• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
So, ever since Ghost of Tsushima's release in 2020 I've been wanting to get that game, but the overall feedback I would see online about it has sort of prevented me from purchasing it full price. I kept hearing how the game is not only repetitive, but doesn't have any original ideas besides the wind, the mechanics are standard, the story is okish, the design principles are outdated etc. So despite the game being generally well-received and well-sold, I was waiting for a lower price because I didn't know if I'd be willing to buy full price a game that I knew would be fun for some time but wasn't sure I'd enjoy greatly and finish.

My wife had other plans though, knowing how I keep pushing my purchase of Ghost of Tsushima to an unknown future, she got it to me as a Christmas gift. And honestly, I will be forever thankful to her.

Because this is one of the freaking best open-world action-adventure games I have ever played in my lifetime. I love it so much that I've spent hours and hours to create a YouTube 1.5h long analysis of all the awesome (and not awesome because this game definitely has flaws) things that the game is doing.

Mod Edit: Media link removed.

Now, I will of course write the short version here, just posting the link in case you want to see absolutely everything I have to say because... well... there's a lot.

But in short, (and written in a less structured way) Ghost of Tsushima is just an incredibly holistic experience the likes of which there are few in this genre. Everything revolves around a single fantasy - that of a Samurai becoming a Ghost. And that fantasy is at the root of literally every mechanic that the game has.

But what's more, this transformation is not just something that happens through story, it happens through gameplay. We as a player start out as a person who can fight only out in the open, but eventually we get new tools that we ARE NOT forced to use. There's 0 enemies that are like, 'we can be defeated only if you strike us by Kunai first', 'we can be defeated only with a strike on the back'. You can, if you want, keep only fighting like a Samurai (a romanticized version of a Samurai, to be exact) would. But the game so consistently puts us against a big amount of enemies, that these new dishonorable tools we get... well... they're efficient. And become even more so as you progress. So you can either take a lot of risks and spend quite some time defeating 12 soldiers in open combats, or throw a smoke bomb, do a chain assassination of three people, throw kunai, kill the stunned person, throw a bomb that sets people on stun so you could finish them off while they're at it and finish up the last person in open fight, and now you've dealt with these 12 people in a quarter of a time than it would take to do with just the sword. And you do that because it's freaking effective. The player goes through a similar gameplay arc in parallel to Jin's character arc. They are very synched.

The narrative might feel standard because it sets up a very straightforward premise to send us on this path - but that is important because that's the way by which it can combine those two facets - the player and the character, together, by making their motivation and feelings one. There are some amazing moments in the game where Ghost of Tsushima takes advantage of this connection. Plus, even though the PLOT is something you would've seen before, the underlying themes and character relationships are absolutely fantastic, there's so much depth there.

And speaking of depth, - this game has the best melee combat mechanics and stealth mechanics that I have seen in open-world games so far. Everything unlocks layer by layer, as the game progresses the player is presented with an ever-evolving web of choices. And they're all done at a very high quality where even seemingly straightforward mechanics eventually unravel themselves. For example Stances are much more than just 'beat an enemy with a corresponding stance' - you can actually be much more effective if you use different stance moves against enemies that don't match your current stance - again with mastery mimicing the 'ghost' progression, you start by learning the 'samurai' basics - the rules, and then get better and more efficient by breaking them. But I decided to find out if there's a guide that writes about any of this, and out of all I read only a single one does. The rest just goes with the basic 'choose this stance against these enemies' approach.

The game does falter in its open world design and there are some issues with quests, but they're really not big. The thing is, the foundation for all these elements are strong, it's just that there are choices that sort of contradict this foundation (an example would be how the activities in the game are designed to be one-minute detours you do on your way to main objectives, but because the game decided to add question marks they don't really work as a mark you go to uncover....). That is also weird considering how you can see the game being focused on HUD-less open-world design. But maybe some focus group results forced the developers to add some particular mechanics, I don't know.

Now, what is true about all the Ghost of Tsushima reviews is that the game is not novel. It doesn't have any new additions to the genre with the exception of wind, really. But, I also think that... well.... the gaming discourse focuses too much on novelty and not enough on craft. There are games which add novelty but have deep foundational, structural and mechanical issues and they're better received than Ghost of Tsushima, which doesn't have novelty but does most of the things it does impeccably. Like, it's so good at connecting everything together from design, narrative, directorial and technical stand-points, it's really insane what the developers have managed to achieve.

