• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Like my TV is kinda old ( the UK model of the Samsung MU7000 from 2017 I think) and doesn't have super high nit or whatever it's called ( it does have super low input lag with HDR on though which is great), but even still it's a literal night and day improvement on a none HDR picture, depending on the quality of the game/video you're watching.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
When HDR is done right it looks amazing.

Unfortunately most of the time, in games especiallythe implementation is poor.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
HDR isn't about punchy colors, it's a more natural usage of colors, although the biggest difference isn't the colors displayed, but the selective brightness of the image displayed, which can make parts of the screen brighter than others, vs the whole screen being the same brightness like in SDR. This make highlighs (sun rays, lasers, fire...whatever you may think that cause a brigther image) pop much more, and look more realistic.

Yeh sorry my bad, I do realise that (recently saw HDTV video about it aswell).
I just worded it weirdly.

I had a Samsung Q95T which was at the time one of the brightest TV's with the best HDR. Looked nice in movies, but couldn't really tell that much what I was supposed to see in gaming. For example i tried the Miles Morales HDR toggle and did see the difference, but it didn't make me go "oh this is what I've been missing"

Recently got a CX instead, since the Q95T was crap. Haven't extensively tested it out, but maybe I'll be more impressed this time. Definitely am happier with this TV, hdr looks better to me than the Samsung TV even though it has half the peak brightness.

Think I watched Coming 2 America and something else, and it just looked more realistic like you said.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
After not upgrading my main living room/gaming tv for like 10+ years I finally was able to treat myself to a late Xmas gift and snag a new 4k+HDR TV and man... this screen and my PS5 make magic together.

It's wild watching movies i've seen look SO much better. Strangely my TVs pre-baked settings refuse to go away fully when using Apps directly from the SmartTV menu. I just run all my Disney+ and netflix biz through my PS5 and everything looks fuckin choice.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeh sorry my bad, I do realise that (recently saw HDTV video about it aswell).
I just worded it weirdly.

I had a Samsung Q95T which was at the time one of the brightest TV's with the best HDR. Looked nice in movies, but couldn't really tell that much what I was supposed to see in gaming. For example i tried the Miles Morales HDR toggle and did see the difference, but it didn't make me go "oh this is what I've been missing"

Recently got a CX instead, since the Q95T was crap. Haven't extensively tested it out, but maybe I'll be more impressed this time. Definitely am happier with this TV, hdr looks better to me than the Samsung TV even though it has half the peak brightness.

Think I watched Coming 2 America and something else, and it just looked more realistic like you said.

Yeah movies tend to be better implemented this is true. This is why I want Dolby Vision in games, the implementation would (hopefully) improve with that.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
You got a CX! Congrats! Easily was as big of a visual upgrade as the next gen consoles and 4K. You're getting beautiful HDR, infinite contrast, and true blacks. You're in for a treat! Check out the picture optimization thread on era when you get your TV.

Thanks for the info.
Where can I find it ?
I´m counting seconds here to test it.
Will start with Ghost of Tsushima MP mode !

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
120fps vs 60fps will make the biggest difference in games with quick camera movements like Rocket League and generally any FPS. It's going to be much harder to appreciate in sidescrollers like Ori or games with a fixed camera like Thumper.
I thought the effect would be more pronounced in a sidescroller like Ori and a fast-paced game like Thumper lol.

Tried out some Rocket League and again I can see that it's smoother but I was led to believe the effect was as pronounced as going from 30 to 60. Maybe my expectations were overblown.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
For a while I thought HDR was not a big deal, from looking at in-store demos. Thought to myself, what's the big deal exactly? But it's such a completely different experience when you actually set up your TV in your home. Got a Sony 900H recently and shit just look unbelievable on it. Have tested a handful of HDR movies on streaming services and whatnot and I have been blown away. The Justice League Snydercut and the opening to The Lion King remake left me flabbergasted. It's such a diametrically different experience from my old 1080p TV. The difference is just huge. Colors look deep without being saturated. Image is bright as hell without peaking or looking overexposed. Contrast levels are fantastic without darker colors disappearing into the blackness. I can almost feel the warmth of the sun when it's shining on screen. The format works so well with the darkly lit scenery in JL constantly being bombarded by bright, colorful glowing lights. HDR is a true game changer!

