• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'd be surprised if they were so mind numbingly dumb and evil.

if you are gonna criticise that, then you might as well criticise all nazi, soviets and 'terrorists' for being so dumb and evil in every game (or fiction for that matter) ever.

Also, please enlighten & educate yourself beyond the 'general' history:

The Mongol horde not only conquered much of Asia but stretches all the way towards Europe and may be part of the reason of the spread of the 'Black Death' plague.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
if you are gonna criticise that, then you might as well criticise all nazi, soviets and 'terrorists' for being so dumb and evil in every game (or fiction for that matter) ever.

Also, please enlighten yourself beyond the 'general' history:

The Mongol horde not only conquered much of Asia but stretches all the way towards Europe and may be part of the reason of the spread of the 'Black Death' plague.
I appreciate your educational response but there's no need to be condescending. Real history or not, the game doesn't really illustrate well the villains motivations, ways, ambitions or anything, treating them like generic evil conquerors from Saturday cartoons, with zero tactic, strategy or skill.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I am about 8 hours in, which is the time I usually bail from open world games I am not feeling. I am nowhere close to being tired of this game yet. I think the combat really makes me put up with the open world stuff a lot more than the standard Ubisoft stuff. The stealth is pretty standard stuff and operates exactly like how you would expect it to, but the combat feels a lot better to control than an Assassins Creed.

I also really like the haiku stuff, as well as Jin giving you glimpses into his character when you are chilling in the hot springs to increase your max health. The wind thing is a neat alternative to your standard mini-map that I like more than I thought I would. The rewards for some of the side missions also seem pretty rewarding. I just got a new sword technique after a breathtaking cinematic duel. So I think the open world stuff is a a lot more interesting than people are giving it credit for.

With all the pretty streams and ponds and waterfalls, it really makes me crave a fishing mini-game though. The game really needs more stuff like that where you can just fuck around in the world on your own outside of question marks and side missions.

As someone who was kind of on the fence around the games release, it really is delivering more than I thought it would. Really glad I decided to pick it up in the Black Friday sale.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Just go straight through the story missions. Exploration is basically pointless and it certainly is boring. You will also become completely overpowered if you spend too much time in Act 1.

NubCakes09

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty good but it definitely gets very repetitive. The open world doesn't really have a lot going on either.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game. One of my favorites of last gen. Great story and characters, beautiful world (and extremely polished overall), addicting combat that gets deeper as you progress, lots of stuff to find in the open world, and the side quests did a good job of fleshing out the people of Tsushima. A highlight for me were the Mythic Tales where you relive folk tales and get special abilities afterwards. Wonderful game and it only got better as it went along IMO. Plus Legends is an incredible co-op experience and it's completely free if you own the game.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
I mostly enjoyed this game, but man did I find the combat repetitive and shallow and the game severely lacking in difficulty. Sekiro has ruined swordplay for me, no other game manages to capture the rhythm of combat like it did.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Open world is nothing but a collectathon, combat is just pressing triangle with the stance that matches the enemy type to win. That is the whole game. There, saved you a couple of hours of your time. Go play actual good game.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay loop is the same but the combat improves immensely as you unlock more abilities. That keeps things fresh in a sense. One of my favorite games of the year.
Felt the opposite to me. In the beginning you had to be very careful about how you handle different enemy types. Spears were dangerous. Then you slowly but surely unlock easy one button answers to everything.

Open world is nothing but a collectathon, combat is just pressing triangle with the stance that matches the enemy type to win. That is the whole game. There, saved you a couple of hours of your time. Go play actual good game.
This is pretty accurate, sadly. GoT has the worst stance system I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Never go for 100% until you beat the story. Too late for me though since I'm in too deep. Have the first island nearly done, and then I can move onto the second one. The only game where I mostly enjoyed 100% was Spider-Man; Horizon was a chore, and so is this game. Otherwise it's good; I enjoy the combat, game is gorgeous, story is meh, world design is okay in terms of exploration, but all the little details are great. I'll move onto Miles Morales after this game.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I appreciate your educational response but there's no need to be condescending. Real history or not, the game doesn't really illustrate well the villains motivations, ways, ambitions or anything, treating them like generic evil conquerors from Saturday cartoons, with zero tactic, strategy or skill.
Without dropping spoilers, I think you missed the point of the Mongol invasion in this game. While they're villains, I'd classify them as little more than the catalyst for the actual story that takes place.

