• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I've never been a huge fan of the Halo franchise. I remember back in the early 2000, this far away, almost mystic time when I played mostly FPSes. I heard about this game called Halo, how it was awesome and a gamechanger in the FPS genre and all that. Then I tried it in a lan house I used to go (oh the 2000s...) and I remember three things about it: It began in this place with grass, I hated it and the assault rifle sucked beyond belief. And that was it for me with Halo.

Until Halo 3, I got utterly caught up by the hype and ended up buying a special edition even though there was no good reason for me to. I just really liked the trailers I guess. Good news was, I didn't have to work for that money but better yet, even if I did, I'd like to believe I would have thought it was a good investment. I did play a lot of Halo 3, finished the campaign at least twice (one in Legendary) and played a good number of hours in multiplayer. I recall having a 995/1000 in that game, the only achievement I didn't get was the one you had to use a Spartan laser to kill two guys. I do think I managed to do that once, but it was in another game mode... so no samurai sword for me. I played a few other Halo games here and there but mostly that was it untill today and the awesomeness that is gamepass.

Why am I telling all this, especially considering very few people will read? Well, because I felt I need to explain the title. Of course Halo: Reach wouldn't be a Call of Duty clone, but I wasn't sure what to expect from the game. Both because I really don't remember how Halo 3 was structured but also because knowing Reach came a few years after Modern Warfare, I expect to see a lot of that game in it. But I didn't. Halo's sandbox nature hit me right in the face for good measure.

It took me a while to really understand it, and some of the mechanics (assasination, vehicle hijacking) were only made known to me in my second playthrough on Legendary (I died a lot). But overall I loved the game. The campaign feels a bit weird, like it is just a bunch of multiplayer maps back to back and at times I felt I had no idea where was foward and where was back, but all the firefights made it worth it. Hijacking one of those tanks just to throw a granade inside or using the jatpack to get inside a Banshee is the kind of stuff that you don't see in other games. There is a clear identity to Reach that even if I don't approve of everything (the visuals in particualr feel very... plastic and unnatural) I will say it's a great FPS.

Anyway, I played Reach twice, one time in Heroic and another one in Legendary, this is how I felt:

IC3idUu.jpg

Holy shit this game is annoying on Legendary. I died so many times... one wrong move and you're dead. Although there were times when everything worked that were beautiful. Once I used a hologram to distract one Elite. I rushed him and killed the fucker with two shotgun shots. Right then I saw another elite and he was gone with anotehr blast and a melee attack. The fact that I shortly afterward was one hitted by a Hunter blast in beyond the point. So is the fact that played that particular checkpoint some 20 times, and in most of them the elite pair killed me. Or is it? I don't know. I really want to know what people think of Halo games on Legendary.

Two things to finish. One: The storytelling was a bit confusing to me. The games move so fast that is hard to keep track of what's going on. So here we are on Reach investiganting an attack. Oh turns out it's the Covenant. Turns out it's a full invasion out of nowhere! Now I'm on space! Now I'm back at a city helping people escape...

Two: Kat-B320. I love her. And I loved her even before playing this game because of her amazing voice pack in XCOM2. Here's to you, Kat (and whoever did that mod, here's to you too).

images

Jan 4, 2018
I remember being disappointed by Halo Reach because I read the Fall of Reach from Nylund before and I was expecting to see Blue Team, Red Team, Johnson, a giant space battle with hundreds of ships, defending the generators of the orbital MAC guns... and nothing.

And I hated how every multiplayer map was recycled from the campaign.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
nah

most Halo games on Legendary don't even feel playtested. Reach, 2, and 5 are the biggest offenders. Halo 1 has the best legendary tho.

heroic is the way to go
2 I get because of stuff like the sniper alleys, but not Reach. I consider 5 a whole other mess because it's not a Bungie game.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The way it's meant to be played.
nah

most Halo games on Legendary don't even feel playtested. Reach, 2, and 5 are the biggest offenders. Halo 1 has the best legendary tho.

heroic is the way to go

I agree with Gundam. You can't call Legendary the nvidia logo when 4/5 of the weapons are useless. Legendary feels like something beyond what they considered balanced, just for the sake of "well, some players will want to do it".

