• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wanna play it and get into it but only single player. How much stuff is there to do (without using MT) is there a progression system?

I really suck at racing games and don't have the patience to get better without brake assists and don't turn off any assists otherwise I'll just get frustrated and turn the game off thinking it's not for me when I suck so bad

Everyone says the game is good but only for its online? If the single player is barebones then why should I play it? Not interested in online.

There's tons to do in single player now. Between GT League, driving school, missions, circuit experience, and just doing time trials and random AI races, you could easily pour hundreds of hours into the game and never touch online at all. That's what I've been doing. I still haven't ventured online, and don't really plan to any time soon. Basically, if you're worried about a lack of single player content, don't be.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
There's tons to do in single player now. Between GT League, driving school, missions, circuit experience, and just doing time trials and random AI races, you could easily pour hundreds of hours into the game and never touch online at all. That's what I've been doing. I still haven't ventured online, and don't really plan to any time soon. Basically, if you're worried about a lack of single player content, don't be.
Is it still fun if I use assists? I know for a fact if I turn off things like brake assist I'll just drop the game.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so intrigued by the game but feel like it's not worth it unless you have a competent racing set up.
Controller is great. The support for it is good enough I know someone that manages to get into the GT Sports league by being one of the best players in his region just by using a controller.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
Surprised at the reaction here. I remember this being panned at release. It's better now?
It probably the best console racer out there with ease. For me its gotg easily! Played it almost daily since release. And with the post launch support its such an amazing game. And btw i didnt think the game was barebones when launched. I enjoyed it. But now it is better. And i really understand ops story. Once u are getting gt sport it becomes a addiction. Its that good !

KdotIX

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Played GT all my life using a controller. GT Sport is 100% accessible with the controller and you will be surprised that controller players can absolutely mix it in with the serious wheel users.
When I was racing a few members from this forum in the ResetEra League I was using a controller and it was mostly a good few races and always close.
After 20+ years using a controller I've only just bought a wheel and I'm learning all over again but the key is I'm more consistent with my laptimes which in itself is great because I mostly play online now.
I would absolutely recommend turning off assists (except ABS, leave that at default) and using MT. When you get used to it, it becomes second nature, even on a controller and you have so much more control of the car and can put in some serious laptimes.
After your fun with SP content I would seriously recommend the Sport mode online races, they're very good and mostly clean. Also I hear a lot of people say they don't think they're ready for online - take those thoughts and throw them out the window. The amount you learn from racing online is incredible - it will really elevate your game and your enjoyment of the title.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I've never really been into sim racing. I love racing games, but mostly stick to arcade stuff. I think the closest thing to a sim racer I ever got really into was Driveclub. Or maybe Sega GT 2002 way back in the day. But I never really "got" sim racers. Lately I'd gotten the urge to play a racing game. At first I figured I'd just redownload Driveclub, but something about the impending server shutdown soured me on that. A lot of the fun I had with the game was beating my friends' times on the leaderboards, and if all that is going to go away in a few months, then what's the point? So I decided to look around for something new. There's a bunch of racing games on sale on PSN right now, and I looked into several of them. Dirt Rally, Dirt 4, the Project Cars games, etc. Even tried the PCars 2 demo and pretty quickly realized that it wasn't for me. Then I thought about Gran Turismo Sport.

At first I dismissed the idea of picking it up. After all, PCars didn't click with me, and GT is a sim just like PCars, right? Then I started reading a bit about the differences between the games, and noticed the general consensus was that GT is much friendlier to newcomers than PCars. Then I noticed that GT is only $20 now. But I still wasn't quite sold. There was still the worry that I'd bounce off the game like I had so many other sim racers in the past. Then I started looking at the track selection in GT, and noticed the Tokyo Expressway stages.

I think that did it. See, back in the Dreamcast days, I had a lot of fun with the Tokyo Xtreme Racer games. I've missed that franchise a lot (bring it back Genki, you cowards), and seeing that I could somewhat recreate that experience with GT Sport was what finally pushed me over the edge and convinced me to try it. So I picked it up. And after a hefty 90-ish GB download, I started it up.

I started doing some time trials to get a feel for the controls, and right off the bat I was surprised at how well I was doing. Not great by any means, but I was hitting corners alright and not throwing myself into barricades too much. Then I took a look in the options and realized why I was doing so well. Auto braking was turned on. I turned that off and immediately realized that yeah, I had some practicing to do. So I hit the driving school tests. They were tough, but manageable. Definitely not nearly as insurmountable as I remembered the ones in GT2 being. Eventually, I got gold on all of them. All, that is, save for the last one.