As for the game itself, it really surprised me. I was incredibly down on it until halfway through the 2nd area. The 1st area felt very introductory and more of what you've seen before in just about every other open world game. The 2nd introduced more interesting elements. After that I had a blast.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Never go for 100% until you beat the story.
The unfortunate part about this is that the game doesn't always handle it gracefully. Like the archery teacher
talks about finding the student in the second area during a main mission, which is a point you may or may not have reached in his questline. For me it meant a couple more quests looking for the student in the first area knowing I can't find her there.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I got the Platinum, absolutely loved it from start to end.

Great combat, good story and characters, plus the gorgeous open world, which feels more natural to explore than a game like Assassin's Creed, with the wind and animals guiding you.

I played it after Assassin's Creed Odyssey (which I enjoyed) but I found Ghost to be more enjoyable because it was a smaller map, with not as many icons, so felt way more manageable and the side story missions are more enjoyable too.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
That's a hell of a statement. RDR2 is unparalleled from an open world perspective, with so many unique, hand-crafted moments, activities, and stories to stumble upon. No other game has achieved an open world as organic as RDR2, and while I haven't yet played GoT, every review and impression I've read seems to state that its world is repetitive, saturated with filler collectibles that are all exactly the same, and with side quests that that are rote go-from-A-to-B quests with little to no interesting characters. That doesn't seem like the kind of world I would put ahead of RDR2.
I love RDR2 (and obviously it was sitting at second best game of this gen for me, until 2020). I never platinumed it (thanks to the tedious collectibles), but I have 80% of the trophies, and I played a heap of Red Dead Online as well (I'm level 287). I know the map like the back of my hand.

RDR2's open world is amazing, and the hand crafted open world events are great (until you start to see the same ones repeated over and over). I actually think The Witcher 3 has it slightly beaten in terms of the world feeling alive though: it's really hard to put my finger on why, but Novigrad just feels like a real, breathing city more than St Denis. RDR2 does a great job, but the NPC's still feel a bit 'gamey' for me, like they are cardboard cutouts that will disappear as soon as I ride away. I don't know how The Witcher 3 does a better job on that front for me, but it does.

If we're talking about collectibles, then RDR2 is unfortunately the game that is filled with the tedious fetch quest stuff - I'm ok with that stuff up to a point, provided it's drawing me to unique and interesting spots on the map, but RDR2 just ends up taking the piss. GoT is very understated on that front, with the fox/bird elements making them feel a lot less like a checklist, and unique gameplay elements like the haikus and shrine platforming making them feel very handcrafted, rather copy and paste.

From a central story perspective, RDR2 has GoT beaten hands down (and frankly had every game beaten hands down, until TLOU2 came along). But GoT still has a great story, with an interesting antagonist (better than Micah or the Pinkertons IMHO), great character arc, and meaningful ending, and the side story writing was actually brilliant: the Ishikawa and Masako quests are fantastic, and the Norio quest line really ends with a bang too. Yuna, Ishikawa, Lady Masako, Tomoe, and Kotal Khan are all great characters, and well written.

On the graphics front, I'd actually call it a draw. RDR2 has amazing LOD, DOF, and motion blur, that all work together just so to hit it out of the park. Amazing tech. But GoT pulls it back with its stunning lighting and art direction in the open world. I occasionally took screenshots in RDR2, but GoT had me using the photo mode like a fiend, something I never do in any game.

Which brings us to the final element, where GoT is able to show RDR2 a clean pair of heels and in turn manages to get its nose in front overall: gameplay. RDR2 has a lot of gameplay concessions to story. I understand that choice, even if RDR2 went way overboard with silly choices like the literal camp chores. But GoT prioritises gameplay (also a valid choice).

