• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Spending the end of year away from home and from my PC, my Switch has been my choice for some gaming sessions here and there. Decided to buy Hollow Knight to give it a try after hearing a lot of praise about it. Funny thing is that I've never played a Metroidvania before, so wasn't really sure about what to expect.

God damn, what a game (my avatar agrees).

From the tight gameplay, beautiful graphics, amazing soundtrack - everything just works together to create this awesome world filled with secrets and challenges. Enemy and boss variety is out of this world, old stages changing and becoming more challenging after you reach a certain point in the story is also a nice touch. It's a huge game though, and I definitely understand the concerns of getting lost sometimes given how the map is not automatically updated and given some gameplay mechanics as well.

I'm 40 hrs in now and it seems like there's so much more to see and do, this is an absolute steal at its current price on the eShop.

Also, just bought Dead Cells and Ori and they'll be my next games after finishing HK. I guess I like Metroidvanias now.

Last edited:

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I bought it for 10 bucks a few days ago, amazing stuff so far. The bosses are nothing to sneeze at, an early boss' second phase was the most tense I've felt in a while.

Zote is the best character.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You're gonna love Ori, believe me.
Hollow Knight is an amazing game. I really had a blast with it. Unfortunately I could never finish it since the boss fights got too hard for me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came out of nowhere and became my favourite game of all time.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I was made aware of the game before it released. Even then, I realised it would be something I would be mega into. God was I right. Mastapeice, got it on release day.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through it right now as well, and I agree, the game is phenomenal. Towards the end of the game, where I am now, I am a bit lost/not sure what's important for the main game and what's a side diversion, so I might like just a bit more of guidance on what's the critical path, but it doesn't take much away from how great the game is.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I just got it a few weeks ago. What's funny and kinda sad is when the game came out, I saw people talking about it, and one person pretty much said it wasn't a metroidvania and more of a boss arena game. I promptly lost interest. But, like what? They were completely off base. On what earth were they talking about this game? I only found out last week what it was really like, and I can't believe I missed out on it that long because someone was talking out of their ass.

I knew it looked amazing back then, but the gameplay and exploration is top notch as well. The levels are interesting and fun to traverse. Bosses are great and challenging. Only gripes I have is that movement feels a bit stiff at first. I found myself walking into enemies quite a bit when trying to attack them.

OP
OP
SleepSmasher

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm playing through it right now as well, and I agree, the game is phenomenal. Towards the end of the game, where I am now, I am a bit lost/not sure what's important for the main game and what's a side diversion, so I might like just a bit more of guidance on what's the critical path, but it doesn't take much away from how great the game is.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm just moving between different objectives or possible things to do if I get stuck in something due to difficulty. Grinding for Geo then equipping more charms in new slots also helps.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I picked it up a Christmas pressie and have yet to play it! Got quite a bit of spare time this week and I'm really excited to finally dive in.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Im 40h in too, around 90% done, going for the spicy 112%.
Hope to finish it before they play it on gamesdonequick.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's a very special game. In a sea of indie meteoidvanias, it not only stands out but it also moves the genre further into the future. Might be my favorite metroidvania of all time, actually.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
10/10 video game. Indie or otherwise. I always love to hear more folks get into this one.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I've been replaying it recently after beating it when it first came out for Switch, and it's just so wonderful. Everything about this game is a delight. I still am not totally sure whether I'd pick Hollow Knight or Aria of Sorrow for best metroidvania, but with a whole extra DLC expansion in the works I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hollow Knight stands supreme at the end of the day.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Literally this game came out of nowhere and became my favourite metroidvania ever. Actually soulsvania is a better term,since it borrows from Souls too,while being pretty unique by itself too. All in all an excellent game

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Hollow Knight is the only game in my entire life that I pushed myself super hard to beat. Took me a good 10 hours to finish properly the core content (the very last battle), two entire nights, out of 60 hours of playing. All the bosses felt way too hard until I actually got myself to learn their patterns and deliver, and the satisfaction is huge afterwards.

I also finished SotN and Super Metroid, but found Aria of Sorrow too hard at the end so I never finished that properly, but had no issues with HK.

