• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Great graphics decent music good world

didn't like the gameplay that much or the fact that these 2 are so annoying in their dialogue

also cannot stand that I can't see the enemies all around me. Hate the camera for this kind of game.

granted I didn't get far-to the part where it opens up. But I didn't enjoy it enough to keep going
Vastly prefer 3 and probably even 2 over it

I've started it again on ps5 to see if I still feel the same way.

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Played it on day 1. Deliberately avoided NG+ or getting the platinum trophy on the PS4, because I loved the game so freaking much, I wanted to save the platinum run for a replay.

Thought now would be a good time to replay on the PS5, but someone mentioned how awesome the axe would feel with the new haptic feedback on the DualSense. So now I'm waiting for an official PS5 upgrade from Santa Monica Studio before replaying. Please SMS!

My MOTG. A true masterpiece.
What's a MOTG? My Google-fu has failed me, I know GOTG is Game of The Generation, but googling MOTG is only showing me pictures of moths, and I have moth/butterfly phobia!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I know, but do these aspects I mentioned get any better? Most people love it from the very start-I honestly had to play it in small bursts to even get to where I got to. I just didn't have much fun with it

also the rpg stuff felt so tacked on just for a "bulletpoint" in this game :v

Well, the dialogue gets significantly better when certain other characters are introduced.
The gameplay only improves drastically as you unlock more and more skills to manage (and some great optional challenges).

The camera thing seems to either be great or annoying for some people, but I mostly found it perfect for what they were doing (it lets them warp the boy to climb on his back or onto a boat etc) and you can play the game without even using enemy indicators and just listening to audio cues from allies. There are definitely some good defensive abilities you get to help with being surrounded.

The lake of nine might be my favourite hub area in a game, and I know a lot of people tend to enjoy that aspect so that's something you might not have really got to experience much of.

Xclusion

Nov 8, 2017
Game of the Generation for sure, I beat the main campaign but still need to go back and clean some things up.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm really looking forward to seeing how they utilize the dualsense.
yeah. Now imagine it with a dualsense in ragnarok

HHbBh7o.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the dialogue gets significantly better when certain other characters are introduced.
The gameplay only improves drastically as you unlock more and more skills to manage (and some great optional challenges).

The camera thing seems to either be great or annoying for some people, but I mostly found it perfect for what they were doing (it lets them warp the boy to climb on his back or onto a boat etc) and you can play the game without even using enemy indicators and just listening to audio cues from allies. There are definitely some good defensive abilities you get to help with being surrounded.

The lake of nine might be my favourite hub area in a game, and I know a lot of people tend to enjoy that aspect so that's something you might not have really got to experience much of.

yeah that's where I got up to. That lake hub.

I guess it also doesn't help that I have no fondness for children and his son has to be one of the most annoying characters in any game I've ever played 😂😂

I guess this is what it feels like when I see people say they don't like something like neir automata for example I'm just like "but HOW!?! It's SO GOOD!!" Lol

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds ridiculous and I'm probably talking nonsense here but when playing it the combat weirdly reminds me of Kingdom Hearts 1.

I like how claustrophobic the combat feels. Like common convention in a game like this would probably have said the developers should have the close up Kratos cam in puzzles or cinematic moments and then pull it back for a more traditional wide shot like the Batman games do and you'd have fights that more or less played out similarly to the ps2/3 GOW games.

But I think there's a lot of value in keeping the camera locked in close to the player in action games and this game proves it even if you do lose a lot of visibility/spacial awareness etc. in the process. I think it has a decent amount to do with why I like this game and KH1 significantly more than any of the other games in each of their respective series

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Its in my top 10 games of all time I think. Maaaaaybe even in the top 5.
The combat is just incredible. I could jump in and do that any day and have a great time.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Did anyones ps4 sound like lawnmower when you tabbed to the map?

Absolutely lol

Though it's way better now compared to how it was on launch before the patches, I thought my PS4 was going to explode back then.

also the rpg stuff felt so tacked on just for a "bulletpoint" in this game :v

The RPG stuff is defintitely tacked on, I did a bunch of testing increasing attack, runic, vitality, etc and the differences were almost insignificant with a huge difference in stats.

The one that matters the most is the cooldown stat, especially since the runic cooldowns are 50% longer at the highest difficulty.

Regarding the camera, I got used to it. The enemies aren't super fast which helps, it certainly much better than something like Metal Gear Rising for example, now that's a fucking terrible camera. It also makes your attacks feel much more satisfying since you can see the action right in your face.

