• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of these metroidvania's should I play next from my backlog?

• Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Blasphemous

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • Symphony of the Night

Votes: 113 36.2%
  • Super Metroid

Votes: 156 50.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
So this game was always on my radar due to all the praise people have given it and with it being free on PSN+ this month I was finally able to give it a shot and I liked it a lot. I've tried a few metroidvanias before but never made it too far into any of them However Hollow knight was able to hook me. It has a really strong art direction. The mash up between Berserk and Dark Souls but using adorable looking bugs surprisingly works really well. The game's humor landed much better than one would've thought and could make me laugh when it tried. And even though I have no idea wth was going on story wise, the overall atmosphere and vibe was still really cool. The sense of exploration was also really excellent. It was super fun wandering around and discovering new locations.

However the game wasn't without flaws imo. The game walks a very thin line between good difficulty and frustrating difficulty. I think about 80% of the time it's on the good difficulty side but the remaining 20% can be really frustrating bordering on Bullshit. One of my main issues is how long it takes to upgrade your nail. It's your primary weapon yet I was almost done with the game by the time I got the 3rd upgrade. The enemy's damage and health scale up pretty significantly with each new area but your nail doesn't, which leaves constantly feeling underpowered. This may have been intentional but I wasn't a fan of it all.

My biggest issue however is the lack of interconnectivity. The game does have shortcuts and fast travel but not nearly enough imo. The game's maps are fucking massive and most only have 2 maybe 3 benches and only 1 (sometimes 0) fast travel points. Towards the end of the game I was really feeling burned out due to the massive amounts of backtracking I had too do. This is even worse when you reach a tough section that causes you to die a lot. Some of the walks this game puts you through are fucking brutal, the dreamgate can help mitigate some of this but I didn't even get that until I almost beat the game, and even then it's not a complete panacea for all of the backtracking. Backtracking to get a new item or find a new route is great, backtracking because you keep dying or are just try to get to point B is annoying. Unfortunately the game has way more of the latter than the former. I wanted to go for one of the better endings and was pretty close to getting it but I was honestly feeling super burned out by the end. Both from the backtracking and the massive amount of content the game has. Maybe I'll go back in the future to try to get more endings but I'm content for now.

Overall I still really liked the game. And it's making me want to go back and play one of the many Metroidvania's In my backlog.

Also fuck this guy
latest
and this bitch too
latest

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't too big a fan of Momodora, but SotN and Super Metroid have aged pretty well so go ahead and play those. Bloodstained and Blasphemous are fantastic modern alternatives to SotN, particularly Bloodstained.

Apr 28, 2020
Hollow Knight was great, but do agree with you on some of the frustrating parts. Also the story was a bit odd - didn't really follow what was going on.

SOTN and Metroid are close...would maybe go with SOTN for the music and variety. Super Metroid if you want a space setting.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
top tier metroidvania, even if the last dlc was something super trollish.
OP, play SOTN before Super Metroid: SM has a structure very similar to HK while SOTN let you be strong as fuck very easily, it's the perfect metroidvania if you want to have an easy good time.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The worst thing about the nail upgrade imo is how easily you can miss the Nailsmith. I pretty much done 80% of the main game when i noticed some part of the map was unexplored and it was the nail upgrade room lol I made a lot of bosses a lot harder than it should be because of that.

Jun 13, 2020
I personally never felt like the nail wasn't powerful enough. The combination of the notches and the charged attacks made it so the enemies would never feel too tanky, for me at least. I do agree that it's weird that you get the last nail upgrade basically right at the end of the game.

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
The combat art animation all of that was just almost perfect.

but I'd get lost from time to time and not know where to go. I think I gave up when I was lost for like 6 hours. All I was doing was just roaming the map endlessly. I guess I'm not good at using maps or exploration in hardcore Metroidvanias.

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with your frustrations. Way too few fast travel points. I had no clue what the story was when I played through it, but then watched a Youtube video explaining it and it was actually interesting. Like Dark Souls, it has an intriguing world and lore but it's told incredibly poorly.

Apr 13, 2019
One of my favorite games. The criticisms are valid but eventually you get good at traversing the map. One thing that bugged the hell out of me was having to use an ability slot just to know where you are on the map.