Even though they do different things and are not comparable games, in terms of recognition I believe Ghost of Tsushima deserves as much as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild did for reimagining a lot of open world principles. Because in the end, even though Ghost of Tsushima doesn't reimagine anything, I can hardly think of a considerable list of open-world games that does all the things GoT does as well as GoT does. It's very holistic, polished, and with tons of layers.

TL:DR - I got into Ghost of Tsushima expecting a fun but standard (and probably forgettable in the long-run) open-world action-adventure, and what I experienced was one of the best open-world action-adventure games I have played in my ~25 years of consciously playing video games and ~10 years of working in the video game industry. I love it and it will certainly be a huge inspiration to me as a developer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Eh, I thought it got pretty boring and repetitive. It didn't have enough variety to sustain itself for as long as it is.

Map is broken up into three parts with a three act structure, but you do the same open world activities from start to finish. I felt satisfied with the gameplay loop after the first act, but then had to do it two times over again which soured the whole game.

Devs need to learn their games don't need to be so damn long. Less is more sometimes.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Its unique in some ways (the wind, art direction) but overall, Ubisoft could've easily made this game

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I love this write up. Game is an all timer for me. I have spent countless of hours just roaming around. It's one of my rare platinum's and I played the hell out of the expansion and Legends.

I will watch your video later, OP.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Its unique in some ways (the wind, art direction) but overall, Ubisoft could've easily made this game
How I feel too. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's a really fun and gorgeous looking game, but it's not some innovator in the genre that changes how everything after it is perceived (i.e. BOTW). It felt like comfort food in the same way Assassin's Creed is for me.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021

I worked at Ubisoft until April last year. Which game we have released in the past years that competes with the overall quality of Ghost of Tsushima? :)

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
It is definitely an amazing game, I adored my time with it, I definitely plan to replay it when I get a ps5.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine. Does exactly what it claims to and nothing more or less than that. Well-made open world samurai game, but to me, nothing transcendent or surprsing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I thought it got pretty boring and repetitive. It didn't have enough variety to sustain itself for as long as it is.

Map is broken up into three parts with a three act structure, but you do the same open world activities from start to finish. I felt satisfied with the gameplay loop after the first act, but then had to do it two times over again which soured the whole game.

Devs need to learn their games don't need to be so damn long. Less is more sometimes.

Yeah. At the end of the day the game only has a few select activities repeated over and over again, and even the story missions generally feel pretty repetitive after a while. Like a lot of modern Ubisoft-style open world games, it feels like it has a few hours of content that's then dragged out ad nauseum to justify the length of a "full game".

The enemy variety is extremely low, and the number of truly unique scenarios you encounter winds up being similarly anemic by the endgame. If the game had more flexibility or allowed the player more creative options for dealing with problems, a la MGSV, I don't think this would be as much of a problem as it is, but the game REALLY seems to focus on presentation first and gameplay second, so once the veneer of the presentation starts to fade, I think the game doesn't have a lot to hold it up.

I was similarly completely burned out by the time I got to Act III and the game expected me to do a bunch of the same stuff I was already doing just to trigger the final boss fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
The story and characters are great, the combat is fantastic and the art direction is fabulous. The real issue with the game (and I had a similar gripe with HZD) is that I just got kinda' bored halfway through with regard to the open world part of it. There's an awful lot of repetition and copy/paste samey-ness as you progress through the game, and not as much of a sense of discovery as I would like. I'd like to hope that they could rectify a lot of this in a sequel.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021

I don't think all the repetitiveness is equal. It is true that, in terms of activities, with 49 Fox Dens, the game is repetitive. But also, each Fox Den takes one minute to do. The pacing in the game is very deliberate, and I found that even when I would discover another same thing to do (which wouldn't have happened like that if the game would've fully followed its Hudless design principles it has established but I digress), I never was as bored as let's say when exploring The Witcher 3 open-world outside of quests, because there the samey question mark locations which would eventually make me feel like I'm wasting my time. In Ghost of Tsushima every question mark that's not a quest takes literally a minute to do. Shrines are the exception - they take 3-5 minutes. And the missions take full advantage of the game's fantastic combat and stealth systems, so they always have a high note, even some of the worse designed quests.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worked at Ubisoft until April last year. Which game we have released in the past years that competes with the overall quality of Ghost of Tsushima? :)
Respectfully, I think that Ghost's combat is tighter and more fun than Assassin's Creed (closest Ubi comparison since they are both 3rd person, melee/stealth games), which goes a long way to making the game more enjoyable for me since combat is one of the main gameplay pillars. But the map and side activities are roughly on par with Ubisoft's open world offerings imo.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
How I feel too. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's a really fun and gorgeous looking game, but it's not some innovator in the genre that changes how everything after it is perceived (i.e. BOTW). It felt like comfort food in the same way Assassin's Creed is for me.
No one ever actually puts into words to me what exactly BOTW innovated on. Assassins Creed is the one that actually innovated and created a lot of the open world formula that is so overused these days, in BOTW for example.

