• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there's a few things i liked but there was just way too many improvised lines, the jokes didn't keep any sort of consistency

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Too much dancing...
Stop with the dancing!

Watched this with the GF a few months ago.
She passed out while watching, I envy her.

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. A few scenes went rambling on, but there are a bunch of really cool ones too. Also, the extended cut filled in a lot of important scenes like that dance scene and more motivation for Erin (Wiig's character) to leave the group near the end. That felt really chopped up in the theatrical: "you know, I need to go home and think about this, wait, nevermind, I'm back".

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most egregious thing about it was none of it felt like it was actually in New York.

Otherwise it was fine.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
"A chore to watch" is the perfect way to describe this film. It's ad-libs the movie. No one ever shuts up or stops trying to be funny long enough to let any of the story develop.

Paul Feig was simply the wrong director, and the Plinkett review really explained everything I hated about it.

Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't voice a positive or negative or even disinterested opinion about this film for about a year before and until a year after it's release without having to deal with an ocean of shit thrown at you by whatever faction had decided to dig their hills into thinking this Sony movie's performance decided the fate of the world.

Like AVGN got a fuck ton of harassment for saying "It looks like a shitty Hollywood remake of a classic film and I'm probably not going to watch it."

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I remember liking the extended cut better but to be fair I dug the movie already and mostly just had nitpicks about the third act. I remember listening to the commentary track and the editor at one point remarked the theatrical version was done super last minute before the premiere which makes sense with how many weird ass decisions it makes (like cutting that dance scene in the weirdest way possible but leaving clips of it in the credits)

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the original Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle. If they want to continue it, they should probably take a semi serious approach to it, and stop trying to make a comedy. I feel like it's nearly impossible to recapture the magic of the first one, so they should go in a different direction all together (or just stop making them lol).

Oct 30, 2017
It's a huge pile of shit, and that's it. It's boring, none of the jokes work, none of it is interesting. It's a huge failure in all ways. It was weird that there was a battle about how people hated it because it was women. I mean, some total losers did, but that's not why it was bad. It was bad because it was just a massive piece of shit. I would have welcomed an all female Ghostbusters if it had been good. It was not.
The original is a nearly perfect film. It's beautiful to look at, has a brilliant script, amazing soundtrack, great pacing. The sequel has none of these things.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm just gonna drive-by post to state that I adore Ghostbusters 2016. Saw it twice in the cinema, and several times on the home version extended cut. I genuinely think it is The Best Ghostbusters film, and I say that as a Ghostbusters fan who owns all three movies, and who is old enough to have seen all three in the cinema.

I don't feel there is any value in trying to convince people something is funny if they think it isn't. You didn't laugh? Fair enough. I did though. Comedy is very subjective and we all laugh at different things. One of my best mates absolutely hates it too, and I know he's judging it on his own merits without any other motives. All the rest of my social circle loved it same as me though, and kids in particular are super into it. Two separate 7 year olds, one boy and one girl, both think it's brilliant. Holtzmann in particular was one of the best recieved characters I've seen, she single-handedly moved a lot of people on the Kinsey scale. No word of a lie, one day I had both a straight woman and a gay man I know making the almost exact same tweet about their confused feelings for her.

I'm only posting because there's a page of "this movie sucks" consensus, dragging up a movie from 2 years ago to beat on it again when we know that it came out under a cloud of deliberate and obvious orchestrated hate campaigns. It's important to note that there are plenty of us who love GB2016 and one of my biggest regrets is that there will likely never be a sequel.

I especially love the complaints about the film being bad because it was improvised, when loads of other highly praised films like Ragnarok etc did the same. Again, if you didn't enjoy the results, didn't laugh at the jokes, fair enough. Other comedy films are available, and I'll probably sideeye you for some of your faves in return. But I've legit seen (and I'm talking the last two years in general, not just this thread) the fact that it was improv based listed as why it was bad so many times now when successful films of all genres were often mostly created on the fly.