Despite that I love the game and the soundtrack is incredible. Hope they use the same person for Silksong.

Also, you are absolutely correct about these two. Fuck them.

Also fuck this guy
latest
and this bitch too
latest

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Hollow knight is fantastic, I am going through it now myself. But don't sleep on Blasphemous! It is one of my favorite games from the past two years and it blew me the hell away. Absolutely one of my favorite Metroidvanias.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've tried to get into this game three times. I'll try again and maybe love it, because I like this type of game, but I really wasn't liking the map system, and early on I got lost being unsure where to proceed the game, and the combat has been very repetitive so far. Ori was the best MV game in recent memory imo (haven't played the sequel yet).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think it's a game that REAAAALY rewards exploration, way more than most games. imo it'll be a much better experience if you go in with the goal of not just finishing it, but taking your time to see everything the game has to offer.

i do agree tho that the last the dlc was kinda bs. i didn't bother with it.

One of my favorite games. The criticisms are valid but eventually you get good at traversing the map. One thing that bugged the hell out of me was having to use an ability slot just to know where you are on the map.
this is probably a hot take as i've seen many people have the same complaint as you, but i kinda think it's a genius move. it's almost like a difficulty setting that gives you a handicap if you go for the easy route. after playing the game for a long time or on a second playthrough, it feels really neat to not use the compass and use the notch for other charms.

BolognaOni

Oct 27, 2017
Based on your comments I'd say go for SotN next. More RPG/loot game elements to mix things up a bit.

Unless you're tired of hitting stuff with a sword, in which case Metroid.

Zeron

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
The ability slots really kill this game for me, especially considering some of the things they consider special abilities (seeing your position on the map? Really?). Combined with the difficulty, the whole thing felt actively antagonistic to the player. I love Metroidvania, but this was not for me at all.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Gotta ask is there a mod to add a navigator to the game? I've tried it 3 different times but never on PC so I might try it again. I would love if there was a mod to make navigation just a bit easier tho haha

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Never played SOTN or SM, looking at videos they seem rather dated so I didn't bother.

Momodora and Blasphemous are both good games, but the latter is more memorable for sure, the presentation is fantastic.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta ask is there a mod to add a navigator to the game? I've tried it 3 different times but never on PC so I might try it again. I would love if there was a mod to make navigation just a bit easier tho haha
hollowknight.fandom.com

Wayward Compass

Wayward Compass is a Charm in Hollow Knight. It shows the location of the Knight on the Map. This Charm is useful for exploration and is good during a first playthrough. It is recommended to switch to something more combat-oriented when preparing for a boss battle. Once a keen knowledge of the...

Apr 13, 2019
The ability slots really kill this game for me, especially considering some of the things they consider special abilities (seeing your position on the map? Really?). Combined with the difficulty, the whole thing felt actively antagonistic to the player. I love Metroidvania, but this was not for me at all.

I think that by limiting the ability slots vs total number of abilities the developers wanted players to experiment with different "builds." I was frustrated because there were never enough slots to equip and experiment with new abilities I discovered since the critical abilities already took up most slots. I had enough abilities to wreck any boss, I just couldn't equip them all.

An end-game slot hunt would have been useful.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
best metroidvania in recent years.

Can't wait for Silksong. These must be creating something very special after all these years

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm early into it and liking it a lot, but I am getting frustrated trying to find the next place to go. I feel like everytime I find somewhere new, it just leads me to a shortcut back to where I've already been. I might have to resort to a guide.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Never played SOTN or SM, looking at videos they seem rather dated so I didn't bother.

Super Metroid can feel dated if only due to Samus' jump physics and the weapon/tool selection controls.
SotN still feels the same as a ton of even the more recent Metroidvanias though. If you've played any of the DS Castlevania games you'll know what to expect.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im probably in the minority that didn't find the base game all that hard. If anything, I feel like I was a bit too overpowered at times where I could quite easily tank a boss fight or two. Granted its still not that easy but I definitely don't feel like it was super hard (and certainly never unfairly hard).
Now Nightmare King Grimm... I just beat him again this evening (trying to plat the PS4 port) and yeah he took me an hour or two to recall quite how I managed it last time! He's perfectly manageable once I remembered just how to damage him loads safely, but its definitely the toughest of the bosses you fight up to this point.