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really, if the games didn't have instant checkpoint reloads, I probably wouldn't bother doing legendary, it's very hard, sometimes enjoyable and exciting, I enjoy the challenge and new tactics, nailing the chains to get an advantage and the fuck it, run moments but without instant reloads, it would be hell. Same with COD which is just madness in comparison to Halo legendary, did the the first six and no more. At least you can play somewhat fair in Halo and workaround things logically but like any hard difficulty, you get shredded because weapons kill easily, who knew and devs haven't invented skynet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I enjoy Halo games the most on Normal or Heroic, doing Legendary Reach co-op with friends was pretty fun but also hilariously frustrating on the last level

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
And I hated how every multiplayer map was recycled from the campaign.
The reverse is actually the case, at least in the case of the actual core design of the maps. All of the multiplayer maps were designed as multiplayer maps first, then passed off to the campaign team to incorporate into the campaign levels, with the visual theming and detail being passed back to the multiplayer team.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I enjoy Halo games the most on Normal or Heroic, doing Legendary Reach co-op with friends was pretty fun but also hilariously frustrating on the last level

I think the frustration of Legendary is connected with your loadout. If the game allows me to have the weapons that I want, then I can deal with the enemies. But often I can't have that desired loadout, and so it becomes a tedious trial and error until things work my way.

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018
Wow, I thought I was the only one that Legendary is too damn hard, and I thought that's because I'm not good at FPS..
I have compulsive habit that I have to beat everything on 1 and then goes to 2, 3..
so I was playing Halo 1 in 2010 on normal and heroic and.. (until then I was really enjoying the game..)
when I encountered legendary, I suddenly lost all interests on playing Halo series.
and to these days I cannot start the series again.
maybe I just have to pass legendary difficulty..

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Me and friend played Halo Reach legendary co-op with the skull that gives everything double health. That's the real nightmare difficulty right there. 4 clips of accurate headshots to take out a single elite. Good thing it was co-op cus I cannot imagine completing that on solo.

ODST is the most interesting and easiest on solo legendary cus you can legitimately stealth through most of that game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Halo Reach on Legendary is the best Halo has been on that difficulty. Save for the space mission.

Danielsff

Aug 5, 2019
Played it on launch. Loved It until 343i begun to mess with the MP. Played the campaign so many times, in Heroic, Legendary, i knew every piece of the game.
Reach is magnificent.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
ORAzkg2.png

I beat Halo Reach solo legendary and thought it was a waste of time. I think the experience is better on Heroic (which I played afterwards) since 90% of my Legendary playthrough was just cheesing the encounters with Energy Pistol + thing that could headshot as you don't really have a ton of options when your armor is basically made out of paper.

Oct 31, 2017
The reason you felt like a lot of the campaign was comprised of multiplayer arenas bolted together is because that's exactly what they did.

Personally, while I love a lot of things about Reach's campaign, that's probably the biggest detraction for me and I wish they wouldn't have been so economical when it came to playspace design and usage across the game. Though it could probably be argued that their decision to use multiplayer spaces in the campaign allowed them to deliver such a feature packed game in Reach that may not have happened otherwise.

And while Legendary in Halo games can be fun, especially cooperatively, I tend to think that Legendary slows Halo's pace down a bit too much and tends to force too much reliance on Plasma Pistols to strip shields. There's something to be said about how Legendary can force you to use more of the tools in the sandbox that players may not use otherwise though and how it makes resource management a much bigger focus of the gameplay that you don't really see in the other difficulty modes.

Playing solo, I tend to feel that Heroic is the sweet spot for challenging fun for pretty much all of the Halo titles.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Halo Reach was a really awesome campaign, even if it's a bit confusing. I read the book The Fall of Reach(I tried to finish it in high school circa 2002/3 last month after I played through the campaign, and I was surprised to see how much was changed. I understand the changes they made, but it feels like they could have tied it into the novel a little better.

The multiplayer isn't very good, but the campaign holds up still.

When it comes to the difficulty, heroic is the sweet spot. Legendary is like veteran in CoD. It's doable, but it's kind of a bitch. Legendary All Skulls On is equivalent to World at War on veteran, lol.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reverse is actually the case, at least in the case of the actual core design of the maps. All of the multiplayer maps were designed as multiplayer maps first, then passed off to the campaign team to incorporate into the campaign levels, with the visual theming and detail being passed back to the multiplayer team.

Some of the map designs though make me question that, alot of the map design in the launch maps don't seem thought out well. Reflection is the obvious exception as it was a Halo 2 map.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 I get because of stuff like the sniper alleys, but not Reach. I consider 5 a whole other mess because it's not a Bungie game.