Edit: also it has the advantage of working well in closed spaces, some action games really struggle in those scenarios.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's where I got up to. That lake hub.

I guess it also doesn't help that I have no fondness for children and his son has to be one of the most annoying characters in any game I've ever played 😂😂

I guess this is what it feels like when I see people say they don't like something like neir automata for example I'm just like "but HOW!?! It's SO GOOD!!" Lol

I love both of those games *shrug*
Nier takes a whole lot longer to really reach its potential.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's the only game that makes me sad that I'm not planning on getting a PS5. The sequels will be soo good too

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm really looking forward to seeing how they utilize the dualsense.
I'm mostly hoping it's next-gen only so they can hopefully utilize the SSD in some crazy ways. Imagine something like during the inevitable fight with
Thor him hitting Kratos so hard that Kratos just flies through multiple realms and possibly even other places like Sparta with virtually no loading screens.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Game of the Generation for me. I cannot wait to pick up my new game plus with 4K 60fps if it gets patched.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the game is perfect but it is truly amazing. I hated the old God of War games and Kratos was an awful main character that had no redeeming value really. The way they took this really one dimensional rage fueled monster that you couldn't really even call a character and made him rounded and gave him depth was seriously impressive.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Biggest flaw for me was the lack of enemy variety, especially the mini bosses. Some of the RPG mechanics were odd and felt tacked on and could definitely use revisiting.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
They took some pretty big risks with this one, and were rewarded.
Great game and also great exemple of a successful reboot.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Not a fan, but I know I'm an outlier. I will say that I was sold on it at first like you but grew weary as it progressed.

It's a beautiful game, though. That never changes.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One of the best games Sony's ever made. Hell, that anyone's ever made as far as I'm concerned.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
All I'm going to say is the combat gets 10x better. Oh and the story is amazing as well. I'll definitely replay it if they get a 4k/60 patch in there.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
OP if you have a disc version uninstall the entire game. put in the disc and DONT LET IT UPDATE.
4k 60fps solid. ITs amazing!

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
In my first play through as well ajd it's good. I'm getting kind of tired of "oh whoops you actually need to go here" as the driving narrative force but it's definitely a production.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games ever. Loved everything about it, especially the combat. I usually get tired of games after a while but I beat everything in this game just because the combat was so fun.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Thread got me DOWNLOADING GoW from the collection from these reviews
Yakuza 7 got priority but now I'm def playing GoW next

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
It was my GOTY. I loved the father/son relationship story. Having a seven year old son myself made the story that more interesting and engaging.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Great game, given that I didn't really like previous GOW games I was even more impressed by this. One of the best ps4 games for sure.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Is it me or is this game prettier than Demon's? I forgot what a looker it is. It may be behind in some areas but overall its pretty close imo. Next GoW will be the best looking third person combat game ever I bet.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's a masterpiece, still so glad that it was made.

This quote from a playtester shows why we get so many "samey" sequels in the industry:
"It didn't look that great," he said. "Probably some of the most verbose and vicious commentary came from that: 'What are you doing to Kratos? You're ruining Kratos. He's picking flowers! He's picking flowers?! This is ridiculous!' One guy wanted to leave the playtest, he was so angry that Kratos was picking flowers. After that I said there's going to be an achievement; you're going to have to pick 100 flowers now.

And Shu's reaction:
"He kinda just shook his head and walked out the door," Barlog said. "He never told me how he felt. In fact, he only told one of my friends, who he saw at a party. He [Yoshida] said, 'Oh, you're working on God of War? I just gotta say, I played the game the other day. I was horrified.'

www.gamesindustry.biz

Shuhei Yoshida's first play of God of War - "He was horrified"

There may still be more than four months still to go, but God of War seems certain to among a small handful of names in…

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly hoping it's next-gen only so they can hopefully utilize the SSD in some crazy ways. Imagine something like during the inevitable fight with
Thor him hitting Kratos so hard that Kratos just flies through multiple realms and possibly even other places like Sparta with virtually no loading screens.

That would be pretty wild. I hope it's next gen only as well, but I'm sure it will be fine either way.

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's my favourite Sony first party game on PS4.. mind blowing and breath taking from the very start to the very end.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Yea,it was a brilliant reimagining of a series I love anyway....I'm so glad they didn't reboot Kratos's story too...adds much more to the story knowing what had come before.