I recall the boss rush stuff being somewhat tricky though, I never did do every one of those. So I'll see how that goes...

Definitely one of my favourite Metroidvania's, especially on a replay. Its got a great vibe to the game world, the boss design is especially excellent and dudes like Nightmare King Grimm are super memorable.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I recently started playing Hollow Knight as well. It's a really great game, but I do agree that it's overall size and breath of content necessitates more fast travel points. I'm also not a fan of turning basic functionality, like being able to see where you are on the map, into a game mechanic/ability. Honestly, I personally feel they should have allowed the player to earn an extra 3 charm notches.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Wanted to include that in my OP as well. So fucking cheap lol.
It's interesting, isn't it? My designer brain acknowledges that we get X slots, and if we wanna hardmode it without a map, we get awarded with +1 slot. Flexibility and options are good!

My monkey brain gets very upset that having a map means that I'm forever cursed with having X-1 slots.

UX matters!

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Hornet whipped my ass for quite some time, and Mantis Lords were rough. But the feeling of finally beating them was one of the best feelings in gaming. After that, I kept falling further in love with the game.

Hummel003

Mar 23, 2020
Hollow knight is one of my favorite games. Such a cool game. Does anyone know when the DLC is finally coming? It is taking forever

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hollow knight is one of my favorite games. Such a cool game. Does anyone know when the DLC is finally coming? It is taking forever
No more DLC for Hollow Knight. But there is the sequel, Hollow Knight: Silksong, that's coming at some point. Hopefully it'll release sometime next year. It's a brand new game and it looks amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
HK enveloped me for months but my lizard brain treated it too much like a Souls game, for better or worse.

I will start fresh on the PS+ version and once I feel a rhythm once again I'll pick up my Switch again.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
HK is just incredible.. I'm always in awe at what a 3 person dev team accomplished with it. I'd recommend Blasphemous but it's also worth playing the genre classics like SM and SoTN.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
It's a cool game but I understand your complaints OP. Certain elements were a little too obtuse for my liking as well, like what you need to do to get the "true" ending. I really don't think I would've figured that out without a wiki

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Having just finished very recently (I played through it most of this month); I can definitely understand some of the complaints.

Some of the Bosses were just brutal (Traitor Lord and Hornet 2 were a pain and a half), and some areas are just annoying as hell to get through.
(I wasn't expecting the White Palace to turn the game into goddamn Super Meat Boy...jesus.)

That said, I did most of the stuff in the game apart from some of the Dream Bosses and the "True Ending".
(I really couldn't be bothered to it by the time I beat the game.)

But I certainly enjoyed it given I put forth the effort to actually beat it.
It's also annoying that the one actual good Fast Travel option requires you get quite a bit of Essence for the Dream Nail.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Best game of the last generation. Silksong is number 1 on my anticipated games list right now, too.

Edit: it's also the best metroidvania ever. Momodora is praised a lot here but I thought it was pretty "eh, average." Blasphemous was fun but kinda janky and never really felt like a metroidvania to me.

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Very good game, the Godmaster DLC sucks tho and hiding the true ending behind that kinda ruined the thing for me. lol

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
Finished this yesterday at 86% completion. The sense of exploration and discovery is the best thing about the game, not since the original Dark Souls have I enjoyed exploring a game world so much. It's brilliant.

I have to admit though, the start of the game is quite difficult because of how slowly upgrades are doled out. Once you get some of the better charms and upgrade your nail, you can tank through most bosses. Increasing your range and speed of your nail plus the time you stay invulnerable makes a world of difference.

I'm not sure if I'll go back and do the optional stuff since having a glance at trophy guides, the extra stuff seems brutal.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Blasphemous is so good. It's a lot more oldschool in its encounter design than HK. It feels more dense, compact, and lethal. It's a great follow up to HK.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is the best game in the genre. I'd say SOTN is a bit better than Super Metroid.