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
Had a blast with it, finished the main game and reached godhome, where I got burned out
the last boss rush (the 30-40 min one) is a pain, even when you get to practice each boss individually. I'm probably not gonna go back for that one.
At least it has Sisters of Battle, which is my favorite boss in the game.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've tried twice to get into Hollow Knight, and most recently was a few hours in and never went back to it. I was bored of the grinding for whatever the currency is called, and still having the same crappy weapon. I loved Ori and the Blind Forest DE though. It's on sale on Xbox, maybe Steam too.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Recently started playing it. Just beat the Soul Master boss and very much enjoying this game's whole feeling. Stumbling upon the wall jump area was what convinced me that this game does Metroidvania exploration just right.

Now, where's my Smash DLC for the Knight as a fighter?

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I picked this up on PSN during the Black Friday sale, and I just beat it a week ago at like 80% completion. I think it's safe to say that it might be my favorite game of all time. Every aspect of the game is perfect to me. I got a Switch this week and one of the first things I did was buy Hollow Knight again.

I've been stuck on the trial of fools for a little while, but I think I've just come up with a strategy to overcome it.

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I adore Hollow Knight. Such a good game.

Random question. Is HK the game that inspired the most LTTP threads?

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's fantastic. It's also one of the only modern Metroidvania that aren't afraid to let you explore stuff without guiding you and that's a big part of what makes it special.

Like, I'm playing Guacamelee 2 right now and it would basically be the same if it were level based. It's like they failed to see what makes metroidvanias special.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
One of the greatest games I've ever played, and is responsible for me getting back into 2D gaming.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game. It'd be perfect if the map system was more traditional and some of the bosses were easier. I feel like it's difficult to it's detriment. More people should be able to enjoy it.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Love the game...stuck on
Watcher Knight
i have shed many tears. I thought
Mantis Lords
were bad

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
It's extremely good, I am so glad I backed this game and it's great to see an Aussie developer having such success. You could tell from the start there was something special about it, such a beautiful art style and incredible animations. I have no idea how a game this vast and detailed was made by just 3 people. Insane! Anyway, I bought it again on Switch recently because it's the kind of game I love playing on the go. The world is just phenomenal and the way it connects and winds back in on itself is incredible. The way the game just to allows the player to explore organically and freely is incredible, and the way it gives you different ways of approaching the world with the charms is just masterful. The map itself has so much depth and makes backtracking interesting and evolving, which is no mean feat.

I'm still a bit mixed on the souls-like lose your currency when you die which I think creates some tedious situations and tends to add unnecessary backtracking to a game that already has more than enough. I don't think it meshes well with the game's demanding platforming sections either. Overall, it's a pretty minor gripe but worth mentioning.

Definitely one of my favourite games of recent times and I'm so keen to see what these guys do next.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it so much! Had it not been for BOTW, it would have taken top honors. It was up there with Mario + Rabbids and Snake Pass as the nicest surprises of last year for me.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Spending the end of year away from home and from my PC, my Switch has been my choice for some gaming sessions here and there. Decided to buy Hollow Knight to give it a try after hearing a lot of praise about it. Funny thing is that I've never played a Metroidvania before, so wasn't really sure about what to expect.

God damn, what a game (my avatar agrees).

From the tight gameplay, beautiful graphics, amazing soundtrack - everything just works together to create this awesome world filled with secrets and challenges. Enemy and boss variety is out of this world, old stages changing and becoming more challenging after you reach a certain point in the story is also a nice touch. It's a huge game though, and I definitely understand the concerns of getting lost sometimes given how the map is not automatically updated and given some gameplay mechanics as well.

I'm 40 hrs in now and it seems like there's so much more to see and do, this is an absolute steal at its current price on the eShop.

Also, just bought Dead Cells and Ori and they'll be my next games after finishing HK. I guess I like Metroidvanias now.

Don't sleep on The Messenger.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Best game of the year. Beat it on both Switch and PS4. Probably my favorite game in the last four years or so.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I picked it up in the Humble Monthly a couple months ago, I actually just got done with a session in it right now. Did some light exploring, it seems fun, this is also my first Metroidvania game.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep it's a masterpiece, my 4th favorite game ever, have beaten it a few times and am attempting my first steel soul run now. The the only negative thing I've managed to come up with for it is I think two of the boss fights are poor, But that's not saying much when the game has some of my favorite boss fights ever as well.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Yep it's a masterpiece, my 4th favorite game ever, have beaten it a few times and am attempting my first steel soul run now. The the only negative thing I've managed to come up with for it is I think two of the boss fights are poor, But that's not saying much when the game has some of my favorite boss fights ever as well.
Which fights don't you like?