• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a Switch owner for over a year, but I feel I've barely touched the console or played any games in it. I saw some sale going on and I thought it was a nice chance to get this, as I was craving for something with a cool story that I could play in the bed relaxingly. And seems like I made the right choice, as I'm about 5 hours in it, and I'm loving it so far.

I haven't actually played a Fire Emblem game since Awakening, I mostly skipped Fates, and it feels like the series has gotten some major changes since then. The monastery and the mechanics around the bonds between the characters feel like a big improvement to what I remember, and while the setting really gives me some Trails of Cold Steel III vibes, I think it's executed quite uniquely. The game seems to have a lot of cool world building going on in general, and while I find a lot of the designs to be really bland, the personalities of the students and the other characters are quite nice. Also, one of my fears since the initial reveal of the game was that it looked kind of bad in general, but even while I'm playing it 100% undocked, I feel it looks okay after all. Honestly, the first few hours, even if they're understandably full of tutorials, were a joy to go through, as I've been absent from this genre for years and the game has a lot of neat mechanics to play around with.

On another note, I'm just super glad that for once Nintendo wasn't greedy and we don't have three separate versions to enjoy the full extend of the game. I picked Edelgard's house because I loved her design and personality, not sure if I'll even play the other routes any time soon considering how long of a game this is, but in any case, I'm just glad that I have the option for something like that without having to buy three different games. Also, I skipped the Season Pass, not sure if it offers something really worthwhile.

Anyway, just wanted to share some of my initial thoughts on this, as I've been pretty uninterested or disappointed with Switch, and this really surprised me in a very positive way. I'm sure not everyone, especially the veterans of the series, like the direction of the series, but I'm really loving the focus on the interactions and such that has been a prevalent part of FE since Awakening. And while I've not played much yet, I hope the game will only get better from now on.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I'm at the very beginning of the story but having fun so far (just bought it around Black friday). Unfortunately Cyberpunk is right around the corner so its going to take me awhile to finish

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone played here played it on a Switch Lite? I heard complaints that the UI/text was hard to read, but I don't know how valid that is.

OP
OP
Qurupeke

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played here played it on a Switch Lite? I heard complaints that the UI/text was hard to read, but I don't know how valid that is.

I'm playing it undocked on the normal Switch, but yeah, text seems really small. Dialogue text boxes aren't so bad, but stuff like some the tutorial tips seemed impossible to read without actually going closer.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Everything related to the writing is great and generally a step above over the previous best in the series, but I did find myself rushing battles after a certain point in the story. At least in normal-classic, the puzzle box design of classic Fire Emblem just isn't there. The game convinced me that this series is at its best when resources are scarce and unit customization is barely present.

Guess it depends on your eyesight, but I had no problem reading most things. 99% of dialogue is dubbed anyway.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Everything related to the writing is great and generally a step above over the previous best in the series, but I did find myself rushing battles after a certain point in the story. At least in normal-classic, the puzzle box design of classic Fire Emblem just isn't there. The game convinced me that this series is at its best when resources are scarce and unit customization is barely present.
I agree. The battles werent that interesting, especially near the end where you built the things you wanted and are now unstoppable. Im sure some people find that fun but I prefer the puzzle box design.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I thought the game was excellent, but I really do hope the next one (if it goes with a "main hub" approach) builds off the monastery concept and includes a ton of improvements. I loved exploring the castle, but a few things would make it more enjoyable:

- For the love of god, no more "lost items".
- Don't tie motivation to interacting with students. I want to skip ahead to the next day, but I know that my students will do better in class if I simply walk around talking to them and giving them feathers and shit. It's exhausting after a few rounds.
- Seasons would be nice. Let's see some snow on the ground, or some visual changes, or just anything other than the same castle every single time.
- More interesting things to do. The castle just became a giant obstacle course at a certain point for me to sprint from location to another, fast-traveling when necessary, and nearly every single activity being a menu activity.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing on the Lite right now. Conversation text I think is perfectly readable and big. It's the smaller text when you need details on a weapon, what a skill does, or an item description where the text takes a noticeable dive in readability.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I originally felt the same as you OP, I chose Edelgard and thought I wouldn't play through it again. But after finishing the game, I knew I wanted to do a Claude run (once I clear out my backlog). There were some flaws to the game:

-some classes are so OP, it eliminates much of the challenge
-the monastery could have been streamlined, as a lot of it was useless

But despite that, it's possibly my favourite game on the console right now.

EDIT: The text was EXTREMELY small in handheld mode, forgot about that issue

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Edit:

LOL sorry for posting DQ11 impressions in here. I had the wrong thread pulled up :(

Last edited:

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
It's the best FE game in over 10 years, imo. It actually managed to do the impossible and get veterans and newcomers praising it thanks to having a great story and characters. Glad you're enjoying it so far, you are in for a ride. And I'd be surprised if you didn't end up wanting to jump right back in to get the story from another PoV.

My biggest issue is the difficulty is weird. Normal is like story mode, Hard feels too easy most of the time, and Maddening, while very fun, is too big a jump from Hard. A lot of the mechanics like gambits and skills only really shine on Maddening, but it can get extremely frustrating late-game.

As for the season pass, it isn't worth it for the campaign as it ends up being non-canon, but you do get 4 new characters and classes, of which at least two are very useful.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Played 4 hours on Series X and this is the definitive version for sure. All the Switch upgrades plus crisp resolution and 60fps.

Yeah the original PS4 game looked a bit better but honestly I think it looks great now :)
This is the 4th system I have played the game on, and my favorite !
Switch got Kratos and now Xbox has Fire Emblem? Absolutely bonkers day.

My GotY 2019. I loved how granular you could get when it came to building your characters. I felt like I could create the team I wanted my way.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
At least in normal-classic, the puzzle box design of classic Fire Emblem just isn't there. The game convinced me that this series is at its best when resources are scarce and unit customization is barely present.

It isn't there on hard/classic either. Secondary objectives were sorely missed and the maps weren't all that interesting.

Things I would do for another puzzle box FE... I will say that the DLC being a separate thing hits some of those notes.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
It isn't there on hard/classic either. Secondary objectives were sorely missed and the maps weren't all that interesting.

Things I would do for another puzzle box FE... I will say that the DLC being a separate thing hits some of those notes.
I just checked after reading some posts, and it turns out I played it on hard-classic as well. For whatever reason I thought "second difficulty" and my mind just went to "normal" despite easy rarely being a thing in FE.

Without being too specific for OP's sake, some maps after the time skip were what killed the fights for me. Up until that point, the battles felt well paced in terms of number of enemies and space for your units, but the maps with narrow corridors and such were just a slog, and I usually enjoy those in classic FE more than the more open maps.

Played Blue Lions first, in case it makes a difference.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Even on a regular Switch, it's so damn small. I'm 46 though, so my eyes aren't what they used to be when I was younger, so your mileage may vary. It's one of my biggest pet peeves on the console, especially when you compare it to Awakening's excellent text size/clarity.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It's very valid.

t.co

The Text In Fire Emblem: Three Houses Is Too Damn Small

Fire Emblem: Three Houses has some of the most rewarding tactics action and Hogwarts-simulating that you can get. There aren’t many flaws in the game, but there is something that badly needs to be fixed: For a game focused on navigating menus, that text size sure is tiny.

clkoerner.com

Small Type in a Big Game

Fire Emblem: Three Houses suffers from accessibility hindsight If you’re reading this on a desktop computer, this image is roughly the size of the Switch screen. Hold your Switch up to compar…

ECff7NGX4AEGkUL