It's a decent title for the first Zelda ubisoft style game ( a game style that is very much in vogue everywhere) but I hope the sequel massively improves upon it. No one just ever told me in not vague words what it was that it innovated.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Outstanding game. Finished the main game and most of the DLC. Will have to get back to it again.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
No one ever actually puts into words to me what exactly BOTW innovated on. Assassins Creed is the one that actually innovated and created a lot of the open world formula that is so overused these days, in BOTW for example.

It's a decent title for the first Zelda ubisoft style game ( a game style that is very much in vogue everywhere) but I hope the sequel massively improves upon it. No one just ever told me in not vague words what it was that it innovated.

What BotW has done successfully is an open-world game where, after the tutorial section, you can go in any direction and do anything and have everything be relevant for your personal journey. There's a lot of things related to map design (which affects discovery) and hidden progression systems that make it possible, barely any open world game has done that - usually there's a more strict linear progression even in more open-ended games.

EDIT: I don't know if that's 'not vague enough', but there's just a LOT of really awesome stuff that BotW does.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It was a good open world game that mostly shines on its art direction. Everything else is pretty standard. Fun, but nothing that would make for lengthy conversation.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Yeah it was a real surprise for me. I'm not that interested in samurai stuff, and am pretty hohum on open world games these days, but I really enjoyed Ghost. Looked amazing, liked the combat, had some good side quest lines, liked the characters and plot. Was one of the surprise games of last gen for me as I wasn't really interested in it before reading reviews and impressions.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

My advice for anybody playing it is to just skip the side missions entirely and focus on the main quest so you don't burn out on the formula before completing the story. The side content does not do enough to justify its existence imo.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
What BotW has done successfully is an open-world game where, after the tutorial section, you can go in any direction and do anything and have everything be relevant for your personal journey. There's a lot of things related to map design (which affects discovery) and hidden progression systems that make it possible, barely any open world game has done that - usually there's a more strict linear progression even in more open-ended games.

EDIT: I don't know if that's 'not vague enough', but there's just a LOT of really awesome stuff that BotW does.
I appreciate you taking the time to give your thoughts about it, but yeah I leave no wiser about it than I already was.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Respectfully, I think that Ghost's combat is tighter and more fun than Assassin's Creed (closest Ubi comparison since they are both 3rd person, melee/stealth games), which goes a long way to making the game more enjoyable for me since combat is one of the main gameplay pillars. But the map and side activities are roughly on par with Ubisoft's open world offerings imo.

There's a difference, IMO, between the 'map' (which is not problematic) and the way the 'map is uncovered' - which is the problematic part of Ghost of Tsushima. It's a real shame that Ghost of Tsushima has icons, because it was not designed as an icon-based open-world game and the icons sort of become an unnecessary crutch.

But to me personally that's an aspect I can ignore in favor of what it does well, but I know not everyone can.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I didn't think it was undeappreciated. People loved it and it got crazy word of mouth when it came out, borderline becoming viral in many ways.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I didn't think it was undeappreciated. People loved it and it got crazy word of mouth when it came out, borderline becoming viral in many ways.

I don't know, I have seen so much feedback about it being standard and not interesting to talk about (including in this very thread! :D ) that I find it very underappreciated.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I consider Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn to be pretty similar in the sense that I loved them both, but they left a lot of room to grow with sequels. With Forbidden West you can see all the improvements Guerrilla made in virtually every facet of the game over the first entry, and in retrospect it makes Zero Dawn look pretty barebones in comparison. I fully expect the same thing to happen when Sucker Punch makes GoT 2. It was a very good game but still fairly standard in a lot of its open world design. Which isn't even necessarily a bad thing, because again I really loved Tsushima and filling out the map, but when I play the game I'm just thinking of all these ways they can do this stuff even better.

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
Loved this write up. I had pretty much the same impressions. It was my favorite game in 2020, I fucking loved the art direction, probably the game that I spend the most time just looking at the environments and wondering how beautiful they were, it has an amazing combat system and I got heavily envolved with the story and the narrative.

