• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wish I could share all your enthusiasm. Tried it recently and thought it was okay. Was really hyped after the fight with the stranger and the cool cut scenes. But I found the combat to be really dull and traversing the environments not very engaging either. There were some really cool moments, but everything in between I found to be really mediocre.

While trying to get through GoW TLOUII released I played that for a while and after finishing the game I tried to go back to finish GoW. But I found it too boring to try and continue.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
Played it on day 1. Deliberately avoided NG+ or getting the platinum trophy on the PS4, because I loved the game so freaking much, I wanted to save the platinum run for a replay.

Thought now would be a good time to replay on the PS5, but someone mentioned how awesome the axe would feel with the new haptic feedback on the DualSense. So now I'm waiting for an official PS5 upgrade from Santa Monica Studio before replaying. Please SMS!

What's a MOTG? My Google-fu has failed me, I know GOTG is Game of The Generation, but googling MOTG is only showing me pictures of moths, and I have moth/butterfly phobia!

It was a typo huahauahua
It is GOTG :)
Sorry for that :)

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't know there was a PS5 patch in the works. When is that supposed to be out and what's it supposed to do?

I can't wait to dive in on PS5. I played a good chunk of the game but never finished it.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I played and beat all GoW games and was never gaga about them but this one was so damn great. Satisfying and weighty combat without losing the god of war-ness of it. Great story, great visuals, never felt like a chore, great pacing. Never even noticed it was all one take because they didn't overplay that gimmick, it all just felt natural. Such a great game. Platted it.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
What an amazing experience. GOTG
It is on my to-do list to play it again on the PS5

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is by far my favorite combat in an action game. The Leviathan Axe has to be the best feeling weapon in a game. However designed that deserves an award.

Oct 31, 2017
So after finishing Bugsnax and Astro's Playroom I decided the next game I wanted to finish on my PS5 was God of War. A game that I'd heard praised to hell and back but never sat down and actually played through it. I decided to finally bite the bullet and see what the hype is about.

...and yeah, it's pretty fucking good. The game immediately grabbed my attention with the fight against "The Stranger". I have a passing knowledge of Norse mythology so I think I have an idea of who he is, but I'm happy to watch the game unfold and see if I'm right.

Still in the early game, but the combat is snappy and satisfying and the acting in it is so far great. I played the old God of War games way back when and it's interesting to see Kratos' character transition from unhinged revenge obsessed madman to a gruff father who's trying to make his son strong enough to survive the harsh world they inhabit.

God of War was a game I was worried about for a little because I wondered if the running around/dialogue would be too much and the combat would be nerfed.

My feared were unfounded. The combat is excellent, and it especially clicked with me during one of the side worlds. And the dialogue is fantastic. Won't give anything way, but a certain character really makes for some great conversation later.

In fact, I was very impressed with the writing in this game overall. I've never found God of War funny and never thought it tried to be, and while this isn't a "funny" game, there are some truly funny character moments. It also helps that this version of Kratos is so endearing. GOW3 Kratos was just, "I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!" and was the most one-note of any of the games, but I feel this game actually makes all of that better. We'll see what you think once you beat it.

Oct 31, 2017
Just met the world serpent...that was pretty fucking cool.

Fantastic intro, but this reminds me: the exploration in this game is so fucking good.

It's interesting because the world isn't HUGE, but it's sizable with so much to find. You're gonna row around and stumble upon places with great loot, which could even be your new favorite Runic attack. You're constantly rewarded for looking around, seeing things to break, looking for side paths, and rowing around the world. You may find a puzzle you don't know how to complete, but you'll just make a mental note and try again later.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
The problem I had with this game are:
- there is never a climax
- boss fights
- story is never really interesting

Overall is a good game, but also a big missed opportunity. I am hoping on the sequel.
Oh, get the extra ending, its short but worth it.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the same situation, OP. I skipped out on much of the PS4 exclusives as I didn't have a lot time to play anything (work/school/career changes/starting and closing a business/buying and selling a house/getting married). As a fan of the series, it absolutely killed me to know how good this game was whilst also not really being able to dedicate time to play it. Well, fast forward to now, I managed to pick up a PS5 (can't open until Christmas though - a promise is a promise) and a TON of PS4 games. After diving into Astro, this is definitely next on the list. I'm looking forward to it! Cheers!

