• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
So Greedfall was one of this months PS+ releases and as you might be able to tell, I quite enjoyed it. I'm looking for some more games in a similar vein to play in the future, so here's a quick summation of things I liked:

• Party companions (even if dialogue and characterization was sparse unless they were relevant to the mission), and that even though it wasn't super common the fact that they had input here and there, or applied stat bonuses when in the party or at certain relationship levels
  • The setting of a native, magical land being colonized by pseudo-Europeans/Middle East. I enjoy fantasy, pseudo-historical stuff a lot. Sci-fi could have an appeal too, but it's not my first love, and I'd take high fantasy before it too usually.
  • The general gameplay loop (dialogue choices, chasing down leads, not super frequent combat) was very addictive. I understand the criticism that there's way too much backtracking or having to travel, but in the earlier hours it was very enjoyable
  • The combat itself was actually pretty fun for me. I rarely use magic in games and this was no different - I focused on traps/phials/gun/one handed sword for most of the game and really actually enjoyed it. I could wipe out enemies pretty easily but if I wasn't careful just a few hits could take me out as well and I love that glass cannon approach to combat where it feels more "real". Also, tactical pause is great too, I'm not great at action and it feels good to cool off for a second if I need to re-strategize
  • Exploration was fantastic. I don't love massive open worlds with millions of checkpoint tasks to do, nor do I want a linear hallway of action. This game basically nailed the level of exploration I most desire, even if the map sucked and the cities could be labyrinthine in their design which was frustrating in early hours
  • Side quests were meaningful. By which I mean they felt just as integral and designed as main quests, often with a decent level of depth to them
  • Skill checks are fun (apologies to Xenoblade 2 critics, but I like the concept more than the execution there). I liked your character build could change dialogue choices, or what loot you could attain, or what approach to the terrain you could manage.
Anyway, it might be puzzling why I came out enamored with a AA middling reviewed RPG, but I just don't have a lot of experience in the genre. As a kid I played and enjoyed Baldurs Gate 1+2, but did not beat them. Later I played the Snowblind hack'nslashers and Bard's Tale, but I know that's pretty different from the genre staples. And that's pretty much it.

Now for recommendations, I'm pretty much keeping it to what is available on my PS5/Switch. To get a head start, I will say for immediate purposes I'm looking at:

Vampyr - was also free, pseudo-historical and presumably dialogue-dependant, I'll probably play this next
Technomancer - I don't really want to play a game that is described as functionally the same as Greedfall right away, but it's like $4 on the PlayStation store right now so I'll put it in the library
Elex? - seeing some recommendations for this when I googled Greedfall recommendations, don't know anything about it though

Some suggestions I imagine I'll get but maybe don't have much interest in-

Fallout/Elder Scrolls - I watched and played a bit of Oblivion and FO3 with a girlfriend years ago. I don't think these games are for me
Witcher 3 - already have from PS+, but was never too interested for some reason. I know it's supposedly the king of side quest design, but something about the character Geralt seems obnoxious, and I was always very sceptical of the fact the game looked so very white, and people defended that whiteness as if a game about fantasy shit should be grounded in a historical whiteness. Plus with all of CDPRs other shit I just don't really want to support them. Maybe I should watch the show at some point?
Dragon Age: Inquisition - I don't know much about it except that it was criticized as a kind of vapid, meaningless romp. I'm somewhat more interested in the first two games if they're ever ported. Change my mind if possible.
Mass Effect - never really appealed to me. Maybe when the trilogy is cheap on sale in the far future.

I don't really mind if its third person or isometric, real time, real-time with pause, turn based, etc. I don't like first person typically though.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I thoroughly enjoyed Greedfall. Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2, plus KotoR and KotoR 2 are probably four of my favorite games that feel similar.