This was my "the real Gran Turismo starts here" moment.

The final driving school challenge is a time trial on Dragon Trail Seaside. 1:50.200 is the target time for gold. My first successful lap (after many, many restarts) was 1:57.xxx. And I have to admit, I nearly gave up there. How was I going to shave a full seven seconds off my time? That seemed like an incredibly tall order. But I kept trying. And trying. And trying. A couple hours later, I had gotten my time down to 1:54.xxx. Good enough for silver, at least, but still not the gold I needed. After several more tries, frustration was setting in, big time. I took a short break to eat, and decided to check out a Youtube video for some tips (which, in retrospect, I should have done much sooner than I did). When I resumed, I took what I had learned from the video and tried to put it into practice.

And...it still wasn't enough.

For some reason, however, I kept trying. Over and over and over. I can't even estimate how many times I ran that course. Almost certainly over a hundred. After a while though, something clicked. My times started going down. 1:53, 1:52...suddenly, the gold medal didn't seem all that impossible. Several more attempts later, my time was down to 1:50.3xx. I was so close. Frustratingly close. It had been five hours since I had started my attempts on the final stage. I probably should have stopped playing long before this. But at this point, I was so close that I couldn't stop until I got the gold.

And a few attempts later, it finally happened. 1:49.306. I had done it, and nearly a full second faster than I needed, at that.

To anyone reading this who's deep into GT, I probably sound like a child celebrating the first time they tied their shoes on their own. But at that moment, I felt like I'd conquered one of the greatest challenges I'd ever encountered in my nearly three decades of playing video games. And I also started to feel like I finally "understood" Gran Turismo. I'm still very much a beginner, of course, but the game doesn't feel so unapproachable and intimidating anymore. I'm working my way through the missions and GT League stuff now, and it's all going pretty well (except for when the missions throw a rally stage at me, dirt tracks are the worst). It's probably the most fun I've had with a racing game in a long, long time. And this goes without saying, but man is the game ever beautiful to boot. It's an absolute joy to play and I'm so glad I gave it a chance, and glad I didn't give up on that last lesson, even after hours of consecutive failures.

So yeah, GT Sport. It's good. Real good. And while I'm probably not going to venture online any time soon, I'm gonna keep plugging away at the single player content (of which there's a ton now, by the way) and enjoying every fun and sometimes frustrating moment of it.

(And maybe one day I'll stop being a baby and actually learn to use MT. Told you I'm still very much a beginner!)
The pursuit eggs you on to achieve great things that didn't seem possible. It does feel really good.

Although I'm a Gran Turismo veteran (since the very first) the new rain update is providing a great challenge. Once I get the win in the GR2 challenge I'll too feel like a kid again.

For you, the change to MT will be a massive leap forward. It's really rewarding. With your mindset I expect you'll eventually turn off more assists and immerse yourself in the craft.

Good times ahead.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wanna play it and get into it but only single player. How much stuff is there to do (without using MT) is there a progression system?

I really suck at racing games and don't have the patience to get better without brake assists and don't turn off any assists otherwise I'll just get frustrated and turn the game off thinking it's not for me when I suck so bad

Everyone says the game is good but only for its online? If the single player is barebones then why should I play it? Not interested in online.
Dont Buy this game but you're not interested in online racing the single-player stuff is not correctly very good are fleshed out.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
For some reason, however, I kept trying. Over and over and over. I can't even estimate how many times I ran that course. Almost certainly over a hundred. After a while though, something clicked. My times started going down. 1:53, 1:52...suddenly, the gold medal didn't seem all that impossible. Several more attempts later, my time was down to 1:50.3xx. I was so close. Frustratingly close. It had been five hours since I had started my attempts on the final stage. I probably should have stopped playing long before this. But at this point, I was so close that I couldn't stop until I got the gold.

That reminds me on Driveclubs Venom Hot Lap 2 xD

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If you loved retrying a stage to get your time down, you will love circuit experience.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Surprised at the reaction here. I remember this being panned at release. It's better now?
It wasn't panned for it's gameplay, critics couldn't get over the fact it had way less content than before. Which is funny because it was the same case for GT3 yet critics didn't care it only had a fraction compared to GT2 and they had just come off of complaining about GT5/6 having too much content opposed to quality. GTS focused on quality over content at the start and it was as polished as the first four games but now it's focusing on content.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I kinda wanna get it now but that 50gb download really scaring me lol. I'll probably wait for the eventual GT7 on PS5 haha

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

In terms of sheer quantity, there's a lot and they add more with each update. However Imo the true meat of the game is racing online

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The single player modes in GT Sport are actually really, really good!