GoT succeeds because the gameplay is absolutely incredible. Where the RDR2 controls (especially gunplay) so often felt like they were getting in the way, and honestly killed my desire to replay the game, the GoT controls are an absolute joy. I usually hate 'horde mode' gameplay, but the combat in GoT is just so fun that I've found myself getting to max level in Legends, playing a heap of 'horde mode' gameplay. The trump card that GoT has is that unlike RDR2, it's really fun to play. I'm actually not one of these people who think that a game can only be fun; like other forms of entertainment, there can be a heap of value outside just fun (it can be thought provoking, atmospheric, immersive, emotive, etc.). But it's a huge factor in why I rate GoT better than RDR2.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
The unfortunate part about this is that the game doesn't always handle it gracefully. Like the archery teacher
talks about finding the student in the second area during a main mission, which is a point you may or may not have reached in his questline. For me it meant a couple more quests looking for the student in the first area knowing I can't find her there.
Yeah, I noticed that when I beat the first area. I did do all his side quests up to then, so I wasn't lost, but I imagine it may be confusing to others wondering why they weren't brought up earlier.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I love RDR2 (and obviously it was sitting at second best game of this gen for me, until 2020). I never platinumed it (thanks to the tedious collectibles), but I have 80% of the trophies, and I played a heap of Red Dead Online as well (I'm level 287). I know the map like the back of my hand.

RDR2's open world is amazing, and the hand crafted open world events are great (until you start to see the same ones repeated over and over). I actually think The Witcher 3 has it slightly beaten in terms of the world feeling alive though: it's really hard to put my finger on why, but Novigrad just feels like a real, breathing city more than St Denis. RDR2 does a great job, but the NPC's still feel a bit 'gamey' for me, like they are cardboard cutouts that will disappear as soon as I ride away. I don't know how The Witcher 3 does a better job on that front for me, but it does.

If we're talking about collectibles, then RDR2 is unfortunately the game that is filled with the tedious fetch quest stuff - I'm ok with that stuff up to a point, provided it's drawing me to unique and interesting spots on the map, but RDR2 just ends up taking the piss. GoT is very understated on that front, with the fox/bird elements making them feel a lot less like a checklist, and unique gameplay elements like the haikus and shrine platforming making them feel very handcrafted, rather copy and paste.

From a central story perspective, RDR2 has GoT beaten hands down (and frankly had every game beaten hands down, until TLOU2 came along). But GoT still has a great story, with an interesting antagonist (better than Micah or the Pinkertons IMHO), great character arc, and meaningful ending, and the side story writing was actually brilliant: the Ishikawa and Masako quests are fantastic, and the Norio quest line really ends with a bang too. Yuna, Ishikawa, Lady Masako, Tomoe, and Kotal Khan are all great characters, and well written.

On the graphics front, I'd actually call it a draw. RDR2 has amazing LOD, DOF, and motion blur, that all work together just so to hit it out of the park. Amazing tech. But GoT pulls it back with its stunning lighting and art direction in the open world. I occasionally took screenshots in RDR2, but GoT had me using the photo mode like a fiend, something I never do in any game.

Which brings us to the final element, where GoT is able to show RDR2 a clean pair of heels and in turn manages to get its nose in front overall: gameplay. RDR2 has a lot of gameplay concessions to story. I understand that choice, even if RDR2 went way overboard with silly choices like the literal camp chores. But GoT prioritises gameplay (also a valid choice).

GoT succeeds because the gameplay is absolutely incredible. Where the RDR2 controls (especially gunplay) so often felt like they were getting in the way, and honestly killed my desire to replay the game, the GoT controls are an absolute joy. I usually hate 'horde mode' gameplay, but the combat in GoT is just so fun that I've found myself getting to max level in Legends, playing a heap of 'horde mode' gameplay. The trump card that GoT has is that unlike RDR2, it's really fun to play. I'm actually not one of these people who think that a game can only be fun; like other forms of entertainment, there can be a heap of value outside just fun (it can be thought provoking, atmospheric, immersive, emotive, etc.). But it's a huge factor in why I rate GoT better than RDR2.
Hmm very interesting, thanks for the write up. I think this might be the first time I'm hearing someone call the side characters well written and interesting, since most reviews I've read pegged them as one dimensional. In any case RDR2 and TW3 are my top two games of last gen, so I'll definitely need to play GoT eventually to see what it's like. Seems like I have a lot to look forward to though.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Hmm very interesting, thanks for the write up. I think this might be the first time I'm hearing someone call the side characters well written and interesting, since most reviews I've read pegged them as one dimensional. In any case RDR2 and TW3 are my top two games of last gen, so I'll definitely need to play GoT eventually to see what it's like. Seems like I have a lot to look forward to though.
As someone who has literally no experience in the ps ecosystem until 2016, this game spoke to me more than any other. I played nearly all the exclusives on ps4 and this was the one I loved. Jin Sakai and the VA portraying him are incredibly unique. It's not a paint by the numbers character. It REALLY isn't. That's another reason I loved RDR2 - Arthur is such a far cry from every other character in games. But Jin is different in that he can be at peace, he can be noticeably upset and disconcerted, he's rarely angry. His disposition is what makes him special to me. I really connected with this game, a game that makes the environment special and alive

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It is well made, and as stated, the combat is top notch for the genre. I am about six hours, and I will certainly put in more time.