Haven't tested many games since PC is my main gaming rig and HDR is a bit of a pain here (or a lot of a pain). Wanted to test Ace Combat 7 and found out it doesn't even support HDR at all (what the fudge). Wanted to try Ori 2 but apparently I have to go into Windows Display settings first because it won't let me turn on HDR from the in-game menu lol. Ugh. Loaded up a bit of Tetris Effect and FFVIIR on my PS4 and at least that worked pain-free. And they sure looked nice! Gonna have to be on the lookout for more HDR gaming demos. Also disappointed that a game as colorful as Mega Man 11 also does not support HDR at all, like AC7. Sayonara Wild Hearts would probably also look amazing in HDR but offers no support either. I don't understand this shit at all.

As a sidenote, I found HDR to be way, way more noticeable than 4K (compared to 1080p). At 55" and the distance I sit across my TV (which is honestly pretty dang close), the difference in appreciable fine detail is very slight, honestly. Especially for movies. Truly some diminishing returns going on, considering it's literally four times the resolution, at least at this screen size. I imagine you need a truly huge display to get the real benefit of 4K resolution. Honestly what has impressed me the most about 4K so far is the quality of the text in Windows 10 lol. It looks fucking crisp. For games you do get a nice boost in improved image quality of course.

As a second sidenote, this is also the first time I've played something at 120fps. I tried Ori 2 and Thumper, and I weirdly felt like those people that claim they can't see a difference between 30 and 60fps. I mean I could see a difference in motion smoothness but it was very subtle. I kept changing between 60 and 120 in Thumper but it just wasn't the difference I was expecting or hoping to see. Weirdly, again, the biggest difference was in Windows 10, mouse movement feels extremely responsive at 120fps.

Anyways, HDR is fucking fantastic.

If you have Amazon Prime, do yourself a favor and go back and watch/rewatch Grand Tour. The HDR in that series is amazing. Seeing the headlights of the cars actually shining instead of just being bright was a HDR "ah-ha" moment. The Ferrari in the first episode made me glad I had upgraded to 4K/HDR. I now have a Sony 950G and love it (even though it looks like I'll have to wait for my next set before I can experience 120fps).

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I have an LG CX and I've yet to be truly blown away by HDR. I love the picture on my CX and am definitely "wowed" by it, but neither 4K nor HDR has been even close to the same kind of revelation as when we went first moved from standard def (480i/p) to high def (720p).

Also, I'll probably be shamed for this, but I primarily use PS5 and Series X on a LG 4K HDR monitor in my office. Any time I hook them up to my CX I always feel a bit underwhelmed. It doesn't look bad or anything, just not OMG amazing and I kind of prefer how they look on my monitor. And yes, my CX is set up and calibrated properly as are the system settings on both consoles when hooked up to the CX.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Going from LED to OLED will be just as big of an improvement.
Not exactly for me. I went from 1080p SDR TV to a Samsung KS9000 and was blown away seeing native 4k content, as well as 4k + HDR. Got a LG CX much much later and yeah, it looked better but it wasn't exactly as big of an improvement. I appreciate the fact that I don't have any blooming problems anymore though. That was one of the bigger issues I had with the older, edge lit Samsung.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have yet to be absolutely blown away by HDR in movies, which seems to be the opposite of what I'm supposed to see.

Games, on the other hand, have turned out better than I expected. Dirt 5 and Gears 5 have probably been the most noticeable there. I just wish Dirt 5 was a better game....but it looks great. Tetris Effect is neat too, though almost painful if you have even the slightest headache.

I've got a 4K chromecast and fireTV (I think both support HDR, and the TV does show UHD/HDR when I check info) and while some youtube channels look nice there hasn't been anything mindblowing. Even the handful of 4K blurays I've played just look okay...so maybe it's a setting I've missed.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an LG CX and I've yet to be truly blown away by HDR. I love the picture on my CX and am definitely "wowed" by it, but neither 4K nor HDR has been even close to the same kind of revelation as when we went first moved from standard def (480i/p) to high def (720p).