Also, you should definitly give the Legends mode a try.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Honestly, I loved every moment of my time with Ghost of Tsushima, but I freely admit to being a sucker both for well-crafted open worlds and the samurai cinema it adoringly imitates. It wears its influences (including the open world hits of yesteryear, like Shadow of Mordor) on its sleeve, which means it's always predictable, the story included - but if you can accept that, it remains a solid game. From a technical point of view it's incredible what they managed to squeeze out of the PS4, both visually and (surprisingly) with those near instant load times.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I also got it for Christmas. But I stopped playing because it was so monotone and joyless/depressing. Yes, I get it, the invasion isn't supposed to be fun, and it's a revenge story. But I just didn't need that in the dead of winter. The repetition wasn't helping, either. Maybe I'll return to it later.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
imo the open world was incredibly standard and even the neat little disguises that i enjoyed the first few hours ended up being more frustrating than anything. For example the wind mechanic to replace traditional gps/compass... neat idea, fits well with the game but i got sick of constantly swiping and wished for a simple compass on top like so many other games have done it.

also, the open world itself felt like it was devoid of any actual surprises. I really wish that instead of having a fox lead me predictably to the same kind of thing, it'd sometimes lead me to something... unique. Like in RDR 2 there's a bunch of unmarked quests and interactions or stuff to find in the open world. Nothing like that in GoT. Despite all the effort the game goes through to hide icons and markers, it still ends up being just as predictable as a 2014 asscreed game.

in the end i liked the game but i think the open world was actually one of its weakest aspects. The combat and aesthetics carried it hard.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I was alctually disappointed with the world itself and the side activities. After following 10 foxes, I was done. I felt like nothing was particularly interesting, it lacked a sense of discovery and mystery unlike Origins where I loved exploring the pyramids or solving the papyrus for example. Oh and tsushima's Map is quite barren too.
Tbh though, I'm looking forward to playing it again in the future because I feel like I missed something during my first playthrough (I stopped after getting into the 2nd area).

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Having played through it recently, I was enamoured with it initially, but was pretty bored with jt by the time I reached the 2nd area of the game. It felt like what I saw in the first several hours, was what I saw for the rest of the game. It doesn't really throw anything at you besides the same combat, same encounter design, same quest design, brain dead exploration, etc, over and over again. In the end I just blasted through the back half of the game and put it away.

I haven't played a Sucker Punch game since the original Infamous, yet this seemed to suffer from a lot of same problems I had with that game. Great atmosphere though, and it's beautiful to look at both in terms of the overall world, and in it's set pieces. Probably would have been better as a linear/wide-linear game.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
One of my favorite games last year. I really dug the combat, the story and how everything flowed together. Icons I can ignore same as I don' t have to do every single repeating side quest.

However, the overall combat, story, characters and overall experience very much shined for me. Love this game.

Edit: Out of Ubi open world games, Odyssey was my favorite, but I bypassed a lot of side content there as well (on PC so "helped" myself to some extra XP :P).

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I feel like we've kind of hit a tipping point where the Tsushima/Assassin's Creed/Witcher 3/Horizon style of open world game has a dedicated enough block of detractors (and those detractors are disproportionately the people who talk about games a lot) that even the very best executed ones end up feeling like the discourse on them is fairly tepid. I like the modern AC games, and Tsushima was basically a better one of those, so I really liked Tsushima, but a lot of people open up that map full of icons and nope out, and no amount of quality overcomes that.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my favorite games of the last decade, the art direction and presentation of the world just makes it a joy to be in, i love the different ways to engage with combat, the music and things like the haiku spots are just gorgeous and the story and characters were actually really well done imo. I just want more, Iki Island was also great but after i was done it was very much "I could carry on doing stuff in this world for much longer."

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It does a lot very well, and has some awesome QOL features for an open world game (NPCs matching pace with you while they ramble on is a phenomenal idea). However, there are also weird little pockets of it that feel ancient design-wise, like it's an open world game that came out a year after Infamous Second Son, and those keep it from greatness imo. I also think some of the ideas, like the birds and the foxes leading you around, present the idea of innovation but really end up doing the exact same thing as an icon on a map.

The game was also terribly balanced. You're too easily able to spend way too much time in the initial area, and unlock the majority of the meaningful upgrades, making the rest of the game easy and less rewarding.

I really enjoyed my time with it, and I think it built a very strong foundation for an incredible sequel. But it's not quite at the top tier of Playstation exclusives for me.

Last edited:

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Tbh I really enjoyed the first several hours, but it got repetitive fast and I lost interest.

Despite that, I'll give it another chance if (when?) it comes to PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the game, one of my favs last gen and can't wait for a sequel. It's sad how it's been co-opted by some as the "anti-TLOU2" game because both are great (tho certainly not for everyone!) and both have Sony laughing all the way to the bank.