However, SP mistook dull for stoic. Every character and conversation is a complete bore, including Jin. There is nothing wrong with the voice work, but there is no spark of personality resonating from any of the characters I have run into so far.

I might be crazy, but I am also not blown away by the visuals. They are sharp enough, but the forests and parts of the island look very muddy to my eyes. Perhaps my HDR set up is off, but AC: Valhalla looks great on my set up. Perhaps the visual treat comes in the later areas.

The game is an all right first entry, but the idea that this is superior experience to any of the recent AC titles is almost laughable, even with those games being as unstable as they are. All of the last-gen entries, Unity included, are infinitely more interesting experiences than Ghost. SP needs to borrow some of ND or Insomniac's writers next time to add some life into the writing. The last Infamous was also weak in that regard.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Hmm very interesting, thanks for the write up. I think this might be the first time I'm hearing someone call the side characters well written and interesting, since most reviews I've read pegged them as one dimensional.
I never quite understood that criticism either. I feel the same way when people describe The Witcher 3's combat as trash: it's no Dragon's Dogma (I love that game), obviously, but I still enjoyed the combat. For GoT, the only issue with the side characters is that there aren't that many, it's a much narrower and more focussed story (unlike say RDR2, which I'd characterise as a huge, sprawling story). What's there is great though.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still going through it. Honestly it reminds me of the PS2 GTA games more than anything else lol.

I'm a little bored by it but I want to see the story through. The Legends mode is pretty fun with friends!

It is well made, and as stated, the combat is top notch for the genre. I am about six hours, and I will certainly put in more time.

However, SP mistook dull for stoic. Every character and conversation is a complete bore, including Jin. There is nothing wrong with the voice work, but there is no spark of personality resonating from any of the characters I have run into so far.

I might be crazy, but I am also not blown away by the visuals. They are sharp enough, but the forests and parts of the island look very muddy to my eyes. Perhaps my HDR set up is off, but AC: Valhalla looks great on my set up. Perhaps the visual treat comes in the later areas.

The game is an all right first entry, but the idea that this is superior experience to any of the recent AC titles is almost laughable, even with those games being as unstable as they are. All of the last-gen entries, Unity included, are infinitely more interesting experiences than Ghost. SP needs to borrow some of ND or Insomniac's writers next time to add some life into the writing. The last Infamous was also weak in that regard.

Agreed

Jan 29, 2018
I've played like 5 hours of this game so far and I haven't seen a koi pond yet. Disappointed!

I am really enjoying it though. The open world seems crafted in such a way that you constantly have a gorgeous landscape laid out in front of you. I've done a bunch of missions with Master Ishikawa looking for his former student and I really like the way his story plays out over multiple 'episodes'.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's very pretty. The slickness of some of the combat feels pretty cool at times. And some of the cutscenes are pretty alright.

But it gets old very quickly. I'm halfway through the second act (put it on hold waiting for the PS5, and will maybe go back eventually), and man does it feel like "oh... so... we're just gonna keep doing this then."

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I've played like 5 hours of this game so far and I haven't seen a koi pond yet. Disappointed!

I am really enjoying it though. The open world seems crafted in such a way that you constantly have a gorgeous landscape laid out in front of you. I've done a bunch of missions with Master Ishikawa looking for his former student and I really like the way his story plays out over multiple 'episodes'.
I hate the lack of variety in the missions. Most of them just requires you to find footsteps and follow them. So boring.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I don't agree that there is much to explore. The enemy camps, fox shrines, meditating spots and useless cosmetic collectibles are not that interesting. You might run into a quest, but for the most part they are the same thing done over and over again. Climbing trials are fun I guess.
That's the thing - if you don't enjoy those things, I don't think skipping it and rushing through the story is going to help someone's opinion of the game. The story is bland.

Jan 29, 2018
I hate the lack of variety in the missions. Most of them just requires you to find footsteps and follow them. So boring.

