• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I had a free UHD movie with my 4k TV that I've been meaning to use for several months. I had a few Sony movies like Amazing Spider Man, Passengers and Amazing Spider Man 2. I didn't particularly like any of the choices so I picked Ghostbusters. I remember it getting flamed on the Internet because they were women but none of that mattered. The movie is simply a chore to watch. And that's especially not good when it's a comedy.

The one thing that struck me was how they managed to get actors like Kristen Wig, Kate McKinnon and Melissa McCarthy and then be completely, 100% unfunny. I have to wonder if test audiences said they were too funny and some suit descended upon the set to make sure that wasn't a problem. I noticed a lot of SNL cast in the movie and for whatever reason they werent given anything to work with. The wonton joke never worked and they kept coming back to it. Ugh. The innuendos land with a thud mostly because they drop one and then let it sit, presumably to give the audience time to stop laughing. Instead it should have been delivered and the scene kept moving.

These women are supposed to be scientists but they act like they're anything but despite Kristen Wigs character bringing it up a couple times. Her need for validation trumped her good judgment and by releasing the ghost she got Bill Murray killed. Hilarious I guess. Patty has no reason to be there other than she's a more annoying version of Siri so why not give her a nuclear laser gun? Chris Hemsworth plays the dumb blonde well, but gender swapping a stereotype went nowhere. Jeanine was the most competent person on the old Ghostbusters team. Maybe Winston. I don't know.

So something very wrong happened during the script writing sessions. More than likely being a lot of improv actors on the film I wouldn't be surprised if most of the scripted scenes were cut. Bill Murray's performance was largely improvised and Eddie Murphy was originally intended to be Winston because of Murphy's improv skills. I never finished the movie so I don't know how it ends but it felt like i was hitting the third act and I was done wasting my time.

I'm kind of bummed because the franchise is probably dead for another decade. That gives everyone enough time to not understand what went wrong. Who ya going to call? Probably customer service to demand your money back. :(

rs_480x218-16021011175tkbf.gif

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They got them to be unfunny apparently by telling them to adlib a ton. The movie is a huge unfocused, unfunny dumpster fire.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I will say, it's not my thing, but my 11 year old daughter loved it.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard a lot of the lines were ad-libbed. Things that seem funny to the actors don't always translate well to the audience at large. I think it's called the Adam Sandler effect.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It was everything that a ghostbusters movie shouldn't have been. It could have been fine if it wasn't Ghostbusters, if they just did a new supernatural gag IP... even if it was "Inspired by Ghostbusters" or something. But it took the opposite approach to humor that Ghostbusters did.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad, because Paul Feig is a great comedic director and the leads were great picks for the roles... but the script and improv just bring the whole thing down.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to like it and support it because of the hate it got just for existing, but I couldn't do it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad, because Paul Feig is a great comedic director and the leads were great picks for the roles... but the script and improv just bring the whole thing down.
I think the unfortunate thing with Feig is that while Bridesmaids showed he probably could've made a solid Ghostbusters, following that movie he seems much more interested in these really broad genre parodies, and those are the sensibilities he brings to Ghostbusters, not the more grounded feeling of Bridesmaids.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It was a bad movie. It will be forgotten pretty quickly. I don't think there needs to be more Ghostbusters.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was a really not funny movie. I mean, any Ghostbusters reboot was probably gonna turn out shit. But, man, they really hit a low bar. They should have just gone for a mediocre Marvel-inspired take. It wouldn't have been great, but it would have been better.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The movie has some major structural issues, but I found myself enjoying the film despite them. It's not nearly as good as the original, but I thought Leslie Jones and Hemsworth were delightful. Oh, and the opening was fantastic.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
My little brother liked it so I gave it a chance. It was bad but I'd be lying if I said Chris didn't make me chuckle every time.

Kevin: "Would it be okay if I bring my cat to work sometimes? He has major anxiety problems."
Abby: "You know what? I would love to let your cat live here with you, but I have a pretty severe cat allergy."
Kevin: "Oh, I don't have a cat. He's a dog. His name's My Cat."
Abby: "Your dog's name is My Cat?"
Kevin: "Mike Hat."
Erin: "Your dog's name is Mike, last name Hat?"
Kevin: "Well, his full name is Michael Hat."

