• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was incredibly mediocre. It had a few good levels, but the rest was bland as fuck. Probably the worst campaign in the series.
It's on par with 4 only, better only than Judgment. 4 and 5 had one or two memorable level each, I can't remember anything from Judgment whatsoever.
4 and 5 also has the problem of the main cast being laughably inferior to the original, especially Kait, she's a textbook example of a committee-designed 'strong female character' - she's acting like an entitled brat know-it-all and everyone else just quietly accepts and listens to her no matter what despite her not earning that trust from them whatsoever. She also faces zero consequences for straight up defying orders from a superior officer in a military and going on a rogue mission, neither does anyone else.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Gears 5 was absolutely amazing and I enjoyed every minute of the campaign.

Gears 6 in UE5 with the Coalation wizards will blow some minds.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
I loved Gears 5.. apart from the skiff. It didn't add value for me and isn't the gameplay that I come for. It was a distraction that wasn't welcome.
Other than that, Gears 5 like 4 was incredible.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
It was very well received when it was released and people liked it. It's strange its got this weird bad rep ever since.

I found it really cool.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I struggled to play it.
While it certainly looked good, the gameplay itself was dull to me. It was just shooting and slow walking segments.
The open world was full of nothing. Felt like padding to give the illusion of openness, when all it did was separate shooting set pieces from each other. There's literally nothing else to the game.

I think the series needs a massive overhaul.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Started a Gears series campaign play through when I got the Series X at launch. I got to 5 months ago but I also decided to try this one on insane. So this campaign is literally taking me forever because some encounters will take me a week to pass alone, it's just taking me forever to get through it haha but I'm definitely digging it.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Played it on series x. IQ and responsive controls made it a joy to play. Unfortunately, the open world stuff was fluff since I could completely ignored it. I actually like the characters, although I entirely felt like JD and Faiz were going to betray Del and Kait when they came back. Maybe that was cut, it just felt weird that JD shows back up as a good guy.

Honestly, move on from Sera. I just feel the series is tapped out. They even had the zombies in Gears 3. Maybe if they do a Pendulum war prequel. Idk.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Had to force myself through it as I think of just grown tired of this world. Having said that, that's not the gameplay fault but rather the setting.

Putting my own feelings aside it plays beautifully and has some awesome gameplay mechanics.

I just wish it was tacked onto a different setting / story.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it was a great Gears game. I think for it's just that after 5/6 games it's not that exciting anymore even playing coop.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It was pretty inconsistent, the rocket part really dragged which wasn't helped by some truly awful banter between the squad. Spending time with Fahz over Cole is a big no-no.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Loved it. The open world segments were ok. Kait is a badass character.

The game is stunning and has the best HDR implementation out there. Incredible.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The first half was awesome, some of the best Gears ever. But the conclusion to Kait´s story in the middle and the character development as well as the development of the relationships between the young cast were a letdown and the second half was, despite a few highlights, lackluster, imo.

EDIT:
I think Gears 5 is a really good game. My two big gripes are 1) the black hole of no story between when JD is an asshole and when he shows up and is suddenly nice again (it feels like an entire act is missing, to the point that I honestly expected it to be DLC or something),
This exactly. There was so much potential there. The campaign felt like the developers went we need to wrap it up now halfway through the game.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 might just be my favorite of the series. I think the open-area acts could have been spaced out from each other in terms of overall pacing—but I enjoyed the way they broke things up in the chapters themselves. Slow moments to calm things down and the encourage little snippets of exploration without loosing the main drive of the plot.

I think Gears 5 is a really good game. My two big gripes are 1) the black hole of no story between when JD is an asshole and when he shows up and is suddenly nice again (it feels like an entire act is missing, to the point that I honestly expected it to be DLC or something

I liked it in retrospect, similar to Kait it's easy not to buy his change of heart—there's still an air of suspicion about why he's come around. It feels like the game really wants to push you to make the choice against him and then have guilt once you reunite with Marcus since you are responsible for inflicting that grief on him.

Otherwise I find it harder to understand the choice, since it's weighted so much against JD.. I don't think the scene plays as well without the instant "ah, I will instantly stick with the person who has been supporting me throughout the entire campaign" followed by the consequence of seeing the original protagonist in distress—that he's all the more alone because of you.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I tried finishing it twice, both times got bored to fuck with the open world segments and dropped it. It's not done well.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
The first 3 hours and last 3 hours are what Gears goodness is known for.

But the whole exploration, walk thru towns stuffs are the worst thing in the game, extremely pace breaking, boring environment, waste of time. Exploring areas to loot for components is also tedious. I hope they remove all of these in Gears 6.

The story is also terrible, another queen cliche that ends with nothing resolved.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Love Gears 1-3 but I gotta disagree Gears 5 has really bad pacing issues in my opinion, and what really killed it for me was the open world stuff. However, I do think Kait is a great likable character and game looked amazing.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I never got the issues people had with the open world stuff, it's easy enough to beeline to the next storypoint and it though it was kinda nice to have some downtime for exposition/worldbuilding, it doesn't have to be a contant shooting gallery.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I never got the issues people had with the open world stuff, it's easy enough to beeline to the next storypoint and it though it was kinda nice to have some downtime for exposition/worldbuilding, it doesn't have to be a contant shooting gallery.