Idk if you can play them on any of the consoles you listed but I played them all on integrated graphics on a laptop with a 6th gen I5, so it's not like they require much to run these days.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Gothic 1 and 2 if you can stomach the control scheme and graphics. By far the cream of the top.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think you should give Pillars of Eternity a try. It's the same gameplay style as a Baldur's Gate (isometric RTwP), has some great companions and side quests and takes place in essentially the fantasy 15/1600's. The historical analogies aren't as overt as what I've seen of Greedfall but you can see the influences in a lot of little places. It's slow to get going and the load times/performance aren't great, but it's worth the time for the world and characters imo. Plus the combat is a lot of fun if you like that style.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Vampyr - was also free, pseudo-historical and presumably dialogue-dependant, I'll probably play this next
Yes! I think you'll like it, based on what you said about Greedfall. I enjoyed both games for mostly the same reasons you listed for Greedfall. I wrote detailed impressions on Vampyr a while back too, if you're interested.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you'd like Divinity: OS 2. It's one of the best RPG''s around and it plays really well on console. It's an isometric, turn-based game, so it's very different than Greedfall, but the role-playing elements and quest design is top of its class.

I also wouldn't count out DA: Inquisition. There's plenty of fun to be had with it, in spite of its short comings.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I called Greedfall "the best Bioware game" of last gen, even though it wasn't made by Bioware.

So I heavily recommend you check out some of Bioware's output. Yes, that includes Dragon Age: Inquisition which was VERY good at times (and very dull at others; don't try and do EVERYTHING...), and with the Mass Effect Legendary Edition coming out soon, that's a PERFECT jump-on point for a great series and one of my personal favorite universes of all time.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 doesn't check off all your boxes but it might still come closer to what you're looking for than you'd think, at least among recent games. I understand your reservations (I share them, maybe even more so since I've always been hot and cold on CDPR going back to the first Witcher game) but it's still a great game with the mechanics and writing that might fill the void you're looking for.

Beyond that, Greedfall clearly models itself off of early/mid-Bioware more than any other games imo, so I'd check out some of the older Bioware games like Dragon Age: Origins (decent RPG, closest you'll get without taking a nosedive graphically), KOTOR (a classic, but shows its age), KOTOR 2 (not Bioware, better than the first in every way, but you should probably play KOTOR 1 first), Jade Empire (a fun diversion). They all have that cheesy earnestness that Greedfall has, which is fun.

More recent Bioware games than those will occasionally have some of the elements you're talking about (party members, the very rare and occasional skill check, exploration, etc.) but they're all pretty thin and you won't get more than one or two of those boxes checked per game.

Aug 23, 2018
You'd definitely like dragon age origins or DA 2. I prefer Origins but you might like Dragon Age 2 more based on what you liked on Greedfall

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
You could try Outward. It's a bit janky but has survival elements like temperature and starvation. it's pretty good and had some dlc add ons recently.

There's also the Risen games but I think only Risen 3 is on ps4 and backwards compatible on ps5. The other two didn't come out on ps4 I think, but not sure.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I do have a PS3 I just don't see myself being motivated enough to plug it in and play anything, but maybe if I come across a great deal for something I'll keep titles available in mind. My laptop is like 9 years old though and it's pretty rare I play anything on it even if I can run it.

I totally forgot about PS Now, though. I only have a months subscription I've been sitting on since trying to get my PS5 from the Sony site, but just at a glance I see The Surge 2 on there (I bought The Surge for cheapsies but only played it for like an hour, didn't like it). I see Pillars of Eternity is also there, so I'll definitely get some value out of that month.

I forgot I've actually played a bit of KOTOR, but it was on my phone and not the best experience. Pretty good though.

Never even heard of Outward but it looks right up my alley and I'll keep an eye on it going on sale. It sounds very appealing even if I doubt I could convince a friend to play it with me.

Thanks for many great suggestions, I'm trying to figure out what to keep an eye on for sales etc and should load myself up on the genre this year lol. Like I said I imagine I'll start Vampyr soon, and after reading through your thread Morrigan it definitely sounds like I'll love it.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Even with a 9 year old laptop you may be able to run KotOR and KotOR 2. If you can figure out what processor you have I'll let you know.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Greedfall is basically just an (arguably)lesser version of Dragon Age: Inquisition, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. Technomancer is a bad game. Elex is alright, but you have to be down for euro-jank to enjoy it. You might enjoy the Divinity: Original Sin games, but aside from that, sticking to the consoles kind of limits your choices.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i suggest giving elder scrolls/fallout another shot. you will not get better "modern" wrpgs than that, barring isometric crpgs which are in and of itself an acquired taste

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Planescape Torment is available on Switch and I believe is on sale right now. Bundled with Icewind Dale I think. Though still stupidly overpriced if you have any other way to play it.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Dude, play Witcher 3! Its soooooo good. Vampyr is also a good choice but its not as good as Witcher 3.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Wasteland 3 is my GOTY. Great writing and worldbuilding. Rewarding exploration. Meaningful choices. Satisfying character/party building and combat. Terrific OST. Plus it's on GamePass.

