• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a third installment of the franchise?

• GIMME THREE

Votes: 101 51.5%
  • 2 bombed, they should leave it as it is.

Votes: 83 42.3%
  • Spin-Off with Raven

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
LTTP: Gravity Rush 2, will there be a part 3?

Just finished the game.

I absolutely devoured the first game on vita, it was my GOAT and GOTG. The graphics, the controls the first "coloured" video game protagonist which was done right and likable for me. Love KAT! I loved the style, the music… I still listen from time to time to the soundtrack. I know, the controls during fights were messy, the missions were sort of weird… but despite that, I loved the way how I was using the gravity shifting powers. Never felt this good to fly around in a game. When I heard, there will be part 2, I was so excited… and then they said, this is going to be a ps4 title, welp, can't help it and waited… and then it happened 2017.
I was busy in that year, so I didn't get the chance to play it on day 1 like gravity rush back on my vita. I started the game because I heard they are going to switch the servers for the game so I thought what kind of online usage is in there… in the end these dusty coins were very irrelevant, so the buzz was actually nonsense. Yeah, you heard it, a fan said that.

So back to Gravity Rush 2.
The Game starts very slow. In fact, I felt face-slapped, "why does it not feel good anymore", I thought. I instantly realized, that they have literally changed nothing about the problems from the first game. Sloppy controls, shitty camera was feelable in the first 5minutes.
And now to the ending of the game without any spoilers:
After the credits, there were another wooping 3-4h of gameplay hidden!!! I have never witnessed something like this before in game, what the fuck, that's kojima-borderline, if you ask me. It was a rollercoaster-ride, because after the "the first ending" there was a stealth, a puzzle, a platform section and then the real final boss came out. And the final boss fight… well and the FPS went down to almost 5FPS during that fight.

The game felt really good at the end, but I left with the feeling, that this is a very uninspired part 2 stretched into a 30h game. I think without the very shitty fetch-quests with no real reason/story behind them, the game would had been the same length as part 1.

Another good question is: do you think, that part 2 is a graphical downgrade compared to part 1 on vita?

IMHO I feel like that. The limitation of the vita made this:
1ugk8d.jpg

While part 2 looked like this:
20cjor.jpeg

My point is: in the background, part1 looked more like cel-shading(thick black outlines of buildings due technical limitations)
and this is why i like the first game more than the second.
While part 2 showed everything in the distance a bit hazier.

Do you think there will be part 3?
As a fan, do you want to get a part 3?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
One of my favourite games of the gen, and probably my favourite OST in the past few years too.

I'm pretty sure that Part 3 is the post credits section though.
It feels super rushed in places like they crammed it in there to give closure when they realised there would be no GR3. Imagine if those reveals were given space to breath in their own game...

Also it sucks the servers are turned off now. Does that mean new people can't earn costumes anymore?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Did this game sell like a gallillion copies and imitates cinema?

You've got that answer.

Oct 27, 2017
Not in a near future since Toyama is working on something new, but few things could bring me more happiness than a Gravity Rush 3 one day <3

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure the series has ended there and Toyama has moved on to something new. Personally I felt like the game did a really poor job of resolving mysteries set-up by the first game, and with bad mission design (terrible stealth) and really bad boss fights to boot.

In fact, I felt face-slapped, "why does it not feel good anymore", I thought. I instantly realized, that they have literally changed nothing about the problems from the first game. Sloppy controls, shitty camera was feelable in the first 5minutes.

Yeah, this was probably the thing I disliked most about the game. It released nearly 5 years after the Vita original and yet it didn't feel any better to play. I felt like the camera was considerably worse, personally. It was both my most hyped and most disappointing game of 2017.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Your title and your poll are asking two different things.

will there be a third game? No.

should there be one? Yes.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
1 is significantly better than 2. Those stealth missions are way too much for the second games and the additional power ups are kinda whack and not very intuitive.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely not what Team Silent is doing next at the very least, according to interviews they've given.

I loved both 1 and 2.

... Also, there's the free Raven DLC story if you haven't done it OP.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
2j9UzJd.png

The highs of 2 are much higher than 1 but the low points of the game are also lower than 1. Overall I prefer 2 but I think they commend each other nicely as a complete package. Especially because of the ending. The first ending in GR2 feels much like an ending to the sequences of GR2 itself but the 2nd ending feels like it draws in everything and wraps it up for the series.

I hope we get GR3.

Another good question is: do you think, that part 2 is a graphical downgrade compared to part 1 on vita?

I don't really think so. I do like Herskeville's aesthetics but the variety of locations and visuals in GR2 knock it out of the park easily.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 is a mess, but I love it to death. Give me GR3, a Raven spinoff, an anime series and bring Kat to Smash, please.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I started the game because I heard they are going to switch the servers for the game so I thought what kind of online usage is in there… in the end these dusty coins were very irrelevant, so the buzz was actually nonsense. Yeah, you heard it, a fan said that.

I also disagree with this somewhat. The Dusty Tokens aren't particularly useful, I'd say you get the better items such as the work outfit pretty early too. But the treasure hunts are quite enjoyable. A lot of clever photos from other players and it would be one aspect I'd like to see expanded upon in a sequel.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking loved GR2! I thought is was better in every way than one; which I absolutely loved as well.

it a fucking tragedy that this series will end at 2..