Beautiful game world. I'm also a bit of an unreliable vote tho since my brother in law worked on it 😂

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
also, the open world itself felt like it was devoid of any actual surprises. I really wish that instead of having a fox lead me predictably to the same kind of thing, it'd sometimes lead me to something... unique. Like in RDR 2 there's a bunch of unmarked quests and interactions or stuff to find in the open world. Nothing like that in GoT. Despite all the effort the game goes through to hide icons and markers, it still ends up being just as predictable as a 2014 asscreed game.

GoT has a bunch of unmarked quests/unique encounters. There's one where you have to help a monk with burning dead bodies of people who fell from illness, one where you save a woman from a building in fire, one where you save a village from trebuchets attacking it, one with two women on the beach and a dilemma, and a bunch of others.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I've not beaten it yet, but it's a game I've been chipping away at since it launched. I did too much of the side stuff and got bored so that's my fault. Next time I go back to it, I think I'll stick with the main story and optional character stories and not try to kill every bandit I come across.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Played it Day 1. Loved the presentation.

I think going forward the perfect sequel would have more set pieces. OP, what do you want in a sequel?

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I was mostly just disappointed by people selling me on it by saying it was a better AC than the ACO games, but the stealth... Really wasn't that good, and in many ways the environmental design just didn't support stealth gameplay. The most effective tool for it was to just get in open combat to bunch the enemies together and pop a smoke bomb to chain assassinate. Which I guess was a thing in AC2 too, but isn't that assassiny.

And like a few other people said, the open world gubbins were pretty big standard too. I'd argue actually a step down from infamous, tbh. Since at least in that, there were a few dozen hand placed orbs that took a bit of thinking to reach, whereas here you just followed the markers

The action combat was good, at least

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I feel like this is a game that falls into the list of "really hitting its peak early, and then tapering off afterwards." Act 1 was absolutely brilliant all the way through, but once you
saved Jin's uncle
, the game doesn't really hit that same level of wonder and excitement, at least for me. On my 10th fox, or 5th spring bath, I was getting a little worn out. The village raids/fights were cool, and the combat is definitely one of the game's standouts, but it's marred by the extremely strict stance system.

I honestly don't think GoT is underappreciated at all, at least when you look outside of a comparatively tiny enthusiast forum. It was praised to the moon and back, shined with the multiplayer aspect, and proved to be a massive success for Sucker Punch. It's a very good game, but it's pretty by the numbers one also. It's Assassin's Creed, but with Sony behind it.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017

It's fine if you don't like BOTW, but there's a lot of elements that make it a unique experience in the space of open world games. And yeah, not all of that is completely new, but it doesn't have to be and just has to come together to create a different feeling experience. I personally love the game but think there's plenty of areas that could be way better (i.e. combat and variety)

I think the main thing for me is that BOTW's emphasis is not on "questing" but in the actual exploration and traversal, which in most other open world games is typically fast traveling to the nearest spot and walking over to the marker to trigger the next event.

Just a few points.
  • The world is built with huge scale but limited on-screen guidance and tools and an emphasis on verticality (climbing, paragliding).
    • Points of interest in the distance and not on the map guide you from location to location rather than breadcrumb trails with start and end markers for quests.
  • The act of traveling from point A to point B in BOTW is a mini-adventure in itself. You may find something that draws you totally in a different direction because there is no set road.
    • Elements like real-time weather or resource constraints in encounters drive spontaneity, so you may have a plan of getting somewhere that gets totally upended, and end up discovering something cool you didn't plan for.
    • This to me is what drives that fun of discovery and why people still play the game actively and share cool stuff they find even 5 years after release.
  • Critical path of the game is non linear and optional. The entire main quest line can be completed immediately after leaving the prologue of the game.
  • Game mechanics are all governed by physics system that can cause unpredictable interactions and ways to unexpected occurrences around the world.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood why people always hit this game with the Ubisoft label, but I never see it for HZD which felt more like Far Cry to me than this felt like Assassin's Creed.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I play Legends with a buddy now and then, but I got bored with the solo campaign pretty quickly. I attributed it to open world burnout at the time, but juggling HFW, CP2077, and DL2 currently, I'm thinking it was the game.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Good game with room to improve. I'm looking forward to see what they can do with a bigger budget in the sequel.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Playing at the moment. One of the best combat, melee in gaming. So refind and heavy. World s beautifull and keeps u in.
Start s slow and im not that much in japanese culture but gameplay keeps me engaged. About half in. Quests re fine and characters re interesting. I dont know how ll it end but u think its one of the games which dont need sequel.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Was a pretty emotional journey. Am always happy to traverse the map and playing on lethal meant that it's a challenge.