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
I think the unfortunate thing with Feig is that while Bridesmaids showed he probably could've made a solid Ghostbusters, following that movie he seems much more interested in these really broad genre parodies, and those are the sensibilities he brings to Ghostbusters, not the more grounded feeling of Bridesmaids.

This director did Bridesmaids too? Bad things happened in this movie for these actors and director to have missed the mark so completely.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This director did Bridesmaids too? Bad things happened in this movie for these actors and director to have missed the mark so completely.
And Spy, which despite having some awful trailers is a pretty wonderful flick. Spy was full of improv too, but I think the script's structure was largely set and stuck to--so the improv is in the gaps instead of being the entire film.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
It was just lazy and poorly written. The cast wasn't an issue, the idea of continuing the franchise wasn't an issue. It just felt like by the time they decided to make this movie they didn't leave enough time to write a good script so they relied lame gag jokes and the cast ad libbing and hoped the names / franchise would carry it.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chris Hemsworth was great but didn't like the rest.

And not because of sexism, just didn't find it funny. Was kinda all of the place, wanted to like it too.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still find it weird that Feig talked about it being scarier than the original. Him saying that gave me a glimmer of hope, because I dig the creepier darker moments of the original. Fucking love Ray and Winston's scene where they talk about the end of the world. But, man, what the fuck was he talking about!? Where were these supposed scary moments?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was the perfect cast that they should have been able to hit a home run. Feig obviously was not the right director for the project. The Assholes on the Internet clearly got to him and the writers etc. I mean the Villain was basically a fuck you to the haters and in the process dragged the movie down.

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
I still find it weird that Feig talked about it being scarier than the original. Him saying that gave me a glimmer of hope, because I dig the creepier darker moments of the original. Fucking love Ray and Winston's scene where they talk about the end of the world in the original. But, man, what the fuck was he talking about!? Where were these supposed scary moments?

She only had ONE wonton!

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered something, why did the villain make all the soldiers do the Stayin' Alive pose at the end? I saw it by myself when it first came out and I was super confused and I completely forgot to ask people what that part was about.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Supposed to be scientists?
Didn't you watched the original, they were supposed to be capitalist self contracted company owners

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminded me that I have seen this film and cannot remember a single thing about it. Like not a joke, an action scene, the villain, anything.

How unfortunate because this could have been a great property going forward and now it's doomed forever.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I just remembered something, why did the villain make all the soldiers do the Stayin' Alive pose at the end? I saw it by myself when it first came out and I was super confused and I completely forgot to ask people what that part was about.
There's a music video for the movie that has the whole dance number. Yes, you need to see something outside the movie to complete a moment in the movie. Yes, it's shit.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Ghostbusters 2016 is a first for me. It's the first time I have nothing bad to say about the cast and crew and that I liked their previous work, but their combined efforts gave us a really terrible film.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a whole dance scene that was cut?

"And then later, she'll have TOO MANY wontons!"
There's a music video for the movie that has the whole dance number. Yes, you need to see something outside the movie to complete a moment in the movie. Yes, it's shit.

Huh, Well here is the scene for anyone else who was unaware like me.

What a bizarre editing choice to leave this out of the actual movie. Like, is the extra 45 seconds of film you already shot and did the effects for gonna break your movie?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Got around to watching it a few days ago, big fan of Ghostbusters here, and I was willing to give it a chance, but it was not good. It was far worse than I thought it would be. They crammed way too many ad-libbed jokes in there. It was a mess.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
This movie made Ghostbusters II look good.

On top of the crap that has already been posted.. wasn't the villian a bellhop of something? Who thought that was a good idea?

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's trash. Perfect casting and with a better writer, director and way less improv it would have been great.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah op it was downright depressing at times like when Wig is describing being bullied in school I was like is this still a comedy?
It's like Grownups everyone wrote their own bad jokes and just mashed them together