If only it had a proper campaign mode. I think we'll get that in its next iteration.

Also, surprised people are still posting as if this game is light on content. There's a ton of tracks/cars and challenges.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Great write up OP. This was the GT that got me too! I was a former Forza guy.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear OP, my first GT title was 3 and it grabbed me in a very similar vein... despite every critic who complains about the driving tests feeling outdated I find them to be fantastic and a cornerstone of the Gran Turismo experience.

That feeling of starting a run and going from what was initially a seemingly unattainable target 5+ sec away and just improving each braking point, each corner lap after lap until those 5 seconds simply disappear feels amazing.

I remember if I ever had half an hour of free time I would just fire up GT3 and loading a Time Trial (AI opponents became boring after a while), choosing the Toyota Castrol Tom's Supra and just do laps trying to shave tenths of a second of my personal time on different tracks.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Looking for a new driving game, put a far number of hours in the last 3 Forzas on PC, getting a bit bored of it now. Wondering whether to pick this up or wait for the new Grid.

Very much a casual single player gamer who doesn't mind taking assists off but cannot be bothered with tuning cars is it worth it?

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Is online filled with people who will crash into you on purpose to stop you, this also giving you a penalty? I remember reading that was a complaint

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Is online filled with people who will crash into you on purpose to stop you, this also giving you a penalty? I remember reading that was a complaint

The penalty and ranking system makes it so that people are trying their best NOT to crash into you. In early ranks novice players are of course scrappy, but this is the cleanest console racer online.

Very much a casual single player gamer who doesn't mind taking assists off but cannot be bothered with tuning cars is it worth it?

Tuning is optional and in single player it just makes races easier, not more complicated.

Last edited:

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the OP. I will say that I absolutely want a wheel for GT sport. I just refuse to get one until I know which ones will work on the PS5. I have a DFGT and got burned by it not getting support on the PS4. So I will wait till I know which wheels work on both the 4 and 5.

Edit:
I am interested in a good racing wheel mount/seat setup. Any recommendations? Something foldable is preferred.
I think the DriverHub enables your wheel to work on the PS4, but it's $100 so I understand that many would avoid that. The Fanatec Direct Drive wheels were just released and nobody can confirm if they'll work on PS5 yet people are still buying them up at €1,500! Just crazy

I don't know very much about rigs, I'm looking for a more serious one myself (I use a GT Omega with my ikea rocking chair). Just browsing around, I saw a couple foldable rigs. Maybe they're not sturdy enough because I notice frequent talk about flex issues.

For myself, I'd love something simple and elegant like this

27vizwvy6vi31.jpg

OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, another beginner tip: Go into the sound options and set the BGM playlist to "Transmission mode". That'll turn off all the licensed music and you'll be left with nothing but superior Gran Turismo original music.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The penalty system isn't perfect, and there's times where you'll be blamed for something you didn't cause. But no, since you always want to have an S sportmanship rating you'll very rarely get people divebombing you or pushing you off, even at the lowest driver rating ranks. It's definitely better than not having penalties, just look at the chaos that Forza online was before they put their own penalty system.

Enjoy it! I'd really recommend you to do the driving school before jumping to anything else. I know you said you liked assists, but I'd also really reccomend spending a bit with manual transmission, trust me, it becomes second nature after 3 races.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Enjoy it ;)
Just remove all assists, the assists actually make your car much slower. Just leave the traction control in 1 or 2 depending of the car. If you feel the car is sliding too much on corners. The best would be to leave it at 0 but some more powerfull cars can be harder to handle so placing the traction control at 1 or 2 let you control the car better without losing too much speed.

Oh, another beginner tip: Go into the sound options and set the BGM playlist to "Transmission mode". That'll turn off all the licensed music and you'll be left with nothing but superior Gran Turismo original music.
You can also increase the engine sound, as by default is not at max, and it sounds great with maxed engine sound. For races i actually turned off all music and placed sound engine at max.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so remember in the OP when I said this:

I'm working my way through the missions and GT League stuff now, and it's all going pretty well (except for when the missions throw a rally stage at me, dirt tracks are the worst).

Yeah so I've found something even worse than the final driving school challenge. Mission 4-6, Colorado Springs Night Rally. I'm pretty sure I've now attempted this more times than Dragon Trail. Please help, it's consuming my life and I just want to get the gold and move on. No matter how hard I try, the best I can get is 2nd (one time I was literally nudging the 1st place car but choked on the final corner, gahhhhh). I've already got TCS at 0 and torque distribution at 50:50. Any further advice would be very much appreciated.