I can definitely see that getting old if the frequency keeps up. Luckily they never seem to make you follow footprints all that far before they give you some dudes to kill. Half the time I turn around at the end of a mission and I can still see that camp or town I started from. The missions feel very bite-sized, so I can still do one or two without having to settle in for a long session.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only partly though the game, so idk what your looking for, but first off, the narrative crux of the game isn't "How complex our enemies are", but "How do we the samurai, who value honor, remain honorable against this seemingly unstoppable force". For that kind of story, you don't necessarily need the antagonist force to be anything but very powerful so that the characters are forced to change themselves to survive.

Second, while I understand that the game itself is not particularly concerned with historical accuracy (the Samurai not even actually existing in the era that this game takes place in), it's a little weird to say "Why can't these conquerers have some moral nuance to them?!" The very act of conquering a nation is a cruel, brutal, sadistic grab for power out of greed, bloodlust, and a complete disregard for people who have done nothing to you or have the resources to resist you. There is no such thing as a gentle, kindly conqueror. The most you can get is if, after overtaking the power structures of an area, the conquerors may decide that pillaging, raping and burning your village/city might be less pragmatic in the long term than just letting you stand and run things, but make no mistake that any conqueror is out to put their victims completely under their power and they will only exist on their terms.

But if you want nuance beyond that, then I think the game is doing a decent job with Khotun Khan so far. He's ruthless, but he's also intelligent as a conqueror. Rather than just murdering indiscriminately, he studied Tsushima's language, economic structure, and culture. As a result, he's going about conquering them in a fairly intelligent way, negging Lord Shimura to bow to him in exchange so that his conquest will be less bloody for everyone involved. In no way does this make him any less evil as a conqueror (because, again, by definition conquerors are assholes), but it does frame him as considerate, intelligent, and ambitious.

This might change if I keep going and the story has him drop these qualities for whatever reason, but they're consistent so far.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most overrated games on PS4 IMO. I played and enjoyed it, but it's a 6/10 game tops. Combat system is really fun, but items are overpowered, stealth is hilariously broken, most quests are pretty terrible outside of the Mythic ones, exploration is hobbled by various mechanics like birds and foxes literally handholding you to every point of interest, enemy camps and combat encounters are all close to identical, and so much more.

It does a few things really well, and is an overall solid game. But it feels SO old, it feels like a game from 2015. The combat and art direction do what they can to pull their weight, but theyre working with an otherwise archaically designed game

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I really like it. The graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay is smooth, immersive and involving as fuck. Incredible attention to detail too. Not quite Naughty Dog level, but high nonetheless. There's definitely some repetitiveness and that's a Sucker Punch trademark unfortunately, but it's a lot more toned down than it was in the inFamous games.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This might change if I keep going and the story has him drop these qualities for whatever reason, but they're consistent so far.
I personally disagree at some points, but appreciate your perspective. Khotan Khan was the most decent character for sure. I just think Jin's heroic journey would have felt more significant if his adversaries had felt more capable and powerful.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
also, the way you discover clues is just terrible. You just run around the search area and find markers and jin just makes some stupid remark. Its incredibly dull and boring. Then you follow footsteps to the next location where you rinse and repeat. Then you fight some moguls and rescue some villagers. Its fun for the 1st act and into the 2nd act, but after that its becomes way too repetitive.

For the ps5 era, i would like to see some innovation in the open world genre instead of just making prettier graphics. More engaging gameplay.

Not saying GOT is a bad game, i'd give it 7/10 as I completed it and finished most of the side quests, but its not without its flaws.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
For the ps5 era, i would like to see some innovation in the open world genre instead of just making prettier graphics. More engaging gameplay.
I agree.

What we need is a game where instead of just blindly following a marker on a mini-map, like every open world game, they actually do something innovative, like removing the mini-map entirely, and use cues within the game world itself to draw you in the direction you need to go. And we definitely need more engaging gameplay; somebody should focus on the core combat system of their open world game and actually make it sing, rather than being the afterthought it most often is.

I hope we get a game like that.

Dec 11, 2017
If Ubisoft made this game it would have been panned as the weakest Assassin's Creed game in years.

I had to put this game down after the first act as I was bored out of my mind. Sure, it's pretty (but quite artificial up close) but so is Valhalla. You know what else Valhalla has? Side quests that are actually funny and diverse enough in what you have to do. I came across far more varied quests in the first 2-3 hours of Valhalla than I did in my time in GoT. Maybe I overreached in exploration in that first act I played, but it seemed like the majority of the world was completely dead.