I love all the special features on the digital version because even with the extended cut, there's a solid 30 mins + of other material that wasn't included, but that could have been, and I'm hoping for a fan super-cut that weaves all this other stuff into it. The full version of Kevin's interview is almost 14 minutes of deliciously dry humour and Hemsworth is goddamn hilarious. If you enjoyed Ragnarok, then you owe at least part of your thanks to GB2016 as this is where Hemsworth learned how to be funny. Or more accurately, learned how funny he already was given the license to let it out. (No, really, he's pretty open about how worried he was about trying to improv with the SNL women. They said "don't worry, leave that to us" and then he surprised everyone by being brilliant at it.)

Anyway, when you're doing your "ugh, this movie sucks, who even likes this garbage?" I just wanted to raise my hand and let you know that me, and many people I know, love this film. I've seen all of them multiple times over, like them all (I've been a lonely defender of GB2 for many years even), but I'll never be moved from the position that Girlbusters is Bestbusters.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the film and found it hilarious. I have no love or attachment to OG Ghostbusters, so maybe that influenced my enjoyment. I saw it multiple times in theaters with friends and family and everyone I knew enjoyed it.

I agree with Hong Kong Hermit that a lot of it comes down to finding it funny or not, and I'm not going to try to convince anyone it was good or funny when they don't believe so. I just personally enjoyed it and think it's worth a watch.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I loved it, I want a sequel. Once again the nerd hivemind is completely wrong about something, surprise surprise.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked GB 2016, but I will readily admit it's a very different type of movie...a lot more slap-stick, juvenile (queef joke) comedy.

The extended cut puts the dance number back in.

OG Ghostbusters is still one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time, but I enjoyed my time with Ghostbusters 2016.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I enjoyed Kate Mckinnon's character, but that's really about it. Redbox'd the movie and it's one of the few I regret Redboxing, along with the new Independence Day(which is so much worse than GB).

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I have only seen it once in theathers, and found it to be passable but heavily flawed. Would have liked to see a sequel, since the cast was great. Will probably buy the new comic books based on the movie characters.

The one thing that sucked was seeing the Ghostbuster fandom harrass the cast and crew, it's own gamergate style meltdown made sure I never tried to interact with fans ever again.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
McKinnon and Hemsworth were enjoyable. I thought the entire thing was "fine," which of course collapses under the weight of such an iconic franchise. I would have watched another with this cast, but there's 0% chance of that happening.

Oct 25, 2017
I have only seen it once in theathers, and found it to be passable but heavily flawed. Would have liked to see a sequel, since the cast was great. Will probably buy the new comic books based on the movie characters.

The one thing that sucked was seeing the Ghostbuster fandom harrass the cast and crew, it's own gamergate style meltdown made sure I never tried to interact with fans ever again.

We get to see Mike Hat in the IDW OG GB/2016 GB Crossover series comic.

Made me giggle.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had all the hopes in the world because of the cast, but the script just let them all down and it lacked a good focus on character arcs and relationships - just vignettes and rough ideas that didn't feel fully formed.

The extended cut puts the dance number back in.

No idea why they cut that, I thought it was a great scene and really fun, plus that part of the movie needed something like that and it would have helped the pacing.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
I honestly thought it was a pretty fun movie. Some of the gags really didn't work (wontons are never funny), but the characters, action, plot were decent by me. And some of the humor really did hit, like "Never compare me to the Jaws mayor! Never."

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Honestly I find this film pretty charming. It's quite a dry, low-key comedy that comes across as likable a lot of the time rather than laugh-out-loud funny, and it certainly has some flaws (most of the action sequences near the climax add nothing to the film except budget) but it's leagues ahead of the cynical by-the-numbers retread that was Ghostbusters II.
It was never going to be the original but the original was a lightning-in-a-bottle film and you can't recapture those.
Kate McKinnon is especially great, and Chris Hemsworth is fantastic.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still have no idea how this turned out so unfunny and just overall dull.

I'm certainly not dying to have more remakes, but if you're going to do it, this seemed like a great way. All female cast of A+ talent paired with a franchise with lots of possible directions. At worst it should have been "pretty good." But this thing was just an unfunny mess and just not enjoyable.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I liked the movie the first time I watched it but quickly soured on it. Kinda sad that the main four have the show stolen from them by Chris Hemsworth.