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game, but it's so demanding in terms of skill level (especially online) that I find it more exhausting than fun to play.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

Thers alot of single player activities. Thye lack a sense of continuity so they can feel more like side content than a proper single player game. But there's tons of the stuff, and you can achieve some sense of car pg immersion if you get into it.

I wouldn't worry about trying to run without the assist. If it's more fun to run like that, just leave them on. The important thing is that you're able to settle in on a track and get in zone. That's what's fun. Not necessarily bombing for first place all the time.

No, the decent driver-rating sport races are very orderly.

EXCEPT FOR THAT ONE FUCKING GUY

Last edited:

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Yeah so I've found something even worse than the final driving school challenge. Mission 4-6, Colorado Springs Night Rally. I'm pretty sure I've now attempted this more times than Dragon Trail. Please help, it's consuming my life and I just want to get the gold and move on. No matter how hard I try, the best I can get is 2nd (one time I was literally nudging the 1st place car but choked on the final corner, gahhhhh). I've already got TCS at 0 and torque distribution at 50:50. Any further advice would be very much appreciated.
In Rally races try to go slow in corners. if you manage to do the corner for the inside and start acelerating as soon the corner end you go flying. Usually going rally style with the car sideways on corners, if you go too wide is bad as you will be losing alot of time even if it feels thats the way you should be doing the corner.

Rallys are tricky, but once you know the track and where the corners are and do them all from the inside, you will not have much trouble. And once your in 1st, just dont let the guy behind overtake you even if you have to block the passage. :D

I think i know what race ur talking about, i remember also having some trouble in night rally races because it was extra hard to see where the corners are.

Last edited:

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I remember that one. It was excruciating. You need to use MT, TCS = 0, bias your front brakes a little bit. Brake into corners a bit early, shift to lower gear(s), rotate the car and get on the gas more slightly more aggressively than normal road driving. You'll slide a bit but that is what I did to get first.

Edit:
Also use the full extent of the track. Try to take an aggressive racing line.

Edit 2:
Am I the only person that wants more rally courses and rally cars? I loved rally events in GT Sport.

OP
OP
Seraphis Cain

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
In Rally races try to go slow in corners. if you manage to do the corner for the inside and start acelerating as soon the corner end you go flying. Usually going rally style with the car sideways on corners, if you go too wide is bad as you will be losing alot of time even if it feels thats the way you should be doing the corner.

Rallys are tricky, but once you know the track and where the corners are and do them all from the inside, you will not have much trouble. And once your in 1st, just dont let the guy behind overtake you even if you have to block the passage. :D

I think i know what race ur talking about, i remember also having some trouble in night rally races because it was extra hard to see where the corners are.

I remember that one. It was excruciating. You need to use MT, TCS = 0, bias your front brakes a little bit. Brake into corners a bit early, shift to lower gear(s), rotate the car and get on the gas more slightly more aggressively than normal road driving. You'll slide a bit but that is what I did to get first.

Edit:
Also use the full extent of the track. Try to take an aggressive racing line.

Edit 2:
Am I the only person that wants more rally courses and rally cars? I loved rally events in GT Sport.

Thanks for the advice. I actually got it just after Ænima post. So, so glad to finally be done with that. Hopefully that's the last of the rally stages in mission mode, though I get the feeling it's probably not.

Here's a replay of my run if you want to see it. Was basically right down to the wire there at the end. I made a fair few mistakes, so I'm kinda surprised I still got it, lol.

EDIT: Lol, watching it back now, I realize I didn't have a single clean overtake the entire race.

Last edited:

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017

Use a gear higher than you would normally to avoid spinning the tires when coming out of corners.

Edit: oh you got it, grats!

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
So yeah, GT Sport. It's good. Real good. And while I'm probably not going to venture online any time soon, I'm gonna keep plugging away at the single player content (of which there's a ton now, by the way) and enjoying every fun and sometimes frustrating moment of it.
OP I highly encourage you to get on those Sport daily races ASAP. Everything you described in the OP is what I felt when I started doing races in Sport. Really tough going back to Campaign now.
You get a driver ranking and a sportsmanship ranking. If you prioritize racing clean your sportmanship ranking will get quickly boosted so that you're at least driving with people not throwing the race or trying to wreck you out of spite. At that point everybody's actually focused on driving well and the online becomes insanely fun.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Okay, I'm going through the tutorial, and I'm able to complete them, but something about breaking into a turn doesn't seem to work for me.