Also, I'll probably be shamed for this, but I primarily use PS5 and Series X on a LG 4K HDR monitor in my office. Any time I hook them up to my CX I always feel a bit underwhelmed. It doesn't look bad or anything, just not OMG amazing and I kind of prefer how they look on my monitor. And yes, my CX is set up and calibrated properly as are the system settings on both consoles when hooked up to the CX.
Is your LG 4K HDR monitor the LG 27GN950-B model?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I pretty much say this in every thread , but Sea of Thieves is one that never fails to impress.

Call of duty Modern Warfare is incredible too, just like every other tech aspect of that game.

Forza Horizon 4 (the demo / intro sequence is a great showcase)

Most Unreal Engine games look good as do most of the frostbite games.
Mass Effect, Battefield, Battlefront all look wonderful.

Spiderman Remastered/ MM look fantastic too.

Red Dead Redemption 2 also looks phenomenal in many of the really naturalistic situations if you switch to the Game mode . Not that passively aggressive labelled "cinematic" mode that was named after I called them out on it😂

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a 4K chromecast and fireTV (I think both support HDR, and the TV does show UHD/HDR when I check info) and while some youtube channels look nice there hasn't been anything mindblowing. Even the handful of 4K blurays I've played just look okay...so maybe it's a setting I've missed.
4k Fire Stick is weird for me the last time I used it and it never worked the way I wanted. You basically get 2 options for HDR and both have their own issues:

Always HDR: makes HDR content look correct but affects SDR content because my TV is slightly dimmer in HDR mode and colors seem to be slightly wrong when HDR is forced.

Adaptive: makes SDR content look correct but affects HDR content because while my TV correctly switches to HDR mode, the colors somehow become desaturated.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
HDR on a PC is no longer really a PITA. Occasionally you have to turn it off for some games but most of it works fine out of the box. This is on a C9 and a Cx

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best. Unfortunately a lot of people buy a cheap/poor HDR supported TV and then complain that it makes no difference or it's better with it off etc.

It's sadly one of those techs that is widely available but only actually worthwhile after a certain quality/price point. Cheap TVs with bad HDR definitely might as well not support it.

But on a decent display? It's amazing.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
4k Fire Stick is weird for me the last time I used it and it never worked the way I wanted. You basically get 2 options for HDR and both have their own issues:

Always HDR: makes HDR content look correct but affects SDR content because my TV is slightly dimmer in HDR mode and colors seem to be slightly wrong when HDR is forced.

Adaptive: makes SDR content look correct but affects HDR content because while my TV correctly switches to HDR mode, the colors somehow become desaturated.

Maybe I should use my chromecast more - right now it's unplugged as I needed another HDMI port for something else. Also, I should check to make sure I have the right ports (I have a feeling only some of them support HDR but maybe that's not a thing any more).

I know my FireTV stick is set to adaptive, as I was playing around with that early on and forcing it to always made regular content look worse. It figures that on top of differing standards we have wonky settings on some devices too. Sucks, as the Series X seems to support it quite well.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, recently went for a 4K HDR TV and it really made a bigger impact than just native 4K. 4K looks truly great, but HDR is a bigger difference for the better. I was impressed with my 700nits entry level tv, must be so much better in higher tier TVs, good thing that this stuff gets more and more accessible every year.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
HDR really blew me away when I first saw it. I'm right there with you in that it was way more noticeable than 4K was.

That said, I also find it to be kind of a bitch. I can never seem to get my TV calibrated right so that most things look okay. Some games are absolutely blown the fuck out, while others are so dark I can't see shit. In-game calibration helps some, but not always and changing my TVs settings just seems to shift which games are problematic.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you have Amazon Prime, do yourself a favor and go back and watch/rewatch Grand Tour. The HDR in that series is amazing. Seeing the headlights of the cars actually shining instead of just being bright was a HDR "ah-ha" moment. The Ferrari in the first episode made me glad I had upgraded to 4K/HDR. I now have a Sony 950G and love it (even though it looks like I'll have to wait for my next set before I can experience 120fps).
Oh nice will give TGT another go, good looking out.
Windows is a pain with this. Grab HDR Profile. Once you add a game to it the program will turn Windows HDR on for you when you start the game and then turn it off once you exit.
Thanks for the tip, will keep this in mind.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Can't fathom how one can't be blown away by proper hdr...especially if you're into that stuff.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Thanks for the tip, will keep this in mind.