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Rush/Daze fans:
maxresdefault.jpg

Sony:
7d65f9_fc2a928b8eaa4e0ebce51a7e1eba11d4~mv2.png

Savour and appreciate what you have with the first two games. They capture a Kiki's Delivery Service-style spice-of-life vibe of a kid venturing out on their own, find their way in life while flying through a beautiful city, and they're the only games like them.

If there's opportunity to refine the series' excellent sense of falling and soaring through the air (how do you replicate the feel of wind-rushing-past-you, tumbling-through-the-air falling, yet make it feel pleasant? GR is how), and they can design better missions around it, then by all means make a sequel. Even if it can only be marginally better than the previous entries, it would be worth it.

If that doesn't happen, we got two of these games somehow, and some semblance of a an epilogue, so enjoy them.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there should be a part 3. But there won't be. Frankly I'm shocked it got a sequel at all.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If it sells well, I'm sure sequel number 3 would be considered.

But alas...

2 games and not even Paris Game Week 2019 attendances know who the main character...

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
One of the key things that really hooked me about gravity rush was how many of the side quests were not inherently about combat. Deliveries, taxi'ing people around, photographs, races. Sure, not all of them were mechanically polished but it just felt nice touch to the game.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The game felt really good at the end, but I left with the feeling, that this is a very uninspired part 2 stretched into a 30h game. I think without the very shitty fetch-quests with no real reason/story behind them, the game would had been the same length as part 1.
The world building is really awesome, I loved it (and that's why balloon search was the best thing the game offered and you couldn't have experienced it).
The rest of the game, not so much. Like you said, it is a stretched sequel, nothing more. It almost making me hate the game.
I don't want a part 3 if is "just" the same game as part 2.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
One of the key things that really hooked me about gravity rush was how many of the side quests were not inherently about combat. Deliveries, taxi'ing people around, photographs, races. Sure, not all of them were mechanically polished but it just felt nice touch to the game.
It's just a wonderfully warm world, and they did a fab job of positioning Kat as a plucky underdog.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
2 was such a conflicting sequel. Like, it's way too long, and takes way way way too long to get to the really good crazy stuff (whereas the first is like, really well paced), but then also there is a ton of good stuff about it too. It just has such a bloated beginning and middle and also some really annoying sidequests (although with the posters above I agree I loved how varied they were and I did them all because I loved doing things in the world). And the worst part of the game is right before the coolest part of the game, probably because some story stuff FINALLY HAPPENS, and it's actually really cool, especially since some of it was teased in the first game.

Also some of that good stuff that it had would include the online mode

which sony removed

and tried to do that like, what a year after the game came out? And only didn't because of online petitions?

So it doesn't sound like they have a lot of faith in the franchise. Sadly, I don't see it happening, and that makes me really sad. I'm replaying the first game on my Vita rather slowly and man every time I boot it up it makes me smile. Has such charm.

EDIT: I'm sorry OP but your poll is bad. Everyone is universally saying the option that isn't listed there: No it won't, but yes it should.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Gravity Rush 2 might have been two steps forward, three steps back after the first game, but it's still five steps ahead of most other games out there.

Gravity Rush as a series is something to be cherished for a myriad of reasons, namely its protagonist, method of traversal and music, all of which are just pure magic. There definitely was a feeling of (rushed) finality in 2's overarching story, but elements of the IP are too damn good to put a stop to. It's still easily one of the most charming and bewitching superhero franchises in the medium, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd like to think that if a new one were to be made, Sony outside of Japan would actually fucking acknowledge its existence this time around, now that Shawn Layden is out of the picture.

Nov 8, 2017
If they make another one, they need to go back to 60fps like the first game on PS4. Being 30fps was one of the big reasons that the sequel felt worse than the original, and also one of the reasons I never finished the original game on Vita, and yet Platinumed the PS4 version.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
the last few hours of GR2 were basically a rushed GR3. They did all they had to do to end the series, even if they missed their initial goals. The series had a rocky life.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I should play Gravity Rush for real, pretty much all I did in the short time I played was drop pedestrians from the sky and smack them against walls. that was fun though.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You're crazy OP. The cell shading on distant object kind of looked broken in GR1. Like how the models began the blur into the fog but the cell shading doesn't. I too miss the hard cell shading and thought it was weird that they got rid of it but kept the comic cutscenes but regardless, GR2 looks so, so much better.

Also as much as I loved both games, I'd rather Toyama make something new or return to Siren like what's being rumoured.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is Sony ever gonna give this on ps plus ? I m not willing to buy it but I m willing to play it :p

Oct 30, 2017
GR2 was phenomenal in every way.... brilliantly designed and the last fee hours of the game blew my mind for all the good reasons, now that's how you shake things up in your games.

I really want Part 3... but sadly I don't think we will ever get it :-(

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It bombed, so that's one thing, but I also don't think it was really all that good. The mission design is awful. How about the Vertical Kick Hallway level at 2 fps.

Oct 25, 2017
GR2 was basically GR2 and GR3 in the same game. Things got crazy toward the end and the ending itself.... Even if the IP never comes back, I think I'm good with how everything wrapped up for the most part. Of course, GR3 would be an automatic day 1 if it does happen.

Snormy Your icon is great.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
I think everyone that touched the series would love Gravity Rush 3, however sales were pretty bad, so sadly it may not be happening, but here's hoping.