Reach already really bungles some of the core Halo sandbox - Melee attacks, 1 of 3 pillars of Halo, are severely made less useful thanks to super fast Elite melee insta-kills, and enemies like Hunters are super unfun thanks to the nerfed movement speed and jump height, as well as them getting more defensive options, similar to the elites. Brutes are reverted back to something closer to their Halo 2 version to differentiate them from the Elites, and they get really bullet spongy.

So every enemy in Reach, particularly legendary, is either a big dude that you're encouraged to take pot shots at from a distance, or are cannon fodder 1-shot enemies like grunts and jackals. There's no "Dance" like in Halo 1 or even ODST. Enemy vehicle sections are also just not very fun with shade turrets that are way OP, ridiculous wraith gunners, or swarms of revenants. The usefulness and fun of the Halo sandbox is kind of strangled and feels subpar. Halo 5 takes this stuff to an extreme, and even Halo 4 is guilty of it, but a lot of that stuff started in Reach.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The reason you felt like a lot of the campaign was comprised of multiplayer arenas bolted together is because that's exactly what they did.

Personally, while I love a lot of things about Reach's campaign, that's probably the biggest detraction for me and I wish they wouldn't have been so economical when it came to playspace design and usage across the game. Though it could probably be argued that their decision to use multiplayer spaces in the campaign allowed them to deliver such a feature packed game in Reach that may not have happened otherwise.

And while Legendary in Halo games can be fun, especially cooperatively, I tend to think that Legendary slows Halo's pace down a bit too much and tends to force too much reliance on Plasma Pistols to strip shields. There's something to be said about how Legendary can force you to use more of the tools in the sandbox that players may not use otherwise though and how it makes resource management a much bigger focus of the gameplay that you don't really see in the other difficulty modes.

Playing solo, I tend to feel that Heroic is the sweet spot for challenging fun for pretty much all of the Halo titles.

This is something that I thought about while playing on Legendary. The plasma pistol, for example, I never had to use it on Heroic, but on Legendary I had to google "elite weakness" and find out the that weapon would strip them of their shields. So there were moments that felt really cool, take out the shield with the pistol and then land a headshot with the DMR. But as I hinted at the OP, for everyone of those there was 20 in which I just died to an elite that had a granade launcher that fired like a machine gun.

Dunkey has a cool video about difficult in gaming and he mentions Halo as an example, and this huge difference between Heroic and Legendary. What's the best one? I do think the game is not balanced with Legendary in mind, but it can be very satisfying when things go your way.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i played a bit of Halo Reach on PC. had never played it before.

i just couldn't enjoy it. the aiming felt odd (tried with both kb/m + xb1 controller) and no adjustment of settings made it better. the gun sounds are so...quiet. it just didn't sound/feel right. also, i need to fire loads of bullets into enemies to kill them but i am constantly running out of ammo and i only found one gun to replace my empty one. i ran about for a while with no bullets.

i feel like i'm doing something wrong but anyway i just wasn't having fun so uninstalled it and got my money back. i really do think all the halo games before Halo 4 aren't that great. 4 + 5 i feel are the best gameplay wise.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
nah

heroic is the way to go
Halo 5 was probably one the best balanced titles in the series on Legendary.

You can actually use most of the sandbox unlike previous titles.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with Gundam. You can't call Legendary the nvidia logo when 4/5 of the weapons are useless. Legendary feels like something beyond what they considered balanced, just for the sake of "well, some players will want to do it".

There is a hidden balanced difficulty between Heroic and Legendary that doesn't exist.

Heroic is just as problematic in that it is anchored far too much in favor of the player, never quite offering what I consider a great challenge, while Legendary can often dial it up too far causing some poor play tactics and frustration.

That said, Halo 1 handled Legendary the best and the various sequels couldn't quite find that balance properly again. (Though I've not played 5)

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I really want to know what people think of Halo games on Legendary.
It's basically challenge mode as some of the weapons aren't even viable and you're expected to know how to cheese your way through certain parts. It is not balanced in any way (Weapons, enemy strength, enemy health, etc.). Heroic is the optimum difficulty. I believe the developers themselves have said this before.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've played through most Halo games on Legendary but nowadays I'm not sure I'd have the time for it. It's one of those painful but satisfying things once you look back.

