I feel like I'm going to be so lost.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I really like the game but sadly I suck navigating through it. I spend like 30 minutes walking around for a great bossfight every now and then. This really hinders my enjoyment of this beautiful game.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the map system in Hollow Knight. It's rare that a game lets you feel lost these days, and it's fairly obvious it's an intentional design choice. One of the best games I played this year.

Isn't the team only a handful of people? Forgive me for thinking perhaps they might be fallible humans.

But fine, have it your way: the map system sucks. The constant, infuriating backtracking sucks. The combat sucks. The poorly telegraphed ways to access new areas suck.

The overall game just isn't very much fun at all. It's nice to look at, but that's about it.

Peak overhyped, pretentious indie.

Jeez. You're entitled to your opinion, but I rarely see a post I disagree with this much. And pretentious? Really? Absolutely charming is more in line with how I experienced it.