For some other non gaming selection of things, There is this great YouTube channel of this guy just filming walking around Tokyo in first person (no speaking).
The videos are really great in HDR and do a really good job of showing non stylised content.

Nice variation in exterior , interiors and other totally normal stuff, but super obvious to see how much better it looks than content you normally see

youtu.be

4K・ Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise・4K HDR

In my travels to Yokohama while riding Seaside AGT train line I noticed this park called Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise and on the way back I walked around...

youtu.be

4K・ Tokyo Harajuku and Omotesando night walk・4K HDR

I came here for Christmas lights but this year they decided not to do lights, probably because of Corona. But still it was many people around and I decided t...

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017

I enjoyed all of the episodes. The first really stood out to me with the HDR content. The computer generated shots of the internals of the McLaren were particularly nice.

Also, if you are just re-watching a couple of episodes, then I also recommend Season 1 Episodes 7 and 8 where they go to Namibia. Those were quite memorable as well.

For some other non gaming selection of things, There is this great YouTube channel of this guy just filming walking around Tokyo in first person (no speaking).
The videos are really great in HDR and do a really good job of showing non stylised content.

Nice variation in exterior , interiors and other totally normal stuff, but super obvious to see how much better it looks than content you normally see

youtu.be

In my travels to Yokohama while riding Seaside AGT train line I noticed this park called Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise and on the way back I walked around...

youtu.be

I came here for Christmas lights but this year they decided not to do lights, probably because of Corona. But still it was many people around and I decided t...

I watch his videos as well. With COVID...it was a nice way to "get out" and take a trip, so-to-speak.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Literally the only thing I dislike about my LG Nanocell 85 is that the HDR stinks on it. It's nice to have 4k and 120hz but the HDR is way too dark.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
HDR isn't about punchy colors, it's a more natural usage of colors, although the biggest difference isn't the colors displayed, but the selective brightness of the image displayed, which can make parts of the screen brighter than others, vs the whole screen being the same brightness like in SDR. This make highlighs (sun rays, lasers, fire...whatever you may think that cause a brigther image) pop much more, and look more realistic.

THIS.. the wider color gamut is great, but the true magic lies within the display capabilities of pumping brightness paired with deep blackness. I find that the 800 nits of the LG CX are more than enough taking into account the true blacks of OLED technology. The highlights are so damn beautiful when done correctly. My favorite examples are FFVIIR, Infamous 2nd Son and Shadow Of The Colossus remake..

It's truly a game changer..

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
HDR is amazing when implemented well, unfortunately it can be a hassle and i hate the colour banding it introduces.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

youtu.be

youtu.be

Yeah, this was the first thing I saw to test 4K HDR video, was really stunned

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy with my TV to be honest. I was surprised how good it looks in total darkness. The way it handles blacks is so much better than my old LED. I'm using this TV as a desktop monitor as well and I absolutely couldn't deal with the burn-in risk.

I own both a CX and the 900h and honestly the CX is better, but the improvements of the CX to me are overblown. The 900h looks great.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I got LG CX last Nov and the first thing I did is try HDR on PS4 in God of War and other games (before my purchase of PS5) and I've been blown away with 4K. It's a killer combination, indeed.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
We spent many late nights trying to get that just right, for people now and future TVs. It always makes me smile seeing people enjoying that.
I played it this past weekend and couldn't put it down. Took a little bit of tweaking with the settings to get right on my x900e, but it is just gorgeous.

Wish the blurriness around the edge of the camera when moving was a little toned down though.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ori 2 with it's HDR implementation + 4K + 120FPS + OLED. It doesn't get much than that for a visual feast

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I have a tv that supports hdr10 and Dolby vision. I honestly can't tell the difference between the two. Is it just my display?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have a tv that supports hdr10 and Dolby vision. I honestly can't tell the difference between the two. Is it just my display?
There isn't much difference between them. Dolby Vision essentially converts HDR10 into something lesser , to better match consumer displays.
It makes a bigger difference on low spec sets.

Dolby Vision becomes mostly entirely irreverent as soon as your display exceeds the content's colour volume.