• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
Thanks for the info! I'll try it during a slow month or when I grow tired of endless RPG games, maybe I'll even try to play the first one again but I fear this will make my interest for 2 die quickly.

TBH with Gravity Rush I had the same sensation as another game I think you love: XCX, but for different reasons. Played most both games (hidden village seems to be far into GR) and ended up leaving it because I felt that the whole experience was lacking something. In the case of XCX it was a main story and in this case it's a better gameplay feel, but these are two of the few recent games I've played during most of the game and didn't finish, which is a funny coincidence.
I'd say you were like 80% done GR1 depending on if you did the extra missions. So yeah you were pretty close. And that's pretty funny; at the very least GR2 is nowhere near as long as XCX haha

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The PS4 version of Gravity Rush is probably my favourite remaster of all time. I loved the game on the Vita, but man, on the PS4 it is such a marked improvement. There is the graphical bump of course, which makes the game look gorgeous on the big screen, but the controls are sooo much better. To the point where getting the platinum on the PS4 is ten times easier than on the Vita. The challenges become a cinch with the dual shock 4.

Anyway, Gravity Rush - best protagonist ever (after George Stobbart of course) and best means of traversal ever, yada yada yada. I'll never stop wishing for a third game.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you get all the DLC mission trophies so that you can admire how stupid the trophy interface is on PS4 compared to Vita

Oct 25, 2017
_9KIauaIK6Mzw1DqzudYA0T-m7FW0mMuUK2hrZAMZTw.jpg

Me and the homies when we find another "never killed a man" family member.
LMAO

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, look; people with amazing taste congregating in the thread

Glad you enjoyed your time with it, OP. I still think about the series often. 1 and 2 are easily my favorite PS4 games. No other game , for me at least, has come close to capturing the charm these two exude.

OP
OP
definedMF

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Oh, look; people with amazing taste congregating in the thread

Glad you enjoyed your time with it, OP. I still think about the series often. 1 and 2 are easily my favorite PS4 games. No other game , for me at least, has come close to capturing the charm these two exude.
They are the only games in the Sony eco-system, with the much anticipated MediEvil, that call back to the PS2 game-design of the Ratchet, Sly, and Jak and Daxter series. I played it immediately after Astral Chain and it was such a breath of fresh-air where a game wasn't trying to be 5 different things at once but was focused and concise with its content.

Oct 26, 2017
They are the only games in the Sony eco-system, with the much anticipated MediEvil, that call back to the PS2 game-design of the Ratchet, Sly, and Jak and Daxter series. I played it immediately after Astral Chain and it was such a breath of fresh-air where a game wasn't trying to be 5 different things at once but was focused and concise with its content.

that's an eloquent way of putting it and i would have not made that connection unless you had mentioned it. You're right

OP
OP
definedMF

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
that's an eloquent way of putting it and i would have not made that connection unless you had mentioned it. You're right
Wish the GR OT was more active to discuss this with all the like minded people. I think you liking/disliking GR is a good litmus test for peoples gaming opinions.
Glad you liked it, OP. Go for 2 sometime, it ties the loose ends of the first. I for one plan on playing both again on the PS5 if its BC is as simple as downloading the games again.

Anjuju intensifies
I plan on playing 2 in the future! I felt the same urge I felt after playing Yakuza 0 only a few months back, rare for any series these days make me want to go out and buy/play the next game immediately after.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I played through both GR2 and GRR for the first time a couple months ago. I started with GR2 because I wasn't sure if GR held up, especially since it was on a handheld. Since I ended up enjoying GR2 so much I went back and played GRR. GR2 is better in every possible way. Kat's movement is what makes the game for me. Collecting the pink gems was maybe my favorite part of the entire game because of all the mobility options, especially when you unlock all the gravity styles. "Falling" upwards or going into free-falls to fall between the different layers of the city never got old. Hell, I even enjoyed mining for ore because of it. It was oddly relaxing. It's a game that feels like it's part of an older generation and I haven't played a game like it in quite some time (in the triple A space). The story started off intriguing but goes to full on batshit crazy anime by the end of it. I wish they would've stuck to a more poignant story and continued to explore things like classism and segregation since the anime stuff was not nearly as interesting. I also wish they didn't dive so deeply into Kat's backstory.
I liked how she was simply a girl who fell from the sky and getting bits of pieces of her past. The last chapter of the game where it explains everything in painful exposition and seeing everything play out in boring, predictable fashion was a huge bummer. I legit try and forget I even witnessed that.
In spite of my grievances with the direction the story went, I still enjoyed the hell out of the game and would be there day one for GR3.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I really liked this game. i have yet to play the sequel. i heard it was bloated compare to the first one and that game really did not need that. that's kept me from buying it

Nov 17, 2017
I think it should always be mentioned how wonderful the art direction is in this series. I always thought that it had a stark French comic book feel and after doing a quick search realized that's exactly what it's going for.

gravityrushinsert.jpg

If you ever look at the buildings and structures, as you move away from them, their textures disappear into colored silhouettes and you just see the outlines as if they were drawn just like in the comic above:

gravity-rush-remastered-0010.jpg
128863608.jpeg

It's probably not a coincidence that the series uses comic book pages for certain cutscenes too.

Gravity-Rush-2-Sales-1024x796.jpg

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it should always be mentioned how wonderful the art direction is in this series. I always thought that it had a stark French comic book feel and after doing a quick search realized that's exactly what it's going for.

gravityrushinsert.jpg

If you ever look at the buildings and structures, as you move away from them, their textures disappear into colored silhouettes and you just see the outlines as if they were drawn just like in the comic above:

gravity-rush-remastered-0010.jpg
128863608.jpeg

It's probably not a coincidence that the series uses comic book pages for certain cutscenes too.

Gravity-Rush-2-Sales-1024x796.jpg

Yup, the game's artistic direction was top to bottom fantastic

Oct 27, 2017
Had fun with the floating mechanics and traversal in general but anything that called for precision likely led to frustration. Beautiful game though, no doubt.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
It was cheaper to import this game from China (it's completely in English) than to buy the North American version. Of course digital was much cheaper than even that, but I'll take a physical copy most days of the week.

It was a great game overall (7/10 in my book), but I absolutely hate the mission where you're free-falling. Almost made me quit at that point. I've had the second game since launch and still need to get into it, but it's on the list!

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush 2 are two of my favorite games of the last console generation. I adored GR1 on Vita, and the PS4 Remaster was excellent and beautiful. Gravity Rush 2 took everything I loved about Gravity Rush 1, and expanded on it, with an even more enjoyable story, and fleshing Kat out as a disgustingly lovable protagonist. It breaks my heart we won't get a third, because I'd have loved to have had a trilogy of games featuring her.

The art design, music, gameplay, story, characters, were just so damn endearing. I wish they had sold more, but I'm so glad they exist anyway. At least I got 2 beautiful games I can revisit whenever I want. I grabbed the physical copy from Amazon day 1, and am so glad I did. Ditto for the Vita version. I just knew I'd want to have a physical version of this game for all time. XD