(I'm honestly proud of how much I've been able to avoid spoilers until now. Not an easy task!! Lots of nope nope nope...)

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it's top 2 or 3 GOTG. The whole risk to try something like this in this franchise elevates a lot. Sort of like RE4 was for the franchise, this is one for the history books.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
yeah, this game is so dope. loved the constant interactions between father & son, as well as the thoughtful unravelling of mysteries

can't wait for more of this story

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite game of all time, I've played through it more than RE:4 which was my prior favorite game ever.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, I've finished it last night. Damn good game. One of the best games I've ever played. The combat and story was gripping through out.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
Just started a playthrough on PS5 myself OP, hooked from the start and loving the soundtrack in particular.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Just did my first full replay of it (slightly before it was found out that you can do 4k60 on PS5 from disc which gets me feel regret haha). Definitely my game of the generation, if not ever. The sense of a journey while also still featuring a fantastic story telling and excellent combat blending together so well, just such an amazing journey. I cannot wait for the sequel.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
In my book this is the highest quality game of last gen. Some are more fun, some have better stories and graphics, but overall it's the gold standard for me. I have little motivation to go back and play it again after getting the platinum, but a PS5 patch might change that.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In my book this is the highest quality game of last gen. Some are more fun, some have better stories and graphics, but overall it's the gold standard for me. I have little motivation to go back and play it again after getting the platinum, but a PS5 patch might change that.

Exactly where I am at too. I enjoyed several other games more and my personal GOTG is The Witcher 3, but overall this is imo the best executed and most polished from head to toe game of the last generation. It's imo a masterpiece.

OP
OP
Swiggins

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Cleared Alfheim, beautiful fucking world. The design of the dark elves is kinda weird but I like it. They sorta remind me of fairies or sprites.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Alright alright alright, so I picked this up for ÂŁ8 on sale which at long last is the right price for me having no previous interest in the franchise and generally being a bit too old, and stupid-thumbed, for twitchy modern gaming.

So far we're cool, the game is really beautiful and the bashy-bashy gameplay gives me confidence that it's systems are smarter than my thumbs are currently able to evince.

I wouldn't have dropped by other than to ask: how on earth do you take a photograph, once in photo-mode?

It absolutely is a ridiculous question but I honestly seem to have a really detailed DSLR with no shutter! I experimented, I searched, I browsed ... It's not a question anyone else seems to have asked, or seen fit to answer - so I'll humbly don my stupid cap and sue for a kind answer ...

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm kind of early game as wel (I think). This plays nothing like the trilogy. The combat is heavier and Kratos is more of a character with personality now.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Beat this last night. Really good game but combat felt like it was on autopilot towards the end and I got real tired of "whoooops the thing you're looking for is actually somewhere else!" But the presentation and story were too notch and I'm excited to learn more about the sequel

Oct 26, 2017
Beat this last night. Really good game but combat felt like it was on autopilot towards the end and I got real tired of "whoooops the thing you're looking for is actually somewhere else!" But the presentation and story were too notch and I'm excited to learn more about the sequel
Make sure you go back home after the game is over.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I beat this about a week ago and while I really enjoyed the narrative, the cutscene direction, the art direction, and the dialogue, I honestly was not into the RPG elements like the loot at all. That whole system just felt weirdly half-baked and just not for me at all. How often some enemy encounters are repeated was also just a real bummer. There are a few great boss fights, but it felt like that was something that they could really work on in the sequel.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I'm the same as the OP...played on my PS5 for the first time and it is epic.

