• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
the thing you aren't really going to be able to recapture by playing the game 10 years later is that there was definitely a feeling of the God of War formula sort of growing stale. The thing I remember is this and Gears of War Judgement coming out around the same time and both inspiring that same sort of middling reaction. It was a perfectly fine game but it was coming off of the heels of 3 with a story that didn't feel as epic or great. People were ready to move on to something new and Ascension was probably the thing that had to happen to really cement that and inspire Santa Monica to really change things up

Well said. I felt the same.

The most memborable part of the experience for me, was how spectacular the final battle looked. Other than that...it was a middling experience overall.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I also gotta give credit for the graphics & art style/direction at least.

Still pretty stunning for a last God of War game on PS3.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
All I remember from the game was beating the trials of archimedes PRE PATCH like the true GoW veteran I am!!!😎😎😎

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I played this for the first time in late 2020 (it feels like 3 months ago, what is time lol?) and I think it was one of the most frustratingly disappointing games I've ever played. I certainly enjoyed it, outside of the story/Troy Baker's character mainly being crap, but for everything good they did, there was some stupid, almost bafflingly so, design decision which changed something to be different from the rest of the series purely for the sake of being different, and not for offering any improvement. Buttonless minigames were silly, no extra weapons was silly when the elemental blades were basically all but useless, parry being a multi button was silly, etc.
Oh yeah the parry being L1+X was annoying. I think I just assumed that the previous games were like that and I'd forgotten but thinking back I think it was just L1. Also the parry animation always opens you up for too long to get hit which was pretty annoying.

Also I was actually surprised to see Troy Baker's face pop up in the BTS videos, did not recognise him as Orkos in the game.

I remember buying this game digitally on sale and never getting around to it......and then it became a PS+ offering lol

I really need to do what you did and buckle down and redownload some of these older titles on my PS3.
The PS3 store almost closure was a big kick up the butt for me to start playing through these older games before I won't even be able to.

Can you still get the Platinum? I know there is 1 online trophy tied to it. I guess is MP still working?
I got the trophy years ago, but I think it's just for doing the tutorial, so you won't even need to get into a proper game to get the trophy. The servers were mostly working last I checked (a few months ago).

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Oh yeah the parry being L1+X was annoying. I think I just assumed that the previous games were like that and I'd forgotten but thinking back I think it was just L1. Also the parry animation always opens you up for too long to get hit which was pretty annoying.

Also I was actually surprised to see Troy Baker's face pop up in the BTS videos, did not recognise him as Orkos in the game.

The PS3 store almost closure was a big kick up the butt for me to start playing through these older games before I won't even be able to.

I got the trophy years ago, but I think it's just for doing the tutorial, so you won't even need to get into a proper game to get the trophy. The servers were mostly working last I checked (a few months ago).
Oh ok. Yeah funny thing is I likely got the platinum on the older PSN account years ago but wanted to replay them on the current one and get the platinum again.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Fun game that really shines thanks to the PS3 hardware. Glad it didn't get a remaster like 3, so the original intended experience could be preserved.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this game but I feel it was worse than it should be.

I thought the whole timeline changing all the time was bad. I would have liked a more linear story.

I also thought the way the bar that fills worked sucked. It shouldn't have been that hard to build it and unleash it.

Other than that it was fun. Loved the enemy designs and the graphics. The gameplay was fun though not as good as GOW3 or Ghost of Sparta.

Jan 11, 2018
Just finished my own replay up last night, and I honestly think the Statue of Apollo is the best piece of large scale level design that SSM has ever done.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed this game but I feel it was worse than it should be.

I thought the whole timeline changing all the time was bad. I would have liked a more linear story.

I also thought the way the bar that fills worked sucked. It shouldn't have been that hard to build it and unleash it.

Other than that it was fun. Loved the enemy designs and the graphics. The gameplay was fun though not as good as GOW3 or Ghost of Sparta.
I think they did the constant timeline change so they could start off with a set piece, but it was so confusing. I also didn't like how somehow future Kratos wouldn't have an item until past Kratos collected it.

Also with the game being a prequel, I find it weird Kratos can climb things in this one and suddenly not be able to in the sequels. It's a pet peeve, but I generally hate when prequels introduce a new mechanic that the disappearance of isn't properly explained.

Just finished my own replay up last night, and I honestly think the Statue of Apollo is the best piece of large scale level design that SSM has ever done.
I did really like that part of the game. Especially slowly rebuilding the statue using the little trinket you get. The GoW games have always been good with this sorta stuff and this one was the same.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they did the constant timeline change so they could start off with a set piece, but it was so confusing. I also didn't like how somehow future Kratos wouldn't have an item until past Kratos collected it.

Also with the game being a prequel, I find it weird Kratos can climb things in this one and suddenly not be able to in the sequels. It's a pet peeve, but I generally hate when prequels introduce a new mechanic that the disappearance of isn't properly explained.
Yeah I agree with you.

I would love if they added a more linear option to play. Forgot the name of it but that game with Elliot Page that sony published added a feature that made the story linear and it would be great if Ascension gets one some time if they rerelease it.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I agree with you.

I would love if they added a more linear option to play. Forgot the name of it but that game with Elliot Page that sony published added a feature that made the story linear and it would be great if Ascension gets one some time if they rerelease it.
Oh yeah, Beyond: Two Souls. Wonder how that would go with this game's story.

I'd love if PlayStation or some random YouTuber made a video containing all of the games' stories. I've played through all the God of War games and really enjoyed the stories, but I can't remember much outside of vague details like GoW is where you kill so-and-so and II is where you have this fight etc.

GoW would actually make a decent TV series I think, provided it's done well (i.e. Tom Holland is cast as Kratos).

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, Beyond: Two Souls. Wonder how that would go with this game's story.

I'd love if PlayStation or some random YouTuber made a video containing all of the games' stories. I've played through all the God of War games and really enjoyed the stories, but I can't remember much outside of vague details like GoW is where you kill so-and-so and II is where you have this fight etc.

GoW would actually make a decent TV series I think, provided it's done well (i.e. Tom Holland is cast as Kratos).
Forgot to reply to you lol

I agree with you on the tv point. It would be awesome and I feel GOW could work really well as a movie or TV series.