It does feel pretty unfair but it's hard to deny it makes you really appreciate ammo management, map design for good cover, and exploring for hidden caches of weapons that you pretty much have no reason to look for on other difficulties. I didn't really appreciate Halo level design until I played it on Legendary.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Halo games on Legendary feel right to me, Heroic is far too easy having played the series since CE's release.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically challenge mode as some of the weapons aren't even viable and you're expected to know how to cheese your way through certain parts. It is not balanced in any way (Weapons, enemy strength, enemy health, etc.). Heroic is the optimum difficulty. I believe the developers themselves have said this before.

I think the old games would list Heroic as the "the way the game was designed to be played" or something like that.

Going back to Reach with the PC release was kinda fun. It's not my favourite, but it has really strong highs. At the time, I was really taken how they redesigned everything for a "darker" story.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Legendary co-op with Iron Skull (or equivalent) is the best way to play Halo for me. I love how the games force a good amount of communication, coordination, and individual skill to get through them. Of course, there are some bullshit spots here and there, but it is generally manageable.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would play Halo games solo legendary back in the day, but 5 is a slog so I haven't completed it yet. I also haven't bothered playing the MCC on legendary because of how buggy it is. I can roll my eyes and deal with it on heroic, but I'd be pissed if I had to restart a legendary mission because the ground refuses to load in.

Reach was one of my favorites for a legendary solo run. There are some sections at the end that are just grueling. Beating it was one extremely satisfying.

Halo 4 on legendary is what really cemented it as my least favorite game in the franchise, potentially one of my least favorite games I've ever played. Every game up to that point felt really well-crafted, with great checkpoints, level design, and enemy AI. 4 is the first one that felt cheap and unfair to me. I ended up cheesing my way through it, but even that is less satisfying since there are a lot of points where you are forced to kill all enemies to proceed.

Oct 28, 2017
I would play Halo games solo legendary back in the day, but 5 is a slog so I haven't completed it yet. I also haven't bothered playing the MCC on legendary because of how buggy it is. I can roll my eyes and deal with it on heroic, but I'd be pissed if I had to restart a legendary mission because the ground refuses to load in.

Reach was one of my favorites for a legendary solo run. There are some sections at the end that are just grueling. Beating it was one extremely satisfying.

Halo 4 on legendary is what really cemented it as my least favorite game in the franchise, potentially one of my least favorite games I've ever played. Every game up to that point felt really well-crafted, with great checkpoints, level design, and enemy AI. 4 is the first one that felt cheap and unfair to me. I ended up cheesing my way through it, but even that is less satisfying since there are a lot of points where you are forced to kill all enemies to proceed.

I beat Halo 1-4 on legendary a couple weeks ago and had no problems at all. Achievement tracking, levels not loading, i didnt experience a single problem throughout. If your jonesing to play some Halo on Legendary i think the MCC is a fantastic package and is the best way to play those games today.

Dec 25, 2018
did reach solo on Legendary once upon a time in the ancient days of the early 2010's, don't think ill do it again on MCC, last level in particular was a chore if I remember (had particular frustration getting past a pair of hunters at one stage).
Heroics about as far as ill go for the current MCC playthrough.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Two things to finish. One: The storytelling was a bit confusing to me. The games move so fast that is hard to keep track of what's going on. So here we are on Reach investiganting an attack. Oh turns out it's the Covenant. Turns out it's a full invasion out of nowhere! Now I'm on space! Now I'm back at a city helping people escape...
Yeah, the battle of Reach was lost very quickly despite being a major fight and one of the strongest worlds/defenses humanity had. The way was really one sided and that was part of the message with Reach.

There is a book that explains things a lot better, in great details etc. It gives a lot more background to characters such as Halsey and Cortana, Keys etc. In a lot of ways Reach felt like a tribute or fan service game.

Two: Kat-B320. I love her. And I loved her even before playing this game because of her amazing voice pack in XCOM2. Here's to you, Kat (and whoever did that mod, here's to you too).

Really cool character. One of my favourites from Noble Team.

I really want to know what people think of Halo games on Legendary.

There are certain encounters that are really difficult in Legendary, even in Heroic they can be pretty tough. The thing with Legendary is how easily you die. It comes down to knowing the encounters and then prioritizing your targets. You also need to be able to execute them of course. As an example if you're about to fight two elites, stickying one then plasma pistol overcharge and headshot follow up the other will quickly resolve that encounter.

The best difficulty imo is Heroic with some skulls on. Not all skulls, but a few makes the game a bit more challenging without the crazy one shots every two steps. It allows for reckless plays while being tougher than regular heroic.

The worst time I had with Legendary was Halo 2 I think. I just remember flying bugs and snipers being huge assholes to deal with. They were tough in other games but fuck nothing felt similar to some of the Halo 2 sniper nests.