I thought I was going crazy thinking this was one of the most overrated games in recent memory, but I had a friend confide that he thought the same. I've mentioned it before, but the praise this gets screams of exclusivity bias. The hype really didn't add up to me.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
When they originally went in to a deep dive reveal of the game and I saw how it was basically not doing anything new with open world design, I was very disappointed since I'm a bit burned out on X1/PS4 era rote open world design. After seeing reviews confirm that despite being very positive on it, I put it off until I could play it on PS5. Now I'm nearing the end of Act 1.......and it's exactly how I figured. It's fine. It's pretty. Combat is pretty fun (for a while). But what you actually do in the world is pretty much the same few things over and over and over. Stealth is boring (I'm also getting a bit tired of AC style stealth). Combat is fun at first but quickly gets repetitive and stale. The story is completely passable but I really don't care about seeing it to the end and none of the characters are interesting. I'm pretty much on the verge of dropping the campaign and the only thing powering the fumes at this point is the very pretty visuals and finding new things to make my samurai look cool cosmetically.

I will say though that the Legends mode is pretty fun and probably was the thing that pushed me over the edge in getting the game in the first place instead of just passing on it. If you have some friends to play with, the raid is the closest I've seen to the level of Destiny's in a console game. That said, outside the raid, even Legends is getting pretty repetitive and further exposes how rote the combat can get.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have to activate something in the PS5 for the 60 fps?

Oct 31, 2017
I just finished this game this week and I honestly think it's one of the greats. One of few games with a nonwhite protagonist, very different beautiful open world, and incredibly fun combat. Largely my feelings are based on the combat because it's not often you get an open world game with controls as tight as this but everything else served well as wrappings for the world it's in. Like sure there's a lot of "ubisoft towers" but these are some pretty gorgeous towers. Characters were enjoyable to meet and learn about and its story was well paced throughout, it never really felt like what I was doing was just trying to get to the "good stuff". Can't believe I slept on this game so long, but it definitely took my personal GOTY, even in a naughty dog year. Really excited to try out legends and see what sucker punch does next.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I played and enjoyed it, but it's a 6/10 game tops. Combat system is really fun, but items are overpowered, stealth is hilariously broken, most quests are pretty terrible outside of the Mythic ones, exploration is hobbled by various mechanics like birds and foxes literally handholding you to every point of interest, enemy camps and combat encounters are all close to identical, and so much more.
Im about 10 hours in and this us where im at. Glad i got it on sale.

the birds and animals doing the exploring for you is so funny. How much do you mot trust the player? lol

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
One of the most overrated games on PS4 IMO. I played and enjoyed it, but it's a 6/10 game tops. Combat system is really fun, but items are overpowered, stealth is hilariously broken, most quests are pretty terrible outside of the Mythic ones, exploration is hobbled by various mechanics like birds and foxes literally handholding you to every point of interest, enemy camps and combat encounters are all close to identical, and so much more.

It does a few things really well, and is an overall solid game. But it feels SO old, it feels like a game from 2015. The combat and art direction do what they can to pull their weight, but theyre working with an otherwise archaically designed game
I agree. I'm gonna add that the graphics aren't that impressive either. ( Playing on ps5 lg c9 oled) The game is very muddy and most character models look very 2015 but the art style is amazing and sometimes the environments do look spectacular. It's not consistent in the graphics department.

I just liberated the first island and started Act 2 and oh boy I'm finding it very hard to keep going. While the combat is fun the story has done nothing for me so far. I don't know if it gets better or if I should stop.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

What you're describing is basically all of the Sony first party open world games, especially Spiderman and Horizon.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
It's very pretty. The slickness of some of the combat feels pretty cool at times. And some of the cutscenes are pretty alright.

But it gets old very quickly. I'm halfway through the second act (put it on hold waiting for the PS5, and will maybe go back eventually), and man does it feel like "oh... so... we're just gonna keep doing this then."
Can't you say this about pretty much any game? I mean Last of Us 2 is a GOTY contender and if you break it down it's just a series of the same kind of encounters over and over just in different places.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
lmaoo the conflicting opinions here are something else.

Either way its def one of the GOTY imo. This is like the Samurai/Ninja game i've always dreamed of.

The MP is pretty underrated too. I'm still having a ton of fun with it