Just felt like a by-committee comedy with an hilariously bloated budget. Also not sure why it needed to be 2 hours long.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I like the opening in the house, I like Hemsworth and McKinnon.
Its fun and harmless, but not all the jokes land and the budget was insane.
Also too long, even after they edited it.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Dogshit film. The 'Mike Hat' joke is basically every toddler when they begin to create their own jokes when their brain starts forming basic word/sound associations. In fact I may have heard a child use that very joke before, or one functionally identical, and that was where the movie peaked.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It was dead for 20 years and they should have never brought it back to begin with especially after Harold Ramis passed. The movie is a chore as OP says; the jokes fall flat, the acting is off at all times, and the plot is extremely weak.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting to hear about how much of Ghostbusters was composed of improv'd scenes, and around the same percentage was done on Thor Ragnorak. The two movies even share an actor (Hemsworth). I'd want to say the difference is maybe the director, Paul Feig vs Taika Waititi, and who has a better sense in their head of what is working and what is not, but of course I have no idea if thats true or not.

Its really difficult though to believe the cast from a mostly improv background (SNL) did a worse job than a cast of mostly regular actors, which is why I assume the director is the one who has to ultimately bear responsibility.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
I completely missed this at cinemas but caught it on digital much much later. You know what? I quite enjoyed it. I laughed at enough of the jokes for it to be a thoroughly acceptable comedy. I'd even watch it again. Not going to try and convince people it's funny because if it's not your sense of humour it's not your sense of humour. All I can say is that there's far worse films out there that have proclaimed to be comedies, and I'm as happy to watch this one as I am Ghostbusters 1 or 2.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad, because Paul Feig is a great comedic director and the leads were great picks for the roles... but the script and improv just bring the whole thing down.

Ehhh he really isn't as Spy was just awful to watch and he wrote and directed that.

This director did Bridesmaids too? Bad things happened in this movie for these actors and director to have missed the mark so completely.

He only directed it, the script was written by Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo whereas with Ghostbuster he co-wrote it along with someone who have never watched the original movies.

You couldn't voice a positive or negative or even disinterested opinion about this film for about a year before and until a year after it's release without having to deal with an ocean of shit thrown at you by whatever faction had decided to dig their hills into thinking this Sony movie's performance decided the fate of the world.

Like AVGN got a fuck ton of harassment for saying "It looks like a shitty Hollywood remake of a classic film and I'm probably not going to watch it."

Yeah I remember that, which was dumb as he explains why he wasn't interested in the new movie and it was simply because it wasn't a continuation of the original series thus he wasn't the target market and had no interest in the movie.

The backlash wasn't because the cast were female, though I assume that it was for some, but rather because fans had waited years for Ghostbuster 3 and they were getting something different that didn't look good.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The backlash wasn't because the cast were female, though I assume that it was for some, but rather because fans had waited years for Ghostbuster 3 and they were getting something different that didn't look good.

Bullshit. It was 90% sexism. People who actually watched it and didn't like it, that's different, but the backlash was almost entirely cast driven.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it started promesing with the woman living behind the shut door. Then they never explored it anymore and went downhill fast.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the comment that it has the same problem other "soft reboot" films do, but disagree most of the complaints were due to sexism.

Its just... too meta.
It knows what the original ghostbusters is, and expects you to know that too, so it just gives up on worldbuilding or explaining anything, because all that was done in another film 20+ years ago.
Oh, they've got guns that can catch ghosts? How does that work? Like it did in the other film (that this is not in any way connected to), duh!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, when you're doing your "ugh, this movie sucks, who even likes this garbage?" I just wanted to raise my hand and let you know that me, and many people I know, love this film. I've seen all of them multiple times over, like them all (I've been a lonely defender of GB2 for many years even), but I'll never be moved from the position that Girlbusters is Bestbusters.
I don't like ghostbusters(2016), it is a very poor movie. I don't think many people like it and even with such a talented cast. they dropped the ball hard. I think it all has to do with Paul Feig being not very good.

I know people like to rail on GB2 but it's vastly superior to 2016 ghostbusters in every single way.

Kate McKinnon deserves better than this movie.
Agreed, she tried to salvage it the best she could.