Only a few games have ever made me want to carry on playing and complete everything. Normally i complete the story and move on but this game is something else.

Amazing game.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
such a great game
with surprisingly deep combat

if they could just toss out that pointless loot system and replace it with less, but more meaningful, upgrades
and more bespoke boss fights, the sequel will be incredible

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I played 3 and 2018 back to back last year for the first time. Two very different games, both great in their own right... but 2018 is WAY more tailored at my tastes than classic GOW. I still think TW3 is the best game of the gen (of all gens, really), but GOW 2018 is definitely among the best of the rest of the mortals

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's a great stew of borrowed gameplay, at a huge level of production, with some new ideas of its own. I love how the character dialog includes conversational transitions and doesn't abruptly cut in/out based on technical implementation.

My only complaint is the lack of diversity in large enemies. Later in the game, this feels like a missed opportunity.

Also, I'll just say that the God of War universe and Kratos as a character has gotten a bit played. I'm a big fan of the whole series and even with the advancements in 2018, it still feels like a lot of baggage. A bit like trying to update Mario for the motion-capture cutscene era. I think Santa Monica could enhance their mechanics even further with a new narrative/aesthetic direction to dig into.

Sep 21, 2019
So after finishing Bugsnax and Astro's Playroom I decided the next game I wanted to finish on my PS5 was God of War. A game that I'd heard praised to hell and back but never sat down and actually played through it. I decided to finally bite the bullet and see what the hype is about.

...and yeah, it's pretty fucking good. The game immediately grabbed my attention with the fight against "The Stranger". I have a passing knowledge of Norse mythology so I think I have an idea of who he is, but I'm happy to watch the game unfold and see if I'm right.

Still in the early game, but the combat is snappy and satisfying and the acting in it is so far great. I played the old God of War games way back when and it's interesting to see Kratos' character transition from unhinged revenge obsessed madman to a gruff father who's trying to make his son strong enough to survive the harsh world they inhabit.

This game is absolutely stellar and one of probably 5 games last generation that deserve a perfect 10/10.

The way the combat builds is a thing of absolutely beauty. And the art direction and level design are simply on another level. The story is pretty fantastic, though I do feel it loses its way a bit during the final act.

Regardless, I think GoW has the best combat from any game this generation. Sekiro and TLOU2 are up there, too. But GoW is just such a remarkable and wonderful achievement.

I really grew to appreciate it so much more on a second playthrough. Cory and team really knocked it out of the park, and I can't wait for the sequel.

Sep 21, 2019
My favorite PS4 exclusive so far (still gotta play TLOU 2 tho). It's wonderful and the gameplay is dope in its own way.

TLOU2 tops it, imo.

But GoW is a strong second-place for best PS4 exclusive.

They are both 10/10 games.

Reading this thread makes me facepalm even harder at Naughty Dog releasing a new trailer for TLOU2 six months after the release of the game that gives away SO many spoilers.

Not everyone is going to play masterworks within a month or even 6 of release. Why, ND, why?!?!

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
TLOU2 tops it, imo.

But GoW is a strong second-place for best PS4 exclusive.

They are both 10/10 games.

Reading this thread makes me facepalm even harder at Naughty Dog releasing a new trailer for TLOU2 six months after the release of the game that gives away SO many spoilers.

Not everyone is going to play masterworks within a month or even 6 of release. Why, ND, why?!?!
Eager to play both of these games again, waiting on a proper PS5 version though

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to replay this lately. Does it have any PS5 updates? I might hold off until I get a new system if so.

OP
OP
Swiggins

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Much farther along now

Just got done with the Frost Giant's dead body level and killed one of Thor's kids

What a phenomenal world Santa Monica Studio have created. It's just wonderful.

OP
OP
Swiggins

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Just got to the scene where Atreus and Kratos share a drink of wine.

Chills.