It felt empty. The vehicle wasn't particularly interesting to drive and there wasn't anything interesting to explore or look at. A desert and a snow field are perhaps the two least interesting environments for an open area.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I bounced off it for some reason. Didn't care for the skiff segments at all... I think I lost the plot somewhere in Gears 4. Don't know who these kids are, don't really care. I'm not even sure who the enemies are. Are we still fighting locust?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Probably the best first party game of the Xbox One gen. The Open World segments were a bit undercooked but I appreciated the change in structure. Kate and Del are a great pairing and JD's arc is a nice swerve. Fuck that dude :)

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 was a mixed bag. The cover shooting parts the series is known for were great but it had some terrible sections and gimmicks. Like laughably bad "stealth" and annoying enemies to fight like DeeBees, Swarm Flocks, Pouncers and Snatchers. The Wardens were a great addition though.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
I disagree, it's the most unconnected story of the franchise. Act 1 is about JD, act 2 about Kait and their "nightmares", then act 3 is about Baird and hammer of dawn and the same with the last one.

Too bad structured, I don't like the new cast either. Fortunately Rod is gone so maybe Gears 6 is gonna be better.

adam3s

Mar 17, 2021
I really liked Gears 5, Hivebusters even more so.

That being said, the change in protagonist was poorly done. They said they changed it due to the story really being Kait's story...so why did they start us as JD again? Worse yet, they made him finally interesting and then changed to Kait.

We should've started as Kait or stayed as JD. By the time the change happened I was invested in JDs arc.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
This thread made me play Gears 5 and I think it was really oversold. The core game is good and has impressive production values, but it is nothing special. I'm at the end of Act 2 and they've got me bouncing all over the map visiting different towers and now an abandoned mine to get some explosives. This is just very rudimentary filler and basic game design. I think this series ran its course with the original trilogy and really didn't need to continue.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the first two acts, but it felt kinda aimless afterwards. I didn't hate the open world stuff, but I'd rather they tie the extras into the main plot that our characters are doing. Otherwise there's not much motivation to do them. Its kind of crazy we got this big of a AAA game less than 3 years after part 4, but Xbox was hurting for a big exclusive at the time so you can feel it was rushed in spots.

Hivebusters was also a great act of gears, so they know how to do it. Just need to put it all together for a whole game.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the open world was incredibly boring and the combat encounters were designed around co-op with a thousand garage doors to stand in front of. Cutscenes made me laugh. Gameplay felt very shallow, really obvious whenever we were in a combat area. Exploration to get drone upgrades or whatever felt pointless. Shooting stuff was fun but got old fast. Really thought this game was just mediocre

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
I enjoyed Hivebusters. It had better pacing and I liked the characters. Gears 5 isn't terrible, but it wasn't anything memorable like Gears 1-3 for me.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are very interesting moments, set-pieces and environments. But overal nothing really did grab me. It was enough to play through it once, but I honestly barely remember any of it. We started playing the DLC right after but we've had our fill of Gears at the time and barely touched it.

TKWarner

Feb 28, 2021
I was disappointed. The game had the best Atmos sound I've experienced and the graphics were great compared to most other games, but I only enjoyed small segments of it.

The story elements were so weak that I was convinced Gears needs a fresh start for any future entries or that The Coalition should work on something completely different. And the pacing bored me as the game dragged on. I could get a very similar gameplay experience from Gears 1-3, but those are more complete games overall.

I think the Gears formula is getting a bit tired. I would like to see something completely different rather than Gears 6.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
The farther I get from it the less I liked the open world stuff. It's a much needed change but it feels pretty basic.

The Hive buster DLC reminded me of why I like linear gears.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I've finished it twice. I'd describe it as good not great. It was also very buggy. On both playthroughs I had to either restart at a previous checkout or restart the chapter due to a progress blocking bug.

Oct 28, 2017
The quality of the last two Gears games has me jealous as a Halo fan. The franchise has been handle so much better than the latter. I still boot up 5 for the multiplayer every now and then. The Series update is nuts at 120.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game. The story felt incomplete though, which is strange for such a long campaign. Kinda wish Hivebusters would've addressed that.

It's one of the best feeling shooters around. They really learned a lot after Gears 4 was a bit flat.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's easily my least favourite Gears. The story just felt like such a rehash and not even remotely impactful. The second half of the game was also really repetitive, and the final boss was a huge letdown as well.

The hivebuster campaign was much better!

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Something about it bored me, I still have it installed but keep trying it and stopping.
I'm somewhere in Act 3, I think.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gears 5 might be my favorite implementation of HDR in a game. GT7 and red dead 2 are a close second and third.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It is easily the best of all the Gears games, has the best visuals, sounds and gameplay. I do feel however, the campaign was a step in the right direction and I won't beat the team down as this was their first foray into open world game design, even if it wasn't perfect.

Personally I think we're in for a treat with the next game, that goes for both the new IP and the Gears games.