Also highly recommend: Pathologic 2, Divinity Original Sin II, Kingdom Come Deliverance, ELEX, Witcher 3.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall and Hong Kong deserves a better look even tho they aren't fantasy imo. Setting aside, they check all the boxes.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I recommend Divinity 2. I dont have much to say about it, but what you want to be, you can be what you want in D2

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
I've always been interested in Greedfall, heard good things about the game and got it free from PS+. But I'm holding out for the PS5 upgrade. Any news on a release date? Just did a quick google but found nothing.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Played Greedfall on the One X late last year. It was interesting but ran...badly.

Planned on trying again on the Series X but...I forgot.

Should I resume it? I'm still in the Victorian/London place, I haven't set sailed yet, doing random micro-quests.

OP
OP
Jakenbakin

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Have added many games to psprices to await price drops. Some are currently on sale (like Planescape) but I'm in no hurry to spend my money while I work through other titles so I'll keep waiting. Maybe I'll even try The Witcher 3 while waiting, I don't know...

Played Greedfall on the One X late last year. It was interesting but ran...badly.

Planned on trying again on the Series X but...I forgot.

Should I resume it? I'm still in the Victorian/London place, I haven't set sailed yet, doing random micro-quests.
When it comes to performance I'm a terrible arbiter. As the person before you said there's supposed to be a performance patch (and supposedly new content) in the future for next gen, but the official communication on when is 🤷‍♂️ I'd definitely suggest waiting for it, though, as there's some rough visual elements currently that I imagine will get cleaned up.

Wasteland 3 is my GOTY. Great writing and worldbuilding. Rewarding exploration. Meaningful choices. Satisfying character/party building and combat. Terrific OST. Plus it's on GamePass.

Also highly recommend: Pathologic 2, Divinity Original Sin II, Kingdom Come Deliverance, ELEX, Witcher 3.

I watched the (hbomberguy?) video on Pathologic. With you mentioning it and it being on sale I'm just straight up buying that one lol.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the (hbomberguy?) video on Pathologic. With you mentioning it and it being on sale I'm just straight up buying that one lol.

Last year's GOTY! Great choice. You're in for a terribly painful but glorious time. I've already played through it twice and still can't get it out of my head.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I saw that you mentioned that you didn't care for Fallout 3 or Oblivion, still... I simply must recommend Fallout New Vegas. While it may look like Oblivion or Fallout 3, it actually has excellent RPG mechanics, freedom in quests like few other games offer and a very liberal dose of skill checks in dialogue and quest resolution. Several quality companions too, who all have their own quests. Great, great game. Modern enough that it doesn't feel simply archaic like the first two yet rooted enough in old fashioned RPG sensibilities to still offer what makes some of those old games so very great. Maybe my favorite game ever. Great stuff. Great, great stuff. It made me an Obsidian fan for life.

Don't let your distaste of Bethesda games fool you. It shares the look and it shares the engine, but it is not like them. No ridiculous level scaling. You can go anywhere at first, sure.... But you WILL find things punching way above your weight. The game has a very clear path to follow... To a certain point. You aren't just floundering I'm the desert. Deep, satisfying, well written and fantastic.

Just so you know, you will get to a point in the game where the story choices blossom. It gave me the worst choice paralysis I've ever had! But in the very best way.

Oh, and also it doesn't ram combat down your throat either just so you know. Yes, it's there

I could gush all day.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Elex and Risen 3 are probably the closest ones to Greedfall, 3rd person, janky action combat, companions, etc.

But if you haven't played Dragon Age Inquisition, then you should. It's probably the most polished modern AAA WRPG there is, alongside The Witcher 3. Inquisition also has great companions and a pretty strong story, especially if you play all the way through the DLCs, which most people miss out on.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Love Greedfall but I put it on hold now till the Next Gen Patch gets released. I put a lot of hours into the PS4 version but the framerate made me go get the PC Version.