That said, Legendary feels like a cake walk after LASO runs.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Halo 1-4 on legendary a couple weeks ago and had no problems at all. Achievement tracking, levels not loading, i didnt experience a single problem throughout. If your jonesing to play some Halo on Legendary i think the MCC is a fantastic package and is the best way to play those games today.

2 is just unfair on Legendary, and 5 is just a slog more than anything. The others all feel completely fair and manageable, if tough.

Oct 28, 2017
2 is just unfair on Legendary, and 5 is just a slog more than anything. The others all feel completely fair and manageable, if tough.
I never beat halo 5 on Legendary. In fact i only beat it once when it came out and never cared to go back. I also think Halo 2 is a bit unfair and may have cheated with a scarab gun or two.

I saved this clip yesterday.

Yeah i never saw anything like this lol. Even when MCC was in its infancy i never had a level not load in.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Legendary is the best way to play? How is it the best way to play when it makes some weapons worthless and requires "cheesing" some encounters (i.e. a vehicle, weapon, or path was provided for the mission but you don't use it because it will lead to a quick death) . People need to get off the "Look at me! I play games on hard mode" thing. Heroic is probably the most well rounded difficulty.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I would play Halo games solo legendary back in the day, but 5 is a slog so I haven't completed it yet.

I actually played 5 through on legendary on my first go of it. Awful idea, but I did it

The biggest problem is that it's fundamentally designed differently to bungie titles. It just spams enemy pods. And because you have ai partners is gives you multiple times more enemies than previous halo games normally would. That and the forerunner soldiers teleporting everywhere is BS.

The saving grace though is that you have a lot of maneuverability to escape danger, and you can use your ai partners as suicidal distractions to get the enemies and bosses to turn around.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo 5 was probably one the best balanced titles in the series on Legendary.

You can actually use most of the sandbox unlike previous titles.

I disagree. I've completed them all on Legendary apart from 2 and 5, and 5 was just un-fun. There's tools you can use, but it's just a pain in the ass. Got about half way through before I gave up. 1 and 4 were the most enjoyable imo.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Halo on Legendary since Halo 2 is that both Bungie andv343i gave enemies massive damage boosts and even the ability for enemy weapons and vehicles (Fuel Rod) to track you or starting in Reach gave the enemy dropships concussive abilities.

Starting with Reach aswell after Halo 3/ODST there have even been less chances and ways to destroy enemy dropships before they drop off enemy troops. Heck they never even made it possible to destroy spirit dropships.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The Breaking is the worst Halo level in any game, ever, and you can not convince me otherwise
Besides the final Warden fight The Breaking was fine. It wasn't particularly inspired but there was nothing egregious about it.

I disagree. I've completed them all on Legendary apart from 2 and 5, and 5 was just un-fun. There's tools you can use, but it's just a pain in the ass. Got about half way through before I gave up. 1 and 4 were the most enjoyable imo.
I completely disagree for two reasons.

First: The increased maneuverability combined with the denser level design allow for far more movement on Legendary (and just generally to be honest). Whereas in other Halos you'd often find yourself pinned down on Legendary, in 5 you can travel across entire arenas with relative ease.

Secondly: The sandbox is actually balanced for legendary. In other Halos the majority of weapons are useless on Legendary - this isn't the case with 5. You still need to be using the right tools for the job, an AR isn't going to work well against a Knight for example, however, you have far more freedom in your choice of weapon and there are far more useful weapons in 5 than other Halo. Enemies are also less bullet spongey in 5's legendary than other Halos (besides the Warden) which generally just makes the experience more enjoyable.

Halo 5 is probably the easiest game on Legendary, but it's also the most balanced.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did a full LASO co-op playthrough and it wasn't the worst thing ever, with the exception of the helicopter mission. Probably one of the most frustrating things I've done in a video game

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed (for myself that is). I always play the campaign on Legendary. Cairo Station in Halo 2 is the one level that is just too fucking hard on Legendary.

Yep, I just finished off a legendary run of H2:A on PC and was surprised the first level was the hardest by a country mile. I must of died 20 times doing the sections where they drop off ships at the start.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I just finished off a legendary run of H2:A on PC and was surprised the first level was the hardest by a country mile. I must of died 20 times doing the sections where they drop off ships at the start.

Man I'm nearly done with LASO on CE, and then we'll be jumping into Halo 2 and idk how that is even going to work lmao.