1MmRsgW.png

In my mind I should be able to break into a curve and accelerate out like A. Maybe the red line should last a little bit longer; there's a difference between conceptualizing driving and actually doing it. I know how to make a turn in real life, albeit obviously not at the speeds you're going at in this game. Which is maybe the problem.

But when I try to start breaking when the game tells you to, no matter how slowly I ease into the break, I always seem to have too much control. The vehicle seems like it's able to turn far more than it should, extremely abruptly. And as I slowly attempt to turn left, I find myself coming to a near complete stop not even halfway through the curve. It feels bizarre, like something that shouldn't be able to happen when you're turning a steering wheel. Or at the speed I'm traveling at. Like B.

But if I wait just a little bit more, I seem to lose control. Suddenly it's like the vehicles is going much, much faster and I struggle to make the turn. Like C.

I've done it and I've completed one of these tight, hairpin turns with silver and sometimes even gold. But it's not as smooth as it should be, and I'm not able to break into the curve, accelerate out like I feel like I should be able to. What seems to work best is tapping the break, or tapping the gas pedal even. Just intuitively.

What am I doing wrong? Should I maybe try switching to manual? (I don't know how to drive manual in real life, but I seem to recall it not being that complicated or hard to master for Gran Turismo).

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Hah, I had no idea.

As much as I like Courtney Barnett I'll be taking this option.

Okay, I'm going through the tutorial, and I'm able to complete them, but something about breaking into a turn doesn't seem to work for me.

1MmRsgW.png

In my mind I should be able to break into a curve and accelerate out like A. Maybe the red line should last a little bit longer; there's a difference between conceptualizing driving and actually doing it. I know how to make a turn in real life, albeit obviously not at the speeds you're going at in this game. Which is maybe the problem.

But when I try to start breaking when the game tells you to, no matter how slowly I ease into the break, I always seem to have too much control. The vehicle seems like it's able to turn far more than it should, extremely abruptly. And as I slowly attempt to turn left, I find myself coming to a near complete stop not even halfway through the curve. It feels bizarre, like something that shouldn't be able to happen when you're turning a steering wheel. Or at the speed I'm traveling at. Like B.

But if I wait just a little bit more, I seem to lose control. Suddenly it's like the vehicles is going much, much faster and I struggle to make the turn. Like C.

I've done it and I've completed one of these tight, hairpin turns with silver and sometimes even gold. But it's not as smooth as it should be, and I'm not able to break into the curve, accelerate out like I feel like I should be able to. What seems to work best is tapping the break, or tapping the gas pedal even. Just intuitively.

What am I doing wrong? Should I maybe try switching to manual? (I don't know how to drive manual in real life, but I seem to recall it not being that complicated or hard to master for Gran Turismo).

Ideally, you should be be performing all of your braking in a straight line. Pick your marker before you enter into the curve. Brake as quickly as you can without losing traction until you hit your target speed. Stop braking, and then make your turn. If you've chosen your speed correctly you'll go right across the apex of the turn on your left. One you're past the apex apply as much throttle as you can without losing traction, and finish your turn.

Last edited:

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017

1MmRsgW.png

This video will go to detail on why a geometric line (A) through a corner is not the fastest line.

Edit: Don't look at the in game "brake!" indicator, it has tons of play to keep people from driving like missiles. Get a feel for when to brake, the cones are much better indicators when to brake (Double cone for braking zone, single cones for entry, apex, exit.) but even they are not 100% the correct braking point for every car and every tire compound.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this sounds like discovering the magic in racing. The pursuit of cracking off that perfect lap. I know the license/challenges tend to get a lot of flak but the way that they encourage discovery and honing of techniques and your own ability is a great gateway into seeing what makes racing games fun. Against real drivers is another layer of complexity.

No hyperbole: GT was Dark Souls before Dark Souls.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Just turned this on and it's much better. I like some of the licensed music, but the rest is kind of grating. Thanks for the tip!

1MmRsgW.png

(A) is called trail braking and it's my natural inclination as well (especially when I'm behind or trying to catch up). The problem is it changes the car balance mid turn from all the weight being on the front right to the back right. RWD cars absorb that change better, but all cars will either understeer causing you to brake / not put on as much power or you'll wildly oversteer and spin out.

Brake (as much as possible) in a straight line, let of the brake, then steer. Depending on the turn you can coast to the apex all the way up to full throttle immediately. This always feels slower (to me), but it is much quicker.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

1MmRsgW.png

I never use the breaks on corners, unless I entered the corner way too fast. What i do is breaking in a straight line before entering the corner, then using the throttle to control the speed during the corner, and going full throttle when the corner is about to end.